• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you should lock your doors at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why people don't lock their doors. It takes so little time and effort and could save you from being robbed.

I used to not lock my car door at night because I didn't think there was much value inside. Then someone jacked the stereo out of it and I had to go spend $100 on a new one. It's so fucking easy to lock your doors people. If you never get robbed, great, but if you do, you will be wishing you locked your doors.

Yes, I know a locked door doesn't deter every thief, but if people know you leave your door unlocked you will be the first person they try to burglarize.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
When Michael Moore said people in Canada don't lock their doors, I laughed.

I lock my doors all the goddamn time.

Goron2000

best junior ever
lol @ Google Ads
imgad

Tarazet said:
My dad is an obsessive door-locker.. and we lived in a neighborhood that was so safe, even the deer weren't afraid of anything. He would lock the door if I went out to get the mail. :lol And I've picked it up..

:lol

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
That's one of the things I really like about the 3 other roommates I have, they all lock the door on their way out, regardless of what time it is.

Pimpwerx

Salazar said:
I don't know how people get it into their minds to break into houses. I am perhaps equally baffled by people with bonehead catchphrases.
Not this shit again. Get over it, for everyone's sake. PEACE.

soco

wtf. we're on the second page and we haven't seen the colored person outline photos?

wasn't that also the result of someone having stumbled into someone else's apartment and just passing out?

CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't understand why people don't lock their doors. It takes so little time and effort and could save you from being robbed.

Well i feel pretty safe and dont know anyone who had their house robbed. I dont really care how silly that seems but I just really dont care and i feel safe enough to let my door be unlocked at all times, if someone really wanted to steal my ps3 or pc he would just break a window or my really shitty backdoor (i think you can get your fist through that one easily).

If i lived in a big city I would probably lock it but i dont.

Why... why don't some of you lock your doors?

You say it like you're proud that you don't lock your door but wtf is the point? Do you think the fact that you don't have to spend literally a second flicking a deadbolt to walk out of your house makes your life easier? I mean, even if you just have a shitty lock built into your door knob - it's already there - use it!

My parents used to not lock their doors. I've also lived in several houses where we never locked our doors (which was probably pretty dumb since we were growing pot in one of them

This reminds me of my brother. He'd be the attacker though...

Salazar

Pimpwerx said:
Not this shit again. Get over it, for everyone's sake. PEACE.

Blah. First time I've noticed it.

I sometimes don't lock the doors to the balconies of my apartment. You'd have to make a moderately death-defying climb to get up there, and you'd be doing so without knowing that the doors were unlocked. I usually keep them closed, but that is done more in mind of possums than thieves. A possum will obliterate a house more efficiently and entirely than a thief.

Coins

Banned
Moved into a new apartment in 2004. The first week we are there someone tries to open my door on several nights but its locked. Guess whoever it was didnt know I have a German Shepherd and neurotic Newfoundland. My wife was out of town about a week later for a week and I left the front door unlocked with some nice electronics on the coffee table and just waited. On the third day, its about 11pm and Im walking into the kitchen when I hear the door knob. I run into the hallway and peeked around the corner. Dude just casually walks in and goes for the coffee table. Both dogs come charging out of the bedroom and attack like he is a piece of steak. He runs out of the apartment and instead of going down the stairs he jumps from the second floor to the ground. My dogs are trained so they stay inside and bark. I look out the window and the guys is limping, trying to haul ass. I never even bothered to call the cops and Ive never been harassed since.

Dogs are the best home defense.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I usually lock my room door too :lol

Its where my computer is so if i have headphones on i really cant hear anything.

andycapps

At least he was trained and knew how to handle himself, but that could have gone really wrong. I'm glad a) I lock my doors and b) that I have ways of defending myself aside from using my fists or muscles. Police baton being one of them. I have a gun as well, but against someone that is unarmed, that would be way overkill
pun intended

Coins

Banned
andycapps said:
At least he was trained and knew how to handle himself, but that could have gone really wrong. I'm glad a) I lock my doors and b) that I have ways of defending myself aside from using my fists or muscles. Police baton being one of them. I have a gun as well, but against someone that is unarmed, that would be way overkill
pun intended

Its not overkill at all. If someone has illegally entered your premises then all bets are off. I would have a gun if it wasnt for my wife's disapproval. That guy you think that may be unarmed may have a knife in his back pocket.

Metalic Sand said:
I usually lock my room door too :lol

Its where my computer is so if i have headphones on i really cant hear anything.

Yeah it fucking sucks getting busted jerking off to some sick shit and not realizing it because you got headphones on.

McLovin

I close my front door all the time. My brother leaves it wide open. He even gets pissed when I lock it because he's too lazy to take the key out his pocket and turn the nob. He'll stand there ringing the door bell for minutes and if he has to open it himself he'll barge into my room and kick me or something. I keep trying to tell him that he's the abnormal one and that everyone should lock their doors.. he replies "oh no someone is gonna rape me if I leave my door open!!"

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wouldn't kill the dude, but you can bet I'd be breaking some limbs.

andycapps

Coins said:
Its not overkill at all. If someone has illegally entered your premises then all bets are off. I would have a gun if it wasnt for my wife's disapproval. That guy you think that may be unarmed may have a knife in his back pocket.

True.. It's hard to tell what'd happen in such a situation, chances are I'd have both with me and would use either weapon as I deemed appropriate under that sort of stressful situation. Either way, the police baton extends to about 3 feet and if you hit someone with that'd it'd do some major damage.

NIN90

There's a case of someone sneakily intruding a house through an unlocked door in EVERY hollywood movie.

When will people finally learn?

-PXG- said:
Well, don't even think about making a "woe is me" thread when someone decides to jack all your shit.

Yeah seriously, none of you lock your doors until one day all your electronics have been taken.

Are you all the same people that dont back up their files until their hard drives crash?

jamesinclair said:
Yeah seriously, none of you lock your doors until one day all your electronics have been taken.

Are you all the same people that dont back up their files until their hard drives crash?

No i got backup of all my important stuff. :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
stephendedalus said:
Ugh... I know so many people like this... and they all are pretty heavily into some sort of martial art. I am so glad that they think there isn't a situation that you wont be able to get yourself out of with the use of fists, feet, and magic powers... but geez, get a clue!

Eh, pictures...
What are you rambling about? Your use of double negatives is confusing.

The OP and I'd assume his friend are promoting locking doors over BJJ.

In this particular situation his martial arts skills DID help his life. You can't talk it out with a guy beating your ass on drugs.

Do the people you know overtly want to find any way possible to make use of their marital arts skills? Not the case here.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Who doesn't lock their shit at night? What the hell is that about?

CrayzeeCarl said:
I live in a small town with a very, very low crime rate. I'm not saying that as a matter of bragging, just that it influences my behavior. Couple that with the fact that I often realized that, while always remembering to lock the front door, I often left the side or back door unlocked anyway just do to forgetfulness, and I finally just said "fuck it."

soco

the backdoor at my parents place doesn't lock anymore. it hasn't for years. it's a tiny town so that's not a surprise.

last time i was staying there, people would just walk right in and they all knew to yell :)

Coins

Banned
There are many communities in rural America that feel completely safe leaving only the screen door shut in the dead of night.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine comments on how Joe Divola left his door open, and he says, "I know. I like to encourage strangers."

I had a friend whose parents did this, though. Whenever we're at my apartment and I lock the door, he makes a comment about it, too. I just don't get it.

Coins

Banned
soco said:
the backdoor at my parents place doesn't lock anymore. it hasn't for years. it's a tiny town so that's not a surprise.

last time i was staying there, people would just walk right in and they all knew to yell :)

Yeah, my grandma lives in a small secluded town. No one knocks at all. You just walk in and yell and no one cares at all. Its a nice place, but I couldnt live there as Im a city person.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
BakedPigeon said:
I don't but then again I do live in a very small mountain town in Utah filled with nothing but Mormons.

I went to school with a bunch of mormons, some of those kids go apeshit when they hit their teenage years. I'd lock my doors.

We don't lock our front door (or three backdoors) but thats mostly because we live in a place where armed robbery is unheard of. You get kids breaking into houses they think are empty to steal shit but never armed. And any little shit dumb enough to come into my home with the intention of stealing isn't walking back out. I do however lock my bedroom door.
When I lived in downtown Seattle though, my door was locked from the second I walked inside.

Monocle

You deserve what's coming to you if you're not sensible enough to lock your doors. I'm glad the guy is okay and the attacker is in jail now, but come on.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
When I was younger, I had a friend who lived way out in the boonies, and his family never locked up -- not only at night, but even during weekdays when nobody was home. One day, they came home to find a bunch of shit stolen from their house. Might've been because the DOORS WERE NEVER LOCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom