• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo suspiciously dont have a Black Friday week game announced for Switch

Shiggy

With Mario Odyssey coming Oct 27th, that leaves Nov 17th week before Black Friday open.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon does come out that day on 3DS but Nintendo still almost every year have one game on that week for both there major systems, and Mario is coming out almost a month before then.

So that leaves Xenoblade 2, which I think will come Dec like XCX since its not a big Black Friday type game

Or theory 1 - Secret announcement of Smash Bros. Deluxe this week
theory 2 - SNES Mini is coming that day

What do you guys think

You're good.

Nintendo can barely keep the switch in stock they don't need a black friday game to bundle or push

Black friday special will be whatever wiiu are left in storage with breath of the wild and/or smash for a discounted price, and a 2dsxl with pokemon and/or mario maker.

The WIi was hard to find, and that still had a mega-title for the Black Friday slot.

2006 - Wii / Wii Sports
2007 - Super Mario Galaxy
2008 - Animal Crossing: City Folk
2009 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
2010 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2012 - Wii U / New Super Mario Bros. U
2013 - Super Mario 3D World
2014 - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2015 - lol (It was Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival)
2016 - NES Classic Edition

spekkeh

Banned
Switch will be sold out starting from Mario's release until new years. Releasing something right before black Friday does nothing. They moved Mario up a bit just to lengthen the period of being sold out.

Kureransu

The WIi was hard to find, and that still had a mega-title for the Black Friday slot.

2006 - Wii / Wii Sports
It was the lackluster Mario tennis ultra smash actually.

jmizzal

2006 - Wii / Wii Sports

Thanks, last year was the only year they didnt have a major console game and that was due to WiiU being dead

Games never come out Black Friday week. Everything else is discounted that week so putting out a full price game is a great way to get ignored

LOL, Nintendo always has their biggest release/s of the year the Friday before BF. It's been that way for over a decade. Get the entusiast sales at launch, then get the BF sales, then get the Dec straggler sales.

My guess is that FEH will release then. Still super surprised that Mario isn't coming out that day...they must be worried about shortages so they're leaving a month gap I guess?

For purely reasons of limited manufacturing ability, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SNES Mini delayed. I'm guessing Nintendo's primary directive is to make as many Switches as possible.

Also, the Switch itself will be hard to find all year, especially around the holiday season. Nintendo doesn't need a doorbuster for Black Friday: a small surge in Switch availability will be more than enough.

For purely reasons of limited manufacturing ability, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SNES Mini delayed. I'm guessing Nintendo's primary directive is to make as many Switches as possible.

Also, the Switch itself will be hard to find all year, especially around the holiday season. Nintendo doesn't need a doorbuster for Black Friday: a small surge in Switch availability will be more than enough.

Why did Wii have its marquee titles come out during BF then?

Do they need a game on blackfriday though? They have enough high selling titles launching this year. Smash would be great though.. or mario maker..

NSESN

Guys Xenoblade would not be able to survive November. It's probably launching in December.
Edit: Either Smash or Retros game imo. But Smash would be weird since would a port of Msash 4 be a bigger deal than a brand new return to form Mario?
There is no 3rd party game releasing in November. If anything it would help sell the game.

PSFan

2006 - Wii / Wii Sports

I consider Twilight Princess to be the big game for 2006 Black Friday time. Wii Sports was a pack-in for most places.

And N64 is still the champion for me when it comes to big November games. It had Ocarina of Time, DK64 and Banjo-Tooie as some of N's big Nov games. Three of my all time favorites.

Jethro

Maybe Nintendo repeats 1997. Announcing Diddy Kong Racing 2 in late August to release in November. Casual friendly Title for everyone.

MoogPaul

Xeno and Fire Emblem Warriors will hit. One will be nov, one december. That appears to be the nintendo game plan. A first title property every month.

Banned
I'm sure that Smash port will be it along with some killer Mario Kart bundle. Xenoblade 2 in December like XCX was.

Would a SNES classic even really be needed? The holidays this year are going to be buoyed by Mario Odyssey and Pokemon US/UM. Those will move hardware, unlike what happened with the Wii U last year, so a SNES won't really be necessary.

I dont think we will see another killer app there, let Mario shine. It will.

I do however expect to see Mario & Sonic at Olympics in there somewhere and it wouldt surprise me to see a Mario Party or another co-op party co-op game there as well.

nickerous

Anyone else think a Zelda themed Switch will be released this year? What about 3DS, would nintendo bring back the $99 New 3DS?

Anyone else think a Zelda themed Switch will be released this year? What about 3DS, would nintendo bring back the $99 New 3DS?
The New 3DS was already discontinued wasn't it? Unless you mean the XL, which I'd doubt because of the 2DS XL. There might be a Zelda Switch though with special joy con, but even then I'd figure they'd just stick to Mario Kart or Splatoon.

C.Mongler

People really want to believe Smash is still coming out in 2017, huh? I guess this is a few months old bumped thread, a bit more reasonable then, but obviously not happening now.

It'll be Fire Emblem Warriors or Skyrim, if anything. Maybe Xenoblade 2, but I anticipate that'll be first couple weeks of December.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm still wanting to know when Breath of the Wild's DLC #2 is dropping. Nintendo gave us less than a month of heads-up time for DLC #1, and I'm hoping we get more heads-up for this one so I can take a nice chunk of vacation time for it..

Do they even need one?

No, they don't need a big game launching literally Thanksgiving week. They have three of their largest franchises with new games out this year on a system they can barely keep in stock well outside of holiday season. There's not much reason to launch anything major within a month of Mario Odyssey.

I'm still wanting to know when Breath of the Wild's DLC #2 is dropping. Nintendo gave us less than a month of heads-up time for DLC #1, and I'm hoping we get more heads-up for this one so I can take a nice chunk of vacation time for it..

I've never been one to blame people for taking vacation time for new games, but a "chuck of vacation" for DLC? How much content do you think there'll actually be?

Jakoo

Interesting thought, but I feel like Pokemon and even a month-old mainline Mario title could certainly suffice for Nintendo on both the 3DS and Switch respectively.

Morts

I was about to yell at everyone for not knowing the SNES Classic release date before realizing this is a two month old thread.

HylianTom

Banned
I've never been one to blame people for taking vacation time for new games, but a "chuck of vacation" for DLC? How much content do you think there'll actually be?
I don't think it'll be a substantial increase, but it's a flimsy excuse to take some time off during the holidays to replay one of my favorite games of all time. (I skipped DLC #1 altogether, so I'll be able to experience that as well.)

Top Bottom