• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdvertisingAge: Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

In your dreams maybe. A huge chunk of the Live revenue was from advertisement yet MS hiked up the price.
Interestingly, MS pays out a chunk of Xbox Live Gold to EA, and I believe the rate hike was around the same time they started paying out a chunk to Activision as well.

I wonder if Sony will be paying pubs anything out of PS+, other than for the 'free' games.

Blanquito

It's interesting how the topic has somehow migrated to bad things Sony has done in the past. Seems like a common reaction: Oh, more info that MS wants to use kinect for ads? Well, Sony's network sucks! And look, they have a patent on this thing! Sony is just as bad! (Forget that they haven't done anything along those lines yet, just pay attention to something other than the topic at hand.)

On topic, the kinect really is a great tool for advertisers. It's yet to be seen really how bad (EDIT: for consumers) it is -- or even if it is bad. Do I trust MS? No. But I still want to wait and see what they actually start doing. Their history of ads on the dashboard doesn't leave me optimistic, though.

Did he really say they are ramping up the production values in advertising? Seriously?

Wow.....that made me laugh, out loud. Ridiculous.

Scroogled!!

Sony should go on the offensive, really attack Microsoft's over advertising and "scroogling" their customers.

I mean Microsoft are attacking Google at every turn, for practices they openly partake in anyway. Sony should really sink the knife, run Playstation branded adverts directly attacking Microsofts 'always watching' Kinect.

With the NSA fall out etc, and Microsofts obvious NSA partnerships this could really hit hard. Sony could really cripple Microsoft if they got the message right.

E92 M3

Scroogled!!

Sony should go on the offensive, really attack Microsoft's over advertising and "scroogling" their customers.

I mean Microsoft are attacking Google at every turn, for practices they openly partake in anyway. Sony should really sink the knife, run Playstation branded adverts directly attacking Microsofts 'always watching' Kinect.

With the NSA fall out etc, and Microsofts obvious NSA partnerships this could really hit hard. Sony could really cripple Microsoft if they got the message right.

That will be so glorious; with that said, Sony's agenda seems to be "play the nice guy and do everything right". I can seem them launching a vicious marketing campaign, once the dust settles after launch, though.

Scroogled!!

I'd love to see them try. if this works, you can expect to see Sony follow suit. If they did this however, they could end up looking stupid once(if) they implement the camera and take it a little more serious. This is the future of ads, just like incorporating ads in our mobile devices apps,game,etc.

Into

Its not just the DRM, Sony was also suppose to have always online, forcing a camera with each purchase ala Kinect, be anti used games. It was all hyped up to be the truth and it all fell like a deck of cards.

So this entire Sony Too! is beyond tiring, it is also usually said by the same people who pushed it before and got to eat crow. Its like they never learn. Some things are so abhorrent that you cannot defend them, so the best course of action is to also apply it to the other company, in hopes of lessening the blow, its transparent.

Ok, maybe i wrote it a little bit wrong down here but Basically everyone is hailing to sony, but sony could do the same what ms does now. Everyone forgot about the infamous 2011hack where sony didnt admit it for nearly 2months.

Well at least ms admits it but this is just plain horror.

I dont know how to support such a horrendous and tedious way of gaming.... Or entertainment.

Look if you dont want to buy a PS4, that is absolutely fine. But how on earth are you comparing a company getting hacked against their own will to a company manufacturing a console to gather information from you?

Both are negatives for both companies, but the key difference that you either unknowingly missed or tried to pass of as the same: Sony did not chose to get hacked, Microsoft has chosen to not only charge 100 more for their product, but also use that device for their own needs. And they arent even trying to cover it up or say its for your benefit, they are outright flaunting this.

Eventually "Sony will probably do it too" will wear out its usefulness.

The question is do Sony want to leave this kind of money on the table...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising

I tracked down someone who had purchased ads on Xbox Live to find out more about the process. This source also wanted to remain anonymous, for the obvious reasons. “The bigger your spend, the better placements your ad will appear in,” they said. “And they are pretty expensive; for every view I get on Xbox Live, for the same money I get twice that almost everywhere else.” The minimum spend to put your ad in the kind of rotation that might get someone’s attention, according to the source, is $40,000. Many companies spend much more when they buy an ad for their product. “$250,000 will get you a good run for about three weeks,” my source stated. “If you do multiple campaigns like one for a trailer, one for a demo, etc., that's where you start crossing the $500,000 mark.” Keep in mind this money simply puts your ad in rotation, as Microsoft sells multiple campaigns at a time and, if you aim your campaign at your target market, you’ll be increasing the amount you spend on your advertising. Creating an ad campaign can be confusing, but Microsoft helps the process; you tell them how much you'd like to pay for ads, and they help you design your campaign on Xbox Live and explain what you're getting for that money. I spoke to another source who spent $50,000 on an advertisement, and he had nothing but praise for Microsoft’s ad team. “They were super easy to work with and were great about getting back to us in a timely manner,” he said. “Some of the best interaction we had with MS was their Advertising division.” It gets crazier: The data shared with the Penny Arcade Report shows that Microsoft estimates 16 million impressions for an ad during a holiday, so an ad with a $21.50 CPM would cost you a stunning $344,000 to control that spot for the day. You can also buy half-day increments. Microsoft estimates that ads during a normal weekday in the first part of the year enjoyed 9 million impressions, with 15 million impressions over the weekend. Based on these numbers, Microsoft estimates that it would cost $193,500 to control the entirety of an ad spot for your average Monday with what's called a “road block” ad. Start layering on the features, however, and that price can begin to rise very quickly. It would be hard for any company pass up this amount of revenue, and the number of ads being sold is only limited by the amount of ad space Microsoft can fit on your screen; the amount of marketing a design can deliver to the audience may trump both aesthetics and ease of use for gamers. “If you notice the dashboard redesign added in more spots for ads than were on the blades so they have more inventory to sell,” my source explained. I contacted Microsoft and asked how much advertising revenue impacted the profitability of the Xbox 360. “We don’t share this information publicly but we can tell you that, since 2010, the advertising business has grown 142%,” I was told.

Nags

Banned
People supporting this console should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Especially bad are the supporters before all the 180s. Some people must truly hate games.

Well it's a good thing none of you use search engines or cookies or twitter or facebook or GPS or Skype or FaceTIme or cell networks or......

Otherwise you might be slightly hypocritical.

"Ain't nobody gonna use ME for marketing data..../harumph."

Besides, all of you have said that the TV functions are worthless and you'll never ever watch TV through it. (And of course, none of you are ever BUYING a One. I read here it was doomed to not sell a single unit to anyone with a brain, and of course, the brainless won't give much Kinect feedback.) So why the concern?

For a bunch of people that live a good chunk of their lives connected to one network or another, I just find the outrage so full of faux fury and incessant blather.

"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

We on the internet do indeed like ourselves a whole lot and over-estimate our importance to the workings of the world by a great deal.

If you like the games, buy it. If you don't want to be part of the experiment turn the damn camera. It's very simple. If you don't want to buy it, don't. But quit turning everything into some dystopian nightmare.

Remember older ladies and gents, when the point of on-line gaming was for the opportunity to play with/against many more people beyond the local scene? Sickening.

The moment I heard the console was always online, AND the Kinect camera always had to be plugged in, I immediately thought "advertising". Everything about that concept sounded like an advertisers wet dream.

Control. They hunger for control.

SPDIF

People supporting this console should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Especially bad are the supporters before all the 180s. Some people must truly hate games.

Sorry, but I'm not going to feel ashamed of myself for buying a games console. I'll buy one day one and enjoy it. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

FeiRR

Banned
Nah, they should stay classy. I really hate it when companies directly downplay their competition. It's even forbidden in Europe.

Sony should just buy some ads on the dashboard. Imagine the biometric feedback from Xbox fanboys.

Well it's a good thing none of you use search engines or cookies or twitter or facebook or GPS or Skype or FaceTIme or cell networks or......

Besides, all of you have said that the TV functions are worthless and you'll never ever watch TV through it. (And of course, none of you are ever BUYING a One. I read here it was doomed to not sell a single unit to anyone with a brain, and of course, the brainless won't give much Kinect feedback.) So why the concern?

For a bunch of people that live a good chunk of their lives connected to one network or another, I just find the outrage so full of faux fury and incessant blather.

"Out, out, brief candle!
Signifying nothing."

We on the internet do indeed like ourselves a whole lot and over-estimate our importance to the workings of the world by a great deal.

If you like the games, buy it. If you don't want to be part of the experiment turn the damn camera. It's very simple. If you don't want to buy it, don't. But quit turning everything into some dystopian nightmare.

That's gold. So damn true, but lets act like its only MS invading us with ads.

Duster

This article has some good stuff about why online privacy matters.
http://lifehacker.com/5904966/why-you-should-care-about-and-defend-your-privacy

Perhaps the most important quote is this:
"The fact is, that once your data is collected, even if it's aggregate, and stored in one of these databases, it's being actively targeted by people who want it, and it's vulnerable to breaches. One study showed that a year after a database like one of these is broken into, your chance of being a victim of identity theft is four times greater."

This isn't purely about Kinnect either, they can still spy without it but will just have less information.

I don't see anything wrong with questioning what Sony's plans are either even if they are likely to be different to Microsoft's, personally I think the face they talked about closer ties with Facebook suggests they'll be trying to make more money through advertising.

Where's the controversy? I don't get it. Everyone mines data. Everyone on virtually every device and service connected to the internet. Even getting on this forum from any browser submits your information without you knowing or really consenting.

jaypah

Yeah I give MS shit but I'm still buying one. Not because I hate games but because I love games. Sorry but the idea of going the whole generation without experiencing that console is unfathomable to me.

T.O.P

Banned
The XBone is the biggest fucking piece of trash I've seen in my entire life. I am disgusted.

How anybody could find this console is appealing is blowing my mind.

games? u know that things that are what we buy consoles for?

well fuck you too sir

feeling ashamed for a gaming console, that's it, fuck it

Eventually "Sony will probably do it too" will wear out its usefulness.
Always online DRM, restricted used games, no lending, $499, and now camera-based data mining...
tumblr_mhm984aR5W1s1wblho1_400.gif

Every one of those examples is a either a free feature or a free service that came with a device you already bought for something else, or in the case of cell networks, not even something that has anything to do with the conversation. If they made the xbone 100% free and ad supported, that'd be just fine then. But to imply using Skype and seeing ads, when Skype is FREE, to the Xbox One, jeez man, talk about a false equivalence.

Shengar

Search engine don't peek at your ACTUAL living room for information. They don't see your reaction, emotion over the ads that just being displayed. Also as much as us Gaffer aware about this, most Xbone buyers would be completely clueless and bam! MS scenario went well all the way. The most important about advertisement is that you realized you're not being advertise in the place, is it not?

Who here has said that only MS invades us with ads, or that they're the only ones that want to? Quit with the straw men.

MS happens to have an incredibly advanced tool for advertising in the Kinect right now. Thats what this article and thread is about.

Into

Who even said that MS is the only one doing it? Did you miss the entire NSA scandal? It was pretty much all over TV for months. In that post you quoted as "gold" you missed the part where Microsoft wants to put a camera in your living room, going a step beyond even the worst of the worst companies attempting this.

"Out, out, brief candle!
Signifying nothing."

When was the last time you paid to use search engines (or most other web services?). Ads aren't bad. They make it cheaper for consumers to use services in exchange for being exposed to ads.

The problem with what MS is doing is they are charging about $150 for kinect2. Xbone has $50 cheaper gpu and also cheaper ram and yet is $100 more expensive than its competitor. Not to mention having almost anything internet related behind gold paywall.

Basically, most other companies are using ads to make their services cheaper to consumers. MS isn't doing that. They are making their services more expensive so they can make even more profit from advertising. It's true MS is a business but their greed has gone one step too far.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I don't mind a more focused advertising effort towards me and my likes. I have my BBA in marketing though, so I am probably biased.

The problem with this is that for a lot of people Kinect has no appealing applications, so the dark and dirty little trade-offs aren't worth it. You can't compare it to Google getting all up in your business; Google services are free and generally best-in-show. With Kinect 2.0 you're giving people an answer to a question nobody asked, while punching them in the dick.

The problem with this is that for a lot of people Kinect has no appealing applications, so the dark and dirty little trade-offs aren't worth it. You can't compare it to Google getting all up in your business; Google services are free and generally best-in-show. With Kinect 2.0 you're giving people an answer to a question nobody asked, while punching them in the dick.

This is a really great post. Sums it up perfectly.

I think it's funny how the only people who are okay with this are the posters that are firmly in the Xbox One camp. No need to belittle others' privacy concerns because if how your console of choice was designed.

I've always hated ads on my 360, and this just makes them more insidious. I will most certainly be leaving the Kinect unplugged when I'm not using it. Because I definitely don't need yet another device collecting my information.

Eye for an eye makes the world go blind. Gamers have set a precedent for console distributors to charge for simple P2P gaming. Look at the year to year revenues. It's not Microsoft's fault that Sony is looking at that revenue in envy. It's the gamers that is feeding into that revenue.

Nags

Banned
Sorry, but I'm not going to feel ashamed of myself for buying a games console. I'll buy one day one and enjoy it. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

Hey some of those ads will probably play like games.
Maybe you are a huge NFL fan? Football is a game. They got fantasy football covered with NFL.com. Not even being sarcastic here, football is a huge draw for a lot American consumers. They have some great ideas, too bad they were more than ready to shit all over you and your rights.

I know every company makes products to make money but Microsoft have entirely created this product for Microsoft.

Just seems the gamer is barely even a consideration.

We know Sony are no bunnies but they seem to have realised making a product with the gamer in mind is the way to make money.

I'm with all the others who want to see the ps4 smash it now.

JABEE

Millions of people work in advertising, I'm sure thousands of people who surf GAF do, but as soon as a thread pops up about the advancements in tech leading to better feedback for advertising companies it's nearly always derided? Where are the people who work with things like this?
Even if you work in advertising, why would your happiness over the advancements be something that is worth more than consumer apprehension.

It may be good for Marketers, but I don't think consumer worries over being tracked is something that isn't worthy of concern. It is worthy of derision. The benefits to firms largely outweigh the benefits to consumers.

hoos30

The funniest thing is that this very forum uses cookies to serve ads based on the content of the posts. Most of us spend more time on GAF than we will ever spend in front of a Kinect camera.

Top Bottom