• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

So for whatever reason my 6S decided it no longer wanted to run Apple Pay, incidentally right after I made the purchase for the iPhone X on the Apple Store app.
I thought the issue would be fixed when moving over to the iPhone X but the issue persists.
I’ve contacted Apple and am actually now speaking to a senior advisor about the issue. We’ve tried everything from restoring the phone from iTunes, iCloud and various other methods, but no matter what, every time the card on Pay needs to be verified, it won’t move off that screen (the one where it says to call your bank).

The only time we have got it to work is when the phone has been set up as new. It’s looking like this is the only solution to getting it to work, which of course means losing data within apps that were backed up to my phone (previously from the 6S). I can deal with pretty much everything other than losing WhatsApp and iMessage messages. During these processes I’ve already lost all media that was attached to these messages, so now it’s just the text files. However I was under the impression that WhatsApp was backed up to the icloud separately from a backup of the phone (the advisor specifically mentioned I’d lose my WhatsApp and iMessage conversations).

I have exported my WhatsApp conversations into zip files so it won’t be a huge tragedy if they go but I’d like to the advisor is wrong on this business of losing WhatsApp conversations? Has anyone ever reinstalled WhatsApp on a new iPhone and been able to recover their conversations from the ICloud? Furthermore could I test it out myself and then if it didn’t work, just restore my phone from an iTunes backup and get them back that way? And finally, is there anyway to export iMessage conversations? Sorry for all the questions!

TLDR; How do I export iMessage conversations and will I lose my WhatsApp conversations if I setup my iPhone as new (not from an iCloud/iTunes backup)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't know about WhatsApp, but........ you're not going to like the iMessage answer. You can't. The only way right now to save iMessage is in a backup. The good news is they will live in a backup perfectly.. but yes if you absolutely NEED to run from a new setup.. there's no way to get your messages back.

And it's looking less and less likely that iMessage in iCloud will happen in 11.x. I mean we haven't even seen a solid beta attempt yet.

edit - apparently as long as you are fine not having the conversations on your phone (sounds like you might have already done that for WhatsApp), I did come across this:

https://www.ephpod.com/how-to-backup-iphone-messages/

So it seems like you do have access to those raw messages using various iOS browsers.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/04/09/how-to-backup-restore-sms-texts-imessages-clean-ios-install/

here's a way to do it from backups also.

Damon

So for whatever reason my 6S decided it no longer wanted to run Apple Pay, incidentally right after I made the purchase for the iPhone X on the Apple Store app.
I thought the issue would be fixed when moving over to the iPhone X but the issue persists.
I’ve contacted Apple and am actually now speaking to a senior advisor about the issue. We’ve tried everything from restoring the phone from iTunes, iCloud and various other methods, but no matter what, every time the card on Pay needs to be verified, it won’t move off that screen (the one where it says to call your bank).

The only time we have got it to work is when the phone has been set up as new. It’s looking like this is the only solution to getting it to work, which of course means losing data within apps that were backed up to my phone (previously from the 6S). I can deal with pretty much everything other than losing WhatsApp and iMessage messages. During these processes I’ve already lost all media that was attached to these messages, so now it’s just the text files. However I was under the impression that WhatsApp was backed up to the icloud separately from a backup of the phone (the advisor specifically mentioned I’d lose my WhatsApp and iMessage conversations).

I have exported my WhatsApp conversations into zip files so it won’t be a huge tragedy if they go but I’d like to the advisor is wrong on this business of losing WhatsApp conversations? Has anyone ever reinstalled WhatsApp on a new iPhone and been able to recover their conversations from the ICloud? Furthermore could I test it out myself and then if it didn’t work, just restore my phone from an iTunes backup and get them back that way? And finally, is there anyway to export iMessage conversations? Sorry for all the questions!

TLDR; How do I export iMessage conversations and will I lose my WhatsApp conversations if I setup my iPhone as new (not from an iCloud/iTunes backup)

In my experience, yes WhatsApp is backed up via Icloud.

Doodis

My phone came today. I love this thing! Super excited because when I ordered at ATT they told me it wouldn't ship until Dec. 5.

Question about wireless charging—is it bad for the phone to be sitting on a charging pad all day? Wondering if it's okay to keep a charger by my work desk and just leave the phone there throughout the day.

Fledz

Question about wireless charging—is it bad for the phone to be sitting on a charging pad all day? Wondering if it's okay to keep a charger by my work desk and just leave the phone there throughout the day.

Absolutely. It will trickle charge whenever it drops below 100%, which from my understanding is bad for the battery.

This is why I stopped leaving my phone on charge when I go to bed. I charge before and then make sure it's never plugged in once it gets close to charged.

Doodis

Absolutely. It will trickle charge whenever it drops below 100%, which from my understanding is bad for the battery.

This is why I stopped leaving my phone on charge when I go to bed. I charge before and then make sure it's never plugged in once it gets close to charged.

Thanks, was wondering if this was the case.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect

Trickle charge is bad but it takes at least 2-3 years of every day use before you start seeing accelerated battery depletion. If you upgrade your phone every year or two, it won’t factor in.

OrionFalls

I leave my phone on charge every night while I sleep, and I've noticed no issues. I'll do the same when I have my X, too, but I'll just leave it to charge wirelessly. Like mentioned, if you upgrade your phone every two years - I can upgrade this time next year - there won't be an issue.

OrionFalls

I finally have my X. Good lord, it’s fucking beautiful. The screen is just so sharp and clean and clear. I put a case on the phone as soon as it arrived, and I have a wireless charger in the lounge and in my bedroom. It’s so fucking awesome.

Doodis

Face ID is so much better than Touch ID for me. I would constantly hit the button the wrong way since there are multiple functions for the button depending on how you touch it. With Face ID, I swipe up and I'm done. It's so much more intuitive.

fury

I got the X a few weeks ago, and the power adapter stopped working after about a week. Apple sent me a replacement and that just went out on me too. Is there some known issue with these (this is my first iPhone)?

Last edited:

eLGee

I got the X a few weeks ago, and the power adapter stopped working after about a week. Apple sent me a replacement and that just went out on me too. Is there some known issue with these (this is my first iPhone)?
The phone is water resistant. The power adapter isnt.

WillyBear

Neo Member
I read on reddit a while ago that YouTube videos would automatically scale to the aspect ratio of the iPhone X screen without cutting off the video, was this true? I still pinch to zoom in the YouTube app at the moment.

OrionFalls

I read on reddit a while ago that YouTube videos would automatically scale to the aspect ratio of the iPhone X screen without cutting off the video, was this true? I still pinch to zoom in the YouTube app at the moment.
I wish this would happen sooner rather than later. I've got used to the notch being there so don't really notice it, but it would be nice to have the correct aspect ratio without having anything cut off.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Does anyone else get worse wireless performance on 5G than previous iPhones?

Issue:

- At home i have a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi network over a Dlink DSL-2900AL router. Had the router for about 2 years and it performs solid in this apartment complex.
- We have an iPad 4, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPad 10.5, Apple TV 4 (all running latest iOS) and 2 laptops which all connect to and hold a 5Ghz connection flawlessly. They all use the 5Ghz band exclusively.
- My new iPhone X (a restore of the iPhone 6 which it replaced) fails to hold a 5Ghz connection for long and is very inconsistent while connected. It connects to and holds a 2.4Ghz connection flawlessly.

Drives me insane to see my 6 perform solid as rock on 5G at range.

Garuda1One

Are you using extension cord ? two of my previous power adapter and a cable from Belkin and Anker stopped working, then i decided to change my extension cord. All is well now.

Last edited:

fury

Are you using extension cord ? two of my previous power adapter and a cable from Belkin and Anker stopped working, then i decided to change my extension cord. All is well now.

Nope, plugged in directly to the wall. I haven’t had any problems with anything else plugged into the outlet. I’m on another replacement now so I’m hoping it was just bad luck with the others.

Last edited:

trikster40

Question: I’ve had my iPhone X for about a week and I am getting those annoying pop-up ads for like Hey Amazon user, you win a bajillion dollars, and it keeps redirecting, trying to open App Store, etc. Also, I don’t visit any weird sites: GAF, IGN, ESPN, all major sites so there shouldn’t be any weird malware (I hope).

I’ve tried everything to get rid of it but it still pops up even after clearing browser history, enabling pop-up blocker, everything. Any ideas?

Gamespawn

Question: I’ve had my iPhone X for about a week and I am getting those annoying pop-up ads for like Hey Amazon user, you win a bajillion dollars, and it keeps redirecting, trying to open App Store, etc. Also, I don’t visit any weird sites: GAF, IGN, ESPN, all major sites so there shouldn’t be any weird malware (I hope).

I’ve tried everything to get rid of it but it still pops up even after clearing browser history, enabling pop-up blocker, everything. Any ideas?
Remove cookies. Happens to me sometimes on GAF.

cjp

Have you thought about installing a Content Blocker for Safari?

Top Bottom