• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What platform/platforms have y'all played The Evil Within on?

Note: I posted this exact thread on Evilwithin.net as well (although I expanded the title just a bit by fully spelling out The Evil Within as opposed to the abbreviation)...figured I'd gauge GAF on this topic as well:

As the thread title states...what platform/platforms have y'all played TEW on? I personally bought the PC version twice (the first time digitally, full-price Day 1 for Steam, the 2nd time for around $10-ish for a brand new physical PC version which also happened to be tied to Steam as well :/ ), and for the most part in my experiences so far, the game ran at a solid-ish 30FPS for me. Where I'm going with this is that many gamers I believe complained about the game's technical issues and whatnot...perhaps severely negatively affecting their perception of the gameplay and the game in general. I'm thankful that my experiences with the PC versions have been mostly smooth...but for presumably console players, they didn't get as nice of an experience as I did perhaps. Plus in general, I'm sort of curious about how the game is like on other platforms as well, especially the PS3360 versions of the game, which I recall had some differences in lighting or something like that, giving them their own distinct look from the current gen/PC versions of the game.

If this thread or something similar already exists, I apologize haha. I did do a search for a similar topic, but alas, my searching skills on forums kind of suck...so I might have missed such similar threads already.

So yea, share away what platform/platforms you got The Evil Within for, and optionally explain why you picked said platform/platforms and optionally state which version is your favorite, and/or optionally explain why as well! Happy sharing :]

I picked ps4 because I don't have an xb1 and my pc isn't good enough.

I thought the framerate and iq was pretty shitty but not game-ruining and I still loved the art and gameplay.

I picked ps4 because I don't have an xb1 and my pc isn't good enough.

I thought the framerate and iq was pretty shitty but not game-ruining and I still loved the art and gameplay.

Aah...glad you ended up enjoying it in spite of those flaws!

What does iq mean? Saw it mentioned in another thread as well, and I tried searching it up online and didn't find anything :/

Malcolm9

Image quality (iq).

As for me I played the PS4 version which I enjoyed, the framerate didn't bother me too much. The patch that got rid of the black borders was very welcome to.

eXistor

What does iq mean? Saw it mentioned in another thread as well, and I tried searching it up online and didn't find anything :/

IQ=Image Quality

I played it on PS4 myself. Great stuff. And I'm very aware of the issues too (you'd have to be blind not to see the framerate issues), but it's very hard to let that tarnish a great game for me. It's not like it's unplayable or anything close to that.

Image quality (iq).

As for me I played the PS4 version which I enjoyed, the framerate didn't bother me too much. The patch that got rid of the black borders was very welcome to.

Ty for the definition!

Good to know you were still able to enjoy PS4 version! I personally like the black bars haha...but it's cool w/ me if others can enjoy the game more without them

ps4... eventually.

It's a shame because I've championed Mikami all these years but somehow I just have not got around to playing TEW.

One of these days.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

The pc version looks and runs great for me even without the letterbox. But then again, I barely got it a couple weeks ago. Hopefully number 2's pc version isn't fucked from the beginning as well

ps4... eventually.

It's a shame because I've championed Mikami all these years but somehow I just have not got around to playing TEW.

One of these days.

Well, perhaps the 1st game might get discounted or something once the 2nd game comes out...which is soon-ish (this Friday the 13th in October...if it doesn't get delayed!)...hopefully, that's your chance to jump on on what I consider a flawed masterpiece!

PC-version, and it was pretty solid.

Didn't buy for the PS4 because I prefer 60fps, 1440p and a game without borders.

Great game.

Ayy, another fellow player of the PC version as well! That's a great imo perk of the PC version...it's more...customizeable...than the console versions I believe

Durock

Xbox One. Played fine to me. Absolutely loved the game. Story, graphics, gameplay, etc. One of my favorite games this gen.

On PS4, but in crowded areas I seemed to be missing the extra frames DLC, because that shit brought back N64 framedrop nostalgia.

Image quality, which in my mind at least is just the subjective "clearness" of the game, mainly tied to resolution and anti-aliasing and stuff I think. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a full 1080p at least, but I also cranked film grain up to 100 and left it there (might have been 100 by default) and think it made it look really good at times.

ACdwkXw.jpg

Honestly my biggest complaint visually is that Kidman's is much less detailed than Seb's or even Jimenez in-game.

Also I kept the black bars because GAF told me to lol

I played it on PC. Had no issues with performance, although I did run into a snag with the mouse cursor in menus where it had some deadzone that made it awful to use -- which I then figured out was tied to the in-game mouse sensitivity for some reason and notching it up from 12 to 13 was enough to fix it.

Is it weird that I want to still buy a physical copy of TEW but I noticed all the printed versions have a color printing error that the spine looks purple in comparison to the rest of the regular blue ps4 cases? I dunno maybe it's fucked canadian thing.

Initially played it on the PC when the game first released originally. Have done a playthrough since some things got patched too.

This topic has been brought up and I know at least the PS4 version was patched with better performance, the ability to turn off black bars, etc. The Evil Within is an odd game since it originally started on PS3/Xbox 360 and the later console versions only came mid-way in development. They were working with id Tech 5 Engine, but the engine couldn't do what they wanted it to especially in lighting, so they made a lot of modifications to the engine.

I actually enjoyed my original PC run though, I did play my first run with black bars and at 30fps initially, since the original PC version at release was very well optimized for these two things but started to have problems if you moved away from these things (though the PC version has since been patched to allow 60fps much easier and to play without black bars). I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I didn't hate the sort of grimey look the game in that state had, I still have a few Steam screenshots of when I was playing (given Steam screenshots are compressed, but whatever).

(I also appreciated being able to in TEW turn all HUD elements off individually, so I played the whole game with no reticle, health gauge, ammo counter, or anything except subtitles.)

This said, the PC patch supporting more optimization, 60fps, and no black bars was appreciated and I played the DLC episodes like that (and my second playthrough).

Some of the stuff you typed here brings me to ask you...did the patches for the PC version change some stuff for the worse? I honestly suspect so...since for me at least, things like teleporting from one room to another look really rough for me on my gaming PC, even though when I played the game near launch, on a slightly worse graphics card than my current one, it didn't have that problem...the room transitions would fade nice and smoothly, presumably as intended. Also, in Chapter 9...for my current gaming PC, the blue tint is BARELY visible for me :/...makes it kind of hard to determine when Ruvik's stalking you...thankfully though, the change in music still lets me know when he does that...not to mention, it's much less aesthetically pleasing to me barely seeing the tint...before, when I played the game after it's launch, the tint in that chapter was imo nice, dark, menacing, and slightly distorted the angle of the graphics I feel...which really enhanced that part to me.

Interesting to me how you note that the screenshots from soon after launch according to you have a different look to them than the screenshots you took after later patches...I didn't look too closely at the screenshots, but I'll try again and see if I feel the same way haha

The pc version looks and runs great for me even without the letterbox. But then again, I barely got it a couple weeks ago. Hopefully number 2's pc version isn't fucked from the beginning as well

I'd argue the PC ver. of The Evil Within wasn't that bad...at least it wasn't for me...I got it day 1 as well. However, just because I feel that way personally, I don't think diminishes what problems others had with the PC version at launch

Played it on PC at 60fps w/ a dualshock 4.

Cool!

PC. 60 frames or bust.

Ehh...I tried to play at 60FPS previously a few times...but especially in TEW's case, I felt it was...weird. Didn't feel right to me...even though for a game like Resident Evil Revelations 2 for example, 60FPS and higher works fine and feels fine in my experience. Plus, for survival horror games in general, I tend to stick to 30FPS if possible

Kudo

I bought it on release date on PS4, saw that the PC version had lots of issues I didn't want to deal with.
Lots of patches later I think PC version is the way to go now, most likely will get the DLC before TEW2 comes.

Xbox One. Played fine to me. Absolutely loved the game. Story, graphics, gameplay, etc. One of my favorite games this gen.

I think that's the 1st time I hear of someone playing the Xbox One ver. More power to you for doing so, and glad you like the game alot!

On PS4, but in crowded areas I seemed to be missing the extra frames DLC, because that shit brought back N64 framedrop nostalgia.

Haha :p

Image quality, which in my mind at least is just the subjective "clearness" of the game, mainly tied to resolution and anti-aliasing and stuff I think. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a full 1080p at least, but I also cranked film grain up to 100 and left it there (might have been 100 by default) and think it made it look really good at times.

ACdwkXw.jpg

Honestly my biggest complaint visually is that Kidman's is much less detailed than Seb's or even Jimenez in-game.

Also I kept the black bars because GAF told me to lol

Although someone here already answered to me what image quality means, I appreciate you answering as well!

Never noticed the visual quality of Kidman compared to other chars...she looks fine/similar to the others enough to me at least.

I'd say try both (black bars and without) for a certain amount of time (say from playing one checkpoint to another or more if you wish) to determine which you prefer

I played it on PC. Had no issues with performance, although I did run into a snag with the mouse cursor in menus where it had some deadzone that made it awful to use -- which I then figured out was tied to the in-game mouse sensitivity for some reason and notching it up from 12 to 13 was enough to fix it.

Ehh...what an odd glitch I feel. Glad to know though that you were able to work around it!

Is it weird that I want to still buy a physical copy of TEW but I noticed all the printed versions have a color printing error that the spine looks purple in comparison to the rest of the regular blue ps4 cases? I dunno maybe it's fucked canadian thing.

I think it might be a fucked Canadian thing haha...I recall in various Gamestops here in North America, that used copies of The Evil Within are the standard blue just like the other PS4 games IIRC

You got played buddy

Ehhh...I'd say it's up to the poster for them to decide which they prefer (black bars or none)

Traxtech

100% it on PC at release, even with the shitty unpatched performance

Only the other week went and platinumed it on PS4, still runs like ass even with boost mode in some areas. Also played it with bars because i like that feeling of being "cut off"

Also, fuck Akumu mode

I bought it on release date on PS4, saw that the PC version had lots of issues I didn't want to deal with.
Lots of patches later I think PC version is the way to go now, most likely will get the DLC before TEW2 comes.

As I typed out to a poster somewhere above, I'd argue the PC version, even at launch, wasn't that bad...at least it wasn't for me.

So you mean you wanna get the DLC for the PC ver. before TEW2 releases?

100% it on PC at release, even with the shitty unpatched performance

Only the other week went and platinumed it on PS4, still runs like ass even with boost mode in some areas. Also played it with bars because i like that feeling of being "cut off"

Also, fuck Akumu mode

As I typed out to a poster somewhere above, I'd argue the PC version, even at launch, wasn't that bad...at least it wasn't for me.

You mean the PS4 Pro's boost mode, or you're referring to a patch/patches for PS4 version that "boosted" the game in some areas?

Haha, you at least understand some of the appeal of the black bars for this game! :D

I haven't tried Akumu for myself yet, but I've heard many horror stories about it...sounds so...unfun I guess.

Even though I didn't play much of it, I played in on PC.
My old laptop even, which, to my surprise, was able to run the game at 720p30 without much of a problem.

My current PC most is most likely able to play it at 2k 60fps or so.

Kudo

So you mean you wanna get the DLC for the PC ver. before TEW2 releases?

Yup, that's the plan.
Maybe they weren't that bad but I didn't want to take the risk then, as it is always with PC games problems are case by case.

Even though I didn't play much of it, I played in on PC.
My old laptop even, which, to my surprise, was able to run the game at 720p30 without much of a problem.

My current PC most is most likely able to play it at 2k 60fps or so.

I feel that's cool that your laptop was able to run it at those specs w/o much of a problem!

That sounds like it might be a god-tier experience playing it at those specs on your current PC!

Yup, that's the plan.
Maybe they weren't that bad but I didn't want to take the risk then, as it is always with PC games problems are case by case.

Good luck in doing so, and I hope you enjoy the DLCs! Speaking of which...I still haven't got the DLCs for myself either...wasn't too hot on the stealth focus for the Juli stuff...the Keeper DLC however, sounds like a fun time to me and right up my alley

Aah...yep, PC games are indeed a case-by-case basis I feel...I can understand you're reluctance to get it, especially at that time

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ps3 because at the time I didn't have a PS4 yet
It run like sh*t lol
Hopefully the second on PS4 will be a better technical experience

Ps3 because at the time I didn't have a PS4 yet
It run like sh*t lol
Hopefully the second on PS4 will be a better technical experience

OMG it's you! I still remember that legendary thread about the El Capitan Todd :p

Aah...were you able to like/enjoy the experience regardless of the technical issues of PS3 ver.?

From the snippets of gameplay I've seen so far for TEW2, seems like it's running smoother so far, so I'd wager that they did fix up several technical issues

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OMG it's you! I still remember that legendary thread about the El Capitan Todd :p

Aah...were you able to like/enjoy the experience regardless of the technical issues of PS3 ver.?

From the snippets of gameplay I've seen so far for TEW2, seems like it's running smoother so far, so I'd wager that they did fix up several technical issues

Ah ah ah yes it is me!
Yes, I really liked TEW as a "proper" sequel of re4 despite its performance on ps3
At the same time it gave me nostalgia for mikami Japanese developments to me way more refined

Absolutely, but the poster didn't say whether they preferred it, just that someone on GAF did.

... although I can't see any possible reasonable argument for preferring a black border in a 3D TPS :p

Ehh...true true.

For TEW specifically, I don't know if it was an intentional gameplay and/or artistic feature or just related to technical issues (leaning towards the former), I feel that the black borders...add something to the experience. Your view aiming is sort of more restricted compared to games without black borders I've observed...and it matches the survival horror mood of the game imo. I'm pretty sure several fans of TEW agree with me as well

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Ah ah ah yes it is me!
Yes, I really liked TEW as a "proper" sequel of re4 despite its performance on ps3
At the same time it gave me nostalgia for mikami Japanese developments to me way more refined

Cool cool how were able to enjoy TEW as a "proper" sequel/spiritual successor to RE4 in spite of the PS3 performance!

What's odd to me is that some things felt EXTREMELY refined/streamlined to me like the inventory for example, and yet I consider many things in that game to feel janky-ish, like it was developed by a brand new dev. team with no prior experience with other developed titles (that very well might be the case w/ Tango Gameworks, with only a few key staff like Mikami, Katakani, and a few others being from the old Capcom Prod. Studio 4 while most of the team was brand new otherwise)

Xbox One. Didn't have any issues (even black bars didn't bother me) and really loved it. Can't wait for 2!

Add another one to the list of Xbox One TEW players! I find it cool that you liked it alot, even w/ black bars (what I personally consider the superior experience :p) Glad you're anticipating 2 alot...I WANT to be more hyped for 2, but gonna be more cautious this time around with TEW franchise...I felt I was too hyped for the 1st one, and although I still like the game and consider it a flawed masterpiece, I wouldn't be lying if I typed out that the overhype still makes me view some aspects of the game more negatively than if I wasn't as hyped for it I guess

Also I'll mention this here though it's not related to the original game, but Bethesda posted yesterday there'd be a new trailer for The Evil Within 2 releasing today, so anyone interested should keep an eye out.

Thanks for heads up!

I asked you a question regarding the patches of the PC version, if they might've changed some stuff regarding the graphics for the worse (it was in response to your 1st reply in this thread) so if you have the time/and or information related to that question, I'd appreciate your answer!

Kudo

Good luck in doing so, and I hope you enjoy the DLCs! Speaking of which...I still haven't got the DLCs for myself either...wasn't too hot on the stealth focus for the Juli stuff...the Keeper DLC however, sounds like a fun time to me and right up my alley

Aah...yep, PC games are indeed a case-by-case basis I feel...I can understand you're reluctance to get it, especially at that time

Same reason I haven't played the DLC yet, also I feel like they're not necessarily marketed as essential for the story so I didn't even buy season pass back then. I'm just hoping Sebas and Joseph is in the DLC and I'll be happy.
Loved the main game though so it feels weird to skip DLC like this but I'm really hyped for TEW2.

Hopeford

PC. I liked the letterboxing concept but didn't like that the rendered area was so small, so I decided to be a dumb contrarian and I got the game running on 1920x810, which actually was pretty fun. Also altered the FOV through third party tools if I recall. Loved the result though.

The game suffered from some stability issues and I wish a lot of the tinkering I did was supported out of the box, but I loved the end experience. I don't normally like horror games, but I loved this one. Maybe because it was less horror and more action. Either way, big fan of it.

Same reason I haven't played the DLC yet, also I feel like they're not necessarily marketed as essential for the story so I didn't even buy season pass back then. I'm just hoping Sebas and Joseph is in the DLC and I'll be happy.
Loved the main game though so it feels weird to skip DLC like this but I'm really hyped for TEW2.

Although they might've not been marketed as essential to the story, I've read that many fans of TEW were able to better understand the story because of the Kidman DLCs, and I think they thought as well that they basically are essential to better understanding the story

I wouldn't get my hopes too high for more Seb and Joseph...maayybe Joseph will show in the DLC, not sure about Seb.

Glad you hyped for TEW2! I typed out somewhere previously in this thread, but yea I mentioned why I'm rather cautious for my hype levels for TEW2

SpokkX

Ps4 - liked but quit after a few hours because of the of the AWFUL performance. Unplayable imo

Have a gtx1070 so i am thinking about getting the steam version since i love all of mikamis old games

NinjaBoiX

I played about an hour or two on PS4 but quit, partly because it ran like shit but mainly because the game itself is just awful.

Like, it's a really really poor piece of software.

Avoid.

PC. I liked the letterboxing concept but didn't like that the rendered area was so small, so I decided to be a dumb contrarian and I got the game running on 1920x810, which actually was pretty fun. Also altered the FOV through third party tools if I recall. Loved the result though.

The game suffered from some stability issues and I wish a lot of the tinkering I did was supported out of the box, but I loved the end experience. I don't normally like horror games, but I loved this one. Maybe because it was less horror and more action. Either way, big fan of it.

I just searched up what a contrarian is, and I feel I tend to be that way alot of the time, for better or worse

Do those third party tools still work with the latest, fully-patched up version of the game as of now on PC? If so...I'd like it if you can link to them or something. I'd like to experiment with the FOV myself!

Didn't notice much stability issues for me personally, even when I got PC ver. at launch.

Glad you were able to get into this horror game and consider yourself a big fan of it! Funny how you feel like it's less horror and more action...that's what I'd use to describe RE4. This game made a conscious push I feel to have a better balance between action and (survival) horror.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Played it on PC on a 21:9 screen. I'm not 100% if the game supported 21:9 on release or if I used a patch for it.

I actually would have to look closer to remember fully, but the game as a whole had some terrible texture pop-in that I think contributed to the transition scenes sometimes being quite wonky. Not sure if the patches made it better or worse off memory, but maybe they'd be more noticeable since I did notice the update improved the overall IQ for the PC version too.

Aha...I see. Yea, I notice many times the terrible texture pop in haha.

It's sad really...I pretty clearly remember the launch PC version being exactly like this regarding the fades:

xjgPdfO.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if the patches also affected the color/shape of the tint in Chapter 9 as well :[

They aren't specifically necessary technically, but they tell the story in a much better way than the original game did and do bring new elements to the story that provides new interesting angles.

Like one thing that's made clear in the DLC is not everything is as Sebastian see's in the original game, there's one scene in the DLC that captures this perfectly which is the scene when Sebastian, Joseph, and Kidman are together after saving Kidman from the tank of water. Some DC spoilers:

The thing the DLC expands more upon than anything else is Mobius as a group, which Mobius plays a big role in the sequel so I bet some of the stuff from the DLC will be important (though they say in TEW2 there's something in it to provide all the story details you need to know for those who haven't played the original game). The DLC also features a villain character that wasn't in the original game, but in my opinion is a much better and more interesting villain than Ruvik was, the Administrator of Mobius. I really hope he's in the sequel, I unexpectedly loved his character in the DLC.

I deleted the spoilers part to avoid spoiling myself in the case I do decide to get the DLCs later on, just a heads up

Hmmm...yea...makes sense to me regarding the story deliveries in the DLC being clearer to understand for many, alongside what you consider interesting new angles.

Hmmm...the DLC's focus on Mobius does sound interesting and up my alley to me haha. I think I also read that on a Bethesda blog that TEW2 will be accessible story wise to newcomers as well...good to know that I feel.

The Administrator of Mobius...sounds so...menacing...intimidating to me haha. Sounds like he could be a major villain for either TEW2 or a later game perhaps

hao chi

Xbox One because I was visiting my brother and he has it. I only got up to chapter 4 due to a lack of time.

I bought the PS4 version on a sale recently and it's fairly high up on my list of games to play.

Only on PC everything maxed, it was beautiful and ran at smooth 60 FPS all the time.

Bought it at launch, never had issues.

Top Bottom