• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst 0/10 Completed Anime?

And Aldnoah Zero, especially because of this guy:

I'll admit, I enjoyed parts of season 1, and the ending to S1 was so interestingly dark that it got me pretty excited for a show to have the confidence to pull what it did, and I was super excited for the way they would pivot the series in season 2 after that.

And then they literally undo EVERYTHING remotely dark about the season 1 ending and everything goes back to normal with Slain just being even more unlikable.

rackham

Shadow Realm? That means you watched the 4kids version

I mean, let's be real YGO shows are not masterpieces, they're shows about cards

But there is a law in the YuGiOh fandom, no matter how awful a series manages to be, the English dub can make it million times worse.

My favorite YuGiOh series is 5D's, and I wouldn't recommend the dub to anyone. They literally skip arcs and Movie Maker the final Villains lair out of the Sky to avoid the more violent scenes.And every single line of dialogue is an awful pun.

The show is trash no matter what language it is. Shadow realm, hell doesn't matter. You got a kid with 10 colors in his hair talking about friendship with a girl he should be banging and playing children's card games.

Lol at all the people listing anime with objectively good qualities that should preclude them from this thread because they want to dazzle us with scorching hot takes.

But yeah I'd probably nominate any of the many uninspired children's card game anime series.

Charlotte is probably the worst anime I've seen that I've actually finished. I would have dropped it after the first couple episodes but my girlfriend insisted that it was actually great and that it gets better. Turns out she was actually thinking of a different show and I suffered through it for nothing.

Between Charlotte and Angel Beats I've learned to not bother with anything Key related besides Clannad. Clearly they lucked into something special with that one, even if it had some bullshit of its own.

Linkark07

Banned
Charlotte is probably the worst anime I've seen that I've actually finished. I would have dropped it after the first couple episodes but my girlfriend insisted that it was actually great and that it gets better. Turns out she was actually thinking of a different show and I suffered through it for nothing.

Between Charlotte and Angel Beats I've learned to not bother with anything Key related besides Clannad. Clearly they lucked into something special with that one, even if it had some bullshit of its own.

Anime wise, I agree. Little Busters and Rewrite are excellent visual novels, but their anime adaptations are from mediocre to awful.

At least the ending of the first season of Rewrite was so crazy and unexpected that it made me laugh hard.

Not anime but manga: Tenjou Tenge

Tenjho_Tenge_vol01.jpg

I felt personally insulted by the time I reached the end of this manga. It started out as an awesome high school brawler, and then about halfway through it began devolving into a ridiculously convoluted mess, and by the end the story was nearly incomprehensible. It was painfully obvious that the author had stopped giving a shit about this series, most likely because his manga Air Gear became more popular.

Too bad Air Gear suffered the exact same fate. It was enjoyable when it was just people battling each other with super skates, but some weird ass convoluted shit happened and I didn't feel like following that mess anymore.

woopWOOP

of the few I watched, Gundam Seed Destiny

I thought Seed was alright, which is the only reason I watched Destiny to its conclusion.

I'm still convinced they took someone's shitty fanfic and somehow morphed it into a 50 episode tv series. Shit was so bad I didn't feel like watching any other anime for the next three years after

Mokujin

Sometimes you keep watching because someone told you it gets really good or because it's a sequel to an anime you love, so you keep watching hoping it will get better

Oh, that reminds me:

1380310_English_ContinueWatchingMobile_2f4ee2e9-7457-e711-8175-020165574d09.jpg

-1i/10

This along this...

... ruined my faith in anime for a long, loooong time. Truth to be told I couldn't get past the 3rd episode in the later, such a blasphemy after possibly my favourite series ever (Last Exile).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
How fast are those breasts jiggling if they can pass in front of a bullet while it's between them?

The velocity at the tip of her nipples exceeded the speed of sound to the extent you could hear the sonic effects of them snapping at the air around them. The sequence later went on to win a Peabody award for its excellence in Science and Animation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kill La Kill may have had an uncalled for amount of fan service, and some highly questionable plot points, but as someone who's been into anime for 25 years I'd have to say it was pretty solid. The visual direction, the sound direction, the music, the fight direction, the dramatic use of typography. It all worked.

Just that pesky fan service layer on top that you have to get past.
the pesky fan service layer is baked into every part if the characters and plot, though. It's a show about scantily clad fighters and clothing trying to take over the world. The good guys are a militarized nudist colony. It's not a layer, it's the whole cake.

It's not entirely without merit as a series, but let's not act like the fan service is just a footnote.

And no, for all of you who think that sounds hilarious, it isn't actually that funny. The joke gets pretty old after a while.

jackal27

Banned
Sword Art Online.

Just... Absolutely nothing redeeming at all. I'm getting enraged just thinking about the time I wasted on that show.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tale, History's Stongest Disciple Kenichi, Dragon Ball Z...

Most Shounen are hot garbage and I don't understand why any grown person likes them. I can see how power fantasy appeals to young boys, but the characters are generally all one-dimensional and the drawn-out battles are equal parts boring and stupid.

Sword Art Online.

Just... Absolutely nothing redeeming at all. I'm getting enraged just thinking about the time I wasted on that show.

Why is it so bad? My friend keeps pestering me to watch it and I'd rather not waste the time if its awful.

robotuw

As far as shows that other people have actually heard of: OreImo and Mahouka are both actively poisonous shows that attempt to make the people that watch them worse. They are basically competent though, and they had an influence on the industry even if it was entirely negative.

My real answer that I watched all of is a horrid little show called Green Green. Just the most generic, incompetent, forgettable, harem garbage. I was young and desperate for more stuff like Love Hina.

Blade of the Immortal (2008) gives Berserk (2016) a run for the shot at anime most disrespecting and completely out of quality with it's source material. Garbage adaption of one the best Manga I've ever read.

I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to see an example of this for laughs.

Sadly, this was before "funny-bad" digital 3d. Blade of the Immortal 2008 is just a very cheaply made 2000s style anime with a lot of reused music and footage, very low frame rates in most action scenes, voice acting so poor i can tell even though i don't speak Japanese, and a lot of very dark framing of many scenes to hide the above issues.

Why is it so bad? My friend keeps pestering me to watch it and I'd rather not waste the time if its awful.

One part interesting concept with which to be ultimately disappointed, one part writers who've never played an mmo before, one part ripping the balls off the female protagonist, and mix in a gross amount of pointless harem...

It's a series made for guys who struggle with talking with real girls.

blakep267

I'd like to onsay SAO but honestly those first 4-5 episodes were some of the best and most interesting is ever seen. Then it evolved into Kirito and Asuna show

Lost Village I couldn't finish, I just wanted a good comedy like Another and then it keeps teasing until you realize absolutely nothing is going to happen, so frustrating.

Danganronpa 3 for doing the miraculous and retroactively making the climax of DR2 lose its weight.

Sword Art Online.

Hexa

Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tale, History's Stongest Disciple Kenichi, Dragon Ball Z...

Most Shounen are hot garbage and I don't understand why any grown person likes them. I can see how power fantasy appeals to young boys, but the characters are generally all one-dimensional and the drawn-out battles are equal parts boring and stupid.

Based on the shows you've listed as terrible, you probably won't like it. It has the stuff you listed as stuff you hate about shounen, minus the drawn out battles.

I can pretty much guarantee you that everyone that considers FMA:B trash watched the 2003 anime first. The 2003 anime has tons of pointless filler, lots of weird/completely trash characterizations, an absolutely batshit ending, a waste of Hohenheim as a character, and so on. It does some things right, like its great tone (for the most part), its soundtrack (though I prefer Brotherhood's myself), and it's great explorations of the homunculi (I really enjoyed the "homunculi were human in the past" plot point). But Brotherhood is top fucking class shonen, and anime in general. Other anime do things better without a doubt, but I've been able to show Brotherhood to all sorts of non anime fans, and every single one has loved it. It's approachable, fast paced, and fun as hell. You can like your more moody version all you want, but I'll take a more upbeat (and also faithful) adaptation that accomplishes exactly what it set out to do over a darker one that flounders completely in the last third (and especially that movie, jesus christ what a shitshow) any day.

On topic though, Evangelion Q/3.0. A movie so fucking awful it more or less killed my love of Evangelion. There basically is no plot, it's a just a bunch of scenes and nonsensical character interactions strung together with periodic and obligatory big and crazy action scenes with no narrative weight and way too much 3DCG. It basically sold itself on "Kaworu and Shinji fanservice the movie" and somehow people ate it right up. It shits all over Kaworu's character too, but tons of fans don't give a shit just because of some amped up homoeroticism.

And I've seen all sorts of "well see Anno was just subverting your expectations after 2.0 was a more straightforward action movie!" No, he subverted my expectations by making a shit movie. I can handle subversions, otherwise I wouldn't like Eva in the first place. But 2.0 was a competently made film that offered a tantalizing chance at a brand new take on Evangelion with its ending, even if it had to take some hits in character development of the side cast to get there.

3.0 has no development of anybody whatsoever, no world building besides "shit's fucked and I'm gonna be real vague about everything", crappy, pointless action scenes with stupid shit like Unit-02's cat form, the pilots conspicuously staying 13 years old because of totally not brand recognition (and creepy Japanese obsession with youth), every single character being a dick to Shinji for no reason ("an emotional 13 year old made a decision that I cheered him on to do? well fuck him he sucks and I'm gonna keep in the dark because reasons"), and so on. Nothing fucking happens in this shit movie, it's just flash that doesn't even succeed. At the end of the day we don't know shit about NERV, Wille, the world at large, what is anyone fighting for, why was Kaworu even here and what was he all cryptic and shit about. What was the goddamn point?

God. Fuck this movie.

The only redeeming characteristic is Shiro Sagisu's soundtrack, but in my opinion it's not even close to as good as 2.0's soundtrack. There's more music, but it's all overly bombastic and a lot of it screams pretentious. Which fits the movie I guess.

Alright idk if any animes I've seen can count as a 0/10

Even as much as I hate sword art online the Christmas episode is the one good takeaway from that show.

Even with guilty crown it had some good looking art style, music and some fights in there.

Sure the ones with super fan service I've gotten sick of but even with shows like high school of the dead and kill la kill it does have it moments.

Though that eureka 7 other anime people have been talking about... Just from reading it made me hate everything.

John Blade

... ruined my faith in anime for a long, loooong time. Truth to be told I couldn't get past the 3rd episode in the later, such a blasphemy after possibly my favourite series ever (Last Exile).

Know how it feel. In a way, it kinda try to follow the same formula from the original series but it just make it worst mostly how the new characters you're following with (not too interesting but more annoying). Also, founding out the MC from the original series can't fly anymore piss me off even more than it should.

Big One

Banned
I never understood what was the big reveal that the "other side" is actually the real world in the 2003 anime. Like how is that relevant to anyway whatsoever to the plot other than it just being somewhat surprising? It's one of the most random and boring twists ever, and it was never set up or foreshadowed either.

Bleach...I watched almost every episode and I regret it...I want all that wasted time back...give it back so I can make better use of it...

KazenY2J

I could only drag myself through one episode of Hand Shakers, because every element of the production is a visual tire fire that clearly took a ton of effort to create. The 2D art, the CG backgrounds, and the CG effects look like they're from three different shows, with a garish color filter slapped on top.

Just mind-boggling.
GoHands is the wooorst.

Here's my top 4 of anime with basically no redeeming qualities, from the worst to least worst

Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Guilty Crown
Sword Art Online

Dragonaut: The Resonance.

-100/10

Funny how so many people are posting SAO or Oreimo (both I really like), and yet this barely gets mentioned. Fuck me is this the worst fucking show. Nothing makes sense, nothing is explained and nothing fucking happens.

Tokko is close to 0/10 only because of the extremely insulting ending.

Jisgsaw

Well, my pick Mahouka was finally mentioned a page before. Well, it's maybe a 1/10, it's at least nice to look at.

Too bad Air Gear suffered the exact same fate. It was enjoyable when it was just people battling each other with super skates, but some weird ass convoluted shit happened and I didn't feel like following that mess anymore.

Same, I noped out after fourti-ish chapters.
When it ended I went read the last couple chapters... I don't even want to know how it went from air skating to... whatever the hell was happening...

Oceanwind

Neo Member
Diabolik Lovers. It's just a girl getting abused by a bunch of guys for 12 episodes. They are all vampires, so they suck her blood while she begs them to stop and call her "Pancake" (because she's flat chested) and "Little Bitch". Really have no idea why anyone would find this sexy, but I guess they did because it got a second season.

Hexa

Here's my top 4 of anime with basically no redeeming qualities, from the worst to least worst

Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Guilty Crown
Sword Art Online

Are there any other animes you hate? It seems we have opposite tastes since I like all of those a good amount so I'll probably end up liking them too.

Top Bottom