• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mel Brooks says political correctness is the death of comedy.

Sunster

Comedy changes. "Eddie Murphy would get panned today cuz PC" lots of statements like this but where is the proof?

Lunar15

Care to share what exactly you mean by that?

Comedy that relies on gross stereotypes. It's pretty clear what I mean.

I hear a lot of people saying "Eddie Murphy would get panned today!" Well, yeah. But guess what: he'd probably also change his subject material. Comedy is a lot about timing and delivery, not just the topics.

Inherent in the nebulously ill defined PC culture is ruining comedy argument is the assertion of entitlement. By that I mean the argument inherently boils down to comedians feel entitled to laughter from the audience and if they don’t get it... it is never their fault.

Mel Brooks is a comedic genius. He is absolutely right. If your feelings are hurt over comedy, it's most likely a personal problem. People need to relearn how relax a little bit and try not to be offended by absolutely everything. It's kind of sad that this is where we are at now as a society.

Literally case in point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean Chappelle's show made jokes out of slavery and that was like 10-15 years ago.

Yep!

341f1d74b1bb8e78e00a83816b8bd76f62315663c3157875d876f01ca6049f17.jpg

And remember this.

0.jpg

dave-chappelle-klan.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is a joke lampooning the KKK "politically incorrect" though. Whatever PC has never been a strong argument.

Have you seen any of the discussion about the Confederate statues lately? There are many Americans that stand up for that type of life. They literally say, "heritage not hate".

Raven117

Gold Member
I don't think anything should be out of bounds for comedy.

There are some jokes Id never say, but that doesn't mean its out of bounds for comedy.

Ascenion

And they're racist pieces of shit. What's your point?

Except they aren’t. I’m Black and I’ll defend those confederate statues. They are both heritage and history. They belong in a museum, not destroyed.

On topic: nothing is off limits for comedy aside from what you personally don’t feel comfortable using for material. So I agree with Mel.

Except they aren’t. I’m Black and I’ll defend those confederate statues. They are both heritage and history. They belong in a museum, not destroyed.

On topic: nothing is off limits for comedy aside from what you personally don’t feel comfortable using for material. So I agree with Mel.

They were mass produced pieces of no value built to threaten and intimidate black folk.

Not everything needs to preserved.

Also what is it with the topic of comedy that all of a sudden responsibility goes out the window.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...rrect-society-death-comedy-warns-veteran/amp/

Well there you go, he won’t touch concentration camp jokes but everything is ok. Apparently it’s only pc gone mad if it doesn’t affect you personally.

That era of politically correct is entirely different to the one today. These guys have always had a rational and liberal bend to them.

This guy's old and thinks he's talking about jokes from decades ago. Don't apply his words to today's political climate.

Peltz

Why would anyone want to tell a holocaust joke?
Well... some of them can still be funny. Seinfeld and Curb told a few good light hearted ones and I don't know any Jews (myself included) that were offended.

Like the one where Larry David wanted to get the two "survivors" together on Passover. One was a survivor of the holocaust and the other turned out to be from the show, Survivor. That was just plain funny.

Goliath

Lol...no. Many are statements against the Civil Rights movement. There is no lesson, just a statement to minorities saying "not in my house". Statues are honorary devices not a history lesson, especially when it glorifies lies and misleads the public.

Not everything old is of value and Confederate statues and street names show off ignorance.

Forkball

Here's the line: if it's funny. You can tackle any subject with little backlash if the jokes are good. Obviously there's very litttle leeway with certain topics, so you really gotta make sure what's coming out of your mouth is quality.

Big One

Banned
You can make jokes about anything but it's really all in the execution above all else. Jokes aren't necessarily specifically about making light of issues, sometimse it's about bringing those issues to the forefront that society tends to ignore. Comedy can be some of the heaviest social commentary out there since laughter is one thing that everyone can connect on.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Lol, yes they are. Those statues are literally monuments to racism. The only 'heritage' they're promoting is slavery.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Old people are just awful.
I'd support a version of Carousel even though I'm getting up there myself.

watershed

Banned
Mel Brooks is an extremely talented comdian and comedic writer who can make Blazing Saddles which relies on an unspoken mutual recognition of racism for its humor and a movie like To Be or Not To Be which is essentially a comedic version of Schindler's List. When it comes to comedy and his sensibilities I trust his understanding of what is and isn't off limits and how to handle difficult issues. Who I don't trust with comedy and political correctness are comedians like Bill Maher who thinks nigger is a fine punchline as long as he is delivering the joke.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Why would anyone want to tell a holocaust joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2NqfISm9k
Mel Brooks. He made thousands of dollars doing it.
Exploring the humor in something doesn't diminish it, it allows people to observe it in ways they may not have otherwise. If you're too worried you'll offend someone because a topic seems like it's off limits, you harm yourself and those around you.

Kind of surprised by the confusion here. People are saying that Brooks should not be acting like "political correctness" is killing comedy while acknowledging that some creators have limits they don't want to cross. People have been telling creators from the very beginning of comedy that some of what they do is not funny. Some people found Charlie Chaplin offensive, some people found Joan rivers offensive, but that did not stop them from doing what they do.

Public pressure won't make comedians stop what they're doing, and these days controversy tends to HELP your brand rather than hurt it. I will say though, people do tend to think of the left as un humorous, this is a stereotype that has some truth to it. This is why I tend to enjoy comedians who can use satire to attack ignorance that causes harm to vulnerable people. This generation's version of Eddie murphy wouldn't make jokes where the punchline is that a person is gay. He would make jokes where the punchline is that someone finds homosexuality offensive in this day and age.

Comedy, like language evolves. You can go ahead and make something that isn't "politically correct" but you can't blame political correctness for why people don't find you funny. Your material is not creative, punches down and just isn't funny. If people aren't feeling your jokes, you have to make better ones. I don't know why so many of the people in this thread are ignoring this/missing this.

Not sure why people keep bringing up his age, I mean Girls Trip made what 200million.
Comedies with smutty content are still popular, noone is saying that movie is for sexists pieces of shits.

Ozigizo

They aren't relics. They were put up by the UDC during the Jim Crow era to intimidate black people.

Emarv

I love Mel to death, but certain things just aren't the same as they used to be and that's okay.

Remember that part in Young Frankestein where the monster is about to rape the woman, but then she sees his big penis and decides it's okay? Yeah, Mel. 2017 is different, and I'm happy with that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You can make jokes about anything but it's really all in the execution above all else. Jokes aren't necessarily specifically about making light of issues, sometimse it's about bringing those issues to the forefront that society tends to ignore. Comedy can be some of the heaviest social commentary out there since laughter is one thing that everyone can connect on.

Or how about comedians own their shit?

If they say a joke that gets mega backlash, apologise. There's nothing wrong with admitting you fucked up. Going on the attack defending shitty jokes just makes them look like assholes.

IrishNinja

But isn't that just a form of political correctness? It's not a strawman at all. You literally just highlighted it. Mel Brooks is literally the antithesis to that point. Why should it be about WHO does it, if they handle the material well, as he has done?

yeah, no difference between mel brooks & jordan peele doing it, right? that's why whites on ghost in the shell or let's say black panther is the same film, excellent point

Totally agree. I'd argue that political correctness can ruin much more than comedy but that's a different discussion.

how very suprising

As a card-carrying honorary Milkshake Duck to somebody here, y'all gotta come to agreement on what it means. Getting whiplash here. At this rate, everybody will be a member.

no, just faux-liberal "allies" to minorities fit the bill, so in your instance, yes your point stands

Leatherface

This all day long. Well said. I think this is something many overlook when arguing their case against subjects they find "offensive". Not all comedy is for everyone but if done well no subject is off limits and a lot of times can serve as a strong dose of social commentary.

neoanarch

I love someone asking him how he thinks Chappelle Show would be received today, and his response is that Chappelle would be a fucking billionaire. It's absolutely true.
He'd probably be close to a billionaire now if he hadn't walked away. His contract was ridiculous and his Netflix payday is huge.

It probably depends on the group you hang out with. I know a couple of really uptight people who take offense at pretty much everything, if all I did was hang out with them then yeah I'd probably think "man, fuck these people".

On the other hand you have stuff like Inside Amy Schumer, Broad City, that recent Hot Dog animated movie with Seth Rogan, etc that push way past the limits of what was previously considered taboo. American Dad, South Park, etc all swear regularly now on network TV with no problems. I'd consider Get Out the modern version of Blazing Saddles. The recent Baywatch and CHIPS movies showed a lot of dong.

There probably is an issue with college campuses being filled with ideologues who think they are being progressive in demanding anyone right of them is silenced, but college kids going to extremes is nothing new and usually a internal backlash against them arises naturally, as we are seeing nowadays with Evergreen, Mizzou, etc. Every generation likes to rebel against the core values of the previous generation, the reaction of the next gen to the values of the millennials should be... interesting.

For a true comic, nothing is out, everything is made fun of.

George Carlin is the prime example.

True but also people are allowed to criticize something for not being politically correct. I’ve always believed that nothing should be off the table when it comes to comedy but be prepared for criticism.

Schnozberry

True but also people are allowed to criticize something for not being politically correct. I've always believed that nothing should be off the table when it comes to comedy but be prepared for criticism.

I don't believe Carlin ever said controversial comedy was exempt from criticism. He just said he wouldn't be dictated to about his material, and he wouldn't be shy in defending himself when required.

Leatherface

Privileged comedian upset because he now has to put some thought into his jokes. Quite a hot take.

Haha okay then. That doesn’t even make sense. Privledged comedian? Upset at what? He was telling a joke. Are you just trying to find something to be mad at, at this point?
Also, he’s not wrong..

Top Bottom