• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph, 91% of the time

Somnid

It's not just a landmark classifier. They also used VGG-Face, which appears to be a CNN feature extractor, reduced features with SVD and then ran it through logistic regression. This isn't all that different then just running a CNN directly on the image.

And Figure 3 shows what I was talking about regarding the masking thing. It shows parts of the image that are important to the CNN feature extractor.

I understood VGG Face to be the landmark extractor that was taking measurements of control points. It didn't sound like it was pulling out arbitrary features but actually measuring things and was trained independently of the rest of the network for that task. That would make sense because if you want to say that gay people have different nose bridge sizes then it should be obvious by measuring and plotting which can then be classified with a simple logistic classifier. Otherwise I have no idea how you draw conclusions if it's picking all the features for you, you know it's around the nose, but does that mean they have a piercing or lack a mustache or something?

deadlast

This is kinda scary I can see this being used to discriminate

pffffftttt... Discrimination, in America.... What??? Not here. Not against the Gays.

But seriously I would totally use this confirm suspicions. Does that make me a bad person, probably.

Beardz

Furthermore, in an even more rigorously controlled series of experiments published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Rule and his colleagues replicated their discovery that people are able to accurately guess male sexual orientation. This time, the researchers demonstrated that perceivers were able to do this even when they were shown only individual features of the target's face. For example, when shown only the eye region ("without brows and cropped to the outer canthi so that not even "crow's-feet" were visible"), perceivers were amazingly still able to accurately identify a man as being gay. The same happened when shown the mouth region alone.

The link to that study is dead, the article is here:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/something-queer-about-that-face/

They took equal numbers of gay and heterosexual people (3947 heterosexual men, 3947 homosexual men, 3441 heterosexual women, 3441 homosexual women). They were then presented to a neural network in pairs of one heterosexual and one homosexual to train in and get some accuracy statistics. Because the program gave confidence bounds, there is no single convenient precision/recall statistic.

However, here is the relevant part from the study itself:
I see. Thanks for reading the actual paper. It's actually pretty impressive then, given they presented it with equal numbers of heterosexual and homosexual people.

Eridani

I understood VGG Face to be the landmark extractor that was taking measurements of control points. It didn't sound like it was pulling out arbitrary features but actually measuring things and was trained independently of the rest of the network for that task. That would make sense because if you want to say that gay people have different nose bridge sizes then it should be obvious by measuring and plotting which can then be classified with a simple logistic classifier. Otherwise I have no idea how you draw conclusions if it's picking all the features for you, you know it's around the nose, but does that mean they have a piercing or lack a mustache or something?

Figure 5 compares the landmark classifier with the deep learning/CNN one, so they definitely seem like 2 separate things. I didn't look too deep into VGG Face though, so I'm not sure. The masking heatmaps look high resolution enough to rule out small features like piercings. When they talk about the facial contour alone getting good results in the author notes though, that definitely refers to the landmark classifier.

NCSOFT

What? That's not very impressive, if you just guess everyone is straight, you'd be correct 95% of the time.

lenovox1

What? That's not very impressive, if you just guess everyone is straight, you'd be correct 95% of the time.

Here:

They took equal numbers of gay and heterosexual people (3947 heterosexual men, 3947 homosexual men, 3441 heterosexual women, 3441 homosexual women). They were then presented to a neural network in pairs of one heterosexual and one homosexual to train in and get some accuracy statistics. Because the program gave confidence bounds, there is no single convenient precision/recall statistic.

However, here is the relevant part from the study itself:

In fact, I would read the last two pages of this thread. They would probably answer any questions about the methodology of this study that may pop up.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the 9% failure are Kinsey scale 2-4s (roughly 50/50 bisexuals). But things get even more complicated with gender, intersex, etc.

This is kinda scary I can see this being used to discriminate

Unfortunately it probably will be a tool to amplify both understanding and discrimination. Think of culturally conservative high schools using it to out and harass gays, ugh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here:

In fact, I would read the last two pages of this thread. They would probably answer any questions about the methodology of this study that may pop up.

But it's still relevant -- creating a contrived situation where the base rate is lower doesn't mean very much as to the real-world applicability of the technique.

Munti

I'm gay myself (or bi, not sure)
and by my observations and my perception, yes, I have indeed the feeling that not few gays have certain physical traits.

I'm kinda glad that this study maybe confirms that I didn't just imagine that all the time.

N3DS

You know what. This literally proves that being "gay" isn't a "choice". The physical body shows "traits" we may not even notice...and I find that pretty awesome.

Rather than this PROVING that to horrible human beings they would use it against people I suppose....derp.

Like it said, it's not 100%...but I find the things the AI picks up on and uses facinating (and pretty obvious).

90+% is darn impressive.

Yeah the article specifically has a paragraph saying exactly that.

Dice//

Banned
I remember even hearing years ago another one of these weirdly accurate indicators was finger length. So I've heard this before, and it's kind of awesome if there are incredibly nuanced physical indicators that might tell you that you naturally like the same sex. How interesting!

In other words I would guess this isn't a "gay detection machine" you can point at any photo to determine secrets, something that would make politicians or religious people nervous. They're likely not going to look gay to the AI, and will say "nope I'm not gay, see, it works." The people who look gay to the AI are the kind of people who would tell the scientists and researchers "yes, I am gay."

Yeah, for anyone worried that this could be used to out people, keep in mind this is less "gaydar" and more "openly-gaydar".

They actually address this in the author's notes:

Like they say, it's obviously very hard to test on closeted people with a statistically significant sample size, but it's not unreasonable to assume it would work.

I wouldn't be so sure about that - note that what the author's notes are more focused on making sure the images used were not 'especially revealing' due to being on a dating site and even outright admits there's no (ethical) way to actually prove people are who they say they are.

That's not to say the study isn't meaningful or interesting, because it still is, it just means it's specifically about self-identifying gay people, as there isn't any way to account for the fact that people often lie about their sexuality or (here's one that I don't see get brought up much but is actually a lot more common than people think) are unaware of their own sexual orientation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So erm how is this useful to humanity?

Does it have to be? Somethings are interesting to create, just for the sake of. Who knows maybe something good can come from it that was unrelated to the original study.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean, assuming this thing is real, at least statistically, it might demonstrate something that should be a net good:

There is something physical and objectively biological about being gay, rather than just some "sinful choice."

Don't get me wrong, that could equally be used as an evil, but it would objectively eliminate the absurd idea that gay people simply chose to be that way. And further, religious people should be more compelled to believe "God" made these people that way, and that they are his children.

Trying to see something good in this.

PSlayer

Fascinating. But what's the purpose of this research? Just cos?

It is a strong evidence that being gay/straight may not be a thing that you just learn and that people don't born neutral/empty.It basically shows that (at least in part of course) there are biological mechanisms pushing people to certain behaviours. This is basically what the likes of steven pinker were saying for more than a decade now.

Does it have to be?

What an odd bump after 2 weeks of this not having been posted in.

It is a strong evidence that being gay/straight may not be a thing that you just learn and that people don't born neutral/empty.It basically shows that (at least in part of course) there are biological mechanisms pushing people to certain behaviours. This is basically what the likes of steven pinker were saying for more than a decade now.

The post this is in reply to is 16 days old and had numerous responses.

Top Bottom