• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

clav

Not sure if this is in jest or not, but Doze actually works extremely well in Marsh.

So I'm interested in if they can get Doze 2.0 out for primetime with N.

It's a joke.

Doze is certainly better than Project Volta 1.0, but I think Google can do better.

Maybe I need to change out the battery. Good thing my phone still has that feature.

I'm just hyped for the chirpy chirp. I'm too broke to upgrade my 6P.

It only works when i put it on a table. If i leave it on the carpet or on the couch it never activates

Certain programs like Firefox still don't want to fall back to deep sleep, so I have to close it manually.

I think the problem resides on too many users are on old versions of Android, so most devs are still developing for KitKat + Lollipop. Hence, they can't utilize Marshmallow's or latest Android's features.

You get warning messages when you turn off permissions for those programs that didn't develop for Marshmallow in mind.

Google needs to do something about its update scenario or else it continues to have this development problem.

Doze works as long as your not on a flipping 6p or 5x . Google turned the idle frequency up in March to deal with the lag of the shitty Qualcomms.

810 and 808 couldn't handle the encryption so we lost doze benefits with the higher idle.

Cannot wait for a 820 Nexus to get away from the crap Qualcomm released last year.

Toki767

Doze seems to work perfectly fine on the S7. Kept it in my pocket while I was walking around for an hour and it was still 100% when I turned the screen on.

On N Doze happens any time the screen is off right?

I know there's probably going to be nothing about them, but after Google opened the Android N floodgates way ahead of I/O this year, i wish we could hear something about this years Nexus devices.

I really don't want to make another skip-year, and i also don't really want to lose the stock Android and fast OS updates.

A Chirp-type device would be great if it was made with privacy in mind as much as possible. Which means things like not having people listen to the voice recordings for monitoring the quality of the audio recognition/responses. Otherwise I wouldn't buy it just like I don't use these types of features on my phone.

Asgaro

Alright it's Google Eve

So two questions just respond with your #s

#1 Scale 1-10 How hyped are you for i/o
#2 Scale 1-10 that Google will actually deliver tomorrow

This will be the first Google I/O I'll be following so can't really say...
I was in the Samsung Bada ecosystem until June last year. (Stop laughing)

I know there's probably going to be nothing about them, but after Google opened the Android N floodgates way ahead of I/O this year, i wish we could hear something about this years Nexus devices.

I really don't want to make another skip-year, and i also don't really want to lose the stock Android and fast OS updates.

I'm in the same boat. I'm constantly looking at the prices for the Galaxy S7, but I don't really want that phone. The build quality is nice, I like that it finally has all the features that I've come to know and love from my old Lumia 920 (wireless charging, double-tap to wake, glance/ambient display). But Touchwiz is tolerable at best (instead of disgusting) and the OS updates are still too slow, especially after the successor has been released.

I like stock Android the way it is and prefer the timely OS updates. I've said it before, but Android N really changed the game for me in terms of valuing OS updates. I'd own the 5X already, if it wasn't such a disappointment in every single way for me.

terrier

Doze seems to work perfectly fine on the S7. Kept it in my pocket while I was walking around for an hour and it was still 100% when I turned the screen on.

On N Doze happens any time the screen is off right?

I thought Doze happens when the phone lays flat, untouched. Not sure if updated to happen when screen is off though.

However, while great, doze needs to be easier and have a tutorial since it makes some apps stop working (whatsapp, for example) and won't receive notifications unless you pic the phone.
I had some issues when updating MM becasue i forgot about that and hangouts and whatsapp stopped working after a while.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how the dude who made the OT is like I didn't see one as he proceeds to post at like 2 AM East Coast time. LoL

I'm in the same boat. I'm constantly looking at the prices for the Galaxy S7, but I don't really want that phone. The build quality is nice, I like that it finally has all the features that I've come to know and love from my old Lumia 920 (wireless charging, double-tap to wake, glance/ambient display). But Touchwiz is tolerable at best (instead of disgusting) and the OS updates are still too slow, especially after the successor has been released.

I like stock Android the way it is and prefer the timely OS updates. I've said it before, but Android N really changed the game for me in terms of valuing OS updates. I'd own the 5X already, if it wasn't such a disappointment in every single way for me.
Agreed. If someone would offer me the S7 with stock android, i'd buy it day one. I really hope HTC doesn't fail with the quality of their Nexus devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's my first summer with the Nexus 6P. And it is intolerable. The heat of the day makes a massive difference in usability. The phone lags and stutters because of the increased heat. Dammit.

Saiyan-Rox

It's my first summer with the Nexus 6P. And it is intolerable. The heat of the day makes a massive difference in usability. The phone lags and stutters because of the increased heat. Dammit.

Is the heat having that much of an effect on it? Suppose it's a good thing it's never as warm here lol

Jzero

Mine shuts off when it's hot in my car and i'm using it as a dashcam.

this_guy

You can't 'compete with iMessage' without screwing up SMS.

It's not possible.

If Apple hasn't nailed it in 5 years, nobody can.

That's true. If there was a competitor to iMessage that also hijacks sms things could get really messy. Right now if you're not getting sms and you previously had iMessage at least you know where the issue is. If there's multiple competing standards and you're not receiving sms you'll be screwed.

this_guy

Doze works as long as your not on a flipping 6p or 5x . Google turned the idle frequency up in March to deal with the lag of the shitty Qualcomms.

810 and 808 couldn't handle the encryption so we lost doze benefits with the higher idle.

Cannot wait for a 820 Nexus to get away from the crap Qualcomm released last year.

Sounds like a stock Android problem.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is the heat having that much of an effect on it? Suppose it's a good thing it's never as warm here lol
Believe it or not, it is. It's in your pocket and it's warm. It'll freak out when you turn it on. Jeez.

Sounds like a stock Android problem.

Sounds like you didnt even read my post. How many 808/810 phones have factory encryption on? Basically none other than the Nexus which is why it affects the 5x and the 6p the most. It has nothing to do with stock android. Google wanted factory encrypted devices at the same time as qualcomm got caught by Apple with their pants down. Qualcomm should have stuck with 32 bit for another year instead of scrambling.

I generally love my 6p but oh if only it wasn't hamstrung by that 810. what a shit year for phones

No kidding. The 2015 Qualcomms were crap and for some reason people still don't get it.

Watevaman

Gonna be picking up an S7 (non-edge) within the next few days hopefully. Already ordered a case (Neo Hybrid by Spigen) and a wireless charger, but I've been away from Android for 2 years so how should I go about setting my phone up for success from the get-go? Any essential apps that you recommend getting, the kind that add something so useful that you think it should've been included by default (or are better than the default)?

kami_sama

Sounds like you didnt even read my post. How many 808/810 phones have factory encryption on? Basically none other than the Nexus which is why it affects the 5x and the 6p the most. It has nothing to do with stock android. Google wanted factory encrypted devices at the same time as qualcomm got caught by Apple with their pants down. Qualcomm should have stuck with 32 bit for another year instead of scrambling.

No kidding. The 2015 Qualcomms were crap and for some reason people still don't get it.

I still think they weren't as bad as people made them to be. They were hot and consumed more energy than 2015's chips, but I think most problems came with Lollipop.

this_guy

Calm down. Everyone shits on all the phones in this thread.

Vanillalite

Still not sure if I want the Chrome OS Android merge or not.

In some ways it would be nice to get access to the apps.

In other ways it kills the simplicity and opens up a shit ton of variables in Chrome OS that might not be great.

Yes and your love for stock Android is bs so stop getting offended.

I made a comment and you had to make a stupid reply that was innacurate. I called you out for it. Instead of just saying "yeah dude you were right." Your defense mechanism is to make someone else look stupid when you are proven wrong. Not cool bro

Stock Android sure has some overhead compared to other platforms like IOS but the more im learning about Qualcomm the more I am seeing they just arent that good.

Look at how much more efficient the new exynos 8890 is than the snapdragon 820. Is Android really that much less efficient than IOS or does qualcomm just suck compared to apples chip engineers?

Toki767

Stock Android sure has some overhead compared to other platforms like IOS but the more im learning about Qualcomm the more I am seeing they just arent that good.

Look at how much more efficient the new exynos 8890 is than the snapdragon 820. Is Android really that much less efficient than IOS or does qualcomm just suck compared to apples chip engineers?

Qualcomm merely provides the cheapest, most convenient solution for a mobile CPU.

We've seen most manufacturers don't necessarily care about the quality of the CPU.

this_guy

I made a comment and you had to make a stupid reply that was innacurate. I called you out for it. Instead of just saying "yeah dude you were right." Your defense mechanism is to make someone else look stupid when you are proven wrong. Not cool bro

I don't know if you notice, but all your replies to me are stupid. It's not me that's making you look that way.

I'm not the only one that notices you have an unhealthy obsession with stock Android. And like I said, everyone in this thread shits on all the phones because there's no perfect phone.

Qualcomm merely provides the cheapest, most convenient solution for a mobile CPU.

We've seen most manufacturers don't necessarily care about the quality of the CPU.

Qualcomm's advantage was being smart early on and including a cellular modem along with the cpu and gpu.

Vanillalite

I don't know if you notice, but all your replies to me are stupid. It's not me that's making you look that way.

I'm not the only one that notices you have an unhealthy obsession with stock Android. And like I said, everyone in this thread shits on all the phones because there's no perfect phone.

Well he did get the name Oserious for a reason. LoL :p

nNJoH3h.png

The Blackberry Hamburg looks surprisingly good?

BxkLAMk.jpg

The mit-range specs wouldn't bother me as much as the OS updates. How good were they with the Priv?

If it comes with wireless charging, like the Priv, I might think about that one a little more. But knowing Blackberry, they probably want 499 for it.

this_guy

nNJoH3h.png

The Blackberry Hamburg looks surprisingly good?

BxkLAMk.jpg

The mit-range specs wouldn't bother me as much as the OS updates. How good were they with the Priv?

If it comes with wireless charging, like the Priv, I might think about that one a little more. But knowing Blackberry, they probably want 499 for it.

Why are companies still using the 615/617 from Qualcomm? CPU wise it's pretty much on par with the 410. I wouldn't mind a midranger using the 652 (this actually uses Qualcomm's custom cpu cores).

499 and that's just the 16GB version. That would be funny.

The rumored price is $400, but I could see that being before taxes.

Why are companies still using the 615/617 from Qualcomm? CPU wise it's pretty much on par with the 410. I wouldn't mind a midranger using the 652 (this actually uses Qualcomm's custom cpu cores).

Probably bargain bin prices for OEMs. And with that performance-level, I probably wouldn't want that phone anymore. Yikes. I was afraid that an 808 phone would be too much of a sidegrade (especially the 5X with the same 2 GB RAM), but going lower at the same resolution as the N5? No thanks. What a shame, I really liked the design.

I'm not the only one that notices you have an unhealthy obsession with stock Android.

A. Part of my income is tied to how well Android does so I am clearly biased.

B. There is nothing healthy about any participation in a nerdy phone forum. Don't act like one poster is worse than another on here.

All this one-year-later talk about the 5x and 6p make me happy I stuck with my Nexus 6. Hoping HTC can come up with an uncharacteristically good phone this year for the new Nexus. I'll jump on it if they do.

this_guy

B. There is nothing healthy about any participation in a nerdy phone forum. Don't act like one poster is worse than another on here.

You're absolutely right. I try to shit on all the phones equally. I see no harm in that as ultimately everyone wants a phone that doesn't have a weakness for their own personal use.

All this one-year-later talk about the 5x and 6p make me happy I stuck with my Nexus 6. Hoping HTC can come up with an uncharacteristically good phone this year for the new Nexus. I'll jump on it if they do.

Well their on a roll at this point, the HTC 10 is the phone of the year so far imo.

Top Bottom