• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Enco said:
I can't imagine how that's possible.

Doesn't really seem like something that would ruin the game to be honest.
What's not to get?

G9QrE.png

As long as you don't have an arrow drawn it is the same as a sword.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Can I kill people in their homes without magically alerting the entire world this time?
Yes. This time only people who see the crime report it and you can kill the witnesses to stop that happening. I also think if you have a good enough relationship with a certain faction they will ignore lesser crimes.

dondarm

Banned
Dead Man said:
What's not to get?

G9QrE.png

As long as you don't have an arrow drawn it is the same as a sword.
Problem is that Oblivion used a dedicated button for casting, while Skyrim assignes the spells to one of your hands (guess you already knew that). problem is that if they allowed a spell in your off-hand you wouldn't be able to block and bash wih your bow.

Btw, from what I've read, you can't block with your weapon if you dual wield, or have a one handed weapon and a spell equipped. You can block if you only have a one-handed weapon equipped and nothing in the other hand. You can block with two-handed weapons too. I'd really like some conformation on this.

Dead Man

dondarm said:
Problem is that Oblivion used a dedicated button for casting, while Skyrim assignes the spells to one of your hands (guess you already knew that). problem is that if they allowed a spell in you wouldn't be able to block and bash wih your bow.
Yeah, I get they are using a new system, I just liked the old one.

Edit:
GasProblem said:
Btw, from what I've read, you can't block with your weapon if you dual wield, or have a one handed weapon and a spell equipped. You can block if you only have a one-handed weapon equipped and nothing in the other hand. You can block with two-handed weapons too. I'd really like some conformation on this.
Wait, that doesn't make any sense at all.

GasProblem said:

That's exactly how it works.

With a two handed weapon you can block using the weapon itself (including bows)
With only a one handed weapon equipped you can block using the weapon, or equip a shield.
With dual wielded weapons you can't block at all.
With a one handed weapon and a spell equipped, you also can't block.

Bootaaay said:

With only a one handed weapon equipped you can block using the weapon, or equip a shield.

Thanks! Didn't know you could block with bows.

Dead Man

Bootaaay said:

What the hell?

Dead Man said:
What the hell?

yeah, that is very stupid...

Even with one weapon and a spell you should be able to block, but maybe your block could be broken easier, or you take shock damage...the system sounds a bit archaic to be honest. Not as shitty as the Witcher 2 blocking though...I basically never use blocking in that game, even in Dark Mode

Dead Man

DeathIsTheEnd said:
I'm fairly certain you do a lot more damage, so it makes sense to me.
Sorry, makes none to me.
nelsonroyale said:
yeah, that is very stupid...

Even with one weapon and a spell you should be able to block, but maybe your block could be broken easier, or you take shock damage...the system sounds a bit archaic to be honest. Not as shitty as the Witcher 2 blocking though...I basically never use blocking in that game, even in Dark Mode
Yeah, I can see your block being less effective, but not able at all is ridiculous.

Dead Man said:
Sorry, makes none to me.

Yeah, I can see your block being less effective, but not able at all is ridiculous.
It all comes down to balancing. Sure, it might not be realistic that you can't block, but if you cause much more damage there has to be some trade off.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
I'm fairly certain you do a lot more damage, so it makes sense to me.

Yeah, there's a lot more opportunity to do damage with two handed weapons, as you can chain together attacks between one and the other fairly quickly, and if you hold down both attack buttons you can do dual power moves, which are particularly brutal.

Leckan said:
Can you have companions in this one, unlike Oblivion? Horses doesn't count.

Yep, there are, I posted a bit about that eariler;

"So far I've seen mercenaries I can hire to fight with me (no idea how many you can have at one time), also
I did some cool things for the Jarl of Whiterun and he made me a 'Thane' of the city and gave me some warrior woman as my 'Housecarl', and she'll go pretty much wherever I tell her. You can give her direct commands as well, like go kill that guy, go sit there, etc.
"

Dead Man

DeathIsTheEnd said:
It all comes down to balancing. Sure, it might not be realistic that you can't block, but if you cause much more damage there has to be some trade off.
Yeah, sure you need to balance it, but balance it in a realistic way. Reduce the total damage for each weapon if dual wielding, and reduce the block efficiency. Just like the real downsides to using two weapons. It's not a gamebreaker or anything, it just seems a silly way to do it. I don't think you should be able to dual wield with any proficiency until you are very high level, just like real life, the shit is hard. That would balance it right there.

Enco

Dead Man said:
What's not to get?

http://i.imgur.com/G9QrE.png[/ IMG]

As long as you don't have an arrow drawn it is the same as a sword.[/QUOTE]
I thought you meant fire both at the same time :lol

Dead Man said:
Yeah, sure you need to balance it, but balance it in a realistic way. Reduce the total damage for each weapon if dual wielding, and reduce the block efficiency. Just like the real downsides to using two weapons. It's not a gamebreaker or anything, it just seems a silly way to do it. I don't think you should be able to dual wield with any proficiency until you are very high level, just like real life, the shit is hard. That would balance it right there.
Yeah, not sure why they don't just look to traditional D&D rules for some of this stuff. Reducing damage in your off-hand makes the most sense for stuff like this.

rasberryjam said:
Yeah, not sure why they don't just look to traditional D&D rules for some of this stuff. Reducing damage in your off-hand makes the most sense for stuff like this.

I'd guess their primary reason is that the combat-system is designed around using two buttons for controlling respective hand, and when one of those is unused or is a shield (or when both hands are used for a single item), the other button blocks. Blocking while dual-wielding would have meant that they needed an additional button. Not a problem on PC-controls but maybe they needed to be conservative on the consoles.

Piercedveil said:
Just went through the 4 pages I missed. Pretty interesting we will have an update on day one, which also is very good.
Agreed, very interesting. It sounds like Skyrim is shaping up to be Bethesda's least buggiest game at launch..

Reluctant-Hero said:
Agreed, very interesting. It sounds like Skyrim is shaping up to be Bethesda's least buggiest game at launch..

Let's hope so! I really hope bugs will be reported to Bethesda and continue to get patched as needed.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Reluctant-Hero said:

It does seem pretty solid but I expected that based on the engine changes.

Really though, the bugs in previous games are exaggerated (at least on 360, PS3 has had issues). New Vegas was fucked up but Fallout and Oblivion played perfectly fine.

Blue Ninja said:
It is. Still, though...

skyrimmusicsetgatefoldinside.jpg

Wasn't going to order this, but the soundtrack is just too good.

Emerson said:

Really though, the bugs in previous games are exaggerated (at least on 360, PS3 has had issues). New Vegas was fucked up but Fallout and Oblivion played perfectly fine.

True. Played the 360 versions. I had minimal issues with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and New Vegas had a ton of problems.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Reluctant-Hero said:

We all said that for oblivion... Then the corrupted save files started occurring :p

Seep

Government-man said:
I'd guess their primary reason is that the combat-system is designed around using two buttons for controlling respective hand, and when one of those is unused or is a shield (or when both hands are used for a single item), the other button blocks. Blocking while dual-wielding would have meant that they needed an additional button. Not a problem on PC-controls but maybe they needed to be conservative on the consoles.
Press both triggers together to cross your swords and there's your block move right there.

Emerson said:

Oblivion did have some strange glitches, even if not game breaking..

2011-07-24_00002.jpg

Seep said:
Press both triggers together to cross your swords and there's your block move right there.

That seems to be used for special dual-wield attacks:

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, there's a lot more opportunity to do damage with two handed weapons, as you can chain together attacks between one and the other fairly quickly, and if you hold down both attack buttons you can do dual power moves, which are particularly brutal.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Piercedveil said:
Oblivion did have some strange glitches, even if not game breaking.

Yeah it did, but I find them mostly amusing rather than annoying. It will be better without them for sure, but they weren't enough to detract from the game for me.

And then there was the duplication glitch and stuff like that, which I was genuinely glad existed. I hope there's another.

Emerson said:
Yeah it did, but I find them mostly amusing rather than annoying. It will be better without them for sure, but they weren't enough to detract from the game for me.

Yeah, I agree with that. Finding a woman hovering a little off the ground with her head stretched back-breakingly between her legs and running very fast was unusual and very amusing. (I killed her btw)

Zeliard

Bootaaay said:

Do they have a method of dodging if you can't block (beyond 'stay out of enemy range')?

Zeliard said:
Do they have a method of dodging if you can't block (beyond 'stay out of enemy range')?

Not that I've found. If you do a power attack away from your enemy you kind of lunge forward out of range, but it's awkward to swing the camera back around in time.

To be honest, I abandoned the idea of dual wielding when I found I couldn't block at all. Maybe I'll go back to it later on when I'm more levelled up and don't have to worry about stuff killing me all the time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Government-man said:
This is great, but I think the giant head thing in Dragon Age is still my favourite glitch. Does anyone have that GIF?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
FreeMufasa said:
This will be my first true ES experience. I think i'm going to play this really slowly over a long period of time.

It's an interesting experience. Almost like an MMO without other players. Just you thrown in this massive environment with things to see or do at every corner. Definitely a game to savor. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom