• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mel Brooks says political correctness is the death of comedy.

The problem with these “pc gone mad” people is they just want the freedom to offend without any consequences and this is a classic example of it. Why complain about political correctness in comedy and then say this is off limits. He’s basically destroying his own argument. His tragedy is off limits but others shouldn’t be.
Well he is wrong about that bit, nothing is off limits. He is right that political correctness is hurting comedy. I cringe when I hear comedians apologizing for the one person out of 5,000 that was whining and complaining.

Thank God there's still people like Burr and Chappelle that don't give a fuck regardless of how many cries there are and tell the jokes they want to.

legacyzero

Banned
Totally agree. I'd argue that political correctness can ruin much more than comedy but that's a different discussion. But what's also funny is that PC culture can be funny in and of itself and it exists on both sides of the spectrum. The right finds making fun of "them snowflake libruhls!" Hilarious Until you go after religion. Then comes the pearl clutching. This is why there shouldn't be limits. When you start placing arbitrary limits, creative thinking goes down the tubes. George Carlin is a legend, even here on GAF because he did it right.

And I'm surprised to see anyone here enjoy Bill Burr (as do I) based on some of the jokes he tells. Especially about women.

And we got ourselves another milkshake duck
lmao oh stop. Mel Brooks is anything but. There was just a short documentary posted here recently that went in depth about Mel and Nazi jokes. There's a reason, and he nailed it.

As a card-carrying honorary Milkshake Duck to somebody here, y'all gotta come to agreement on what it means. Getting whiplash here. At this rate, everybody will be a member.

Thank God there's still people like Burr and Chappelle that don't give a fuck regardless of how many cries there are and tell the jokes they want to.
God yes. So good to have Chappelle back, and I'm only just diving into Bill Burr's stuff. He's excellent.

zoukka

Monty Python, the best comedy show ever created was largely intelligent humour with little to no easy jokes based on offensive crap.

Go home Mel.

"Political correctness" is an incredibly loaded term that it loses all its context depending on interpretation and mostly misinterpretation.

I hate the phrase because it already becomes preloaded with whatever bias you have.

It has no real meaning at all. If you ask someone to define it, they can't. And if they could by claiming that "it can't be mildly racist or hurtful" or something like that, then everything goes out the window because even making fun of the people who actually deserve it -- insert either Godwin or GOP -- would be impossible. It means nothing.

It could only mean something if you lived in a dictatorship where breaking the political code means death. The only reason the alt-right keeps spreading this useless term is to make people subconsciously believe they're living in one so they are easier to manipulate into denouncing democrat governments and create feelings of frustration.
But then everyone should already know that, because that's literally what happened about a year ago.

It saddens me that Brooks got trapped into using it that way, but his style of comedy is very obvious about what he thought it meant: not being a jerk.

When I think of a very PC comedy show I think of a comedy show I wouldn't watch or go to and wouldn't be very funny in general.

Monocle

Old white guy misunderstands political correctness, news at 11.

It's about not being a dick by smugly adding to other people's piles of misery when they already tower over your own.

It's about asking yourself "am I punching up or punching down?" before you open your mouth.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Aside from his correct statement about he himself not wanting to touch holocaust jokes but anyone else being welcome to (as long as they’re funny and have purpose) I think a general idea of “political correctness” that comedians bandy around now stems from being recorded working out a set and that unrefined material being put online and getting blasted by the face of the joke without understanding the setup/context of where it was coming from. That seems to be the biggest issue in comedy is the audience side not respecting the craft or at least understanding that jokes evolve and mutate over months and sometimes years of work. Everyone loves the meat but they don’t wanna see the cow get slaughtered.

I don't know what this dummy is talking about. Comedy hasn't taken a hit and I think I've heard Jewish comics make Holocaust jokes before. Black comics have slave jokes as well.

Staf

Monty Python, the best comedy show ever created was largely intelligent humour with little to no easy jokes based on offensive crap.

Go home Mel.

Hugh? I though Monty Python was (in)famous for doing controversial comedy. Just look at the reception of Life of Brian back in the 80s.

stilgar

Go home Mel.

Easy jokes and offensive humour are 2 different things. Sadly, talentless people usually replace good jokes with shock value.
Like I said in a previous thread, Louis CK has a fantastic bit abiut pedophilia, and of the greatest moments in the Office UK is about allegations if rape : these are monuments of humour, just made with the right dose of talent.
Bad taste tastefully done is fantastic.

Unless I'm misreading his comments he's saying that he wouldn't make a joke about concentration camps not that the idea of a joke about concentration camps should be off limits. I agree with the basic idea that nothing should be off limits in comedy.

Nothing is off-limits in comedy, criticism included.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
(Haven’t read the whole thread) I think the problem people run into with comments like this is the phrase PC itself doesn’t have an agreed upon definition. I don’t think Blazing Saddles is, for example, the least bit racist or homophobic, but it uses racist and homophobic slurs. That makes it un-PC, but still funny.

I think satirical humor can highlight the absurdities of life, and often that comes at the expense of our most sensitive and poignant moments. Over sensitivity to that can ruin some really revelatory thought experiments. That said, I’m not being “too PC” if I feel the urge to punch a nazi.

I don't really get his point. Here in the UK at least it certainly hasn't affected the craft. I like to catch a few stand ups a year and honestly the boundaries are pushed further each time.

Brooks or some of the US would likely flip their shit if they saw a Jimmy Carr gig by the sounds of it.

Aeana

A reading of his point I agree with is that nothing should be off limits but the actual human tragedy of the victims of oppression. The problem is that the term "political correctness" means fuck all at this point. When a term spans a band of "wild cotton shouldn't be sold as decor" to I just wanted to express my dissatisfaction by saying "let's lynch that n****" and how dare you to correct me, it truly has lost all meaning (even if you have a hard on for Schopenhauer).

A video that makes the point better than I ever will:

Mel Brooks, The Producers and the Ethics of Satire about Nazis
Yes, I came in here with the intent to link this video. Everyone should watch.

Go home Mel.
Opinion, Mine is it''s not anywhere near that funny. Thanks for telling us that that's the only correct way for comedy. I hope you have some other life lessons for all of us.

God yes. So good to have Chappelle back, and I'm only just diving into Bill Burr's stuff. He's excellent.
I still need to see Chappell live :'( I'll do it one day, it will be a travesty if I miss out on his genius live. By the way, you ever listen to Billy boy's podcast? It's hilarious and comes out Mondays and Thursdays. Highly recommended.

Still wish Carlin was alive. It feels like these guys would only get stronger by peoples' complaints.

tumblr_mkwvbt73JR1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Well he is wrong about that bit, nothing is off limits. He is right that political correctness is hurting comedy. I cringe when I hear comedians apologizing for the one person out of 5,000 that was whining and complaining.

Where has comedy died, exactly? Comedy seems to be pushing the envelope more and more while also being more conscientious of the humor it puts out. Political correctness is a buzzword for a lot of people to refer to a movement that has always existed. The new generation that criticizes the old generation of comedy.

Like, I look at BoJack and I see a show made by someone who cares a lot about being PC while also seeing a show that makes me laugh my ass off and one that takes risks. What is the death of comedy, exactly? College students not paying to see Seinfeld?

rackham

Jewish man doesn't think holocaust jokes are ok but sexuality and racism (as long as it's not about Jewish people) are ok. What a fucking moron.

pastrami

Mel Brooks is highly critical of the movie Life is Beautiful because of its use of the Holocaust.

Looked this up, and either his stance has changed, or he is a hypocrit. And to be fair, this interview was from 2006, so his stance very well could have changed.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/a-406268.html

About Life is Beautiful:
Brooks: You have to separate it. For example, Roberto Benigni's comedy “Life Is Beautiful” really annoyed me. A crazy film that even attempted to find comedy in a concentration camp. It showed the barracks in which Jews were kept like cattle, and it made jokes about it. The philosophy of the film is: people can get over anything. No, they can’t. They can’t get over a concentration camp.

SPIEGEL: But the film has deeply moved a lot of people.

Brooks: I always asked myself: Tell me, Roberto, are you nuts? You didn’t lose any relatives in the Holocaust, you’re not even Jewish. You really don’t understand what it’s all about. The Americans were incredibly thrilled to discover from him that it wasn’t all that bad in the concentration camps after all. And that’s why they immediately pressed an Oscar into his hand.

And then immediately afterwards:
SPIEGEL: So there are limits to humor?

Brooks: Definitely. In 1974, I produced the western parody "Blazing Saddles," in which the word “nigger” was used constantly. But I would never have thought of the idea of showing how a black was lynched. It’s only funny when he escapes getting sent to the gallows. You can laugh at Hitler because you can cut him down to normal size.

nded

I love Mel, but his old ass is probably accustomed to an era of comedy where certain segments of the population couldn't even get their more pressing concerns heard let alone complain about jokes.

That said, no subject should be off limits to comedy with the caveat that no comedian should be exempt from criticism. "It's just a joke, bro" should never be a valid excuse for the hateful screed that sometimes masquerades as "humor".

llien

The problem with these ”pc gone mad" people is they just want the freedom to offend without any consequences and this is a classic example of it. Why complain about political correctness in comedy and then say this is off limits. He's basically destroying his own argument. His tragedy is off limits but others shouldn't be.

He is hypocritical in first saying there should be no limits and then calling out such limit (there is an italian comedy Life is Beautiful (oh, it's already been posted) in nazi vs jews setting, by the way, rather heartbreaking one) If that's what he meant (I think it's not).

Yet, saying something offending is what most (all?) jokes are about.

Where has comedy died, exactly? Comedy seems to be pushing the envelope more and more while also being more conscientious of the humor it puts out. Political correctness is a buzzword for a lot of people to refer to a movement that has always existed. The new generation that criticizes the old generation of comedy.
This is horseshit. When you have comedians not going to specific events due to people crying about nothing, or apologizing for doing comedic jokes, it is a problem. Even cases where comedians are trying new jokes before putting it out at comedy clubs where they specifically ask for no cameras (the joke is obviously rough).. then you have some twat recording it, posting it online and start a cry campaign to ask a comedian to apologize about a bit that's not even cleaned up yet.

A lot of top comedians have stated that this hurts comedy overall and some comedians are afraid to go as far as they would, but I guess someone on gaf just knows better than those guys.

Like, I look at BoJack and I see a show made by someone who cares a lot about being PC while also seeing a show that makes me laugh my ass off and one that takes risks. What is the death of comedy, exactly? College students not paying to see Seinfeld?
I literally don't understand the point of this. "I like a funny tv show." Ok?

entremet

I love these threads :)

I don't agree that PCness is the death of comedy, but I do agree that nothing is off limits.

And smh at the ageism in the first page.

East Lake

Looked this up, and either his stance has changed, or he is a hypocrit. And to be fair, this interview was from 2006, so his stance very well could have changed.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/a-406268.html

About Life is Beautiful:

And then immediately afterwards:
Once again the statement should be read carefully. You'll notice he has a problem that the movie makes the concentration camps seem like they weren't all that bad. This is different and separate from, nobody must ever joke about concentration camps.

"I personally would never touch gas chambers or the death of children or Jews at the hands of the Nazis," he told the BBC's Radio 4's Today programme.

"Everything else is ok."

Haha, for real? If that isn't a joke, he just undermined the entire point he was making.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
He didn't say that. You can go to far or handle a subject poorly, but that doesn't mean the subject is off limits, hes pretty clear about that.

Most people preaching what some call political correctness would almost certainly agree with that though. Political correctness at this point is simply a straw man.

I don't actually think "political correctness" is killing comedy. There will always be some small vocal minority that takes offense to everything...but there's plenty of comics who get by just ignoring them.

Bill Burr is doing just fine for himself and he makes jokes about feminists and the like all the fucking time. Louis CK is one of the most prominent comedians working and he's said faggot, nigger, cunt, etc as part of his act. Dave Chappelle is another one who regularly has crossed the line.

The issue is that when you make a joke like that and it doesn't land, you might get called out on it more vocally, but I can't really think of anybody who has had their career ruined, so to speak. Daniel Tosh caught a bunch of shit over a misjudged rape joke...and he still has his show, one of the most popular on Comedy Central. Bill Maher still has his HBO show. Joe Rogan is doing just fine even though he's said plenty of transphobic things. Seth MacFarlane's cartoons rely on cheap stereotypes all the time and they've been trudging along anyway.

So how is political correctness killing comedy or hurting comedians, again? Because people can call them out more easily now? Boo fucking hoo. A movie like Blazing Saddles totally could be made today. It wouldn't be exactly the same, and all of the jokes might not make it through in the same form, but the general substance of the movie would be preserved. I'm just not seeing it.

Tubobutts

Old white guy misunderstands political correctness, news at 11.

It's about not being a dick by smugly adding to other people's piles of misery when they already tower over your own.

It's about asking yourself "am I punching up or punching down?" before you open your mouth.
Yeah what would that Jew know.

Top Bottom