• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Gran Turismo Sport Limited Edition exclusiv at Aldi in Germany

Karu

ALDI and shittiest discounter? lmao no

My vote goes to NP.

Super weird @topic, but appreciate they will sell some games now. No shop in my town sells them.

Shiggy

ALDI and shittiest discounter? lmao no

My vote goes to NP.

Super weird @topic, but appreciate they will sell some games now. No shop in my town sells them.

What is NP?

Your thinking of Lidl.

It should have been a Pro however

That bundle is available at other retailers still:
51dYSevtsUL.jpg

Does Aldi Germany sell electronics in general, like televisons?

Here in the UK I love going to Aldi but they're often smaller stores that concentrate on food and drink. No cigs, they do some home/garden hardware and tools but no real electronics section. This is the success of Aldi here, small footprint and stick to food and drink.

Would be bizarre to have PS4 at Aldi here. You'd go to Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, the large grocery superstores that sell everything.

Does Aldi Germany sell electronics in general, like televisons?

It's been a long time since I lived in Germany, but I don't recall Aldi selling electronics specifically. They'll generally have a "Special Buy" type area with oddball products, but I don't recall ever seeing anything this unique and expensive.

It's been a long time since I lived in Germany, but I don't recall Aldi selling electronics specifically. They'll generally have a "Special Buy" type area with oddball products, but I don't recall ever seeing anything this unique and expensive.

Right, sounds like here in the UK. Random short term products like jet washers or angle grinders.

They have quite good meat. Aldi is better than Edeka in terms of meat quality where I live and their canned beans / corn / carrots / peas are better than the corresponding Gut & Günstig products as well. Also they are a good choice to buy onions (cheap and good quality).
Wait is aldi different in germany or something??? Here in the US Aldi is shit tier. their food is literally the generic version of name brand stuff and its nasty as hell

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wait is aldi different in germany or something??? Here in the US Aldi is shit tier. their food is literally the generic version of name brand stuff and its nasty as hell

The quality of their own brands vary, but the vegetables are also quit good, but this also varies regional.

Tbh, I dont think american food is mostly good quality, unless you go to store like Wholefoods. Food regulations are much better in europe.

KHlover

Banned

Aldi still sells Laptops, Smartphones, tablets and televisions. Of course not every week, but they NEVER did that.

7tKrQJD.png

This is what they'll sell alongside the PS4.

sasuke_91

ALDI always sold electronics. PCs, Notebooks, TVs. Back in 2010 they also sold a PS3 Uncharted 2 or 3 bundle if I remember correctly, so it's not the first time they did something like this.
Honestly, people here don't find it weird that ALDI sells a PS4 bundle.

And I don't even know what's so bad about ALDI. It's not considered bottom of the barrel in Germany.

c0de

Aldi of all places? Da fuck?

Bought a Medion PC there like over 15 years ago and it was trash.

Well, I bought on at Vobis and this was also trash - because computers were trash 15 years ago :) But you got a lot for the money back then with an "Aldi PC" - especially unwanted software that made the computer even slower than it actually was.

blubb

Neo Member
Aldi of all places? Da fuck?

Bought a Medion PC there like over 15 years ago and it was trash.

Aldi PCs weren't the best PCs you could buy, but the best prebuilt PCs for that price you could buy. At least it was so in the late 90s. They were never meant to be high tier PCs for enthusiasts but middle tier PCs for the masses. And I am pretty sure Aldi single-handedly doubled PC ownership in Germany at that time.
Maybe double is too optimistic but they at least significantly increased it.

I'm not surprised Aldi sells a PS4 bundle. I am surprised the bundle is sold exclusively by them though.

Maybe Nintendo should think about selling an aggressively priced Switch bundle through Aldi, when the Switch production starts meeting demand and they want to increase market share in Germany.
I would be legitimately shocked/surprised should something like this happen though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I have no idea how Aldi is in the US, but I gathered that Aldi typically is a small store in the UK, which is not the case in Germany. In fact, all Aldis I have ever been to were rather huge shops. And yes, most of their food outside of fresh meat and vegetables is a generic version of brand stuff - produced typically by the the same company that does the brand stuff. The quality varies. In many cases it is the exact same product with a different label, in other cases (e.g. their nasty Cola) it is a different product. The objective quality of their products is rather high though, they typically perform very well in product tests. In many if not most cases, if you want to buy cost-sensitive, Aldi is among the best options you can find, often even if you do not care about the price.

Pezking

What's going on with the Aldi shaming in here? It's a standard grocery store here in Germany. Not bottom of the barrel at all.

No, it's clearly a discounter market. With an ugly interior and horrible service.

It's definitely no Edeka, Rewe, Globus or Real.

I completely stopped shopping there since their crap isn't even that much cheaper anymore.

And I hate their current ad campaigns which clearly cater to the crowds who want back the supposedly "good old simpler times" who are sceptical of too much options and choices and pretty much progress in general. Ugh.

Dr.Phibes

Aldi is the lowest tier discounter with the smallest range of goods (in Germany). Only thing below that are Sonderpostenmärkte like Action or Krümet.

sasuke_91

Hey don't insult my first "high-power" PC! D:

Intel Pentium 4 1.8ghz
nVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 64mb
256mb SD RAM
80gb HDD
Windows XP Home Edition

I miss that old machine.

In 2001 right? I bought mine in 2000

Intel Pentium 3 1GHz
nVidia GeForce 2 32MB
128MB SD RAM