• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messi is the GOAT

EBreda

A hat trick to save Argentina’s WC qualifying hopes. Really the greatest to ever play.

Meanwhile Ronaldo today tripping over himself and trying too hard to score. Amazing what happens when the entire squad isn’t set up for him to score tap-ins vs. heavyweights like Getafe.

You realize Messi has failed to do that for exactly the entirety of the Qualifiers and that's why Argentina evento got to this point, right?

Just checking.

airjoca

Messi is the best player in the world on the ball.

Ronaldo is the best player in the world off the ball.

They're two of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Can't we all just be friends?

redfirm

Banned
i loled....messi is shit, got lucky with 3 goals and is now called goat....we all know he is a shit player who got to where he is because of luck, ronaldo is pure talent and dedication, you cant even mention messi in the same sentence as the all time great C.ronaldo.... hahaha stupid threat about a stupid player, hahahah....pfff there is a reason why ronaldo is 94 in fifa 18...just saying, and we all know fifa 18 is the truth!, dont get it twisted, if messi was that good he would be on the cover, but he aint is he.

Cohsae

i loled....messi is shit, got lucky with 3 goals and is now called goat....we all know he is a shit player who got to where he is because of luck, ronaldo is pure talent and dedication, you cant even mention messi in the same sentence as the all time great C.ronaldo.... hahaha stupid threat about a stupid player, hahahah....pfff there is a reason why ronaldo is 94 in fifa 18...just saying, and we all know fifa 18 is the truth!, dont get it twisted, if messi was that good he would be on the cover, but he aint is he.

This...this is a joke post...right?

redfirm

Banned
This...this is a joke post...right?

why would i joke about this? never played fifa 18? ya don't know! Ronaldo is on the cover. he is 94 rating... he is the best player in the game and they scanned him so they know. EA knows! they scanned messi a few years ago didnt they! so ea knows that ronaldo is better! and truth be told its simple 2+2= 4 minus 1 thats 3 quick maths! its simple really.

i dont get the hype for messi, since Ronaldo has a 94 rating, try playing with them in fifa you understand why ronaldo is better man

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I genuienly can't understand anyone who says Ronaldo is better than him. What does Ronaldo do these days? Score goals. Sure he is incredible at it, one of the best of all time but other than that he's not doing much on the field the last 2-3 years. He's not dribbling past anyone, he's not a good passer and often times he's invisible outside of his goals.

Messi is the same kind of scorer that Ronaldo is but also offers so much more. One of the best playmakers in the world, one of the best dribblers in the world etc.
It's a shame he lost a step or two after his Injury ridden season a few years back, if he had continued his form of 2010-2013, he'd have won at least 2 more Balllon d'ors and be the undisputed GOAT.

redfirm

Banned
I genuienly can't understand anyone who says Ronaldo is better than him. What does Ronaldo do these days? Score goals. Sure he is incredible at it, one of the best of all time but other than that he's not doing much on the field the last 2-3 years. He's not dribbling past anyone, he's not a good passer and often times he's invisible outside of his goals.

Messi is the same kind of scorer that Ronaldo is but also offers so much more. One of the best playmakers in the world, one of the best dribblers in the world etc.
It's a shame he lost a step or two after his Injury ridden season a few years back, if he had continued his form of 2010-2013, he'd have won at least 2 more Balllon d'ors and be the undisputed GOAT.

hahahahahah hahahahahah sure bra sure. messi is shit bra, little man called a footballer now? huh is that what it has come to. we all know messi cant play and is dependent on his team. check the stat's bra. man took twix by force, man shop by force. ronaldo proved himself here in the uk bra, messi never left his baby room. c'mon

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Lest we forget Messi's failures with Argentina
His failures? Jesus fuck. He is always pulling from the cart when he plays for Argentina. Poor guy, no matter what he does, it is never enough for people.

Haunted

He's good, maybe even one of the greats - but you cannot be the GOAT without leading a team to a World Cup title, that's just a fact. (also see: Cruyff, Johan; Eusebio; di Stefano, Alfredo; Ronaldo, Cristiano)

USA loses win or go home qualifier: "OMG this is the biggest disaster in American sporting history!"

Messi scores a hattrick to win a win or go home qualifier: "eh, so what?"

Reckoner

i'm a messi fan
shame to say this but he's unlikely to win the wc, this one or the next, he's just born in the wrong country

c ron shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread, he has an even lesser chance of ever winning the wc with portugal, hell i'd be surprised if portugal ever reaches wc grand finals

After what happened at the Euro I wouldn't be so sure

Loris146

Pele Maradona Ronaldo Nazario and Messi are the goats. My favourite is of course Ronnie because he was the best before injuries. More than 50 goals ( club and national team ) in just a season at 20 years old in Spain. Top under 23 top scorer of all time , 10 goals in copa america , 15 goals in WC ( 25 is the all time record in international competition wc + copa america/ euro ) , 8 goals in 7 matches in 2002 ( all time record for a single wc ) after 18 months without playing. He didn’t have a long career like Messi or others but still the most dangerous player on the pitch in football history.

Bishop89

A5RTOtE.gif

naa Ronaldo is.

These things always go well. Always.

You're 100% right OP.

There shouldn't be a need to put one of them over a higher pedestal than the other, it really can be argued either way, I know I've eaten a lot of crow/humble pie for thinking Ronaldo was finished a couple of years ago.

Lyng

A hat trick to save Argentina’s WC qualifying hopes. Really the greatest to ever play.

Meanwhile Ronaldo today tripping over himself and trying too hard to score. Amazing what happens when the entire squad isn’t set up for him to score tap-ins vs. heavyweights like Getafe.

Messi has proven nothing. He was utter shite last year when the team was not build around him. And he has been utter shite on the national team whenever they are not facing absolute garbage teams like Ecuador.

GOAT would be someone like Zidane or Ronaldinho or Maradona. Never Messi

Cappa

Banned

1)Don't understand why this needed to be a Messi vs. Ronaldo thing.

2)You can't possibly compare Argentinas squad to Portugals.

3)If you want to nit pick matches when you see fit that's fine but Ronaldo has come up big when it mattered including against Barcelona.

4)regardless of being a Barcelona fan, Madrid fan or whatever why can't we enjoy both Messi and Ronaldos talents? Why is there always a need to specifically point out one is better than the other? Makes no sense.

Doc_Drop

why would i joke about this? never played fifa 18? ya don't know! Ronaldo is on the cover. he is 94 rating... he is the best player in the game and they scanned him so they know. EA knows! they scanned messi a few years ago didnt they! so ea knows that ronaldo is better! and truth be told its simple 2+2= 4 minus 1 thats 3 quick maths! its simple really.

i dont get the hype for messi, since Ronaldo has a 94 rating, try playing with them in fifa you understand why ronaldo is better man
You have to be kidding right? You do realise Messi and Barcelona's licensing deal with PES and Konami is why all the above right?

Bersi

Messi has proven nothing. He was utter shite last year when the team was not build around him. And he has been utter shite on the national team whenever they are not facing absolute garbage teams like Ecuador.

GOAT would be someone like Zidane or Ronaldinho or Maradona. Never Messi

Lmao ronaldinho better than messi.

this thread is amazing.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
You have to be kidding right? You do realise Messi and Barcelona's licensing deal with PES and Konami is why all the above right?

after ea chose the superior ronnie messi and uefalona had no choice but to settle for some konami scraps.

RocknRola

Mostly because half of what you said isn't really true. Their assists numbers is fairly close, for someone who "isn't a good passer", for example.

(from June 22nd, 2017)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/messi-v...ed-more-goals-each/1rmmbtlp7fuve1kqs0g6eo7e73

I'll take Diego's Forlan quote as my own:

"We are just lucky to be able to watch Messi and Ronaldo at their best. Enjoy them while they last."

Lionel Messi

The goals of Ronaldo and Pele
The skill and dribbles of Maradona
The vision and passing of Zidane
The elegance of Cruyff

I find it frustrating when people suggest Ronaldo is better just because sometimes he scores as many goals as Messi does. Take away the goals and Messi would still be amazing.

Play him up front and he's the best centre forward in the world. Play him as a left forward and he's the best left forward in the world. Play him on the right and he's the best right forward in the world. Play him as a creative midfielder and he's the best creative midfielder in the world.

For what it's worth, I also think Ronaldo is class and he has easily been the 2nd best player in the world and is definitely one of the greatest of all time. The gap between him and Messi is a lot bigger than some are led to believe though.

RocknRola

Lionel Messi

The goals of Ronaldo and Pele
The skill and dribbles of Maradona
The vision and passing of Zidane
The elegance of Cruyff

I find it frustrating when people suggest Ronaldo is better just because sometimes he scores as many goals as Messi does. Take away the goals and Messi would still be amazing.

Play him up front and he's the best centre forward in the world. Play him as a left forward and he's the best left forward in the world. Play him on the right and he's the best right forward in the world. Play him as a creative midfielder and he's the best creative midfielder in the world.

For what it's worth, I also think Ronaldo is class and he has easily been the 2nd best player in the world and is definitely one of the greatest of all time. The gap between him and Messi is a lot bigger than some are led to believe though.

*Sometimes*

Yes.

*Sometimes*

>.>

It's almost like they're two insanely consistent and good players that get numbers any other player would kill for. Almost.

Top Bottom