• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi-American Sells House, Deposits Check at Bank, Gets Arrested

Syriel

Sattar Ali is questioning his family's return move to Wichita following an attempt to deposit a check at his bank which landed him, his wife and daughter in police custody.

The check was for just over $151,000. "And I told them I don't need it until I find a house. So keep the check with you, verify, take your time." "Simply we were just going there to deposit a check. We were not asking for money."

But he said his experience started to go down hill. Ali said, "And I was talking to them for less than five minutes and I found the police behind me, handcuffed me, confiscated everything and took me outside."

His wife Hadil and their 15-year-old daughter Hawra were waiting in the car outside the bank. Police take them into custody also and take all three downtown to police headquarters for questioning. And while holding the family for nearly three hours, police called the private school the Ali's 11-year-old son attends in Andover, telling the school to hold their son because the family was in police custody.

Emprise Bank issued the following statement:

".. We are aware of a situation at the 21st and Woodlawn branch yesterday and can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions."

Source:
http://www.kake.com/story/36316591/wichita-family-arrested-making-bank-deposit

Guy does perfectly normal thing. He is an American citizen. His family is American citizens. But, they're also ethnically Persian. So bank immediately calls the cops because it "must" be a forgery.

Never mind that they had all his information. Never mind that the source of funds was easily verifiable. Never mind that he wasn't even trying to cash out a single cent (since he figured there would be a hold on a check that big).

RS4-

can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions."

right.

Fuck off.

kirblar

Reason #2342356239 people are moving out of these states.

I suspect he's not going to have a problem finding a school to transfer to w/ the publicity here.

Condom

No way this isn't racism. The thought of them doing this to a non-hobo looking white person makes me laugh because no way would that happen.

VeeP

Lol the bank didn't even apologize. They literally said if the same thing happened today we would do it again. The dude told you to take your time to verify the check but instead you call the cops asap?

Sad story. Though that family does look sketchy particularly that 18 year old...

That bank statement is just something, just disgusting. But the police should have done a better job of sussing out the facts. Wichita and Kansas what can you say really.

Edit: the above regarding the looks of the family is sarcasm. I forget both how literal things can be taken online as well how prone some are to trashing accounts to not be sarcastic and say thugs as above. I viewed the use of ellipse to satisfactorily convey sarcasm, but I was obviously mistaken on that account, my apologies.

".. We are aware of a situation at the 21st and Woodlawn branch yesterday and can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions."

If so, that's a shitty policy. Verify the check, you don't just call the cops with 0 evidence of wrongdoing.

Oh, forgot minorities aren't allowed to have checks for large sums.

Lol the bank didn't even apologize. They literally said if the same thing happened today we would do it again. The dude told you to take your time to verify the check but instead you call the cops asap?

I know, right? What a massive PR fuckup.

Geist-

I hope he gets a huge check for his troubles from these racist fucks, but I'm afraid he might just end up in the same situation when he tries to cash it.

Gadamn what.

Theyre brown like me too, thought Id be white enough to visit the states and go along my day fine. guess my grandma was right that I probably shouldnt goto an airport with my shaved head

Realyst

The bank’s statement is BS. There’s no federal law that states you have to hold or arrest the person if you suspect the illegal transfer of funds, especially for deposits. You only have to report the transfer, and inform the customer that the funds will be held until everything’s verified.

MarionCB

And the bank damn well doubled down on it! Just wow. I'm not American, so please tell he will be able to sue both the bank and the local police force for such outrageous discrimination and win.

Enzom21

DJnbfpEVAAATVdK.jpg:large

Not buying it.
The bank is trash for calling and of course the cops are trash as usual.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The bank’s statement is BS. There’s no federal law that states you have to hold or arrest the person if you suspect the illegal transfer of funds, especially for deposits. You only have to report the transfer, and inform the customer that the funds will be held until everything’s verified.

This.

Bank would just place a hold until things are verified.

Total BS and the Bank tried to wait it out hoping they wouldn't have to say shit.

Fuck them.

snap

Banned
This is the type of thing that would get a response from Obama, where Sattar Ali would be able to meet with the president at the White House as he makes some comments about the state of race in America.

With Trump we're either gonna get nothing or Trump tweeting out that Mr. Ali should have never been relesed because something something terrorism.

Because they're racists and believe that their racism is justified.

slit

Sad story. Though that family does look sketchy particularly that 18 year old...

That bank statement is just something, just disgusting. But the police should have done a better job of sussing out the facts. Wichita and Kansas what can you say really.

This post is too funny. It simultaneously calls the actions disgusting while enforcing the stereotype of why the action took place to begin with. I hope that was the point. It was right?

Aselith

So, you're saying your bank operates under racist policies and procedures?

bold strategy.jpeg

Plum

I can only assume that the employee handbook has a section that looks just like this:

Question 1) Is the customer depositing a high-value cheque?
IF NO: Deposit cheque
IF YES: Go to Question 2

Question 2) Is the customer black or brown?
IF NO: Go through the regular verification procedure
IF YES: Call the police

Malreyn

Fuck that bank....everyone that uses that bank should close their accounts and move it to another bank in protest.

gcubed

The only way they would get 15 cop cars would be if the bank said they had a terrorist trying to cash a check.

There is no way to talk your way out of it as the bank. Blaming the cops is slimy... But it is Kansas. Bank probably may a calculated PR play

What the fuck

What the fuck?

Did you forget a /s? What looks sketchy about this family?

This post is too funny. It simultaneously calls the actions disgusting while enforcing the stereotype of why the action took place to begin with. I hope that was the point. It was right?

Post a picture of yourself why don’t ya? Let’s all discuss and judge your appearance.

Did you folks not look at the picture in the link, this is an incredibly bland non threatening looking family right down to the bookish kid with glasses, that I needed an /s to denote sarcasm is depressing. What do you think my use of ... meant anyway. Good gravy.

You are a despicable human being.

Ok

Top Bottom