• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Great work fellas.

The Citadel Paint App is out on the Android store. Actually pretty handy, especially the paint inventory tracker. I'm going to finish filling it out later but this should finally end my habit of buying doubles or colors I didn't need right away but forgetting the one I needed immediately. It's all Citadel colors obviously but there are plenty of color charts out there for comparing Vallejo and others.

Thanks for the reminder. You get entered in paint give away contest when you DL the app.

XShagrath

Would be nice if that app was out on iOS as well.

I don't use a lot of the Citadel paints, but I do like their shades/washes quite a bit.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Looks like it isn't supposed to release until tomorrow, and will be out on iOS and Android.

Faiz

Would be nice if that app was out on iOS as well.

I don't use a lot of the Citadel paints, but I do like their shades/washes quite a bit.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Looks like it isn't supposed to release until tomorrow, and will be out on iOS and Android.

It is, I downloaded to my iphone hours ago, though it was a little difficult to find.

Edit: direct link to the app on US iOS AppStore
Citadel Paint: The App by Games Workshop
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citadel-paint-the-app/id1238189867?mt=8

Faiz

How do you enter to get the prize? I downloaded it on Android but nothing popped up for me, just shows the options about painting lol

You are taking part by just downloading. Nothing else is needed, and they are giving away multiple sets during the week!

I've seen it suggested, but not officially stated, that you will be notified through push notification. So if that's the case, you would need to have push on.

I would hope not, though. Without an internal messaging system in the app it would be too easily lost. I'm hoping they use the e-mail addresses associated with downloads to send notifications.

If anyone has seen an official statement on the subject I'd love to see it too.

I've seen it suggested, but not officially stated, that you will be notified through push notification. So if that's the case, you would need to have push on.

I would hope not, though. Without an internal messaging system in the app it would be too easily lost. I'm hoping they use the e-mail addresses associated with downloads to send notifications.

If anyone has seen an official statement on the subject I'd love to see it too.

Thanks for the heads up. The first thing I did was turn off push notifications because why the hell does a paint app need push notifications.

Faiz

Thanks for the heads up. The first thing I did was turn off push notifications because why the hell does a paint app need push notifications.

Yep, same here. Turned them back on as soon as I saw it come up in a FB group. I'll keep it on for the week of the giveaway to be on the safe side.

STv7wDm.jpg

Even more skinner Fatties and Abomination completed. Tonight's goal is the last 3 fatties and the first 3 of 15 crawlers.

Faiz

Ok regarding the app and paint give away from GW. Just found the announcement email in my spam folder and it says

Winners will be notified in app so make sure your notifications are turned on.

So there we go. Definitely notifications. Kinda dumb but oh well.

Damn that purple looks good.

Thank army painter alien purple for that! I can't recommend it enough. I was super impressed with the coverage. The purple skinners take an extra 2 steps more than my black&white regular zombies, but due to the purple undercoat I can actually paint them faster.

Purple base
Lighter purple drybrsh on everything lighter
3 parts white to the lighter purple for the skin
Citadel purple wash on the darkest parts
Then its just gray on the base and edges in black

I can do 3 in 30 minutes give or take, so they're quite fast too.

I am super excited by how well this is all turning out. I had a grand vision over a year ago when I bought everything, wrote out a master plan, divided everything up, and painted each part in bulk. I've hit some bumps allong the way, such as the VIPs which were not a part of my original plan and I had to figure out how to paint them to stand out yet fit in, but it has been a great experience. Each zombie type is easy to immediately identify for gameplay purposes, which was my main goal.

I will ask the experts.

How is that Robotech miniatures game?
I local store has it for very cheap (around a 1/3rd of what I've seen online) and I loved Robotech as a kid.

Is the game fast paced? are the minis cool?

I will ask the experts.

How is that Robotech miniatures game?
I local store has it for very cheap (around a 1/3rd of what I've seen online) and I loved Robotech as a kid.

Is the game fast paced? are the minis cool?

The minis look great, but they are a huge pain in the ass to put together. They made the molds oddly and split each mini into too many pieces, like for example an arm is like 8 pieces. They are well detailed and all, but they really made them way to complex.

The game is fast paced.... it's nothing special. A revision is in the works as they are trying to relaunch the game in the near future. The kickstarter is still not filled and about half the merch promised to people is not even in production yet, so there is alot of drama behind it.

As a boxed game, it's not bad for the price, you get a bunch of minis out of it that look good, and an ok game, but I wouldn't invest much into it.

I did over $300 in that kickstarter and yea.... waiting on more stuff.

The minis look great, but they are a huge pain in the ass to put together. They made the molds oddly and split each mini into too many pieces, like for example an arm is like 8 pieces. They are well detailed and all, but they really made them way to complex.

The game is fast paced.... it's nothing special. A revision is in the works as they are trying to relaunch the game in the near future. The kickstarter is still not filled and about half the merch promised to people is not even in production yet, so there is alot of drama behind it.

As a boxed game, it's not bad for the price, you get a bunch of minis out of it that look good, and an ok game, but I wouldn't invest much into it.

I did over $300 in that kickstarter and yea.... waiting on more stuff.

Thanks my fellow monkey.

I think I should wait for the results of that kickstarter.

Faiz

Re: Robotech, if interested at all get it while you can as it seems Harmony Gold's grip on Macross outside of Japan may finally be coming to an end in 2021.

C09VgFM.jpg

I didn't get my 3 finished last night, but I did get all 12 of the remaining crawlers completed tonight.

Next up are the skinner runners. There are16 of those total. If I get those done between now and Sunday I'll be ahead of the game plan.

XShagrath

Great work on those guys. I really like the monochromatic look of them.

I've slowly been chipping away at my Mansions of Madness stuff. I'm currently working through all the player investigators, and trying to get through at least 3-4 a week. Once I get back to the monsters, they'll go a little bit quicker, since I'll be able to assembly line some of them.

Great work on those guys. I really like the monochromatic look of them.

I've slowly been chipping away at my Mansions of Madness stuff. I'm currently working through all the player investigators, and trying to get through at least 3-4 a week. Once I get back to the monsters, they'll go a little bit quicker, since I'll be able to assembly line some of them.

MoM is on my list to paint at some point. I would love to see your work so far.

XShagrath

MoM is on my list to paint at some point. I would love to see your work so far.

The bases are ugly, since I'm going to re-base them on clear acrylic when I'm done with everyone (who the hell knows when that'll be). I started an Instagram page when I started on the investigators last month. I have a couple monsters painted, but no pictures yet.

https://www.instagram.com/xshagrath/

Each individual post has pictures from front and back.

The bases are ugly, since I'm going to re-base them on clear acrylic when I'm done with everyone (who the hell knows when that'll be). I started an Instagram page when I started on the investigators last month. I have a couple monsters painted, but no pictures yet.

https://www.instagram.com/xshagrath/

Each individual post has pictures from front and back.

Those are super good. You brought out a lot of the detail on those. The miniature quality for the game varies, but you made all these into real show pieces.

Do you play the card game? I see people use the minis for that too, just to add more character. People like to see that physical representation.

XShagrath

Those are super good. You brought out a lot of the detail on those. The miniature quality for the game varies, but you made all these into real show pieces.

Do you play the card game? I see people use the minis for that too, just to add more character. People like to see that physical representation.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm at a level now where I'm mostly happy with my work. I had all of these guys painted already, and I stripped them (as well as all the monsters I had painted) and started over. There are still a few that I want to re-do already. The magician, for example. Highlighting black is hard!

I do play the card game, and really enjoy it. It's definitely my favorite Arkham Files game, and the narrative crafted is excellent. I use the minis for that, but have to substitute some figures, as MoM doesn't have all of the characters from the card game (yet). I've looked at the FFG pre-painted ones to try to fill in the gaps, but am not sure how easy it would be to strip and re-paint them. The job they have on them at purchase is abysmal.

Here's an example of some I painted last year (that have since been stripped). I didn't really know how to do effective highlighting at that point (still not the best), and just did really slathered washes, because that was "easy mode."

BxBATyGl.jpg

Good news! Wayland Games/Warcradle Studios has bought up a bunch of Spartan Games stuff, looks like they have a lot planned:
We have some great news from Warcradle Studios!

We are proud to announce that we have acquired all rights and materials relating to the Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas settings.

Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, Armoured Clash, Firestorm Armada, Firestorm Planetfall and Uncharted Seas were created by the team at Spartan Games and we are excited to now be able to explore these settings further. We will also be developing and expanding on a large number of exciting scenic products to support these ranges.

We are actively working to bring the games to a wide audience from next year. Through Warcradle Studios, Wayland Games will be investing in all aspects of the design, development and supply of these worlds.

We are committed to producing an exciting range of new plastic and resin miniatures to support the growth of our games. These will build on the established releases as well as introduce new narrative and competitive gaming opportunities.

We are planning in-store organised play support for our games as well as a range of exciting events planned throughout 2018 and beyond.

Look out for our announcements of new products and show attendance in the coming weeks!

Question for wargaming GAF.

I've got more terrain to build and was trying to decide which way to go forward. What do you guys think about bases for buildings?

As much as I like the added stability and the chance to add bits of rubble around ruins when they have a base I've never been a fan of them myself. I couldn't even give a coherent reason for why, either. I guess I just don't like the way they look.

Leunam

Looks great. Great red highlights, love the end product.

As much as I like the added stability and the chance to add bits of rubble around ruins when they have a base I've never been a fan of them myself. I couldn't even give a coherent reason for why, either. I guess I just don't like the way they look.

I think I may go without basing. I figure if I use the building on a city tile or desert tile it would blend in nice and seamlessly. My initial thought was using the bases to make it look like a city block but there's other ways to get that effect.

Just browsed through the rules for Inquisitor to potentially run Inquisitor 28. Man, talk about in depth, I had forgotten it's basically a tabletop RPG mixed with skirmish level wargaming. The fact that you need a GM says a lot about what to expect.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Basing for buildings is mechanically useful, because it makes it easy to demonstrate whether a model is within the terrain, but limits the use. If like me you have a few battle mats, it can look out of place if the terrain is based in a theme unlike the mat.

Inquisitor was a great game for the narrative and the models, but it was too granular in its mechanics. Plus the game really needed lots of terrain, which was basically not realistic for most due to the 54mm scale. Inq28 solves the latter problem, but I'd rather just play 40k regular rules with individual models.

Leunam

I considered both points, area terrain and battle mats. I'm going to go without basing precisely because of the battle mat reasoning. Most of my buildings are going to be be dilapidated with vegetation which would fit in multiple environments (except frigid/arctic) so having no bases would make them stand out nicely and not look out of place.

I brought up Inquisitor 28 because I've been looking for a set of rules that some friends and I can play that would also allow for the greatest variety in units within warbands but also not necessarily restricted by army. I kind of want to replicate the variety seen in the Pilgrym game/story that John Blanche was involved in. I've looked at Necromunda, Necromunda Community Edition, Shadow War: Armageddon, and I'm even thinking about using Infinity or Genesys Project as a rule set. Different game, but using Warhammer miniatures for practical reasons.

Infinity looks to be the most promising because not only are the rules fantastic but you can field anything from lightly armored grunts (analogous to Guardsmen), power armored shock troops (Space Marines), drop troops (Assault Marines), mecha of sorts (Tau battle suits), or ninjas (Reivers maybe, Sicarian Infiltrators) in the same list. I guess that could make things overly complicated so we may do a couple games of SW:A just to get everyone's feet wet when it comes to mini wargaming.

6jrlig6.jpg

All my Zombicide figs that I have painted so far. I'm going to need 1 more display or an entirely different solution.

Lots to go. I want to finish all the skinner zombies by the end of the month (the purple ones, 65 to go).

Nazo

Painted up a Orruk Mega boss. Really happy with how he came out. Orcs are always so much fun to paint.

Sorry if the pic's not great, tried to edit the light levels and saturation with my phone but it didn't seem to work out that great.

Ohnonono

Finally making some decisions regarding the Primaris stuff that came with the DI box. I have a box of Grey Knight Strike guys (not the terminators) that is not getting used. I may try to kit bash some of the grey night heads and shoulders and whatever odds and ends make sense and make a Imperial Fists successor. Yellow armor with black trim and some of the more inquisitorial stuff off of the grey knights. Fun times! Obviously NOT using Grey Knight rules. Just regular marine rules.

Leunam

Trying to create my own battle automata for a campaign my friends and I are starting.

Unpainted it just looks like a marine with a shoulder pad on his head. Thinking maybe I need to add more cables and some bits from Ad Mech kits.

Ohnonono

Trying to create my own battle automata for a campaign my friends and I are starting.

Unpainted it just looks like a marine with a shoulder pad on his head. Thinking maybe I need to add more cables and some bits from Ad Mech kits.

It would take you time, but you could also either hand paint the "face" a reflective non metallic/ or add some paint chips to it. Also could add some rust to the faceplate area. I really like it though. Sweet idea.

Leunam

I like the idea. I was initially going to dry brush it a dark red but I may go with a bone color since chipping and rust would look more prominent on it. I have two more left to build and I'm hoping when it comes to painting I can replicate the Blanchitsu style.

Leunam

My friend brings that up whenever I mention the Star Wars game. I know which theme he prefers for sure.

I don't think I'll jump in on it yet but the minis look good at least. Kind of odd that there are resin miniatures too. Are they not the same sculpts or how does that work?

Ohnonono

I like the idea. I was initially going to dry brush it a dark red but I may go with a bone color since chipping and rust would look more prominent on it. I have two more left to build and I'm hoping when it comes to painting I can replicate the Blanchitsu style.

That is totally looking like a model that deserves that paint style. be sure to post when you make progress/finish it up. I really like the conversion.

My friend brings that up whenever I mention the Star Wars game. I know which theme he prefers for sure.

I don't think I'll jump in on it yet but the minis look good at least. Kind of odd that there are resin miniatures too. Are they not the same sculpts or how does that work?

From what I understood its same sculpts but the resin will be multi part kits instead of already built pvc

Top Bottom