• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just beat the game last night. Amazing overall.
The sequel will be great.

Salsa

I played through this during a couple days last week

I enjoyed it. Beat it on one below Uber.

It's definetly worth a playthrough but I dont feel like it was anything AMAZING, and the ending was awful.

Looked pretty ugly at times too, great character models tho.

liked it

Dries

Sooo, about that choice in the beginning:

when you have to choose who Deathshead kills (Wyatt or Fergus). I chose Fergus.

How does this choice affect the game? Or is they're a "better option"?

DieH@rd

Banned
Sooo, about that choice in the beginning:

when you have to choose who Deathshead kills (Wyatt or Fergus). I chose Fergus.

How does this choice affect the game? Or is they're a "better option"?

That choice determines what kind of upgrades you can find on the maps [permanent health vs armor upgrades], very small story changes, and the presence of a single NPC [both are great].

I chose Fergus to live on my 1st playthrough, and he was GREAT during campaign. Wyatt is ok-ish after he survives, but his NPC is better than the other one.

Wtf. This game is actually pretty awesome.

Is Doom as good a revival as this?
I personally didn't like Doom.

I loved the Originals but the new one felt flat. I need to give it another chance but I feel its just tryinbtoe hard.

I was more impressed with the New Order and the Old order.

Pick up the Old Order if you haven't. It gets silly halfway through but overall was a great game.

New Order and Old Order are the best single player FPS this gen so far for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wtf. This game is actually pretty awesome.

Is Doom as good a revival as this?

Doom is focused on different things.

W:TNO is a modern successor of Half Life, an amazing singleplayer narative game that did not compromise on gameplay, worldbuilding, charachters, or anything else.

Doom on the other hand... is a shotguns and cyberdemons with a pacing of a Fury Road on crack.Gameplay to the max, with suprisingly good story that is not shoved in the face of the player.

Both represent the different kind of FPS game, and both are marvellous. We also recently got the the third kind of FPS [totally stealth & exploration focused] that stands shoulder to shoulder with them, Alien Isolation.

I personally didn't like Doom.

I loved the Originals but the new one felt flat. I need to give it another chance but I feel its just tryinbtoe hard.

I was more impressed with the New Order and the Old order.

Pick up the Old Order if you haven't. It gets silly halfway through but overall was a great game.

New Order and Old Order are the best single player FPS this gen so far for me.

Old blood?

I mean the new order is completely ridiculous throughout.

v1oz

Doom is focused on different things.

W:TNO is a modern successor of Half Life, an amazing singleplayer narative game that did not compromise on gameplay, worldbuilding, charachters, or anything else.

Doom on the other hand... is a shotguns and cyberdemons with a pacing of a Fury Road on crack.Gameplay to the max, with suprisingly good story that is not shoved in the face of the player.

Both represent the different kind of FPS game, and both are marvellous. We also recently got the the third kind of FPS [totally stealth & exploration focused] that stands shoulder to shoulder with them, Alien Isolation.

Are you honestly getting Half Life 2 vibes from this game? Half Life 2 has a more serious tone and more depth in character development. Wolfenstein is so over the top with its nazi stereotypes and its execution that you can't take it seriously. I recently finished the game to be honest my own impression was that the storyline is hot garbage but the game isn't taking itself too seriously . Between TNO and TOB the main character just gets captured and violently tortured over and over again. You would think after the third time he gets away they would learn their lesson.

clav

Completed this game.

Too many video cutscenes.

Too many fetch quests.

Unsatisfying ending.

Press button to pick up items was annoying as fuck. I thought I was playing Bioshock Wolfenstein edition.

Difficult enemies were all bullet sponges. After playing Halo games (especially most recent one), this seems like a stepback as players don't have any visual feedback whether they're doing something right or wrong.

I thought combat felt awkward on a controller. I hated the rotational weapon UI as I had to plan out combats with two weapons first and then scramble to find a third/fourth weapon since the game doesn't pause nor slow down. Peek around the corner didn't really do well as I just abused it to win against a terribly programmed AI.

PC version has odd bugs like cutscene dialog not in sync when game is alt tabbed at least once in game.

Soundtrack was hit or miss.

I think I'll find Doom 2016 much enjoyable.

I appreciate elements of the original Wolfenstein 3D used in boss fights and some enemy designs + sounds. Even enjoyed the little easter egg in the clubhouse although disappointed at the enemy shooting was not faithful to the original.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Sorry to bump this.

I remember reading a month ago about a PC patch that fixed idtech5 engine on this game. It added 144hz support and many other fixes. But I cant find anything.

Does anyone know anything about this?

thanks

Bought this as it was only a few quid on the PSN.

Loving it so far. Just done the 1st chapter. Sound mix is awful though, especially on the PS headphones. Can't hear mush of the voice acting which I've heard is pretty good.

Just finished it, what a game.

My only complaints are the enemy ai (played on normal, don't know if they are smarter on higher difficulties) and having to pick everything manually (health and armor I can understand, ammo is too much).

Other than that it's fucking amazing.

Paganmoon

So they game has been in my Steam catalog for a while and figured it's about time I give it a go. Unfortunately I realized quickly (about an hour and a half in) that I've got a hard time playing ID Tech 5 games (had the same issue with the new Doom), am feeling nauseous as hell. Man, I used to love playing Quake and Doom, feeling so damned old now...

Is there any way to disabled the headbob?

Saya

Picked this up for 10 bucks last week and just finished the Wyatt campaign. Amazing game. I loved it. The writing, voice acting, and world building is fantastic. Loved the characters and the action. The last few chapters were a bit monotonous compared to earlier ones, but for 10 bucks I can't complain. Great game. Looking forward to New Colossus. But first I'll do another run through the game in the Fergus timeline.

Paganmoon

Really want to keep playing this game, but holy hell, it's one of the worst PC ports I've played in the past few years. V-sync does not work and I'm getting crazy tearing on a GTX 1080, (coupled with Core i7 6700k), there's no in-game setting for AA, and setting it via console doesn't apply to all aliasing, so I'm getting jaggies and shimmering. framerate is capped at 60. Add to that there's no in-game way to disable head-bob, and console command can bug crouching, and aiming down sights. I mean, there aren't exactly ini-tweaks and working console commands to fix most of this without breaking something else, as one would sort of expect from a PC-game even.

Pretty sad for a franchise with such a PC-centric history.

Top Bottom