• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transparent |OT| Be Seen. Amazon's Emmy Award Winning series - S4 available now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wow I thought one of the actors in this show was Laurie from The Leftovers but it's a different person... Amy Landecker and Amy Brenneman look very much alike

I knew it wasn't her but it took a while for it to really sink in. They look very similar.

I know Jewish moms like Shelly, but I thought Judith Light played it a biiiiit too arch, especially when juxtapose with Tambor's performance. Also, I was consistently frustrated by Sarah's decisions, but that's sort of the point of her character.

That was one of my main problems with the season too. Shelly was way too over the top - she could easily be one of Fran Fine's relatives.

Are any of Amazon's other original offerings anywhere close to this in terms of quality?

Amazon only has two other shows at the moment - Alpha House and Betas. The latter was cancelled after its first season but Alpha House is returning later this month for its second season. I haven't seen either, but I've heard that both are fairly decent.

Their next series is Mozart in the Jungle (written by Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman!), and it'll air in December. I'm looking forward to it.

kehs

Banned
Just rewatched a few episodes that were really amazing.

If the writers and jeffrey tambor don't win awards for this performance it will be a travesty.

soco

I really enjoyed the first season, though towards the end of the first season I started getting a little annoyed.
It seemed like it became more about the crazy decisions the rest of the family was making and less about Maura. The children aren't really compelling.

Glad it got renewed.

Jokergrin

I really enjoyed the first season, though towards the end of the first season I started getting a little annoyed.
It seemed like it became more about the crazy decisions the rest of the family was making and less about Maura. The children aren't really compelling.

Glad it got renewed.

agree, I find the kids a bit annoying, but anything with Maura is great

- Vox: Transparent creator Jill Soloway discusses her brilliant show’s first season
Transparent, Amazon's remarkable new series about a trans woman beginning her gender transition late in life and the family that (sometimes) loves her, has been hailed as the best new show of the year — if not the best show period. Now that you've likely had time to binge the entire season, I sat down with creator Jill Soloway (who also directed the majority of the season's episodes) to discuss the characters' journeys over the first 10 episodes, why the idea of this family splitting apart is so-called "Schmuck Bait," and the filmmaking inspiration behind the show's remarkable eighth episode. This interview has been lightly edited for length and clarity.

I just started watching this the other day, having watched 4 episodes. It's really damn great. Good to hear there will be another season.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished season 1. I had no idea what to expect going in, thought it was going to be more of a comedy, but this show was fantastic. The writing and dialogue are great, the acting (particularly Tambor's) is fantastic, and all the characters are fleshed out really well, even the minor characters. One of my favorite new shows in a long while. Glad it got picked up for another season.

So far I've been thinking of Netflix as the major player in original content as far as the online services go, but this was better than anything I've seen on there.

I thought it was funny how Josh's son Colton was introduced to the family at the very end but you don't even get to see them find out that he's family.

I ended up pacing myself in an old way. Watched 2-4 on Veteran's Day, life got in the way, and I finally knocked out 5-10 this afternoon .

The show is fantastic. Odd, seemingly from an honest point of view. With comedy, seriousness, and poignancy mixed in too keep it lively.

Towards the end, you really get to see how "bad" or should I say, conflicted and tormented, Maura's children are with their relationships toward each other. Ali, Sarah, and Josh have a wealth of issues. 10 episodes has on!y barely scratched the surface of that.

Grizzo

Finished watching this show the other day. Truly amazing. One of my fav from this year.

Episodes 7 (the
talent show
one) and 8 (the
flashback
one) blew me away.

At first I thought I would hate these characters but I ended up caring about all of them (
I have some low tolerance for most of Ali's bullshit though)
. Plus it gave me a newfound interest in jewish religion and culture through the character of Raquel.

Grizzo

Ali's curiosity and drive for experimentation was maybe a bit too much.

Exactly. I get that she's lost and needs to find her way, but I hope they will think about toning down her character a bit.
And I think she even got really mean towards the end, especially when she told Raquel that Josh was not a guy she should commit with (she didn't actually say that, but she knew what she would accomplish by telling her he slept with a lot of girls before her)

Finished watching this show the other day. Truly amazing. One of my fav from this year.

Episodes 7 (the
talent show
one) and 8 (the
flashback
one) blew me away.

At first I thought I would hate these characters but I ended up caring about all of them (
I have some low tolerance for most of Ali's bullshit though)
. Plus it gave me a newfound interest in jewish religion and culture through the character of Raquel.

For me Josh is the annoying one. I feel like I 'get' Ali.

Grizzo

For me Josh is the annoying one. I feel like I 'get' Ali.

I love Josh! Well, maybe it helps that I think he looks really charming. He sure has some growing up to do, but I'm pretty sure
his son
will (indirectly) knock some sense into him, one way or another.

I don't understand Ali and I was glad Maura
told her how she really felt
in the last episode.

I love Josh! Well, maybe it helps that I think he looks really charming. He sure has some growing up to do, but I'm pretty sure
his son
will (indirectly) knock some sense into him, one way or another.

I don't understand Ali and I was glad Maura
told her how she really felt
in the last episode.

Josh sort of seems like a dimwit to me. But in all honesty I can't really articulate exactly why I find him so annoying, I guess I find his flaws hard to relate to. Like the "addicted to love" thing annoys me more than Ali being a weird hypersexual woman-child fuckup. Ali's kind of a narcissist (I'm glad Maura did that, too) but her character seems more interesting or dynamic I guess.

Grizzo

Josh sort of seems like a dimwit to me. But in all honesty I can't really articulate exactly why I find him so annoying, I guess I find his flaws hard to relate to. Like the "addicted to love" thing annoys me more than Ali being a weird hypersexual woman-child fuckup. Ali's kind of a narcissist (I'm glad Maura did that, too) but her character seems more interesting or dynamic I guess.

See I was under the impression that
Raquel
might be the one who would finally be able to change him, but it seems like I was wrong.
I don't know if we'll see more of her in season 2, but I hope so.

I think we can agree that all of their children are messed up though (Sarah doesn't seem to know what the hell she wants either)! The parents seem to be the most sane people in this family. Though I'm sure Shelly can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

See I was under the impression that
Raquel
might be the one who would finally be able to change him, but it seems like I was wrong.
I don't know if we'll see more of her in season 2, but I hope so.

I think we can agree that all of their children are messed up though (Sarah doesn't seem to know what the hell she wants either)! The parents seem to be the most sane people in this family. Though I'm sure Shelly can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Yeah, I had bad feelings about him and Racquel from the beginning. She was too vulnerable, I felt like I could see it coming.

And I think there's something weirdly toxic about a parasitic 'love' that draws people in so they feel loved. Maybe because that kind of fixation is such that it's easier to dull yourself into a trance, and the other person into your delusion with you (because love is noble, right? And it's what we're all supposed to want? And it makes you feel good and seems sincere? Well...) Ali is more nihilistic, which if you're deluded seems like kind of a mixed blessing, she doesn't have a clear view of her problems but they seem more contained by some combination of self-absorption and self-loathing, except when she turns vindictive...

And yeah Sarah is no prize, either. As soon as the luster of passion seems to be gone from her relationship with Tammy she begins to idealize the person she was just with, because life isn't a party all the time and real people have real problems and flaws.

Yeah the parents by far seem the most likable or well-adjusted. I'm sure things will shift a bit through time though, as real people tend to.

golem

Just finished the season, great show. The kids are really terrible people though, but I must say Josh grew on me by the end of the season. Ali can diaf.

Rookje

Great show, recommended however I felt like some of the characters are not believable. Sarah just ditching her kids and husband with hardly a second thought. Then Len just taking it so well, hanging out with her and talking about their new romances. I get they're all supposed to be self-absorbed, but jeez.

Not to mention none of them work or have jobs. There's hardly any character on the show that someone isn't fucking.

Best part of the show is Jeffery Tambor who is fantastic. Also I liked the mother.

Binged watched it in two days last week. Great show.
REALLLY wanted to see the family reaction to the son being revealed.
Hope we get that next season and they don't skip over it. Any idea when season 2 is supposed to air?

Great show, recommended however I felt like some of the characters are not believable. Sarah just ditching her kids and husband with hardly a second thought. Then Len just taking it so well, hanging out with her and talking about their new romances. I get they're all supposed to be self-absorbed, but jeez.

Not to mention none of them work or have jobs. There's hardly any character on the show that someone isn't fucking.

Best part of the show is Jeffery Tambor who is fantastic. Also I liked the mother.

I really had a problem with the
almost bj scene in the laundry room.

"I'm really in love with this person enough to leave you and our kids... but omg I miss your d, and now i'm willing to risk my new by cheating on my current girlfriend with you
"

I don't think Sarah is a rational or good person. She's as self-destructive as the rest of her family, but in different ways.

Sorry forgot them spoiler tags at first...

Yeah, I know it's part of her character to be selfish... but that scene just really bothered the hell out of me. Guess the show is doing its job?

Season 1 was very good tho.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sorry forgot them spoiler tags at first...

Yeah, I know it's part of her character to be selfish... but that scene just really bothered the hell out of me. Guess the show is doing its job?

Season 1 was very good tho.

She's actually my least favorite of the three, because of this veneer of competence she puts up, when really she's this shallow child who isn't able to think outside of her own skin and situation.

Dalek

I just just finished the pilot and I love Jeffrey Tambor and the music-but I find his kids just insufferable. It's hard for me to watch shows where I don't like the majority of the characters.

Mike M

Nick N
I am entirely confused by the ending of the talent show episode when
Ali goes back to the trans man's house, and its entirely different than how it was the first time she was there. They mentioned it near the start of episode 9, but Ali's friend just brushed it off as something inconsequential and it's never mentioned again for the rest of the season. WTF was that?

Ali goes back to the trans man's house, and its entirely different than how it was the first time she was there. They mentioned it near the start of episode 9, but Ali's friend just brushed it off as something inconsequential and it's never mentioned again for the rest of the season. WTF was that?

She wasn't seeing him as a real person. It mirrored what he said in the car about her being a "chaser".

golem

I dont think we need spoiler tags anymore, but it reflected her expectations of him and his life, rather than the reality (what we see at the end of the night)

Bladenic

Winner of the Golden Globe for best comedy series

Good job Amazon

I honestly think of it as more of a drama but glad it won regardless

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Winner of the Golden Globe for best comedy series

Good job Amazon

I honestly think of it as more of a drama but glad it won regardless

Yeah I didn't really think of it as a comedy either, definitely a drama albeit with some humor. Either way good job to Amazon and the makers of the show, it really is fantastic in many ways.

Dalek

Congrats to Transgender!

I just saw the 7th episode about the talent show. I really can't stand Maura's kids. She's such an incredible character, your heart breaks for her.

Amazon is offering Transparent for free on Saturday.

uWOP3j6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom