• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official U.S. Playstation Magazine - December 2006

Wollan

Ceb said:
Regarding the enemies, I guess the rumor about the pro-Chimera human faction was bollocks...

Ted said in his blog that they are a part of the story but won't be encountered as enemies in the levels.

Tieno

I'm a bit bummed with the thin story, because it seemed pretty interesting to me. The enemy variety I'm surprised, cause to me it seemed like there were lots of them. But qaulity is more important than qauntity, hope it's quality. But as they're 'minor' complaints, I doubt they'll bother me much, if at all. A 9 is good, lets see what other reviewers give Resistance.
Did he say something about the evironments or the setting? The variety of them? Something about the art direction?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
LoathsomeCorpse said:
They don't work for Sony. They work for Ziff Davis.

True, but, my point is that they are quick to get on Sony, even though it's called: The Official Playstation Magazine. People always shout Moneyhats when something gets a good review. I'm just saying that the guys are fairly unbiased. I've read plenty of articles in OPM where they bashed something from Sony.lol

sangreal

Tieno said:
I'm a bit bummed with the thin story, because it seemed pretty interesting to me. The enemy variety I'm surprised, cause to me it seemed like there were lots of them. But qaulity is more important than qauntity, hope it's quality. But as they're 'minor' complaints, I doubt they'll bother me much, if at all. A 9 is good, lets see what other reviewers give Resistance.
Did he say something about the evironments or the setting? The variety of them? Something about the art direction?

There are a lot of enemies, he just says you mostly fight the same ones. As for the setting he says there is "a generous amount of variety in setting and tone."

I am afraid I may have done a bad job in communicating what he meant so I'll just quote the parts on enemy variety and story:

"While the alternate-history backstory provides exceptionally fertile ground for both the setting and the story, the story itself ends up feeling surprisingly thin. It's told in an unusual style, and it certainly goes beyond the FPS standard (which is, basically, no story at all), but it fails to expand far beyond the fairly traditional alien-invasion or viral-infection trope."

"This is a fairly minor gripe, though...as are most of my other gripes. For example, I found the humanoid Chimera hybrids--by far the most numerous enemy in the game--to be a little too similar; while there's a nice variety in enemy types overall, more often than not you're encountering minor variations of the same type, which can get a small bit monotonous. I also found a couple of the weapons to be significantly less useful than the others, but of course that could just my particular playing style."

I hope that clears things up

Odrion

Banned
Reilly said:
How does Guitar Hero 2 get a 10? It's basically the same as the first one with different songs and a practice mode that should have already been there.

Because Guitar Hero 1 deserved an 11 score.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Vyse The Legend said:
Just read the Ace Combat review. He basically says that it is more of the same, and the series is heading towards a Dynasty Warriors level of milkage. He also says that the new features (parts and AI tweaking) are just "one more menu screen" and do not majorly influence the gameplay.

More of the same?

You mean a great flying game with an interesting story, nice variety of aircraft and missions, great framerate, great gameplay and cutscenes? All down-sized incredibly well to fit on the PSP?

Yeah that's definitely a BAD thing.

:rolleyes

I don't normally get pissed off about reviews anymore... but if you're lurking.. you can suck my d*ck.. really... suck it right the hell off. That is point blank a BAD review.

EDIT:

And while I certainly don't care about fps "I also found a couple of the weapons to be significantly less useful than the others, but of course that could just my particular playing style."

That seems like a strange statement to make because I'd imagine in every fps there is a weapon that doesn't work well in certain situations or work well with a certain persons style of play.

Not sure if this has been posted but Famitsu's PS3 reviews already in

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Bandai Namco): 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 - (36/40)
* Very pleasing experience, especially the overall content size of the game is tremendous. Sound and graphics are called "overwhelming"

Genji: Kamui Souran (PS3, Sony): 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 - (29/40)
* Some camera probs, control, size and accessibility for novices are good. Kudos also to the ending of the game

Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3, Sony): 9 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (33/40)
* Gameplay-wise simply an ego-shooter with excellent online mode and a very high next-gen standard for gfx and sound

Sega Golfclub Featuring Miyazato Family (PS3, Sega): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
* doesn't look like an next-gen game, but it's ok.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (PS3, Bandai Namco): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
* impressive textures and models, suits look outstanding and there's alot of content to unlock. Fun to play

Odrion said:
Because Guitar Hero 1 deserved an 11 score.
1up Guitar Hero review said:
Truth be told, 1UP recently held a group "review" session that lasted late into the night. After a few beers, some leaps off the couch, about 8 renditions of Boston, countless moments of faux-rockstar posturing, and actually stomping so hard that we broke the disc during the thundering finale of "Take Me Out," everyone seemed to agree on a score for Guitar Hero.

But our scale only goes up to 10.

sangreal said:
PS3
PS2
Tales of the Abyss - 5

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

are you serious?! :lol

Wow. I've never said this for any publication or website, but this is ...abysmal! Blech. Credibility - 100%.

**** opm.

WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
**** WHY CANT SOMEONE WITH THE MAGAZINE ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUESTION

nincompoop said:
WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
WHATS ON THE DEMO DISC
**** WHY CANT SOMEONE WITH THE MAGAZINE ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUESTION

No one has the physical magazine AFAIK. The reviews are posted on LexisNexis.

nataku said:
What did they say about Resistance?

This is the game Sony's been talking about, the flagship first-party title for the launch of the PS3. This is the game that's intended to usher in the "HD Era," the marquee title for the new system. This is the game everyone's looking at to set the tone for the PS3. Of course, it's not at all fair to lay this heavy a trip on a single game--but fair or not, Resistance is the first-party game Sony's pushing the hardest for launch, and that means it has a great deal to live up to. Now the question is: Can it bear the weight of all these heavy expectations?

The answer is a reasonably solid "yes." But before I go into detail, let me tell you what Resistance isn't. It's not the greatest first-person shooter ever devised, nor is it a revolutionary leap forward in technology. Its graphics won't make your brain explode, nor will they make you think you're living in the fourth dimension.

What Resistance is, though, is a really excellent, story-driven FPS. It's a marked step forward in the genre, bringing together elements from some of the best shooters on the market, infusing them with Insomniac's insane ability to craft unconventional weapons, and wrapping them up in a beautifully presented package.

The bottom line is that Resistance is a truly excellent FPS, rich in variety, atmosphere, and sheer entertainment. With a launch game this good, I can only imagine what untapped power lurks in the PS3's innards.

Verdict: A supremely competent shooter that excels at top-level design. A few minor flaws hurt the overall score (no online co-op, lack of chimera variety, etc), but not much.

Score: 9|10

don't ask for a link

Amir0x

Banned
PhoenixDark, I really hate to say this, but posting the ENTIRE review text is essentially the same as posting copyrighted information or an english-language scan. If you can, simply post an excerpt or a summary.

Odysseus

Banned
Amir0x said:
PhoenixDark, I really hate to say this, but posting the ENTIRE review text is essentially the same as posting copyrighted information or an english-language scan. If you can, simply post an excerpt or a summary.

PMs sir

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's virtually no discussion of the online component in that review, interestingly enough. Was this really just a review of the single player? The online multiplayer ought to (hopefully) be the game's strongest point...in the longer run, a great single player game is almost secondary to that for many people.

sangreal

gofreak said:
There's virtually no discussion of the online component in that review, interestingly enough. Was this really just a review of the single player? The online multiplayer ought to (hopefully) be the game's strongest point...in the longer run, a great single player game is almost secondary to that for many people.

They discuss the multiplayer in a seperate piece

Some highlights (more objective than subjective, but they had mostly positive things to say about MP. The only big complaint I recall was the limited number of maps (only 4 support 40 players)):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4719433&postcount=56

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sangreal said:
They discuss the multiplayer in a seperate piece

Some highlights (more objective than subjective, but they had mostly positive things to say about MP. The only big complaint I recall was the limited number of maps (only 4 support 40 players)):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4719433&postcount=56

Ah, cheers, I was wondering if they did something like that. Do they give any more subjective impressions of it?

Ceb

I hope there's an abundance of those story documents to be found in Resistance. Loved it in past RE games and Metroid Prime.

sangreal

gofreak said:
Ah, cheers, I was wondering if they did something like that. Do they give any more subjective impressions of it?

They really don't go in-depth on the subjective side, but here are some quotes:

"It's clear that Insomniac has learned a thing or two from the experiment of bringing Ratchet online; the online component in Resistance is exceptionally well put-together, providing a broad, varied, and extremely customizable experience."

"Overall, the vast array of options makes for a really satisfying online experience."

"both sides seemed quite well balanced in our playtime"

"Multiplayer is no afterthought, but rather a fully fleshed-out component of the game."

And, again the only complaint they mentioned:
"It would be nice to see more than 11 levels (especially since only 4 of those support 40 players, with others supporting 8 to 32), but since most of these levels are simply enormous, you'll still see a lot of variety."

Wollan

Four new weapons when replaying the game. Crazy.

He calls the game a story driven fps but mentions that it feels pretty thin. I guess it's pretty straight forward.

I wish he wrote an opinion on Resistance's multiplayer but that aspect of the game you can pretty much take to the bank at this point.

I suppose we can get some more maps later. This is just hopeful but when I think of insomniac, I think an additional map pack may be free.

Trakdown

PhoenixDark said:
Take, for example, the Bullseye. This snazzy little number lets you send out a "tag' that future bullets will all home in on. Guy around the corner getting you down? Pop out, tag him, and then duck back behind cover and let loose a stream of homing bullets to finish him off.

Everytime I hear about this weapon, I keep thinking of that Ubergun from Fifth Element that Zorg had.

The answer is a reasonably solid "yes." But before I go into detail, let me tell you what Resistance isn't. It's not the greatest first-person shooter ever devised, nor is it a revolutionary leap forward in technology. Its graphics won't make your brain explode, nor will they make you think you're living in the fourth dimension.

What Resistance is, though, is a really excellent, story-driven FPS. It's a marked step forward in the genre, bringing together elements from some of the best shooters on the market, infusing them with Insomniac's insane ability to craft unconventional weapons, and wrapping them up in a beautifully presented package.

Somehow I think the game is going to be faulted for not being revolutionary (and probably mostly by people who had no interest in the game to begin with), but this sounds beautiful to me.

fse

4 maps support 40 players, not bad. Do the maps scale to smaller ones if there are less than 40 players playing? That would be cool.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Somehow I think the game is going to be faulted for not being revolutionary (and probably mostly by people who had no interest in the game to begin with), but this sounds beautiful to me.

Now a PS3 game like Resistance has to basically reach an incredibly high bar set by mags like OPM where it's not good enough just to do everything it tries to do very well, but it now has to have both graphics that make people's brains explode AND revolutionize the genre, that's effectively setting the title up to fall short.

Raistlin

Reilly said:
How does Guitar Hero 2 get a 10? It's basically the same as the first one with different songs and a practice mode that should have already been there.

It has a lot more songs than the previous one, plus a much better 2-player mode.

J-Rzez

I don't think anyone expected Insomniac to reinvent the wheel here, but what they accomplished it seems is all I wanted... They took the best elements and put them in a neat lil' package, plus their twist on weaponry... Good deal...

Insomniac, hats off... (for now, until I play it, then either the hat goes on, stays off, or the pants come off too)... :)

-Every human vs. hybrid match is atleast two rounds with sides switching after every round because Insomniac recognizes players will find ways to exploit one side over the other

That's awesome. And if I'm reading the conversion game description right, that one is going to make for some really intense moments. There's a lot of tension in not knowing who is really going to be your enemy or friend at any given point during the game. And it's also pretty crazy when you realize that you're the last player on your particular side, and that it's suddenly you against seven other players.
This could really be awesome on larger, more complex map.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sangreal said:
They say it is exactly the same as the first one but with different music. They go as far as saying "it's almost not even a Lumines 1.5"
And yet they rate Guitar Hero 2 - 10.

Both originals of these two games were awesome games, why such different treatment for sequels if all they both offer is more music?

Fady K

Marconelly said:

Both originals of these two games were awesome games, why such different treatment for sequels if all they both offer is more music?

QFT

And 5/10 for Tales of the Abyss is just wrong(yeah, yeah, i know, its their opinion so its ok, right :/ )

kenta

Has no PEINS
Marconelly said:

Well GH2 has co-op, practice mode, tweaked HO/POs, new chords, new characters, etc in addition to more songs

Top Bottom