• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Putting lesser known writers on stuff like Flash gave DC consistent sales. I think I'd be a lot more interested in say Walker's ASM than I would BMB's.

Bendis spent a lot of time on ASM. Marvel likes that kind of thing because it's a known quantity. They get nervous when they can't predict how people will react to a new writer on a franchise where they've gotten Slott or Bendis since the dawn of time.

Sandfox

Avengers No Surrender: A weekly event epic

This is their response to events doing badly for them?
I remember during that last summit they were looking looking for new terms for their limited series and it looks like they decided to go with epic here.
This also kills the hope that Aaron would do Avengers. He’s 100% going to be on Thor and
Wolverine
now.
We don't know how long this is going to be so I wouldn't say that. If anything the tagline leads me to believe that it be leading into something new.

Anyone get the feeling that we're gonna get Bendis on Doctor Strange?

I can't shake it.

If you put Bachalo back on art I'm down. Or Maleev. How dope as fuck would a Strange book look with Maleev on art? Seems his style is catered more to gritty street-level books, but I'd love to seem him do something different.

Cates hasn't even started his run yet lol.
I didn't know someone was already put on it.

If you put Bachalo back on art I'm down. Or Maleev. How dope as fuck would a Strange book look with Maleev on art? Seems his style is catered more to gritty street-level books, but I'd love to seem him do something different.
Maleev's art, for me, is best when he's doing stuff that's got a more fantasy/sci-fi bend to it. Action sequences in Iron Doom have been great.

I didn't like his art on Scarlet. Then again, I didn't much care for Scarlet.

Maleev's art, for me, is best when he's doing stuff that's got a more fantasy/sci-fi bend to it. Action sequences in Iron Doom have been great.

I didn't like his art on Scarlet. Then again, I didn't much care for Scarlet.

What has he done with a fantasy style to it? Bendis Moon Knight?

I really liked Scarlet until they started releasing like one issue per year. The huge gaps between issues killed it.

What has he done with a fantasy style to it? Bendis Moon Knight?
Bendis Moon Knight. The Iron Man books. Even Daredevil had some cool visuals with superpowers.

My base point is that I don't like him on just gritty street stuff. He needs to be on something where he's forced to incorporate elements that force a contrast to the usually monochromatic palette that he tends to use. Otherwise he gets boring.

I really liked Scarlet until they started releasing like one issue per year. The huge gaps between issues killed it.
I read the trade. Found it boring.

Mafro

Avengers No Surrender: A weekly event epic

This is their response to events doing badly for them?
Just give me an Avengers comic by Aaron and Ribic with the o.g. roster and a few others. I've not liked the main book at all since the post-Secret Wars relaunch, I'm usually a fan of Mark Waid but his run has been pretty disappointing. The ANAD line-up sucked and the relaunch after that with Kang (who's been waaaay overused in the past few years) was just plain boring and I couldn't care less about the Champions, so that arc just turned me off completely. The .1 issues dealing with the original Avengers were so much better it's a shame that was just a mini.

In case you wanted to see Rich Johnston not getting a seat while being actively insulted from the stage

https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/912455323239243776

giphy.gif

Messi

Just give me an Avengers comic by Aaron and Ribic with the o.g. roster and a few others. I've not liked the main book at all since the post-Secret Wars relaunch, I'm usually a fan of Mark Waid but his run has been pretty disappointing. The ANAD line-up sucked and the relaunch after that with Kang (who's been waaaay overused in the past few years) was just plain boring and I couldn't care less about the Champions, so that arc just turned me off completely. The .1 issues dealing with the original Avengers were so much better it's a shame that was just a mini.

I imagine Marvel wants a book that comes out on time so Ribic is out.

Sandfox

If we're getting an Avengers book by Aaron it will likely hit when Odinson and Tony are back to their traditional roles. This could potentially lead into it going by the tagline.

Bendis Moon Knight. The Iron Man books. Even Daredevil had some cool visuals with superpowers.

My base point is that I don't like him on just gritty street stuff. He needs to be on something where he's forced to incorporate elements that force a contrast to the usually monochromatic palette that he tends to use. Otherwise he gets boring.

Daredevil was very much a gritty street-level book. Except maybe for the Hand sequences. The Bendis and Maleev run on DD was stellar, though. And definitely one of my favorite portrayals of the character. Maleev also did some work on the Empire of the Dead series that broke him out of his shell a bit and made him work with a more colorful pallete.

Daredevil was very much a gritty street-level book. Except maybe for the Hand sequences. The Bendis and Maleev run on DD was stellar, though. And definitely one of my favorite portrayals of the character. Maleev also did some work on the Empire of the Dead series that broke him out of his shell a bit and made him work with a more colorful pallete.
And it doesn't have to be overt. I like the monochromatic palette that he chooses based on the book. Just something that forces him to pop a little bit. And has a lot of action. Maleev talking heads are not great. Scarlet was mostly talking heads. Maleev does action incredibly well.

Vic_Viper

What are some of the best OG Wolverine story arcs/books since like the late 90s till he died in Death of Wolverine? I like the current Old Man Logan run but it just feels like its missing something now that hes older and from another time.

Never really read any of his solo books when they were coming out aside from Millar's run and some of Fractions. Any recommendations? Solo or otherwise?

Loved:

Enemy of the State
Wolverine and the X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
The Astonishing Wolverine and Spider-man

Reading or plan to:

Morrison's New X-Men
Bendis's New Avengers run

Are there any must read books that I might not know about that I need to read?

I can argue that both Marvel and DC have been doing a shitty job at managing talent.

Most of DC's new folks are from their internal writing program thing, if I recall correctly. The rest have been around for a while. Hitch, Seeley, Rob Williams, and Orlando. The newish writers include Vendetti, who came from Valiant, and Williamson, who wrote Birthright. Most of that tracks fairly close with Marvel's talent.

The real strength of DC is allowing imprints like Young Animal to incubate new folks.

Honestly, looking at my pull list, I think Marvel's biggest problem is the perception of the line as a whole and being able to sell specific books. I don't think the writing on an individual series basis is much worse. Which is part of Higgins' statement that got lost in the shuffle: right your major books and the rest will follow, because readers will perceive the overall line as being better. Avengers and X-Men need to be at the top of the heap again, alongside Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man.

What are some of the best OG Wolverine story arcs/books since like the late 90s till he died in Death of Wolverine? I like the current Old Man Logan run but it just feels like its missing something now that hes older and from another time.

Never really read any of his solo books when they were coming out aside from Millar's run and some of Fractions. Any recommendations? Solo or otherwise?

Loved:

Enemy of the State
Wolverine and the X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
The Astonishing Wolverine and Spider-man

Reading or plan to:

Morrison's New X-Men
Bendis's New Avengers run

Are there any must read books that I might not know about that I need to read?
Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers by Remender have pretty important Logan arcs.

Sandfox

Is he really going to do it? Do people still care? I wrote that series off somewhere around issue 35.
Right after SE Omega released he went on a podcast and said that he's taking a break after writing that huge story with plans to return to both Morning Glories and The Fix soon. Some of the things he mentioned about the creative side of SE we're pretty interesting.

Dalek

Is he really going to do it? Do people still care? I wrote that series off somewhere around issue 35.

I really liked it. I read it all over the course of a few days and was totally floored that it wasn’t really wrapped up. It all ends in a cliffhanger.

I read a short description.

Spencer says it's like Runaways meets Lost.

The fuck could that ever even mean?

It’s Runaways in as far as it’s a bunch of kids who find out their teachers are evil, etc. Lost as in there are 100 mind bending questions and every issue ends in a WTF cliffhanger.

duckroll

Need some help. Does anyone use the Amazon Kindle android app? It seems like a total piece of shit, but I'm not sure if I'm just missing something. I only downloaded it because I could redeem a free comic from Amazon and I decided to grab Planet Hulk. The app seems like total junk. There are no proper settings to customize viewing on my phone, I can't get it to rotate to landscape, zoom doesn't seem to work properly, and even downloading the file was a pain because it would only sync and download. Everything feels like DRM hell.

I'm used to buying digital comics from Image and putting CBR files on my phone if I wanna read on the go. I use Perfect Viewer and it's great for everything. Is there a way to make the Amazon Kindle app behave like that?

Messi

I really liked it. I read it all over the course of a few days and was totally floored that it wasn’t really wrapped up. It all ends in a cliffhanger.

It’s Runaways in as far as it’s a bunch of kids who find out their teachers are evil, etc. Lost as in there are 100 mind bending questions and every issue ends in a WTF cliffhanger.

He said that was the end of season 1...looool

Top Bottom