• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda and 3 and a half under-performing games in a row

kmax

They're zero daying reviews, they're black listing sites, they're not marketing their games nearly enough. I'm not seeing features in articles neither.

The writing is on the wall. You need to sell your games, and they've not done a good enough job on that department.

MissChief

and I doubt Quake Champions will perform any better, it's still early access, but virtually no buzz online ...

A shame, Bethesda is one of my favorite studios this generation

Valahart

Their brazilian pricing is absolute BS. They are by far the most expensive at launch, it's ridiculous, and I'm sorry but I'm glad it's not paying off for them.

Except that about 6 months after launch, when the interest has dropped to zero, the base price drops to 40% of what it was. And at this point we might as well wait for a 50% off sale. Kind of gives away that they don't know what they are doing around here.

I inevitably buy their games at 80% off the launch price, generally at the same year they are launched, so yeah.

Perhaps they'll reconsider their stupid review policy now?

I think that is only a small factor but it's still ridiculous. As others have said their marketing has been really poor too, I didn't realise Prey was out until the day it released and The Evil Within 2 created very little buzz. There's also the issue that Prey and Dishonored seem to be in a genre that just doesn't sell anymore, see Deus Ex as further proof. Horror games aren't exactly know for being a big-seller either. Will be interesting to see how Wolfenstein does as that has had more of a push and is a more appealing genre.

Krooner

They've dropped a fiver off the pre-order prices here in the UK (£40-£35) doesn't bode well given the performance of the others... Maybe retailers are getting cold feet.

kingkenny76

Prey and Evil Within 2 were both day one games for me....until lack of pro support came out.

After investing in a new tv and pro I will not support games that ignore the ps4 pro.

Sucks but I have to vote with my wallet.

Both Dishonored 2 and Prey had performance issues on PS4 Pro at launch. That was enough to prevent a Day 1 buy from me, and by the time the games were patched, the next big thing worth $60 had arrived.

Games need to arrive bug free and with solid perforance on Day 1. There’s no excuse to expect people to pay full price at launch, then wait a couple weeks for the final patches to hit and iron out any issues. There’s simply too much competition.

Yeah, I was day 1 until I read about their support for the Pro.

Their review policy hobbles reviewers from giving them free advertising. Arkane is consistently putting out GotY material that deserve both critical and financial recognition. Dishonored 1 had a pretty massive marketing push that I didn't see for Dishonored 2.

Maybe that's because D1 underperformed?

Given how ridiculous a lot of marketing budgets are for many games this generation, as long as Bethesda themselves aren't coming out and decrying these titles as abject failures, it seems to me to indicate their strategy is to spend conservatively on these game's marketing budgets and let them grow naturally through word of mouth.

Imho, neither Dishonored nor Prey seemed like games with broad consumer appeal. To me they're the types of games to appeal to the core gamer and traditional PC gamer demographic. In which case, it makes sense to me to launch these titles against moderate marketing investment and allow WOM to drive a more organic groundswell among enthusiast gamers.

I hardly think Bethesda will stop making these types of games, especially when they continue to be so well received critically.

Their review copy policy though is ass-backwards.

jettpack

Such a bummer. Prey and Dishonored 2 are some of my favorite games of the past couple years. Prey in particular is INCREDIBLE. Didnt Doom and Wolfenstein the New order do well for them? And they re released Skyrim like 10 times right?

EhoaVash

I can see why Dishonored 2 bomb'd. Such a niche genre.

But evil within 2 bombing is a surprise. I mean it's like the only "Halloween" game out this month. And released on Friday the 13th too
Not to mention the game has that Resident evil itch that was missing from RE7

I honestly don't watch TV, but with how big shadows of Mordor is selling ( which I heard had a big tv marketing campaign) Bethesda should take a look

KonradLaw

Imho, neither Dishonored nor Prey seemed like games with broad consumer appeal. To me they're the types of games to appeal to the core gamer and traditional PC gamer demographic. In which case, it makes sense to me to launch these titles against moderate marketing investment and allow WOM to drive a more organic groundswell among enthusiast gamers.

Well, I think it will work somewhat on PC at least. Dishonored 2 is close to milion copies on PC, Prey close to half a milion and I think they will continue to sell decently for years on the platform, but Bethesda probably wanted a lot more and a lot faster

O.DOGG

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read the (possible) low sales numbers for The Evil Within 2 on Steam. Such a shame, as Bethesda games have been consistently great to outstanding over the past two years. I really hope we're not witnessing the death of AAA single player games.

Rathorial

I would be surprised if Bethesda keeps up the no review codes before release policy, at least for their smaller franchise games that aren't Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout and Elder Scrolls proper. It hurts whatever groundswell of hype they can develop, and makes little sense in the age where s reaching as many streamers/youtubers is important for success. Even Ubisoft's blandest Tom Clancy game of the year, was paid to be lit up by steamers all over Twitch, reviewed as mediocre, but outsold most other games this year.

Dishonored 2 should've released earlier in the year like the 1st entry, and Prey deserved an actual marketing campaign with a name that only caused confusion or annoyance. I'll be bummed if Arkane gets negatively effected in the future because of this.

Wolfenstein marketing was the only one on-point from the start, and events in the real-world are only making it easier for that game to make the bank it very likely will.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read the (possible) low sales numbers for The Evil Within 2 on Steam. Such a shame, as Bethesda games have been consistently great to outstanding over the past two years. I really hope we're not witnessing the death of AAA single player games.
If they were smart they'd be selling games like Dishonored and Evil Within sell for ~$45 and we'd see the return of the AA/Mid-Tier game.

mario_O

Evil within 2 is a 60€ game on Steam. That's a tough sell. Also, you need a monster PC to run it. Performance is abysmal. Dishonered 2 also ran like crap.

phant0m

It's almost like their policy of only sending games to streamers and not reviewers and not doing any other marketing is not working out for them

Prey was fucking brilliant btw and this makes me sad

Prey has been my favorite of 2017, and that’s with strong competition from BotW, H:ZD and RE7 in VR. Recently been enjoying TESO: Morrowind as well.

I would be surprised if Bethesda keeps up the no review codes before release policy, at least for their smaller franchise games that aren't Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout and Elder Scrolls proper. It hurts whatever groundswell of hype they can develop, and makes little sense in the age where s reaching as many streamers/youtubers is important for success. Even Ubisoft's blandest Tom Clancy game of the year, was paid to be lit up by steamers all over Twitch, reviewed as mediocre, but outsold most other games this year.

This is a great point.

Dishonored 2 should've released earlier in the year like the 1st entry, and Prey deserved an actual marketing campaign with a name that only caused confusion or annoyance. I'll be bummed if Arkane gets negatively effected in the future because of this.

You're right. Prey encountered a cavalcade of issues, with the first being IP confusion among customers. I think that in 2017, slapping the name of a beloved cult classic game on an entirely unrelated and obviously new IP release, isn't going to fool anyone.

Couple that with the clusterfuck that was Bethesda's handling of the originally announced Human Head Prey 2 game (which looked fantastic and had much broader appeal), I think Arkane really had their chips stacked against them by their own publisher with Prey.

Wolfenstein marketing was the only one on-point from the start, and events in the real-world are only making it easier for that game to make the bank it very likely will.

I agree with this and I very much hope and expect Wolfenstein to buck the trend and be a runaway success for Bethesda. It's exactly the type of game to delight and entertain gamers. If it's anything like the first one and the expansion it will see rave reviews, and it's also coming in a climate where, so long as Bethesda's marketing dept. know what their doing (and they've certainly shown that they have), the marketing will almost literally drive itself.

aeolist

Banned
i have to think the d2 pc numbers would be at least somewhat better if the port hadn't been so ungodly awful

personally i loved the first game and was really looking forward to the sequel but have skipped it entirely due to the performance problems that as far as i know never really got fixed

It hurts to watch them flop. More so because they also don't have any BS like lootboxes.

Great games, glad Bethesda funded them but they need more marketing.
I think they think it's too pricey for the payoff to advertise it. Shame though considering dishonored 2 looks dam great

Pennywise

It's a real bummer. Triple A games with a pure focus on SP are getting rare.
Yup.

They're zero daying reviews, they're black listing sites, they're not marketing their games nearly enough. I'm not seeing features in articles neither.

The writing is on the wall. You need to sell your games, and they've not done a good enough job on that department.

Yup.
Another thing are those immense price drops happening with their games, which is certainly playing a role.
People just know that it's not gonna take to long until their at half the price or even less.

Still purchased their games on day 1, despite knowing it.
Every game was worth it, and I'm glad I waited on other games like Mass Effect Andromeda to pay less than half.

The sim genre is dead.
I'd like to see Arkane's talent and skill applied to something completely different and sorry to say it, a bit more mainstream.

I appreciate the SP only efforts all the same.

Bethesda are pumping out some of the best games in the industry right now. It blows my mind to see games like those under perform. It's crazy.

Totally agree and the topic is a good one because raises this question for a company that is well known!
My perception is that their marketing is really not pushing anything seriously apart ES and Fallout.

Ahasverus

But evil within 2 bombing is a surprise. I mean it's like the only "Halloween" game out this month. And released on Friday the 13th too

I honestly don't watch TV, but with how big shadows of Mordor is selling ( which I heard had a big tv marketing campaign) Bethesda should take a look
The problem is that...there was no missing itch on RE7 and that one might be actually more effective as a SH, and it's heavily discounted by now.

Fiendcode

The problem is that...there was no missing itch on RE7 and that one might be actually more effective as a SH, and it's heavily discounted by now.
There was. There’s a reason RE7 halved sales from RE5/6.

That said, it’s also not an itch TEW really scratches either.

Perhaps they'll reconsider their stupid review policy now?

Man no one realizes that they gave out advance code for TEW2 to reviewers (though later than they should have) and provided a "normal" day before release embargo as well.

No idea if this was a one-off or if that will be policy moving forward. We should know next week when/if Wolftenstein reviews hit.

Kthulhu

As others have said, they need to market their games more. Skyrim Remastered at every other E3 conference and yet I'd didn't even know half of these games came out when they did.

Evil Within 2 may also be due to the original not being well received.

Surfside

Banned
The combat in Prey isn't fun, it's one of the most common complaints (aside from the dismal sound mixing). Personally I found it middling at best until the last 2 hours where it just became extremely tiresome.

I found the combat quite enjoyable, especially later on. But i give you the sound mixing.

OléGunner;252262493 said:
I'd like to see Arkane's talent and skill applied to something completely different and sorry to say it, a bit more mainstream.

I appreciate the SP only efforts all the same.

But that's their raison d'etre. Since their first
game, they always tried to immerse the player into the worlds they created. They mostly do it with mechanics they create specificly for their games.

Like in Arx Fatalis, they let you draw signs if you wanted to cast a spell.

In Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, it was the superb first person mode, with the effects like a shaking cam that made you believe you were that person.

Immersion is their bread and butter. And i love them for it.

Maybe that's because D1 underperformed?

Given how ridiculous a lot of marketing budgets are for many games this generation, as long as Bethesda themselves aren't coming out and decrying these titles as abject failures, it seems to me to indicate their strategy is to spend conservatively on these game's marketing budgets and let them grow naturally through word of mouth.

I hardly think Bethesda will stop making these types of games, especially when they continue to be so well received critically.

Their review copy policy though is ass-backwards.

Their review policy is the most fixable thing for me. It's free marketing and buzz generation if the game is good.Only hurts bad games so if the publisher has faith in the product, it's a no brainer to me. Otherwise it just gives off a "What are they hiding?" vibe except they are really just hiding great games from being seen.

Tomma17

Neo Member

Friday the 13th was like 4 days ago....so TEW 2 has been out for like 4 days people, 4 days ......

gypsygib

Zero marketing and no pre-launch review codes (which is also free marketing) can't help. Weird things about the pre-launch review codes is that their games are very good, they would generate hype by allowing reviewers to talk about them prior to launch.

Are we sure the games are underperforming? I mean, lack of marketing could mean that Bethesda saves a ton of money on marketing costs.

Tigress

Bethesda have been knocking it out of the park when it comes to meaty single player AAA games and it sucks to see them not selling well. Doom, Prey, Dishonored 2 / Death of the Outsider, and now Evil Within 2 are all great. If you don't support games like this then don't be surprised when you see more games with tacked on multiplayer, microtransactions and loot crates.

Tacked on mp? Try single player tacked on instead (as in sp is an afterthought to many games now and I foresee that happening to rockstar games even now that they've seen how profitable gta online is).

Zojirushi

I'm pretty sure these big media marketing campaigns cost like tens of millions of dollars so you need to be sure to sell a buttload of additional copies you wouldn't have otherwise to go that route. I don't think D2 is a game that would've benefited in such a huge way so maybe keeping the PR cost to a minimum and let sales creep up over time isn't even that bad a strategy?

xviper

Bethesda games marketing depends on the hype of the fans, Fallout 4 didn't need marketing, the fans marketed the fuck out of the game to the point that it sold tons of copies even though it's probably the biggest disappointment in history considering the amount of hype it got and how the game actually was

Dishonored 2 deserved even lower sales, it was one of the most lazy "sequels" i have ever played

J2d

I would probably have bought something from that lineup but since they all(dishonored expansion aside)seem to have issues on pc I stayed away.

But that's their raison d'etre. Since their first
game, they always tried to immerse the player into the worlds they created. They mostly do it with mechanics they create specificly for their games.

Like in Arx Fatalis, they let you draw signs if you wanted to cast a spell.

In Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, it was the superb first person mode, with the effects like a shaking cam that made you believe you were that person.

Immersion is their bread and butter. And i love them for it.

I get what you mean, it's their USP for you hardcore fans.
But they need to mould it into something more palatable for mainstream audiences I think, unless Bethesda is happy to finance their creative visions with no real big hits in the bank (which would be commendable, Fallout and Skyrim probably help things keep ticking).

Having said that and probably contradicting myself, didn't Dishonoured 1 perform decently?

El-Suave

Maybe they need more traditional long marketing cycles for most of their games - announcing shortly before releasing obviously worked for Fallout, but those other games are not Fallout apparently.

Kill3r7

OléGunner;252268862 said:
I get what you mean, it's their USP for you hardcore fans.
But they need to mould it into something more palatable for mainstream audiences I think, unless Bethesda is happy to finance their creative visions with no real big hits in the bank (which would be commendable, Fallout and Skyrim probably help things keep ticking).

Having said that and probably contradicting myself, didn't Dishonoured 1 perform decently?

Dishonored was a pretty big hit. It exceed their sale expectations and was the biggest new IP in 2012.

Ponchito

It’s a damn shame. They do have terrible marketing and the review policy has definitely affected their games.

Also I undrrstand long tail sales are more relevant nowadays so hopefully they will catch up a bit over time.

Top Bottom