• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Revolt |OT| Heart of the Cards

Pepboy

Thanks, it seems like you can also rename the protagonist right?

Short answer, yes.

You can rename them at the beginning when creating a profile / save. You can also rename anytime before you connect to the internet. However, after creating your account, if you connect to the internet it says you cannot rename. So if you play the quests, then play online, then realize you want a new name for some reason, you'd have to restart.

Thanks so much for replying pep:

I wish to know a few things before buying the game and I humbly ask for your help...:

1) Does the protagonist, which is renameable, build any bonds with the characters? To the point there is genuine friendship or subtle romance with the characters, for example with Alicia?

2) How is the ending of this game? Is it happy or sad?

I am okay with spoilers. In fact, my enjoyment will be heighteend if I know I will be working towards a good ending with some romance between the MC and the characters or Alicia.

Thanks in advance!

Regiruler

That's a poor argument to make for any card in a card game. Just because you didn't draw them in your starting hand doesn't mean you won't draw them in your next few cards. There is an argument that can be made that generous mulligan rules would make certain combos far too easily achievable in card games, but Culdcept by default is a game with such high variance that I don't see a simple mulligan rule affecting it that much.

You already have so many consistency cards that you would practically be playing the same turns.

The cards are attuned to the game's variance. They're plain enough as it is. With a mulligan you could probably set up a water kelpie turn 2-3 every 2/3 games.

Pepboy

Thanks so much for replying pep:

I wish to know a few things before buying the game and I humbly ask for your help...:

1) Does the protagonist, which is renameable, build any bonds with the characters? To the point there is genuine friendship or subtle romance with the characters, for example with Alicia?

2) How is the ending of this game? Is it happy or sad?

I am okay with spoilers. In fact, my enjoyment will be heighteend if I know I will be working towards a good ending with some romance between the MC and the characters or Alicia.

Thanks in advance!

I will spoil tag everything to be safe, but to be clear, I'm only 12 hours in. Perhaps another player who has seen the credits can give you better answers.

I am only on the
3rd or 4th mission of the "2nd" chapter. There is one series of tutorials that in total probably take 30-45 minutes. Then the "1st" chapter which is 3-4 maps, which basically serves as a prologue. I am now on the "2nd" chapter. Here,
every map has multiple side story adventures, so I've actually beaten something like 6-9 missions, but only 2-3 of them actually advance the "main" story.

Regarding your questions
1. I feel the bonds are there for genuine friendship. Something happens at the end of the "1st" chapter that both breaks the bonds but I think also COULD make them stronger. In particular, something happens to Alicia but personally I'm not sure what it means. LAST SPOILER WARNING FOR ANYONE TO STOP READING.
It seems Alicia may have died, but I really doubt it's permanent. In particular, there's this split second where it looks like she may have gotten pulled into a hole? But maybe it was a graphical bug. Maybe she becomes evil? I don't know. I'm really not sure which direction the story will go, there's a lot of potentially interesting possibilities. I would say they are interesting bonds, and I do get the sense they should be possible to go deeper, but I could see a case where your character basically discards them and finds new allies. To be more specific, you are sort of "rescued" by several characters and get to know them in chapter 1, and I think that makes for a good foundation of genuine friendship. Regarding romance, I really didn't get that sense yet -- certainly nothing like Fire Emblem Fates with choosing among multiple people to pair up the avatar. There's been no "shy girl who has crush on you" or "blushing hints" if you get my drift. But right now everyone in the game is fighting to survive, more or less, so maybe it develops later. The scenes I saw with Alicia seemed more like a proud leader trying to do her best... so I can't say romance is impossible but there were no direct hints of it. If you give me a couple of days I should have a better answer.

Regarding question 2, I can't say as I've not seen the ending or heard anything about it. I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Typing all that out reminded me how much I want to see what happens!

Thank so very much Pep, I would love to hear from you when you have played more and also hear from you when you have reached the ending. Please update here when you do!

Really eagerly looking forward to your reply. Thanks so much in advance humble

GamingBird essentially this game
has three endings, the credits roll three times. Each time it is a happy-ish ending. Sometimes with a sad bit. The first two times it's like, well we resolved one of our major goals but why the heck is THIS happening? And the next part of the story deals with that.

In the third section, the game has some pretty weird stuff. Well I guess there's interesting twists all along but in the third part it's like, wow did they really go there?

There isn't really romance involving the main character. But if you choose, you can keep partnering up with one particular character who is there with you for most of the game, and you do become pretty close as a result.

EDIT: Fine, I thought I was being vague enough.

Buzzi

Are cards paired with packs and in some way is it indicated in game which packs to buy for each?

Gameplay is really good, it's awesome when some big combo gets through, although for now (quest #2 stage #3) map design can still improve.
Story eh, it seems a bit cringy to me, like every scene has to bring on a battle, even when it seems a stupid thing to do. And that amnesia trope better stop soon.

Totakeke

You already have so many consistency cards that you would practically be playing the same turns.

The cards are attuned to the game's variance. They're plain enough as it is. With a mulligan you could probably set up a water kelpie turn 2-3 every 2/3 games.

What consistency cards are you talking about? Either they're too good that they reduce variance significantly, or either they're not good enough because they help but doesn't get you Kelpie all the time.

Also there's a ton of different mulligan rules, a simple full hand shuffle and redraw doesn't really improve your chances of getting a specific set of cards that much. If getting one copy of a four copy card in a 50 card deck within your first 6-7 cards is too good, then it's the card that's too good. Nobody likes a game where you simply lose because one guy drew a water kelpie in his opening hands and no one else did.

Never used a water kelpie deck so I'm going by what you're saying. If having a more consistent game is a problem then it's the card that's a problem, not the consistency itself.

shaowebb

What consistency cards are you talking about? Either they're too good that they reduce variance significantly, or either they're not good enough because they help but doesn't get you Kelpie all the time.

Also there's a ton of different mulligan rules, a simple full hand shuffle and redraw doesn't really improve your chances of getting a specific set of cards that much. If getting one copy of a four copy card in a 50 card deck within your first 6-7 cards is too good, then it's the card that's too good. Nobody likes a game where you simply lose because one guy drew a water kelpie in his opening hands and no one else did.

Never used a water kelpie deck so I'm going by what you're saying. If having a more consistent game is a problem then it's the card that's a problem, not the consistency itself.
As far as mulligans go its rather moot in culdcept. Youll likely make it through your entire deck once or more in a match and there are tons of spells to draw cards, choose cards or even mulligan at any point anyhow. Hell many boards have areas that if you land on it you get to choose to mulligan if you want to. This is stuff thats already taken care of folks.

As far as consistency cards go no you are not playing the same hand with samey cards. Ogres are a prime example. They come in any color but with same stats and cost. How is playing one different than another? Land elements. If you dont match elements you cant chain for tolls or stat boosts. You need a general tank that can use any item scroll or attack item for your particular deck that emphasizes a certain element then you need all these different color ogres. Plus the sam egoes vs an opponents deck. If they rock a lot of cards with bonuses vs an element you need to gear up for a different element deck but youll still need certain roles fulfilled.

Also kelpie cant run a train on anything now. Most spells and scrolls waste it off the board for little effort, plus general high atk stat cards for battle abound. Leveling a kelpie is not a catchall anymore as it can more easily force fights you have to struggle in now than ever. If you time when to put it out its still a great way for toll collecting but its not broken.

Its culdcept. Its been refined in each game more and more for decades. Theres no real truely redundant or broken anything in the game. Everything has counter tactics and with how often you can clear your deck in a match youll get your chance to take anything out.

GamingBird essentially this game
has three endings, the credits roll three times. Each time it is a happy-ish ending. Sometimes with a sad bit. The first two times it's like, well we resolved one of our major goals but why the heck is THIS happening? And the next part of the story deals with that.

In the third section, the game has some pretty weird stuff. Well I guess there's interesting twists all along but in the third part it's like, wow did they really go there?

There isn't really romance involving the main character. But if you choose, you can keep partnering up with one particular character who is there with you for most of the game, and you do become pretty close as a result.

EDIT: Fine, I thought I was being vague enough.

Thank you, so you are saying this game has
three endings? Do I have to play the game 3 times to reach the 3 endings?

And may I please know what you mean by keeping partnering with one particular character who accompanies you most of the game? Is it Alicia? I thought she dies?

I humbly ask for the spoilers because I really want to fully commit and enjoy this game and knowing there is a good ending and that there is some character development heightens my enjoyment much...

Totakeke

As far as mulligans go its rather moot in culdcept. Youll likely make it through your entire deck once or more in a match and there are tons of spells to draw cards, choose cards or even mulligan at any point anyhow. Hell many boards have areas that if you land on it you get to choose to mulligan if you want to. This is stuff thats already taken care of folks.

As far as consistency cards go no you are not playing the same hand with samey cards. Ogres are a prime example. They come in any color but with same stats and cost. How is playing one different than another? Land elements. If you dont match elements you cant chain for tolls or stat boosts. You need a general tank that can use any item scroll or attack item for your particular deck that emphasizes a certain element then you need all these different color ogres. Plus the sam egoes vs an opponents deck. If they rock a lot of cards with bonuses vs an element you need to gear up for a different element deck but youll still need certain roles fulfilled.

Also kelpie cant run a train on anything now. Most spells and scrolls waste it off the board for little effort, plus general high atk stat cards for battle abound. Leveling a kelpie is not a catchall anymore as it can more easily force fights you have to struggle in now than ever. If you time when to put it out its still a great way for toll collecting but its not broken.

Its culdcept. Its been refined in each game more and more for decades. Theres no real truely redundant or broken anything in the game. Everything has counter tactics and with how often you can clear your deck in a match youll get your chance to take anything out.

Maybe you're not addressing your post directly to me, but this is going pretty far from the original point. Just introduce a simple mulligan rule to reduce variance and improve gameplay experience. If a game becomes worse just because it's a bit more consistent, then you guys are playing games for a different reason than I do.

Yes, there are many tools to reduce variance, including really awesome cards that you get as you play the game. But who cares, this is to improve the overall experience and have games less based on luck of the draw. This is true especially at the start where you have less control over the game since you don't have that many cards in your collection to work with.

Thank you, so you are saying this game has
three endings? Do I have to play the game 3 times to reach the 3 endings?

And may I please know what you mean by keeping partnering with one particular character who accompanies you most of the game? Is it Alicia? I thought she dies?

I humbly ask for the spoilers because I really want to fully commit and enjoy this game and knowing there is a good ending and that there is some character development heightens my enjoyment much...

The game is one continuous story with new questions raised as you go. Part one is about defeating the count...part two is about how to stop a bad thing from happening to the world...and part three is about what caused the bad thing happening in the first place.

The character who is generally always with you is Yuma. But really you don't fall in love or anything. It's a pretty shallow story overall but still somewhat enjoyable. The real purpose of the game is the cards, the deck building, etc.

Some of the ways to deal with Kelpie and Old Willow:

- Direct damage spells...Blaze Splash (HP -30 to red or blue creature), Thunderclap (HP -30 to creature with summon conditions), Shining Geyser (HP -30, can be raised to -40 if you give up a spell card, but it's expensive), even Magic Bolt can get you partway there. -30 is all you need for Kelpie but Willow has 40 HP.
- Creature secret arts that deal damage like the above or reduce MHP
- Quintessence changes the land back to neutral color, and both Kelpie and Willow require being on their color to work, so this at least delays their stop effect until the user can pay to fix it (which can be very expensive)
- Add insult to injury by following up with Holy Banishment, which sends the card back to their hand if the creature element is different from its land, which it now is due to Quintessence
- Peace makes the toll of that territory 0, even though it still stops you
- Battering Ram instantly kills defensive creatures, and Willow is one
- Cockatrice + Battering Ram is a deadly combo that is tough to prevent...Cockatrice first turns the creature to a wall-type (blue becomes Wall of Ice etc.) and then because all of those are defensive, Battering Ram instantly kills them at the end of combat
- Turn To The Wall changes any creature to its elemental wall-type, negating their stop effect
- Lunatic Hare + Ring of the Succubus...set their ST to 0, and then at the end of combat, swap their HP and ST, killing them instantly
- Exchange can forcibly switch it out with another creature from their hand, but this is just a short reprieve
- Almost any scroll, if your enemy doesn't have anti-scroll defenses or multiple MHP buffs
- Senility (Last Breath) that instantly kills the creature at the end of combat, or Binding Mist (Paralysis) that prevents them from engaging in combat or their stop effect from working, or even Tyranny if it's a Kelpie (Paralyzes everything on the map with MHP 30 or less)
- Blackout prevents a cepter from receiving tolls for 2 rounds, but they can also just replace this effect with a Holy Word or something
- Topaz and Turquoise Amulets have a 60% chance of causing instant death to creatures of certain colors, and it feels like this happens all the time
- If your enemy thinks they're going to be clever and block you from doing any damage to them at all, Napalm Arrow will lower their MHP by 40 at the end of combat

etc.

And something mentioned above, a Kelpie really isn't "set up" by turn 2 or 3. You need a blue land first, which takes luck to land on...then swap out the guy on that blue land or claim a second one (which might not even be blue)...then it's fatigued so you need to make a lap to be able to level the land up, and usually won't have the money to go beyond level 3, which would cost a player like 128 if they land on it and can't kill it...and at this time it's still quite easily killable or at least something you can screw around with to neuter. You'd want Peace or Metal Form to protect it and MHP increasing cards to buff it up, and those are assuming the other players can't just eliminate those buffs themselves, or are packing scrolls.

It takes at least 10 turns to do it right, make it defensible, a real threat. And by then, the other players have also had 10 turns to set traps of their own that might even work better.

Tamanator

Enjoy. I've used this theme for a deck since the FIRST culdcept and it in general has been able to carry me most of the way through every game and pretty far in straight up competitive sets vs humans. Its powerful and even the sub boss in the PS2 used a version of it.

Thanks for the rundown Shaowebb. Just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. Looking forward to diving in.

Totakeke

I must say the music is really good.

Has anyone else had luck with playing multiplayer so far? Often there's no players around. I did manage to play one beginner game and it was a pretty tense match.

Totakeke

After unlocking all the packs and just buying the rich packs, the game feels a bit miserable. It's 5k gold to get 10 cards and often they're all new cards... which is great, but there's so many cards in the game which means it does really take a huge amount of time just to get 2-4 copies of one card to build a deck around it.

More than 45 hours into the game, I don't even have a single copy of Old Willow. And I have 2 copies of Kelpie. If I follow the farming guide, which is really quite monotonous, I can probably buy a single pack in like 25 mins. If I don't, I'll probably take more time and maybe twice as much for another 10 cards. The game mechanics are really good... but I don't think I can stomach the grind.

There's 66 N, 104S, and 67R. The Rich pack gives you 6S and 4R and draws from the entire pool. Dear lord. On the flipside, whoever is looking to play this game for hundreds of hours will definitely get their fill.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Kinda why I'm not so bummed I didn't rush through the single player before spending G. I've got 3 Old Willows, and quite a few 2 ofs for Rares. Also want to enjoy as many beginner online matches until it becomes even more barren than it is.

Started playing this after finishing Mario and Luigi SS's remake.

First impressions are extremely positive - the interface is so slick! Feels like a Matsuno strategy RPG in execution in how it uses screen space and the two screens, and how fast and snappy everything is to navigate.

Also: 60fps in 3D mode with copious use of 3DS's programmable shaders which was a surprise. The programmers are Omiya Soft don't mess around. Is 60fps a New 3DS only thing - how is it on regular 3DS/2DS/3DS XL?

@ Pep and @ Unclespooky

Apparently I found out there is a few more characters...

They are:
A childhood friend female knight, a sister... and apparently the female knight has romantic feelings for the the protagonist.

Just wondering if there is any subtle romance between the childhood friend and the MC?

Regiruler

Does revival reset metamorphosis?
kraniss
plays revival and having him get back his magma items is a pain when I'm an item based deck.

EDIT:

FUCK YOU YUMA FOR EXCHANGING MY EVO CARD THEM DISCARDING IT, THAT THING HAS CARD EATER AND FLOATS INTO ANOTHER CARD WITH 65 ASS

Regiruler

Am I the only one noticing some localization bumps?

I saw a "palce".

EDIT: just pulled a sky gear, I'm gonna have to build this deck aren't I. Really cool bonus, I want more complex cards like this

butzopower

proud of his butz
@ Pep and @ Unclespooky

Apparently I found out there is a few more characters...

They are:
A childhood friend female knight, a sister... and apparently the female knight has romantic feelings for the the protagonist.

Just wondering if there is any subtle romance between the childhood friend and the MC?

This is seriously not that type of game. Like, you get about 20 seconds of a trite amnesia story between 30 minute board game battles. If you aren't interested in strategy / card / board games, you will hate this game. I'd love you to spend your money on this to make NIS bring over the next Culdcept game, but don't do it for the awful story.

Regiruler

This is seriously not that type of game. Like, you get about 20 seconds of a trite amnesia story between 30 minute board game battles. If you aren't interested in strategy / card / board games, you will hate this game. I'd love you to spend your money on this to make NIS bring over the next Culdcept game, but don't do it for the awful story.

I wouldn't call it outright awful. It's a decent enough driver once you approach the climax. I wish they would make the AI decks more varied though, like give them access to cards you don't have yet.

R0ckman

Sometimes you wonder if this game is really just RNG, had a three player match in the story where barely any of the enemy character landed on ANY big toll territories (the map was almost fully covered when this was going on) until the end (causing me to win lol). I was constantly hitting them from the other players and having to hold on to a Scylla so her sleep effect could let me bypass the tolls.

What are the best ways to farm for money? I think I found a deck I'm willing to work with but need more copies of cards.

shaowebb

Sometimes you wonder if this game is really just RNG, had a three player match in the story where barely any of the enemy character landed on ANY big toll territories (the map was almost fully covered when this was going on) until the end (causing me to win lol). I was constantly hitting them from the other players and having to hold on to a Scylla so her sleep effect could let me bypass the tolls.

What are the best ways to farm for money? I think I found a deck I'm willing to work with but need more copies of cards.

Gp farming so you can buy more card packs? No problem

Culdcept Central's guide to Gp Farming in Culdcept Revolt

Andyman and his crew over at CC got you covered man.
;)

On a side note I should read this myself because I need some more spells. Just got back to the battle of Tenet/Yuma/ Me and it was tight. Yuma got a bunch of squirrine leveled and since that card is a support card of 30 hp who happened to be getting due to land bonus and 3xtra 30 hp BEFORE even adding in support creature bonuses in battle things were not looking good for me taking out her power base for all her gold in open combat last game. She was actually just below goal but I used Drain magic on her at the beginning of my turn which put her down to 6700-ish and then at the end of my turn I changed a land that had Tenet cast quintessence on it ( turns land multicolor to screw over chain bonuses to toll values) back to its original. Once it was back I was at 8005 and two spaces from a gate. I manage to juuuuuuuuuuuust squeak through with a win there.

Dirty, but it worked. I need more magic bolt and attack spells though to weaken creatures prior to battles though. I dont like seeing leveled territory and feeling my deck has no tools to take it on easily. My scrolls wouldn't touch a support creature easily and my attackers didn't have the proper tools to potentially face a 110hp-ish squirrel in open combat. Think its maybe time to use me some paralysis and holy banishment bullshit to give me tools to either chip away safely at threats or remove them outright.

Really enjoying this so far. Done about four matches since the first match at the end of the tutorial chapter.

I was surprised at how easy the rules were to pick up - I was expecting something much more convoluted but the core (moving around the map, territory control over squares, monsters defending/attacking) is really straightforward. Which means more time for familiarising yourself with dozens of cards and such. I like that.

As mentioned earlier, the presentation is excellent, with slick menus and graphics and weighty battle animations. Some of the best 3D on the system as well, the interface is in full 3D which helps focus your eyes on individual screen elements, e.g. toll fees or HP or card info.

How's the online? Does it match you with players that have built a similar deck, or should I hold off trying it when I unlock it?

Aselith

So this is relatively easy to get into? I tried watching a youtube video, but I got intimidated once the cards with all the numbers and stats started flying around.

Yeah its not hard. You have a pretty small deck so youll learn what things do over time and really at any time you have maybe 7 choices at most. And the descriptions tell you what's up.

Yeah, the first chapter tells you everything you need to know about the core of the game, and there isn't actually that much.

The game also regularly inserts advice text next to cards which basically summarises what their stats amount to.

Regiruler

You'll probably like Quicksand in the Salvation pack.

Karkador

Banned
Hey everyone,

I just picked this game up last night. Never played a Culdcept, but I'm really into board games and such.

I played through the tutorial and just opened a couple of packs last night. So while I sit here at work thinking about the game I can't play, could you answer a few questions?

1) How much deeper does the game get as I go along? I take it you play on a variety of different board layouts, but how much do new cards change the game from here?

2) When monsters fight, which one gets the initiative? I know some monsters explicitly say "Attacks first" on the cards, but maybe I missed where it says whether attacker/defender goes first.

3) I didn't really note the math here, but how much do tolls increase from the Links you make in one color?

Hey everyone,

I just picked this game up last night. Never played a Culdcept, but I'm really into board games and such.

I played through the tutorial and just opened a couple of packs last night. So while I sit here at work thinking about the game I can't play, could you answer a few questions?

1) How much deeper does the game get as I go along? I take it you play on a variety of different board layouts, but how much do new cards change the game from here?

2) When monsters fight, which one gets the initiative? I know some monsters explicitly say "Attacks first" on the cards, but maybe I missed where it says whether attacker/defender goes first.

3) I didn't really note the math here, but how much do tolls increase from the Links you make in one color?

1) Pretty deep. There are real problem cards that cause huge issues for people, until they find the counters to that, until others find the counter to that, etc. I mean, vs. real people, not the AI so much. They can be easily duped, but sometimes you'll get really stuck and have to change up your deck.

2) Attacker always goes first. If both have first attack or last attack, attacker still goes first. Outside of that everything goes the way you would expect.

3) It's not necessarily an easy calculation. It's something like 16 48 128 384 1024, and then modified by having color chains. Just a few of the same color can be big multipliers, I think two to three of the same makes a 384 go to 500 to 720.

Regiruler

1) Pretty deep. There are real problem cards that cause huge issues for people, until they find the counters to that, until others find the counter to that, etc. I mean, vs. real people, not the AI so much. They can be easily duped, but sometimes you'll get really stuck and have to change up your deck.

2) Attacker always goes first. If both have first attack or last attack, attacker still goes first. Outside of that everything goes the way you would expect.

3) It's not necessarily an easy calculation. It's something like 16 48 128 384 1024, and then modified by having color chains. Just a few of the same color can be big multipliers, I think two to three of the same makes a 384 go to 500 to 720.
What's the current meta book to beat?

The community has always been fairly small, there's no optimal book or meta. People make gimmick decks that are really effective...the first time they are used. Then when people play that same person afterward they use a good counter, but then lose to a more ordinary deck that everybody stopped using a while ago. Or whatever.

As much as the deck matters the game is still very luck-based. You could have a deck with 30 creatures and end up unable to even get started taking lands for the first 6 turns and end up way behind, just due to like...starting with no creatures in your hand, starting with only creatures that have land requirements and can't be played outright, landing on only gates or switches or shops, etc.

Some people play with a deck that is nothing but spells, determined to troll whoever is in the lead at the time. They don't play to win, just to cause chaos. That is probably the most annoying deck you could make. :p

shaowebb

The community has always been fairly small, there's no optimal book or meta. People make gimmick decks that are really effective...the first time they are used. Then when people play that same person afterward they use a good counter, but then lose to a more ordinary deck that everybody stopped using a while ago. Or whatever.

As much as the deck matters the game is still very luck-based. You could have a deck with 30 creatures and end up unable to even get started taking lands for the first 6 turns and end up way behind, just due to like...starting with no creatures in your hand, starting with only creatures that have land requirements and can't be played outright, landing on only gates or switches or shops, etc.

Some people play with a deck that is nothing but spells, determined to troll whoever is in the lead at the time. They don't play to win, just to cause chaos. That is probably the most annoying deck you could make. :p

^ this. Culdcept aint like Hearthstone or Magic or any conventional deck biased card game where a certain deck is the optimum thing that trumps all. Different boards play better to different decks due to size, land types and the number of paths or whatever. Different decks have strengths and weaknesses to various spells, items, creatures or whatever. Plus no matter what you have it all comes down to how well you pace your finances in spending, saving and leveling as well as the placement of anything you have. And all of that strategy can be turned on its head quickly by failing to defend a single well built land or by having the dice turn on you.

Its a combination of how you play, where you play and what you play as well as who you play against and when/what they do. No real "Optimum deck" has ever existed in any version of Culdcept. There have always been good solid card combos to include in decks and their various counters. Thats about as far as "optimizing" ever got. Just a couple of decent blue chippers you might throw into a themed deck built around certain tactics just to round out its options.

Finally cleared the second chapter and unlocked online mode as well as even more new types of cards.

Is it worth building several decks now, or should I keep editing my existing decks based on how I feel about the cards? Right now I don't have a great sense of what cards to include based on which maps I play, though I am getting more knowledgeable about the pros and cons of including certain cards over other cards depending on the size of the map.

Regiruler

Finally cleared the second chapter and unlocked online mode as well as even more new types of cards.

Is it worth building several decks now, or should I keep editing my existing decks based on how I feel about the cards? Right now I don't have a great sense of what cards to include based on which maps I play, though I am getting more knowledgeable about the pros and cons of including certain cards over other cards depending on the size of the map.

Honestly, the majority of deck ideas scale decently to different maps, a notable exception being that toll-focused decks are hard in maps with a lot of movement options (such Quattro Box, which is unlocked at the end of the third chapter). Secret Art decks (which you can access starting with the third chapter) become better in maps with difficult to access areas where you can place the creatures to keep using their arts without fear of them getting easily destroyed, but you can generally balance them out with spells you get later (like Alarm, which is way after) in order to improve their potency to the point that you can have success on any map.

Starting with chapter 4, you get access to cards that open up less traditional deck ratios. For example, Sense of Wild is really powerful in a creature-heavy deck for, if you're lucky, getting you a free territory with something better than the skeleton spartoi gives you at no advantage cost. Boomerang lets you cut down on items if all you need is a mild power boost most of the time. There are cards introduced that work with very specific other cards, like Ogre Lord that basically gives you an incentive to build an ogre theme deck.

EDIT: As a tangent, fuck the dirty ass battering ram cockatrice combo that Hypna uses. I have to keep a squid mantle to help prevent stupid shit like that while not being useless against scrolls.

Regiruler

Dumb question: Is there a reason I shouldn't be selling cards when I get 5 of the same ones?

I don't think so. I don't think any of the rules allow more than 4.

Speaking of, if you didn't know one of the bottom options in the sell menu adds all excess copies of all cards. I've been doing that every other time I head to the store.

Palmer_v1

Still pretty bothered by my inability to see what the cards in other player's hands do. Seems like a weird advantage to give to people who just have everything memorized, since you can see the titles of the cards, but not specifics.

Still pretty bothered by my inability to see what the cards in other player's hands do. Seems like a weird advantage to give to people who just have everything memorized, since you can see the titles of the cards, but not specifics.

You'll get it over time. Often just knowing creature/weapon/armor/spell etc. is the most helpful thing, getting a general idea of what they're capable of.

When I started out I kept a card list up at all times and Ctrl+F'd it a lot, but now I feel like I sorta know most cards at this point. Well, many of them.

Regiruler

You'll get it over time. Often just knowing creature/weapon/armor/spell etc. is the most helpful thing, getting a general idea of what they're capable of.

When I started out I kept a card list up at all times and Ctrl+F'd it a lot, but now I feel like I sorta know most cards at this point. Well, many of them.
It's annoying as piss against an Earth deck because you have to remember what their ST and HP was as well due to support, not just what they generally do.

shaowebb

Just got Culdcepted hard. Took on Yuma/Zonx. Was way behind but used a penetrate creature to off the second most leveled thing on the board. Turned it into a horse race...was setup to move on my next turn to take out a goblin owned lvl 5 territory from someone without any armor to defend it and on that very turn the other opponent rolls a 12, lands on the most expensive thing on the board and fights it with spectre. Its an Amazon and the dude gets bodied PLUS he gets robbed as well as has to pay a 2000+ toll. Next turn Yuma is at goal thanks to this and hits a gate with a perfect roll.

Welp...time to go full troll and setup a kelpie next game. Last time I did that though I ran out of armor and couldn't swap it out before it could be killed though which hurt bad. That new territory ability only once per lap thing really impacts kelpie/old willow abuse now. Without a telegnosis recycling into your hand repeatedly you can't protect that spot by swapping out as easily anymore once youre out of armor.

EDIT: It worked. I waited till I was a bit over 6000 in a race vs Zonx who was over 7000 and swapped out my lvl blue ogre for a Kelpie right when I was next to the goal. Next turn Yuma hit it, lost 2300 and I ended up rolling a 10 to touch the gate and just squeak past. Finally got some cards after that win too to help things along. I've REALLY been needing some magic bolts and shatters.

Top Bottom