• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genres that deserve another shot?

element

What are some game genres that have been lost or aren't being made that should see a return?

Platformers - Crash update has me excited for more games like this.
Action Flight Games - Would be nice to see more games like Crimson Skies.
Party Games - More couch co-op.

Whatever genre old SSX is considered. Track-based extreme sports? Something? I'd be fascinated to see someone take one last shot at that kind of thing.

Fancolors

I wanna see more rail shooters and scrolling arcadey games. Stuff that takes around 30 minutes to beat, but with high replayability.

aaaaaa

I'd like more games in the style of The Fool's Errand -- small puzzles with bits that add to a bigger puzzle.

I would fucking kill for a new, AAA Command & Conquer RTS.

Same here. One of my favorite franchises. Literally just got finished watching a replay of a game in C&C3, even.

Also, city builders, but not necessarily like Cities Skylines - more like Zeus, Caesar III, and Pharaoh. Those were such fun games and it's a real pity there weren't too many more of them.

Sotha_Sil

Tactical shooters and space sims, aka, modern graphics and polish with SWAT 4, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, and Freespace 2 design principles.

HotHamBoy

I wanna see more rail shooters and scrolling arcadey games. Stuff that takes around 30 minutes to beat, but with high replayability.

Man, most rail shooters are the opposite of replayable, IMO.

Rail shooters and beat'em ups were born in arcades and designed around quarter muching. Remove the thrill of trying to hold on to your money and they become very tedious. That's why you don't see them.

Now, you have exceptions like Bayonetta and God of War but they are exceptions because those kinds of games are very difficult to pull off in a way that is deep, engaging and feels good.

I meant side-scroller beat'em ups, but I'll take another God Hand too.

Even worse. We get them, they exist. Vanillaware, Scott Pilgrim, Code of Princess.

What do all three of those examples have in common? The art is easily the best part.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Resistive touchscreen rhythm games.

Elite beat agents should have created a whole genre.

Dead forever now.

Never got Nintendo tunes eba game

Arcade sports games.

I don't know why NBA Jam/NFL Blitz/ MLB Slugfest couldn't be successful if made well today.

Yep. I've always bought them and would buy them again. The new NBA game isn't for me though, I need the crude humor of Slugfest, the violence of Blitz, or the style of Street. Just being an arcadey game isn't enough for me I don't think.

Jawmuncher

Mechanically Complex Third Person Shooter - RE6/Vanquish/MGSV

I need more meat gameplay wise in my TPS. The west ain't cutting it.

Music games. Cos they are pretty much dead in the west. So many amazing music games around.

I say it went downhill when Geoff Keighly said beatmania was a guitar hero ripoff.

Unicorn

Car combat games
Arcade sports
Arcade racers
Powerstone (LASTFIGHT and combat core exist, but aren't the same).
Isometric Racer - off-road RC Pro-Am, etc. Blazerush is amazing but I want more.

Arcade Sports is definitely missing from today's current landscape. They don't pull a lot of hype but I'm willing to bet a new NBA Street with a realistic Budget would sell.

Jimm

Arcade racers like

Burnout, MotorStorm, Blur, Split Second etc.

They are the only racing games I enjoy and there's like none this gen bar maybe Flatout 4

Fancolors

Resistive touchscreen rhythm games.

Elite beat agents should have created a whole genre.

Dead forever now.

Never got Nintendo tunes eba game
Pretty sure those are still around in the iPad thanks to Konami bemanis.

And if you miss EBA that much you could try osu. It's free and playable with mouse and keyboard (although it's recommended you get a drawing tablet or touchscreen for that).

Man, most rail shooters are the opposite of replayable, IMO.

Rail shooters and beat'em ups were born in arcades and designed around quarter muching. Remove the thrill of trying to hold on to your money and they become very tedious. That's why you don't see them.

Now, you have exceptions like Bayonetta and God of War but they are exceptions because those kinds of games are very difficult to pull off in a way that is deep, engaging and feels good.
I disagree. I loved replaying Time Crisis and House of the Dead for the challenge of doing a 1CC run.

Party games for sure.

Even Mario Party, which created the genre, has strayed from the traditional style that made those games so fun.

inky

Whatever Kingdom Under Fire The Crusaders is.

Not to be confused with more hack & slash focused games like DW, the genre I speak of focuses as much if not more on the strategy and tactical aspect by commanding groups of units in an RTS fashion.

GunBR

Light gun games.

The switch has the pointer tech built in to Joycons. Could even port lots of arcade classics.
Came here to say this

When I was a kid I could never buy a light gun, so I could only play rail shooters in arcades
Now that I work and can have one, the rail shooters are dead

Co-op driving/light gun shooter

Wild and Lucky

and to a lesser extent PS2 Starsky and Hutch.

And if we want light gun shooters back, let's start with this underappreciated gem, SEGA's Confidential Mission.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
What are some game genres that have been lost or aren't being made that should see a return?

Action Flight Games - Would be nice to see more games like Ace Combat.

Fixed for you, OP.

Forward

Beat'em ups.

They still get made, but not nearly enough.

If by this you mean games like Streets of Rage, and Turtles in Time, not Anarchy Reigns, then hells to yeah. Straight into my veins. A new Dragon's Crown style, loot-centric one would be epic as well.

Top Bottom