• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time.

Do you have to be online to play a game on the secondary console? Do you have to be in your profile or can other profiles play the game?

Since I didn't know about the whole home and "other" console thing (someone link me to the full info), I think I finally understood the scenario that Yosp is saying:

@atPeteDodd @feedmydolphin @amboyes @DangerWife so @DangerWife can play on your "home" machine and you can play on another at the same time

Dangerwife would play on the home console (let's call it Mortimer) on her account. Since it's the home console of Mortimer, the game is playable for Dangerwife.

Mortimer must log in the console that didn't purchase the game. Both are able to play.

In other words, to gameshare right now you would need to tell the OTHER guy to buy the game from your account but in his system, so you can still access it from the "other" console, which would be yours. Crazy.

Do you have to be online to play a game on the secondary console? Do you have to be in your profile or can other profiles play the game?

Only the account that purchased the content can access the content on the second console and must be logged into PSN on that console

tumblr_m6o8m5lnpG1qdtgxyo1_500.gif

Sorry for going OT but what movie is this from?

androvsky

Of course. What would be the point if you couldn't? Whoever has the second use of your account will be able to download any content you have onto the second PS4 and play them freely even if you are still using your PS4.

Home machine: Works like PS3 (and 360?). Play offline, play with any account on the machine.

Second machine: Works like 360. Can only play your games if you're signed into your account on PSN.

What Yoshida's saying is the Wife plays the game on the home machine on her account while you play your game on the second machine signed into PSN on your account.

BadAss2961

Of course. What would be the point if you couldn't? Whoever has the second use of your account will be able to download any content you have onto the second PS4 and play them freely even if you are still using your PS4.
I'll probably have 2 PS4's in the house at some point, so i'm counting on this feature to stand. I'm just hoping we don't get a sudden surprise where we find out it'll no longer work this way.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
All of your info is wrong, man. Stop.

Only the purchaser account can access the content on the second console.

Exactly what are you missing? That's exactly right and it's what I've been saying and said in the post you replied to.

Or do you think that every PS4 comes with a retina scanner to check if you are indeed the purchaser of the account? It allows two people to access the same content on two different consoles from the same account at the same time. It's not that complicated.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In other words, to gameshare right now you would need to tell the OTHER guy to buy the game from your account but in his system, so you can still access it from the "other" console, which would be yours. Crazy.

You got it all wrong. It's on the account and you download from the download list and it activates like PS3. The question is if it's like the traditional sharing ala PS3 or if it's even a further step up and your account can be active on 2 units. The activation/gatekey is important here and it sounds like it's still a 2 unit activation.

Home machine: Works like PS3 (and 360?). Play offline, play with any account on the machine.

Second machine: Works like 360. Can only play your games if you're signed into your account on PSN.

What Yoshida's saying is the Wife plays the game on the home machine on her account while you play your game on the second machine signed into PSN on your account.

^^^^^^^THIS

You got it all wrong. It's on the account and you download from the download list and it activates like PS3. The question is if it's like the traditional sharing ala PS3 or if it's even a further step up and your account can be active on 2 units. The activation/gatekey is important here and it sounds like it's still a 2 unit activation.

I can't be wrong if I was the first to mention that, lol. I'm just panicking because people are saying this "home console" and "foreign console" concepts I was completely unaware of.

^^^^^^^THIS

So then i'm right if to "gameshare" you actually need to do either:

Log into your friend account from your system. Purchase the game. Now you can play on your account as the purchase would be tied to your console. He would need to log in as he would be the "other console".
Have your friend log into your account from his system. He buys the game. Now he can play on his account as the purchase would be tied to his console. You would need to log in as you would be the "other console".

Would it be something like that? Or home console is something where you tie your account to that console system-wide and not per purchase?

frizby

This isn't new information.

You have a home PS4 where every other user on the machine can use all of your content including PS Plus for playing online, and you can sign into any other PS4 and access your content.

Xbone works more or less the same way.

But can someone still access content from the Home PS4 on a different account? Game sharing... That's what I want confirmed.

Does the above not answer that question? Will try again.

You can share all of your content on your one home console (including online gaming) with anybody who uses it. You can also access all of your content by logging in to any other PS4 with your account.

It's only confusing if you want to manipulate the system and share the way you do now. It's different from the current "2 consoles all content" system but can be used the same way if you make your secondary console your home console. For instance, if you have a kid, make their console your "home" so they have access to your stuff and then just log into your actual primary machine.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Yep.

Metfanant

lets work this out...

- two people that live together each purchase PS4's

- My home console = PS4a

- Her home console = PS4b

- I purchase and download KZ:SF onto MY home PS4a

- I also download KZ:SF on PS4b

- ANYONE playing on PS4a (MY home console) can play KZ:SF till their eyes bleed...

- KZ:SF can ONLY be played with MY account logged in

LiquidMetal14

The sharing system is absolutely not the same on 360 and PS3. Have some of you used the PS3 on 2 accounts before? You activate on your main unit and on another. That can be your secondary unit or a friend/family member you trust. You can both play the games on the account but only 1 person can be logged in as the account to represent that name online.

You can still play something like Battlefield 3 on the main account and the user who has the share account can play it under his own account as it activates on that respective unit.

LiquidMetal14

lets work this out...

- My home console = PS4a
Her home console = PS4b

- ANYONE playing on PS4a (MY home console) can play KZ:SF till their eyes bleed...

If you activate on the secondary account you can play but you cannot be logged into the main account of the person who's sharing with you while online. The sound of this is saying the same account can be logged in concurrently. I don't care about that but the sharing sounds like it's the same on PS3. That's good.

That's...exactly what he was pointing out.

You should have put it simpler. No issue. Some here evidently don't know how the system works on PS3 so it needs to be clarified.

The sharing system is absolutely not the same on 360 and PS3. Have some of you used the PS3 on 2 accounts before? You activate on your main unit and on another. That can be your secondary unit or a friend/family member you trust. You can both play the games on the account but only 1 person can be logged in as the account to represent that name online.

You can still play something like Battlefield 3 on the main account and the user who has the share account can play it under his own account as it activates on your unit.

That's...exactly what he was pointing out.

frizby

lets work this out...

- My home console = PS4a

- Her home console = PS4b

Sounds about right. Only footnote is that the other users on your home console can also use your PS Plus access to online play.

For the people who prefer the current 2-console system, consider that this system is what allows you to log into ANY secondary machine, which isn't exactly the case now.

CraZed

You're reading into that wrong. He means one person can play on the home console under their account and then he can log into the other ps4 under his account (the one that purchased the digital title) and play with the other person

He isn't reading it incorrectly. ANYONE can play ANY of the games loaded from ANY of the profiles loaded on the home console. If you are on another console and signed in you can play any game associated with your SEN account even while someone is playing it on the home console.

This is much the same as it is on the PS3 currently, except that on the PS3 you can only play it on two consoles that have been activated first and there is no "Home" console.

frizby

If you activate on the secondary account you can play but you cannot be logged into the main account of the person who's sharing with you while online. The sound of this is saying the same account can be logged in concurrently. I don't care about that but the sharing sounds like it's the same on PS3. That's good.

You should have put it simpler. No issue. Some here evidently don't know how the system works on PS3 so it needs to be clarified.

It's not the same as on PS3.

Concurrently logged in accounts? Think about what you just said. That doesn't make any sense.

He is literally saying:

Buy game on system A with (let's say) Greg's account

Mary wants to play that game under her account too and you have two systems! What should we do?!???

Greg logs onto system B and plays the purchased game on there WHILE LOGGED ONTO HIS ACCOUNT VIA PSN

Mary jumps on system A and plays under her account (online or offline)

On the PS3, the system can work like this. My brother bought Payday 2 and I didn't because I was having a few financial difficulties. He logged into his account on my PS3 and downloaded the game onto my PS3. I logged in to my PSN account and started playing his copy of Payday 2 on my PS3. Then he logged onto his PSN account on his PS3 and also started playing his copy of Payday 2 and we can play co-op. I may have even skipped over the game if it wasn't for that... I have since bought a few loot packs to cover the cost of the game so I don't feel as bad for not buying it.

His console is considered the home console. Mine is the secondary. Those are the two activations. The current system works seems pretty good so I'm a little surprised it doesn't seem as clear cut anymore.

LiquidMetal14

Sounds about right. Only footnote is that the other users on your home console can also use your PS Plus access to online play.

For the people who prefer the current 2-console system, consider that this system is what allows you to log into ANY secondary machine, which isn't exactly the case now.

That's it so far. I don't know if it fully confirms the same account active and online concurrently but it certainly leans towards the same share system on 2 separate units.

frizby

Concurrently logged in accounts? Think about what you just said. That doesn't make any sense.

He is literally saying:

Mary wants to play that game under her account too and you have two systems! What should we do?!???

Greg logs onto system B and plays the purchased game on there WHILE LOGGED ONTO HIS ACCOUNT VIA PSN

Mary jumps on system B and plays under her account (online or offline)

Change the B to an A in the last sentence and you have it nailed.

skybald

If I have PS+ on Playstation 3 with my account, would my brothers be able to play my IGC games with their different, non-PS+ accounts?

He is literally saying:

Mary jumps on system A and plays under her account (online or offline)

Yep that's how I see it after I understood the home console concept. Well, not going digital this time. Shame, I actually spent more because of it. Waiting for bargain bin like the old times!

BadAss2961

Does the above not answer that question? Will try again.

You can share all of your content on your one home console (including online gaming) with anybody who uses it. You can also access all of your content by logging in to any other PS4 with your account.

It's only confusing if you want to manipulate the system and share the way you do now. It's different from the current "2 consoles all content" system but can be used the same way if you make your secondary console your home console. For instance, if you have a kid, make their console your "home" so they have access to your stuff and then just log into your actual primary machine.
I think i've got it. Hopefully it's easy to designate which console you want as Home, and which as Secondary.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LOL ... this thread.

Just look at it this way: PS+ will be available to two consoles 'simultaneously'. I'm not narrowing this down to PS+ so please don't go off at yet another strange tangent, I'm just using it as an example. Currently my son can play any content I get free on PS+ as long as he's playing on my console. This will allow him to play the content I downloaded from PS+ on his console at home as long as he uses my account, EVEN if I'm still using my PS4 when he does that.

LiquidMetal14

He is literally saying:

Mary jumps on system B and plays under her account (online or offline)

I don't think I was refuting any of that since I have account shared for years. I am very,very well versed on how it works. If this is a step up from the current system then great. I don't really have interest in being logged into 2 units at the same time and that's what wasn't fully clarified.

The system on PS3 activates the game on the 2nd unit and as long as that's the case and you keep the users name with the email (PW not required to be stored) then it works on 2 units.

Yep that's how I see it after I understood the home console concept. Well, not going digital this time. Shame, I actually spent more because of it. Waiting for bargain bin like the old times!

As was noting before, this sounds like exactly the same system in place for PS3. You mean having the same system on PS4 would deter you from buying digital?

linkeds2

Banned
has it been established yet that this shouldn't mean that you will be able to play the same game on two different consoles using one PSN profile at the same time?

frizby

That's it so far. I don't know if it fully confirms the same account active and online concurrently but it certainly leans towards the same share system on 2 separate units.

It's not.

On the PS3, you can have your account activated on TWO machines and all users on both machines have access to all of it.

On the PS4, you can have all of your content on ONE machine and all users have access to it (including online play) AND you can log into ANY other machine and access your OWN content.

UNCMark

Banned
You can log in on 2 360's simultaneously and play together?

No, but that's not what he appears to be saying, and if he is saying that, he's not being clear. This tweet combined with the story the other day seems to indicate that they're moving to the 360 method where two people can access the same account as long as one person is logged in remotely, and the other is using an account on the system that the licenses are on.

So I can't play my brothers digital games on my PS4 without being logged onto his account and vice versa? If this is the case I'm cancelling our pre-orders.

Fix this Sony.

LiquidMetal14

It's not.

On the PS3, you can have your account activated on TWO machines and all users on both machines have access to all of it.

On the PS4, you can have all of your content on ONE machine and all users have access to it (including online play) AND you can log into ANY other machine and access your OWN content.

You didn't seem to finish. Access your own content and???

And still be able to play on 2 units? Because this is what it sounds like. That's the clarity he should give but it certainly does not state that you can't have 2 activation's. If that's the case then fine, I can live with that. It seems more like the same system on PS3 than not and this isn't some long interview but a very short sentence response.

No, but that's not what he appears to be saying, and if he is saying that, he's not being clear. This tweet combined with the story the other day seems to indicate that they're moving to the 360 method where two people can access the same account as long as one person is logged in and the other isnt.

If that was the case then Yoshida would have said that. He said "so @DangerWife can play on your "home" machine and you can play on another at the same time"

Huge step back then.

Except he didn't say that. I don't know why this is going that direction when not only would I like clarity but am going by the same words he used. So the actual function is very much of interest to me.

UNCMark

Banned

And still be able to play on 2 units? Because this is what it sounds like. That's the clarity he should give but it certainly does not state that you can't have 2 activation's. If that's the case then fine, I can live with that. It seems more like the same system on PS3 than not and this isn't some long interview but a very short sentence response.

If that was the case then Yoshida would have said that. He said "so @DangerWife can play on your "home" machine and you can play on another at the same time"

I edited my post. The person on the system where the licenses reside can be logged in as any user (his wife) and play the purchased games. Like on 360

What this whole thing does is basically make it a pain for people in separate households to game share because of the whole purchaser account thing.

Idk about you, but I wouldn't make my account's primary system at my siblings house just so that we can split the cost of games

UNCMark

Banned
Sorry for going OT but what movie is this from?

That's Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Very good movie.

What this whole thing does is basically make it a pain for people in separate households to game share because of the whole purchaser account thing.

Idk about you, but I wouldn't make my account's primary system at my siblings house just so that we can split the cost of games

Exactly. It makes it harder to gameshare. I'm sure they were envious of Microsoft's setup simply because it made game-sharing more prohibitive.

frizby

I was done, but you can also access the content of whoever has that PS4 as their home.

If it helps, think of it as you can only "activate" your account on your one home console.

...and you can also log into any other, which is the advantage of the new system.

He is saying precisely what I'm saying, and he's answered it before. It's also clear on one of the Playstation Access youtube videos.

As was noting before, this sounds like exactly the same system in place for PS3. You mean having the same system on PS4 would deter you from buying digital?

well you see, it's not the same if my (ex)girlfriend has to be logged into my account to be able to play my PS+ games. Nowhere I see this conjecture that she can be logged into my account at the same time I am playing online with my account from the tweet.

Reading comprehension discrepancies: The thread.

Top Bottom