• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Tensketch

man jumpmasters are busted

They dropped the ball with this ship, I agree. X-Wing went from being insanely balanced with one of the best, most diverse worlds I'd seen, to 'just throw a jumpmaster into your list'

FFG are quickly running out of options here, they've nerfed the ship twice by proxy (deadeye, R4, Manaroos ability) but it may be time to face facts, the ship needs to be changed in some way. Either points increase, dial change, removing an upgrade or an action.

Tensketch

So did any of you guys know about the Braylen stresshog trick of rolling 2 dice on your first attack to give you a better chance of using gunner? My friend told me it last night and it helped me score a win against him, which almost never happens!

Nete

Yup, and it's one of the reasons he is that good as stressboat.

Although I didn't realize the extra dice was optional for a few games :p. One day I was sorting out the album cards, casually looked at this one and I was like WAIT, WHAT? A true game changer.

EYEL1NER

So did any of you guys know about the Braylen stresshog trick of rolling 2 dice on your first attack to give you a better chance of using gunner? My friend told me it last night and it helped me score a win against him, which almost never happens!
Yeah. I've used him with that build (R3-A2, Alliance Overhaul, Gunner/Luke if I have spare points, and sometimes even Flechette Torps for extra stress dealing) like 6 or 7 times now. I like it a lot, probably my favorite build for an ARC that I've had wins with. Flechette torps are fun though, if you can miss with them, because then you can triple-stress an enemy ship and lock them down real good.
I get unlucky with the first shot a lot though and only roll two, get like one hit and a blank or eye, get that reaction from someone who hasn't seen it before where they say "You're not gonna spend your target lock or focus to turn that eye to a hit?!" and I give them the "I know what I'm doing" look, and then the defender rolls blanks and I don't get my second shot off.

daevv

Played my first match against a Ghost(+Biggs) using the Accuracy Corrector/TLT/Docked shuttle combo last night. Wow that seems super broken. Granted I was using low agility ships (Dengar/2xY Wings) and no Autothrusters but the cancel for 2 hits on four TLT shots equaled 4 damage a round during the short 5-6 round game. Y-Wings went down in 2 rounds each while Dengar held on for a while longer as I hid behind rocks for the extra evade dice and rolled well. I managed to destroy Biggs and get the Ghost down to 7 hull. It was weird that for most of the game we were not even rolling dice lol.

After beating me the Ghost absolutely dominated a very good Double K-Wing player. He never lost Biggs that game. It was that players first and second games ever flying a T-65 X-Wing and Ghost as he used to fly Palp Aces before the nerf and is now looking for something new to fly. I think he found it. :)

EYEL1NER

I went to an interesting event today. Each participant only flew one ship, and the one ship was drawn for you out of a box at random. The ships were only small-base $15 ships, and you could buy/open it to use it, or if you didn't need it, you could pay the regular $5 OP entry fee or make a purchase (I bought some Armada stuff, because this store is awesome and gives regular tourney participants 20% off of minis).

Once you were assigned your ship, you could build it using one of each upgrade. You were capped at 50pts maximum, can use any faction's cards, and can use any upgrade whether you have the slot or not, so long as A) you only used one of each upgrade (2 crew was allowed, mainly so Palp could be used but no one took him), B) the ships were not Large-Ship-Only cards, and C) the cards weren't specific to a ship, mainly meaning no titles like Outrider on a HWK.

There was 8 of us. The ships drawn were: Rebel TIE (pilot chosen was Sabine), Vanilla TIE (they chose Mauler Mithel), TIE Defender (Ryad of course), TIE Advanced (Vader), TIE Advanced Prototype (Inquisitor), T-65 X-Wing (Wedge), T-70 X-Wing (Poe got picked), and my ship, the TIE Bomber. Some of the most common upgrades were HLC, R2-D2, and Conner Nets. I decided to use a lower PS so as to fit more upgrades and went with Deathfire. I've never flown a Bomber, so I decided to build it like a K-Wing with Homing Missiles, Conner Nets, Sabine, Bombadier, TLT, and more. Unfortunately the Burnout SLAM I had on there was large-ship only, so I had to ditch it. That actually worked out to my favor when it came to points later because I had 49 to other people's 50 and won two rounds by a point.
I was able to win two rounds by a point because we were then divided up into pairs with a partner that would remain the same. So 100 points for everyone (99 for my team). I got paired with the Vader Advanced.

First match was against the Defender and T-70. I won't do an in-depth batrep but my Bomber died. Vader stayed alive and we had killed Poe, so we won by a point.
Second match was against the Imp TIE and the TAP. Inquisitor died quick and then I died, but Vader and Mithel survived, so we won by a point again.
Third match was against Sabine and Wedge. Sabine died fast and Wedge died soon after.

So first place went to my team, the first time I've gotten a first place at this store for any events. I got Ello Asty, two of the rectangular evades, and two Tacticians. It was pointed out that I technically cheated though: the rules were one of each upgrade could be selected. I had an R2 Astromech from the Astromech category to make my 1's and 2's green, and then an Unhinged Astromech from the Salvaged Astromech category to give me green 3's. They are different upgrade types; rebels can't use salvaged and scum can't use regular mechs. They also have different icons. But someone asked about using them both before we started, possibly before I got there, and was told no. I didn't know that and I argued that they were two different upgrade types, which I would have naturally assumed would be allowed. It wasn't a big deal though or anything; no one got mad. I would have rather won without that hanging over me at the end.

I guess the TO said they plan to do one of these with the arrival of every new wave. I was unsure about it when I went in but it was an interesting event.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
A draft in X-Wing. That's kinda cool, except some ships don't give you a good chance to win relative to other ships; like, I wouldn't want to draw a Z-95.

EYEL1NER

A draft in X-Wing. That's kinda cool, except some ships don't give you a good chance to win relative to other ships; like, I wouldn't want to draw a Z-95.
I was pretty sure that a Bomber was going to be the worst thing I could draw, what with its 2ATK, 2AGI statline and no shields. A Z-95 probably wouldn't be as good as some of the other ships but there is some room for creativity. Or just slap an HLC one it, give it R2-D2, maybe a C-3PO crew, some cluster mines, and more.

Nete

Today I played what I think will be my last preparation tournament for the European.

Ended 2-1. The one I lost was against one of the best players here and his Quickdraw-Backdraft-Vessery list in what was a quite close match. The victories felt excellent. One has been against a Miranda-Biggs-Thane (with Jyn) where Miranda didn't had a chance to drop me any torpedo as she was forced to Slam away one and each time to avoid being obliterated by Emon's Cluster Missile (and a Cluster Mine next turn). The other, against the english guy that lives here and kicked my ass in both, Valencia Regional and Tatooine Open, and his usual triple Crackshot Defenders.

6SqEXt3.png

With no doubt one of the best games I've played with this list, with every movement where it had to be and with no possible answer from my rival. The above picture, from the first combat round, is a nice example of how the game went. What happened:

-Glaive got stressed by Asajj and fucked his evade/action next turn if he wanted to k-turn.
-Asajj scored a couple shields on Ryad, tractoring her over the rock. Couldn't k-turn without landing on the other rock, so she was forced to run upwards and was out of combat for 3 rounds.
-Emon left a bumped Vessery at 2 hull with a Cluster Missile, while on next turn blocked him and dropped a Cluster Mine on the Glaive's head, who was finished in the combat round by my both ships.

And so on.

There's another tournament next week, but if I go I won't be using the Greek King list: I don't want to risk fucking my head with some bad games. There will be plenty of time for that in the own Euro :p

Tensketch

Decent replacement for Poe too, achieve the Focus Poecus through a boost or BR. BB-8 would also give you hella actions.

I really like the look of this ship
I've already ordered 4
. It's gonna make an amazing Ace backup and list filler, I reckon. A good 50 point ace like a Deci or something with two of these. Nice to have an alternative Imperial filler.

Also Unguided rockets will make bombers fun. I need to fly 5 of them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The unique pilot abilities look really good (especially Kestal — as the article says, she combos nicely with Expertise), the upgrade cards that come with the expansion look good, it seems like a solid buy ... even if I think the ship design is kinda ridiculous (thanks, Star Wars Galaxies).

Intensity on Guri will be priceless. Still an expensive ship, but oh boy.

Jake Farrel with Intensity could be quite interesting. Combo it with Push and he can do all four of his actions in a single movement phase.

ha, good ideas.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just to show how badly the fucked up.
PS2 wild space fringer is 30pts.
PS9 Dengaroo is 33pts..............

I stopped playing once the whole local scene here turned too all jumpmasters.

I legitimately have pretty much dropped out of X-Wing these days...

....of course, FFG is getting all my Destiny money now, so I guess this is a net win for them

Tensketch

This legit makes me sad to hear. I hope FFG do something to balance that ship out, because it's truly an amazing ship, just a tad too cheap. You shouldn't be able to fly 3 of them tooled up.

Nete

Sometimes I'm really glad to live here, as the local meta in Barcelona is very different to the global meta.

Sure, we have our ratio of netlists guys, but somehow the "meta terrors" (Quad TLT, Uboats, Palpaces, Tri-Defenders, Parattanni...) has always been quite contained, with many top players flying weird or unusual lists with extremely good performances.

I'm quite scared on what I'll face in the Euros next week tho :p. The meta will be strong there.

Tensketch

Sometimes I'm really glad to live here, as the local meta in Barcelona is very different to the global meta.

Sure, we have our ratio of netlists guys, but somehow the "meta terrors" (Quad TLT, Uboats, Palpaces, Tri-Defenders, Parattanni...) has always been quite contained, with many top players flying weird or unusual lists with extremely good performances.

I'm quite scared on what I'll face in the Euros next week tho :p. The meta will be strong there.

You'll be dealing primarily with the UK meta there, which is known as the 'copycat meta' whatever is good, is flown in abundance. For more information, see the Parattanni open stream.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I legitimately have pretty much dropped out of X-Wing these days...

....of course, FFG is getting all my Destiny money now, so I guess this is a net win for them

I've kinda stopped playing X-Wing lately, too, despite being into it hardcore since August 2012. (I've stayed away from the Destiny boondoggle, heh.)

I'm not putting my stuff up on eBay or anything — I'll probably never sell it — but I'm just not super motivated to head up to a shop and play against a bunch of large-base ships loaded with more upgrades than I can keep straight in my head.

I hope this game gets fixed soon.

EYEL1NER

I had a pretty fun Armada match today. I ran the following list and had initiative by 11 points:

Imperial II‑class Star Destroyer
  • Electronic Countermeasures
  • XI7 Turbolasers
  • Boosted Comms
  • Relentless
  • Admiral Ozzel
Gladiator I‑class Star Destroyer
  • Engine Techs
  • Demolisher
  • Wulff Yularen
  • Assault Proton Torpedoes
  • Ordnance Experts
Raider I‑class Corvette
  • Ordnance Experts
  • Instigator
Boba Fett
Bossk
Major Rhymer
TIE Interceptor Squadron
x2

It's a list from last year I found on SpikeyBits a couple weeks ago, something that was supposed to be pretty good back in Wave 2. I did switch Wulf from the Imperial to the Gladiator, so that way I would always have a nav token to prod Engine Techs, because that is something I forget every now and then. I selected the list as one to practice and use a bunch because it looked like it was fairly self-explanatory. I do see some things I want to change and had some suggestions made to me by the guys I was playing with.

I was up against Rieekan Zombie list with an Assault Frigate, an MC30 Torpedo Frigate, and two GR-75s, and then an absolute ton of squadrons, most having Bomber. Jan Ors was in there, Lt Blount, Luke, Wedge, Biggs, Rogue Squadron, Gold Squadron, I think Dutch, and maybe some more. I immediately realized that the Bombers were going to do a lot of damage and all three of his objectives were perfectly suited for that. I didn't realize how good of a decision it was at the time, but I chose Precision Strike as the objective, still thinking it was perfectly suited to his specialities. Well, I wound up getting 10 objective points/tokens worth 15 points each off of it, mainly because of Rieekan. The reason why is when I took out his Assault Frigate with a great set of shots from the Demolisher, scoring some points off of that. But then his Frigate had to stay around until the end of the round, meaning I got a ton of other shots on it and was flipping up some great crits that drained his shields and led to me getting more great shots. I took out every one of his ships except the MC30; he took out my Gladiator and came pretty close to getting the Imperial at the end (luckily he didn't have another round to work with). I got 150 points just off of the objective and won by a little over 100 points.

This was only my 6th match I think, and my 4th non-tutorial match using upgrades. I still have a ways to go but I definitely plan on going to a store championship (I need one of those GR-75 alt-arts) in three or so weeks and am confident that I will at least put up a fight. I don't care if I get last or anything but I don't want the people I play against to be like "He didn't know anything and it was over in half an hour. Glad I got an easy win but that wasn't fun in the least."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've kinda stopped playing X-Wing lately, too, despite being into it hardcore since August 2012. (I've stayed away from the Destiny boondoggle, heh.)

I'm not putting my stuff up on eBay or anything — I'll probably never sell it — but I'm just not super motivated to head up to a shop and play against a bunch of large-base ships loaded with more upgrades than I can keep straight in my head.

I hope this game gets fixed soon.
What would be the fix though? I genuinely don't know outside of a "all Jumpmasters now cost five points more" type thing, which would be crazy.

Nete

I know you like these things, so... new batch of cards. Changed the design a bit.

Dash, Quickdraw and Boba are participation prizes for the next few tournaments my tabletop club will host, something I proposed to the other TOs now that we are doing one per month with good success, and they agreed. There is also the backside for them.

Jess is the one I wanted as the Rebel gift card, but the other TOs voted for Dash so I made one for me :p. And I don't know why the hell I didn't have a Kath yet. Just in time for the Euro Hangar Bays and the Store season.

Tensketch

Yaas Queen they are amazing.

There's part of me wishing I was going to Euros, Birmingham isn't too far from where I live but the cost (on top of having to take a Friday off) is a bit much for me.

They just need to start selling tickets for Nationals, that wont cost me much at all and I am so up for it.

daevv

Bought my ticket to the Gen Con NA Championships yesterday. First time I played a game of X-Wing was back at the 2014 Gen Con. This will be the first time entering the Championships this year too. Really excited to get the alt art Han Solo and coin. Wasn't sure there would be any participation goodies. I don't plan on making day 2 so getting something for just playing will be great. :)

spd1eNJ.png

PB0BF7y.png

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'M BACK IN BABY

I love a lot of Scum ships but man they're hard to outfit with stuff, this sounds like it really shake things up! aw yeah

Man, three modification upgrade?

As much as I've been begging for fixes to the Khiraxz and especially the Starviper (the new paint scheme is beautiful), I'm honestly not completely impressed yet. I know I shouldn't judge by the (now nerfed) Imperial Veterans, but man, the new Starviper title just seems to 'meh'. -3 points puts them where they should have been all along, but doesn't really add anything to them. It's basically the "path of least resistance" to fixing the starviper, while not fixing some of its other issues. Still, I will give it a try because I love me some starvipers.

The Khiraxz fix is even less exciting, honestly. 3 mods is nice and all, but even at reduced cost it's still making you spend too much for essentially a scum x-wing. Dunno, this is all at first glance; might need to play around in a squad builder for a bit.

bleh.
I will invariably still get this just for the next paints though.

Edit: the more I think about it the happier I am. The starviper fix is still boring and you will still probably never see more than one Viper in a list, but at least I can get my droid Guri into the game again. As for the Khiraxz, I bought 5 when they released, and with the new title you can actually gear them a bit and still squeeze 4 into a list. They may not be super competitive, but being able to kit Talonbane out with a Cloak and Stygium for half the previous cost is pretty good.

pompidu

Nice buffs all around, seems to be in line with the rest of the ships in the game. Shame they will never see play, other scum ships just that much better.

Tensketch

It is a good day for X-Wing. Image time!

swx73-vaksai.png

swx73-starviper-mk-ii.png

swx73-viktor-hel.png

Talonbane HNNNNGbra PS9 with PTL, vectored thrusters, engine upgrade and autothrusters for 35 points

This all but confirms we're getting an Attanni nerf soon. Because that title gives K Fighters Attanni for free and that's just a nightmare.

Toxi

Banned
The Starviper title because really awesome when you remember that you can combine it with Advanced Sensors.

This all but confirms we're getting an Attanni nerf soon. Because that title gives K Fighters Attanni for free and that's just a nightmare.
I want to cry just thinking about this nonsense

Actually, the Kxztheklsjke upgrade is kinda insane even without Attanni. I don't think they realized just how much pure efficiency this adds to the ship.

Tensketch

The Starviper title because really awesome when you remember that you can combine it with Advanced Sensors.

I want to cry just thinking about this nonsense

Actually, the Kxztheklsjke upgrade is kinda insane even without Attanni. I don't think they realized just how much pure efficiency this adds to the ship.

The repositioning abilities of a MK2 virago makes me super excited.

I don't think the khirazxzxzxz fighter will be too OP with this title. It'll just make it versatile, which is what the ship needed. It needs a place, a role and this title gives it.

Remember that ship is still made of paper with the dial it has and the actions it doesn't have.

Tensketch

If Mindlink doesn't get nerfed, we get to enjoy a 3 point cheaper Guri joining Mindlink lists.

I think we still will. They need to make Mindlink not as powerful for the cost, all the while keeping it strong. I believe they can do this by removing the free focus whilst the ship is stressed. Not necessarily make the focus a free action, but if they make it so you can't get that focus whilst stressed, it encourages players to remove the stress from their ships in order to spread the focus around.

I believe if they finally bite the bullet and start changing points values, stats, upgrades etc, we can really open the game up to some new and amazing possibilities. Because it's obvious that the amount of nerfs FFG have applied to other cards in order to nerf the dominant builds, it still doesn't fix the problem of the quite frankly amazing Jumpmaster. I cannot think of any other option other than changing the stats. But by doing it, they can start changing other ships and making them better! Amongst the standard title fixes that they can still release, like titles that give ships a unique trait (exactly like this pack addresses) we can see things like:

- HWKs with 2 base attack
- Rebel Y wings with an EPT
- Pilots that people have deemed 'useless' actually having purpose! (imagine Kir Kanos with an EPT!)
- Upgrades that now become reasonably priced

It's a pain, yeah, because people will want reprinted cards. But we already have FAQ's full of changes that the serious players who want to participate in tournaments pay attention to, I can't see it being a problem. It'd make the game healthier I think.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I've always liked the Kihraxz, so I'm glad to see it's getting help. The StarViper is cool, too.

But when I think about it, I realize that these fixes actually exacerbate my biggest problem with the game right now: It loads more upgrades onto ships. X-Wing has become less fun for me because every game I'm going up against two or three ships that each have like 10 upgrade cards on them, plus pilot abilities, plus maybe they drop condition cards on me ... it's too much to keep in my head. It's beyond my cognitive abilities.

So now Kihraxzes (Kihrai?) and StarVipers will have half a dozen or more upgrade cards on them and it's going to be a pain to remember them all while in the middle of a game.

Honestly, these days, I just don't worry about it and just fly however I want, and if my opponent says that a thing happens, I'm like, OK. I just accept it, because I can't keep track of all the crazy shit they've got going on. They could be cheating and I wouldn't know. I can barely keep track of everything on my side of the board.

But playing that way really feels like it takes the strategy out of the game. I'm not using knowledge of my opponent to my full advantage, and it doesn't feel right. At the same time, I'm unable to keep up with it anymore, so what am I supposed to do?

I've barely played in the last few months, honestly. I'm drifting away because it's just becoming too much. This Guns for Hire pack doesn't seem like it'll change that direction, either.

Sorry for the rant.

Tensketch

I've always liked the Kihraxz, so I'm glad to see it's getting help. The StarViper is cool, too.

But when I think about it, I realize that these fixes actually exacerbate my biggest problem with the game right now: It loads more upgrades onto ships. X-Wing has become less fun for me because every game I'm going up against two or three ships that each have like 10 upgrade cards on them, plus pilot abilities, plus maybe they drop condition cards on me ... it's too much to keep in my head. It's beyond my cognitive abilities.

So now Kihraxzes (Kihrai?) and StarVipers will have half a dozen or more upgrade cards on them and it's going to be a pain to remember them all while in the middle of a game.

Honestly, these days, I just don't worry about it and just fly however I want, and if my opponent says that a thing happens, I'm like, OK. I just accept it, because I can't keep track of all the crazy shit they've got going on. They could be cheating and I wouldn't know. I can barely keep track of everything on my side of the board.

But playing that way really feels like it takes the strategy out of the game. I'm not using knowledge of my opponent to my full advantage, and it doesn't feel right. At the same time, I'm unable to keep up with it anymore, so what am I supposed to do?

I've barely played in the last few months, honestly. I'm drifting away because it's just becoming too much. This Guns for Hire pack doesn't seem like it'll change that direction, either.

Sorry for the rant.

I suppose the best way to stay on top of things is to just play more often, which I know isn't the most helpful advice in the world but it seems to be the only way. I can understand why you feel this way, though. But this is just the way miniatures games go. They have to constantly expand because it's the only way they can make money, but every time it does, it makes the game more complex. It's done a good job so far of keeping those complexities to a minimum, I feel, but it won't last forever. I can only encourage you to find a group of players to just play what you like. It's very possible to get good with a list that isn't meta and you just enjoy, or just stay super casual and play whatever you want, whenever you want.

Another thing I do is I ask my opponent to explain the mechanics behind their list so I fully understand how things work, when they work and why they work.

Today is the start of the European Nationals, there's someone from my local meta there representing the store I play at (Green and White jersey) and we also got one of our Gaf-Wingers there, so good luck, Nete!

I know you like these things, so... new batch of cards. Changed the design a bit.

Dash, Quickdraw and Boba are participation prizes for the next few tournaments my tabletop club will host, something I proposed to the other TOs now that we are doing one per month with good success, and they agreed. There is also the backside for them.

Jess is the one I wanted as the Rebel gift card, but the other TOs voted for Dash so I made one for me :p. And I don't know why the hell I didn't have a Kath yet. Just in time for the Euro Hangar Bays and the Store season.

They look great. FFG really need to tone down their graphic design a bit. I like majority of their graphic design but I always felt for X-Wing they were way over-done and not showing off the nice artwork.

I'm sure variations of this question have been asked a million times throughout this thread, but how fun can you get out of just the core set? There's a local monthly board game meet up near me and I'd love to bring this, but I'd pretty much only be able to afford the core set for now. Is that worth getting alone, or should I wait until I can buy some expansions?

Tensketch

I'm sure variations of this question have been asked a million times throughout this thread, but how fun can you get out of just the core set? There's a local monthly board game meet up near me and I'd love to bring this, but I'd pretty much only be able to afford the core set for now. Is that worth getting alone, or should I wait until I can buy some expansions?

Nothing wrong with this question. Get your first few games out using this kit, if you enjoy it, you'll be buying more, I guarantee it.

My first game was the core set with Darth Vaders TIE and the X-Wing expansion, so only 2 extra ships on each side and it was a helluva lot of fun! After that, I got the falcon and the Slave 1 and... well... my ship count is nearing triple figures.

Nete

There's a rumour that I was going to the Euros. That's totally false, why the hell would I go up there to play X-wing? I can do that next to home.

Holy cow my poor ass. I don't know up to which point the mess Day 1 was affected my head, but this is probably the worst I've ever played in a tournament. That first day also makes this the worst tournament I've ever been, to the point I decided for the first time ever to drop after 4 games because I couldn't care anymore. Both Hangar Bay and Team Epic were pleasant and fun enough, but I'm still angry on the chaos and the day lost just waiting some news on what the hell was happening.
Actually, I'm that low on morale that I don't know what the hell I'll play this weekend in a 60-man store. I'm tempted to just take a stupid fun list and be a 5-round BYE to whoever I play against.

On the cards, yeah, saw it (and a couple more) :p. I managed to give away all the deck (~140 cards) so there's a quite decent chance they will appear on any bounty pics.

Tensketch

There's a rumour that I was going to the Euros. That's totally false, why the hell would I go up there to play X-wing? I can do that next to home.

Holy cow my poor ass. I don't know up to which point the mess Day 1 was affected my head, but this is probably the worst I've ever played in a tournament. That first day also makes this the worst tournament I've ever been, to the point I decided for the first time ever to drop after 4 games because I couldn't care anymore. Both Hangar Bay and Team Epic were pleasant and fun enough, but I'm still angry on the chaos and the day lost just waiting some news on what the hell was happening.
Actually, I'm that low on morale that I don't know what the hell I'll play this weekend in a 60-man store. I'm tempted to just take a stupid fun list and be a 5-round BYE to whoever I play against.

On the cards, yeah, saw it (and a couple more) :p. I managed to give away all the deck (~140 cards) so there's a quite decent chance they will appear on any bounty pics.

I heard about the absolute travesty that was the first day. Considering how much it costs someone just to attend the tournament (£50+ just for tickets) I'd be super frigging annoyed too. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have too good a time. But I've seen quite a few people showing off your pretty badass cards. If you decide to go to the next one, my friend and I are super tempted, so we may actually end up facing each other.

Nothing wrong with this question. Get your first few games out using this kit, if you enjoy it, you'll be buying more, I guarantee it.

My first game was the core set with Darth Vaders TIE and the X-Wing expansion, so only 2 extra ships on each side and it was a helluva lot of fun! After that, I got the falcon and the Slave 1 and... well... my ship count is nearing triple figures.
Cool, thanks! Been eyeing this for a while, so I'll probably ending up grabbing it.

EYEL1NER

I've got a store championship this coming Saturday. No clue what to run what, and I haven't even played since the last OP event about three or four weeks ago. The Armada store championship is in two Saturdays and that has been what I have focused on primarily, since I still need to learn more about fleet building and playing. I had two games on Saturday and I feel like I've got the rules 100% down at this point and a lot of strategy is coming to me, but fleet building is proving to be pretty difficult. I guess I don't need to put much concentration time into the X-Wing event though. I haven't played recently but I know X-Wing like the back of my hand. And luckily I don't particularly care about any of the main prizes. As long as I get an Engine Upgrade and R2-D2/Integrated combo-card, I'll be happy. The cash for higher tiers of prizes would be nice but I'd just use it for Armada stuff. The Armada event has also drawn a lot of my focus though because of the prize support. The range ruler and defense tokens that are higher prizes would be nice to get. Luckily Armada's popularity is a lot lower, so my chances are better (not as good as that Store Championship in GA I think that happened this past Sunday though, less than 8 people showed up, so that was a guaranteed range ruler for anyone).

I've never flown a TIE/sf but I just bought my second one. A guy who just left the area played almost nothing but sf TIEs and whupped me pretty good with them more than once. I kind of miss seeing them on the table, so maybe I'll fly Backdraft, Quickdraw (both with Pattern Analyzer, PtL, and Lightweight Frame), and Inquisitor m

I just got some good news though. My Imperial Officer Hat that I am commissioning from a woman who makes a lot of 501st stuff is currently being worked on and should be done within two weeks. Wish it was here in time for championships but oh well, there are more being held in the area. Can't wait to sit down for a match and don it though.

Nete

My faith is starting to crumble: yet another tournament (a 60-man Store) with terrible results: 1-4. since Tatooine Open I'm in a free fall when it comes to decent events. Yeah, two of those loses could have gone either way (a 25 points lose against a 3-hull Miranda, a 20 points lose against a resurrected 1-hull Trevura),, and I may not have much practice with the list I used (just today and a couple extra games, a Boba-Fenn-Kaato Mindlink list), but it's still a goddamn 1-4... and I approached the other two games in the most possible wrong way.

There's still at least a couple Stores I will attend, but I'm not exactly optimistic :p. I would go with something Firespray related tho. If I must suck, why not do it with my babies.

In other news, I decided out of frustration to buy a C-ROC (although I will resell almost everything :p) and created what looks like a stupid fun list for my club's tournament this next week:

Sunny Bounder — M3-A Interceptor 14
"Light Scyk" Interceptor -2
Ship Total: 12

Palob Godalhi — HWK-290 20
Attanni Mindlink 1
Cikatro Vizago 0
Cloaking Device 2 <---- will be switched for a Feedback Array
Pulsed Ray Shield 2
Ship Total: 25

Inaldra &#8212; M3-A Interceptor 15
Attanni Mindlink 1
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) 2
Ship Total: 22

Fenn Rau &#8212; Protectorate Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 32

EYEL1NER

I just got back from a store championship, my first store championship and my first event bigger than an OP. I would have been happy hitting the middle of the standings but I went 2-3 and both wins were extremely close, so I placed 24 out of 31 people. It was a pretty disappointing day for me; I thought with a minute left in my fourth match that I was gonna lose that one and probably go winless all day. I need to get some food and drink in me and rest a bit but I'll post more about the event later in an edit.

Tensketch

Had a store champ on Saturday, was a really good day. Of 30 players, I got 6th. Only reason I got 6th is because I got 4-1 but my MOV meant I was nowhere near the top 4 (positions 4-6 were on like 650 MOV and I had 515). The reason for this is because two of my wins were down to final salvo. The first being that we went to time with a ship each and although the cost of my ship was more than his, we had both killed the same amount (he went for an initiative bid or something, I cannot for the life of me remember how it worked out) so we final salvo'd and I won. He wasn't pleased as I gave him his second loss of the day, eliminating his chances of making the cut.
Second final salvo was against a Dengar who revenge shot me to death on the same round that I got a kill shot. So it was once again, final salvo and I once again won. But god damn it hurt my MOV badly.

Doesn't matter though, cos I walked away with an ugly ass range ruler that I'm likely to not use.

I'm loving ARCs and Biggs, but I miss the TIE swarm. I tried it a few weeks ago and although my game was close, it wasn't good enough. It just cant put the damage through fast enough to get me anywhere.

EYEL1NER

My disappointment with my performance has lowered a bit, so here's the "more info" I said I'd give.
24th out of 31, which isn't even as good of a bright side of "well you could be closer to the bottom" since a handful of people dropped, including the guy who was my pick as favorite to win (he won his first match, and decided half way through the second that he was dropping because he was testing some things with his list and felt like he didn't have enough offense).

My brain has been focused more on the Armada Store Championship coming up this Saturday, so I hadn't played X-Wing in the month prior to Saturday's X-Wing event. I didn't even know what I was going to fly until half an hour before I left the house to go to the tourney; I woke up at 4 after falling asleep on the couch and began toying around with some things in a squad builder. Registration started at 9, it's an hour drive so I needed to leave by 8, and it was definitely after 7:30 when I came up with the list right before hopping in the shower. I decided to run the following, which I have used before and may not be amazing with but I know it and have scored some wins with it:

-Miranda with TLT, C-3P0, Advanced SLAM
-Braylen Stramm with Gunner, Alliance Overhaul, and R3-A2
-Tarn Misen with M9-G8 and Integrated Astromech

Minutes after deciding on that, I decided that I missed bombs on a K-Wing with that list and felt like I have gotten really good with judging my SLAMs and dropping bombs. I needed some spare points though, so I also created the following list:

-Miranda with TLT, Sabine, Extra Munitions, Conner Net, Cluster Mines, and Advanced SLAM
-Braylen Stramm with Intelligence Agent, Alliance Overhaul, and R3-A2
-Ahsoka with VI, Sabine's Masterpiece, Captured TIE, Intelligence Agent, and EMP Device

The first list had a two point initiative bid (I sometimes throw Flechettes on there for the attempted triple stress) but to put bombs on Miranda, I needed to drop Gunner to something more affordable and lose the X-Wing. I went with Ahsoka and figured the Intel Agents on both her and Braylen would be good for knowing where people would be going if I didn't wanna drop bombs right on them, and the EMP Device would be good for setting people up for bombing runs. I took both lists into the store and immediately saw a guy I that I am friendly with and have played against. I showed him both lists and he said he thought the second was stronger, so I decided to go for it.

Round one was against a guy who wound up taking either third or four place. He drove up from two hours away and brought an Imperial list: Soontir Fel with the standard loadout except for Targeting Computer in place of Stealth Device, QuickDraw, and an Omega Leader. He was definitely really good. I pinned down Soontir but he traded him for my Miranda using his other ships. My other two went down quick and the only points I scored were from Soontir. 34-100

Round two was against a buddy of the first guy who rode up with him. He was playing a Rey/Poe list that had a couple differences than I'm used to but still had the regular white sloop-ing of Rey and regenerating Poe. I scored half points on Rey but lost all of my guys. 28-100

We broke for lunch, which was like an hour, and I stayed there and talked shop with some people. I spoke a lot with a guy who drives up from the same town as me and had just played two games at the streaming table, and then was talking to a cool dude about his triple ARC list and telling him about my desire to run a similar list but the disaster I had the first time I ran it. Then round three started. Round three was against a guy running a TIE/D Countess Ryad with Rage, a Night Beast, and Major Stridan. Stridan was helping pull the second rage off of Ryad when she would do a straight or Twin Ion Engine-backed soft turn and the Rage worked great with the tractor beam and primary shots on my 1AGI Rebel ships. I got half points on Stridan and went the distance but lost Miranda and couldn't get enough points elsewhere to win. 24-51

It was at this point that I began getting extremely worried. Like I said recently, I didn't even care about the prizes above top 32 (not to sound cocky like I thought I had a shot at them, I just didn't care for the rulers or Kallus token or Rey card), so I only wanted the Integrated/R2-D2 combo card for showing up and the Engine Upgrade. Luckily there was only 31 people and they went ahead and handed those two cards out in the second round, but I still wanted to win some matches. I've always assumed I'm a middle-of-the-road, not great but not awful either. I wanted to win up somewhere in the middle of the pack but it was in that third round that I started to get worried that I wouldn't win any.

So the fourth match comes up and I face a girl running Luke with Swarm Leader, Tycho, and 2X Green Squadron Pilots with Snap Shot and Trick Shot. She wound up taking out Stramm midway through the match and I became incredibly stressed out. I got Tycho down to almost dead early on but after Stramm died I wound up with no ships close to him. I got Luke down to almost dead but then had to worry about my remaining two ships staying alive, because Miranda had one hull left. Final Round was called and I was shooting a TLT shot at Luke with 1 less die from a crit. Final shot of the TLT and I roll only one hit. She blanks out on her dice and I barely snag a win, 35 to 28. After reporting the score and tearing down to await round 5's pairings, she was talking to someone she knew about how close it was and then said "Oh my god, that last shot was through an obstacle, right? I didn't roll for obstructed!" I didn't realize it during the attack because I was so focused on my attack. I confirmed it was obstructed and that she didn't roll an extra and then waited to see what would happen next, if she would shrug it off or ask to roll another die real quick to see if she would get an evade. I mean, if she had requested it, I wouldn't have said no, and if she had rolled an evade, I would have asked the TO if the score could be changed. He might not have even changed it, but at that point I was like "What's the difference anyway? I'm playing so horribly that a win isn't consoling to me at all right now." But I definitely wasn't going to suggest to her that she roll a free die real quick. She brushed it off (she definitely seemed irritated about forgetting it, which was understandable) and that was that. 35-28

Round five was against a BroBot list. I've never flown against one before, so I don't know how standard they were. It was IG-88B and C though. It was interesting to fly against them and B was PtL-ing a lot, which made him a good target for Stramm's stress. I also got a fantastic EMP Device off on both of them when they were facing each other and I was behind one, which led to them bumping into each other and not moving for a while. I failed to capitalize on that though. I got one down to only a few hull left and one down to one shield left and thought 'Maybe I can score half points on both?' but there was a lot of time left. My opponent then realized that my last shot from Stramm that took out three shield was actually against the shieldless one that had damage on him already. When they were tied up pointing each other and finally flew on and switched sides, he got them mixed up. I did as well, I guess. I mean, I shot at one and saw him assign damage cards and stuff on his side but I wasn't looking intently at which pilot he was assigning to. So he said "Hold up, I mixed these up. You didn't actually take three shields off of *this* one, you killed *this* one and the other one still has some shields. I was still confused but we played on. He took both Miranda and Stramm down to one hull each and time was called. I got 50 points for killing one IG and he got none. 50-0.

So yeah, that was my day. Three bad losses and two wins that I barely won and hardly got any points for. So pretty much a terrible showing. I know people have bad days, dice aren't with them sometimes (they were spcertainly with some of my opponents, like the guy who took three cluster bombs to a ship and only rolled one hit on them), these events draw good players from everywhere in the area, and more. All of that makes me know that my ranking didn't automatically mean I'm a terrible X-Wing player, but it did mean that I played terribly at that time and gave an awful showing. I had been awaiting this for a while too: my first Store Championship, my first "higher tier than a seasonal kit OP," my first time possibly getting to play with some Krayts and other high-profile players. And then it wound up like that. I played horribly and my list wasn't that great either. Two Rebel 1AGI ships, a "ship you can't shoot at!" that was capable of being shot at by a lot of aces," and more.

On the plus side, I got two cards out of it that I wanted, I got a Hornet Squadron sticker from some guys to put on my Armada case which is covered in SW stickers, and I got to meet two of the SlingPaint guys. I also got to meet some of the players from different places throughout the region. I'm trying to get over it.

Final four of the event was the guy I faced in round one (so Soontir Fel made it to top 4, wow), both SlingPaint guys (one playing triple K-Wings, the other flying a Protectorate which may have been Fenn Rau and two Jumpmasters with Attani and torps, and the guy who won it flying Assaj and Bossk. All non-locals, which was kind of a bummer too. Turn out was good and it was the busiest event I've ever been to. They were also doing 15% off of ships and mats for the event (they sold like 4 or 5 C-ROCs at 15% off). It was an interesting day, just wish it would have gone a bit more my way. If I had lost two and won three by points, or lost three, went to the loser tier, and then won decisively and stomped the last two opponents, that would have been one thing. But now I'm wondering a bit "Am I any good at all?" Sigh... At least I don't expect to do well at the Armada event this weekend and just want to play the game and get some loot, since I'm still so new at that game.

Top Bottom