• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anova introduces $99 (or $69) sous-vide device

I do sousvide in my brewing system from time to time. I'd do it more often, but it's kind of a pain to set up for just a couple of steaks or whatever. Been thinking about getting a dedicated machine for more day to day cooking. Looks like this is just the thing.

Thanks, OP.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nah, time it takes for the water to reach target temp and volume of water it can regulate. More wattage, more water. This model is aimed at smaller volumes.
Thank you. Will wait until I get back into the states to check it out. I'm traditional all the way with my steaks but I might try a sous on the low.

Exuro

I assume I can change the shipping info later? Not sure I'll be in my current apartment in October.

It's automatically redirecting to a COMING SOON page. Screenshot would be nice! :)

Again, if this is indeed 700WATT then it's a waste of money/time. I can buy the new one for $100 right now with a $60 off coupon from their website.

70 is still lower than 100. This is basically kickstarter territory. So it depends on how much you like the kickstarter model.

btags

I just got this. I have always wanted to try sous vide stuff and for this cheap why the hell not. My birthday is in october so I will consider this a gift for myself.

Nafai1123

Banned
perfect is subjective, hence the underline.

consistent 'done-ness' doesn't make the steak automatically better,
would you like your bread to have the same structure and taste from crust to centre?

Which is why you sear the steaks after they're done in the sous-vide.

Piggus

perfect is subjective, hence the underline.

consistent 'done-ness' doesn't make the steak automatically better,
would you like your bread to have the same structure and taste from crust to centre?

That's why you finish it on a grill afterwards. You're not supposed to just eat what comes straight out of the bag.

rtcn63

As a lazy person just feeding himself, is this a good deal or should I consider the 900W model instead? At most, I meal prep for a week or two.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
70 dollars feels like a scam for some reason. Not sure how it can be so cheap, but maybe that's just my misconception of the devices being several hundred dollars each typically.

The regular full size Anova is 149.

It works perfectly. I mean, I also have a Thermapen so if it wasn't actually working I would be able to tell you.

That's why you finish it on a grill afterwards. You're not supposed to just eat what comes straight out of the bag.
I don't know. If I'm going to throw it on the grill anyways, I might as well skip the other step. I suppose it makes it dummy-proof, but it seems kind of fussy.

Cerity

I'd rather pony up for the bigger version, if you like sous vide you'll be wanting to try some of the funner stuff.

I did some Lamb shanks & Osso Bucco for last weekend and both turned out amazing. Planning to try out some Ox tail ragout & Beef Bourguignon for the coming sunday

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Apparently you can also do sous vide with some rice cookers. Has anyone tried that?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd rather pony up for the bigger version, if you like sous vide you'll be wanting to try some of the funner stuff.

I did some Lamb shanks & Osso Bucco for last weekend and both turned out amazing. Planning to try out some Ox tail ragout & Beef Bourguignon for the coming sunday

The full-size Anova can do like 4 or 5 steaks at once. It's overkill for most people who bother with sous vide (who generally aren't making stuff for children).

Piggus

I don't know. If I'm going to throw it on the grill anyways, I might as well skip the other step. I suppose it makes it dummy-proof, but it seems kind of fussy.

I mean you can do that, but then you get a very large gradient of doneness throughout the meat. The whole point of sous vide is to have even doneness throughout. You're only supposed to grill it (at very high heat) for under a minute to give the outer edge a good sear.

Sous vide also does a much better job of retaining liquid.

totowhoa

Banned
Nice just bought this. I'll figure out how interested my father is in sous vide. Estimated delivery is October, so I can figure out if I want to keep it for myself or just gift it.

Ooh, I just looked that up and it sounds interesting. What size jars are you using?

I use the ones they list in the recipe-- they're pretty small. If you decide to make them, shave ten minutes off the cook time they recommend and I also liked losing an egg per batch and adding that liquid amount of heavy cream or cheese. Makes for a much nicer consistency!

Philly40

So you're saying that a perfect steak can't be achieved by traditional cooking methods - and sous-vide is always better than non sous-vide?

Piggus

So you're saying that a perfect steak can't be achieved by traditional cooking methods - and sous-vide is always better than non sous-vide?

Not what I'm saying at all. Some people might like the larger gradient. Personally if I'm cooking a steak medium rare, I want more than just the center to be medium rare, especially for something like a filet.

And no, sous vide isn't always better.

hermit7

Ordered only 1, but feel inclined to potentially order a second. The multi feature is awesome.

I have the second gen of the Anova and really it makes cooking so easy and things always turn out perfect.

Sous vide is the way to really make cooking accessible and easy for novices.

Philly40

Not what I'm saying at all. Some people might like the larger gradient. Personally if I'm cooking a steak medium rare, I want more than just the center to be medium rare, especially for something like a filet.

And no, sous vide isn't always better.

Apologies, I was more answering someone earlier in the thread who said it was the perfect way to cook,

What I meant was a lot of food is improved by the different textures throughout - e.g certain roasted vegetables v's boiled vegetables.

A sous-vide steak will obviously always be more consistent edge to edge, but there's lots of people who enjoy that gradient:)

smoothj

Great deal. I picked up the wifi Anova last year. Best kitchen purchase I've made, I'd put it higher than my vitamix for sure.

You can buy the most expensive cut of meat at the supermarket and not have to worry about overcooking it. You can honestly get a top steak at home for a fraction of what you would pay at a restaurant for the same cut cooked to perfection. That to me is the biggest selling point.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I'll say it. Souv-vide steak is always better.
You want the a bigger "gradient" (more overcooked parts), then just sear a little longer.

What if you don't really like steak and you don't like stuff medium rare? Is it still worth it?

I mainly use it for chicken so I say yes.
And you can cook steaks higher than medium-rare if you want by using a higher temp.

Nafai1123

Banned
What if you don't really like steak and you don't like stuff medium rare? Is it still worth it?

You can set the temperature to whatever you want. Basically it cooks whatever you want to whatever temperature you want...exactly....and then leaves it at that temperature. It's the same theory as slow cooking something on low temperature. This is great for lower quality cuts of meat because as the proteins breakdown over time the meat becomes more tender. It's why certain cuts they recommend slow cooking. Same strategy here.

TylerD

Sous-vide cooking changes your life when it comes to making absolutely perfect pork tenderloin. Quick sear on all sides after 3-4 hrs @ 138 is heaven.

Nah, time it takes for the water to reach target temp and volume of water it can regulate. More wattage, more water. This model is aimed at smaller volumes.
The hot water in your kitchen sink reaches about 120 F. Dont think 700W is that big of a dealbreaker

Top Bottom