• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra Credits

Poyunch

I thought I might start this thread since I haven't seen it on GAF yet. It's sort of like Zero Punctuation except instead of game reviews it's more about games and the game industry.

Just to recap it first started out as a series of Youtube videos but has now found a fitting new home on The Escapist.

A new one should be popping up later today.

AniHawk

Oh, he's one of those "expand our medium into ART" guys. I think I'll always be on the opposite side of people like him. Guess that comes from my math background vs. his art background though.

Kritz

Banned
Huh, actually kinda good. Decently written and spoken (even with the odd voice effect), and the animation is kind of charming in its own way.

Sure, the videos don't exactly present anything new to think about. But it still has that nice feeling of someone independently thinking the same thing wot you think and then making a funny internet video about it sometimes with cats. (note: there are no cats)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Saw the one featuring about the women audience in videogames with Leigh Alexander months ago and it was fine. The morality one was more interesting, though.

etiolate

Banned
These are cute, conversational videos dealing with issues discussed in game studies.

The moral choices video reflects the complicated nature of the design problem. It also reminds me of an article, and something I wrote based off the article(but not going to pimp myself).

This is the original article: http://www.pbs.org/kcts/videogamerevolution/impact/myths.html

It's myth #6 that made me think of good and evil in games. The point that good is often not as fun or rewarding as evil is something I've repeatedly noticed.

Many early games were little more than shooting galleries where players were encouraged to blast everything that moved. Many current games are designed to be ethical testing grounds. They allow players to navigate an expansive and open-ended world, make their own choices and witness their consequences. The Sims designer Will Wright argues that games are perhaps the only medium that allows us to experience guilt over the actions of fictional characters. In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist when they cross certain social boundaries. But in playing a game, we choose what happens to the characters. In the right circumstances, we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.

Games are adding ethical choices, and I agree games can perhaps better convey guilt over actions more-so than other media, but I do not think we're anywhere near there yet as having achieved that conveying of guilt. Rockstar's games have messed around with this. RDR does far better with this than the GTA games did, which never really took being 'good' into the greater design of the game.

I think the reason there is a struggle with the concept of moral choices is because designers are afraid of scaring the player away from the game. If, by the Extra Credit video suggests, they go and make the moral choice much harder, will most people simply take the easier path just to complete the game? You want the choices to be hard, but you still want the options available to be attractive. If killing the little girl gives you power and saving her just gives you a bouquet of flowers, the game rules sort of push you towards evil, since power helps you finish the game more than a smiling girl.

So risk and reward make creating hard choices difficult.

this guy sounds like a character from South Park, dunno if that is a good or bad thing

watching the moral-one now

edit: Pretty good and interesting actually

NeoForte

AniHawk said:
i'm glad he's talking about how a story is told in an interactive medium can be improved he really needs to drop the "art" stuff before I turn this car around and there'll be no Cape Canaveral for anyone.

He's not gonna drop it though :/

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
You're freaking me out. :O Oh and when I saw that awesome Mega Man avatar in the Other M thread I didn't notice it was you. :lol
I'm joking about the guy that was viraling that DSiware game earlier.

bounchfx

jersoc said:
, FFS mass effect blatantly has the good and evil in the same spot every. single. time.
hide those answers better and show no immediate effect.

they did that intentionally so you could react without having to actually look at the wheel, but instead base it off of how you felt. It would be pretty dumb to have them arranged otherwise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is thoughtful stuff and I appreciate that someone is making the effort to put this out there. But what's with the voice-altering filter? The narrator looks like a cartoon, but doesn't speak like one, making the voice completely incongruous and distracting. It seems like maybe the creator is afraid of people hearing his(?) real voice for some reason.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
This is thoughtful stuff and I appreciate that someone is making the effort to put this out there. But what's with the voice-altering filter? The narrator looks like a cartoon, but doesn't speak like one, making the voice completely incongruous and distracting. It seems like maybe the creator is afraid of people hearing his(?) real voice for some reason.

In one of the vids his real voice slips through for a second.

All you people agreeing with the morality video should go play Alpha Protocol.

Does exactly that. There is no 'good' or 'evil', there's only how people think of you.

People thinking badly of you isn't a bad thing in gameterms.

Poyunch

Free Speech

He should've stuck with game design. I don't really like this one. I understand why he's worried but I agree that until the age of 18 a person may not have the mental capacity to make smart decisions. Isn't that the whole point of the age of 18 commonly being the age when you're legally an adult?

He talks about people who want video games to "become something more, something better" who should decide such matters. The thing is the average child doesn't care about such a thing.

Don't let them buy rated M games (without parental consent/supervision).

PounchEnvy said:
Free Speech

He should've stuck with game design. I don't really like this one. I understand why he's worried but I agree that until the age of 18 a person may not have the mental capacity to make smart decisions. Isn't that the whole point of the age of 18 commonly being the age when you're legally an adult?

He talks about people who want video games to "become something more, something better" who should decide such matters. The thing is the average child doesn't care about such a thing.

Don't let them buy rated M games (without parental consent/supervision).
I've always felt that there should be laws restricting what you can and cannot do, what people can and cannot do to you for everyone from the ages of birth to 18, with parents able to give their consent to override these rules in some cases (i.e. purchase/viewing of movies, purchase of video games, stuff like that.) Unless the parent says it is OK, I don't think kids should have access to violent video games and movies and no, I don't want to hear about how you played GTA III or Halo as a kid and turned out OK because there are kids who have no business playing these games and there are legitimate reasons for this (Mental disorders, a history of violence/abuse, inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality) and those parents cannot monitor their kids 24/7 and contribute to society, so they do need help.

That being said, I firmly believe that an outright ban is not the answer. I feel that the ESRB's ratings and retail store ID checks upon purchase of said games is as much as we can do and it seems to work OK for movies and music.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The God of War video was perfect. Exactly how I felt about the story.

Poyunch

DLC/Project Ten Dollar

You know for a while I was getting tired of these videos because it seemed to be going down a trend of masturbatory speeches about how games are awesome. This is better though. It's brief but at least the feature's focusing again on improving the industry.

Salsa

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Easy Games The episode never managed to even address what the questions were really referring to, lame stuff. Probably will stop watching soon.

They have a point though, what they say is true.

Some are better than others, but i mostly enjoy all of these.

Haunted

hey_it's_that_dog said:
yeah :(

Makes it really painful to listen to for me.

SalsaShark said:
They have a point though, what they say is true.

Some are better than others, but i mostly enjoy all of these.

It's true, but it annoys me when gaming shows/podcasts say they're going to answer reader mail and then just divulge into another topic that is somewhat based on the topic people were talking about. Weekend Confirmed does this every single time on every single reader mail session and that's one of the reasons why I quit listening.

Kritz

Banned
I know this guy is a little redundant and slightly odd in his thoughts and opinions, but whatever. The videos are cool and I always look forward to them. I enjoy hearing people's thought on game design aspects, regardless of if they match my own.

I did feel like this latest video didn't properly address the question, but it did a decent job at addressing other, similar questions. Kinda.

Maybe it just needs more cats.

Top Bottom