• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What platform/platforms have y'all played The Evil Within on?

Physical and digital for PS4, Xbox 1 and digital for PC. I bought the game a total of 9 times and gave the other copies to friends with the understanding to pass it on. I played and beat it on the PS4 first but prefer the PC version. People complain avput the game a lot but I absolutely love the art direction and ideas. It is not a perfect game but the complaints about the controls are overblown.

With the patches all versions seem to be a lot better than at release.

Keinning

i have it on X1 since forever... never played past the prologue the several times i tried
dunno, it just never clicks with me.

i remember some weird bugs even with such a short playing time though, like walking through people during the intro and swinging myself to the roof and getting stuck there when you need to cut yourself free

UrbanRats

To the above replies, cool!

Nice that your PC experience was great overall!

Where can I get the FOV mod from? A link would be appreciated
https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
This is the one i used, it has profiles for various games, once you install it, select Evil Within and should download all the needed stuff automatically, then you can modify the options to your liking.
I cranked the FOV as much as it would go, and it looked like a normal game, lol.
Just remember to turn it on and leave it open before you start the game, each time.

Yea, the M&K config ain't too shabby I feel, it has some advantages like your example w/ mouse being able to be used for easier headshots and such.
You can even go hybrid, that's actually what i did in those sections, i used the left hand to move with the game pad, and the right hand to shoot, with the mouse.

haven't played it yet but hoping for a sale when the sequel drops to hop in. will play on PC
It's less than 6€ on CDKeys right now.

antitrop

I played through the PS4 version at launch and wasn't overly bothered by the technical performance. Then I bought the PC version on a Steam Sale later on to take 4K screenshots of it.

GavinUK86

I played it on PC. 1080p and 30fps for a third or so of it, until someone found out how to uncap the framerate, then played the rest at a somewhat steady 60fps. By the time I got around to finishing it someone figured out how to remove the black bars too. So I had quite a varied experience with it to say the least. Enjoyed 90% of it. TEW2 look a lot better.

PC, 1080p, 60fps, no black bars, gamepad. Really really enjoyed it. Tried playing it at a friends house on Xbox 1- really really was a shock to the system how different it felt. On a technical level the ports were...interesting- but the atmosphere was great. The gameplay really shines at a fluid framerate and is still pretty good at the 15-30fps level.

If this sequel nails everything else, I'm in.

HiiiLife

I don't think I've seen a more divisive game this gen on gaf. Still haven't tried it yet but part 2 interests me so I might pick this up for the cheap.

I played The Evil Within on PC with the Flawless Widescreen fix. The game is unplayable without it. The default FOV is too narrow, very uncomfortable IMO.

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
This is the one i used, it has profiles for various games, once you install it, select Evil Within and should download all the needed stuff automatically, then you can modify the options to your liking.
I cranked the FOV as much as it would go, and it looked like a normal game, lol.
Just remember to turn it on and leave it open before you start the game, each time.

You can even go hybrid, that's actually what i did in those sections, i used the left hand to move with the game pad, and the right hand to shoot, with the mouse.

Thanks for linking me to the download for it! I appreciate it XD

That bit how according to you, it now looked like a "normal game" after using that mod is your opinion...one that I disagree with! Evil Within already, w/o any mods, looks like a normal game to me :p

Re: going hybrid

Wow, didn't know it's one of the few-ish games that can let you do that! Perhaps I'll either tweak my existing Steam controller config or create a whole different one to assign the right touchpad and/or gyro to actually input mouse controls 1:1, not the current way I have it, which I believe is mouse-like joystick...hmmm....

I played it on PC. 1080p and 30fps for a third or so of it, until someone found out how to uncap the framerate, then played the rest at a somewhat steady 60fps. By the time I got around to finishing it someone figured out how to remove the black bars too. So I had quite a varied experience with it to say the least. Enjoyed 90% of it. TEW2 look a lot better.

Haha, glad you had what you consider a varied experience haha!

Re: you thinking TEW2 looks alot better

Hmmm...still deciding myself if I like TEW2's look so far over TEW1's...I like some things about TEW2's new look and don't like some things about it so far

I don't think I've seen a more divisive game this gen on gaf. Still haven't tried it yet but part 2 interests me so I might pick this up for the cheap.

To my surprise, many of the repliers of this thread seemed to like it alot or were indifferent to it...I've read up on maybe two-three-ish straight-up haters of the game in this thread so far...I expected alot of bickering and arguing amongst the folks on GAF who replied in this thread since in prev. GAF threads I've read on here, like you mentioned in your reply I'm currently replying to, there was alot of divisiveness in those threads as well.

To the rest of the repliers I didn't quote in this reply...I thank y'all for sharing your platform/platforms you played/play TEW1 on!

PC.

Bought it a few months after release for around $15 or so.

At the time had an AMD HD7770 and it ran at 1080p with the letterbox at 30 fps just fine. However about halfway through playing it my motherboard's main pci-e slot broke (unrelated to the game as far as i know, lol) and I had to use the second one which was only x2 or x4. Then I had to drop the resolution down to 720p I think. (ive since gotten new motherboard, and videocard)

Still beat the game though, liked it more than I thought I would, although I never played the DLC.

I would note on 30 fps I don't think its very playable with a mouse, but gamepad works well.

As a RE4-life fan i couldn't be nore excited for the game before launch so i borrowed my cousin's PS4 and bought the game at launch.

I had ~a week to enjoy what i expected to be the best game ever i was so hyped.

Then it started.

-Bad framerate
-Low resolution iq and textures
-Aspect ratio was absolutely disgusting.

i finished the game and those 3 things above erased all the good moments the gane had to me.

After that my cousin didn't play it so i sold the game for 20€ 2 week later.

I never get to play it again but i want to someday if the problems are completely fixed

Josman

PC, played it with a 1050ti at high settings, 1080p 60fps (great budget card) and with Steam I programmed my DS4 to use the Gyro sensor to aim, it's amazingly stupid that gyro isn't an option in every third person shooter game, made the game incredibly better. I would not be able to play it on consoles even if I tried.

Thanks recent posters for continuing to share which platform/platforms y'all played TEW on! Also for sharing certain additional details as well re: your experiences w/ TEW and such!

Hopeford

I just searched up what a contrarian is, and I feel I tend to be that way alot of the time, for better or worse

Do those third party tools still work with the latest, fully-patched up version of the game as of now on PC? If so...I'd like it if you can link to them or something. I'd like to experiment with the FOV myself!

Didn't notice much stability issues for me personally, even when I got PC ver. at launch.

Glad you were able to get into this horror game and consider yourself a big fan of it! Funny how you feel like it's less horror and more action...that's what I'd use to describe RE4. This game made a conscious push I feel to have a better balance between action and (survival) horror.

I think they do still work! I'm just not sure which tools I used...I think the one I used was WSGF, if I recall correctly. It worked really well with the FOV and made me appreciate the game a lot more.

Yeah, I'm glad I got to enjoy this game too - looking forward to the sequel now!

Laptop with integrated graphics. (i7 4702MQ with HD4600) Ran it at 800 pixels wide at launch, at 30FPS. At such a low res there were some graphical bugs, but was mostly fine. Enjoyed it very much.

With my newer laptop it could run fine, but I haven't played it yet.

Top Bottom