• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT ARE YOU READING? DECEMBER EDITION

Fuzzery

BuckRobotron said:
Vernor Vinge - A Fire Upon the Deep

4968270.gif

Not yet as enthused about it as the later A Deepness in the Sky that I read first, but I only just started.
Funny, I was just thinking of starting this. I should probably finish rainbows end first though

I was in the doctor's office last week and they let you take books from their donated library. I picked up You Only Live Twice by Ian Fleming.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just read:

0755322819.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fantastic. For Christmas I gave my wife a copy of the deluxe edition of Stardust so I might read that soon.

About to start:

TheWorldAtTheEndOfTime%281stEd%29.jpg

Except my copy of the book has a much better cover.

Powdered Toastman said:
This has probably been discussed over and over again, but is the wheel of time series a good read or a waste of time? I keep hearing from people the first few books are good, but goes downhill after that.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Illuminati said:
This has probably been discussed over and over again, but is the wheel of time series a good read or a waste of time? I keep hearing from people the first few books are good, but goes downhill after that.

The first few books are good, but it goes downhill after that.

(stop at 1 or 3 for fantastic, 6 if you refuse to listen to good advice)

Barrage

Just finished reading Superfolks last week. It's frightening, it's like the spirit of 80's comics condensed into 250+ pages. Incredible.

It also-sadly-made me lose a smidgeon of respect for my favourite comic writer, Alan Moore. Some of the more novel ideas from books like Miracleman and "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Are proceeded here. A little depressing, but it just goes to show how good a book Superfolks is. I would recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in Superheroes.

I'm in the midst of reading Next by Micheal Crighton right now. After a slow first 200 pages, the book picks up considerably. I've torn through the last 250. There are some flaws, though-too many characters(many of which are bland and too similar), too many pointless look-ins, and Crighton can't write kids for shit. I still have to finish the last 100 or so pages, but I would say trimming the book to 350 pages and just leaving the Dave, Alex Burnet, and Gerard storylines as the focal points would've improved the book tremendously.

Eric P

i'm still reading spin and have already done the "OMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS WHEN I AM DONE" speech to a few people

it's nuts

READ THIS.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
wasn't this the one we all told you to read in a recommendation thread? or was that somebody else?

I would like to thank whoever said they were reading "World War Z". I saw it at the library today and got it. It is fantastic. I have to say this is the best zombie book\movie I have ever read\watched. Even though the book deals with zombies, some of these personal accounts do not sound so far-fetched, like they could actually happen.

hadmaid.jpg

Mediocre; not the classic it claims to be.

038533423001LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Classic Vonnegut; a quick and easy read.

9780060932138.jpg

Just began this one; the first chapter (which is only 2 and a half pages) blew me away.

9780679781486.jpg

Eh...a little difficult to slog through.

Bowser

Reading currently:
31FNWHA224L.jpg

To follow:
cormac-770484.jpg

I guess I'm sort of in a post-apocalyptic mood :D Currently a little less than about halfway through 1984, started a bit slow but it's definitely picking up.

deadbeef

I just recently started reading a multi-volume biography of Dostoevsky. I am only on book 1 right now, but I can already tell that it is very well written - it is holding my attention at least, but then again I've always enjoyed biographies, especially of authors that I enjoy. This one addresses and explains some of the Russian cultural and political issues of the early 19th Century that figure in to Dostoevsky's novels, in addition to chronicling the events of his early life.

k878.gif

Fuzzery

JzeroT1437 said:
9780060932138.jpg

Just began this one; the first chapter (which is only 2 and a half pages) blew me away.
You know, I tried reading this a few times, but each time, I kept noticing how flawed or simplistic some of the author's views/points are, and just couldn't continue.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
the sequal to that golden compass crap.

yeah I'm enjoying it.

thomaser

Halfway in Georges Perec's "Life: A User's Manual", which is just beautiful, and started on this:

41MW23XTXZL._SS500_.jpg

Molecular Gastronomy by Hervé This. It's a kind of cookbook. Actually, it just takes a long list of common cooking-activities, and then shows, using scientific methods, how to get the very best results, or how to do difficult things much easier than usual. Want to know how to boil an egg to perfection every single time, how to make sure your steak gets really tender and succulent, or simply the quickest way to cool down a very hot cup of coffee? The answers are all here. Some of the chapters can be bogged down by difficult chemistry-therms when This tries to explain why this or that happens, but most of the book is very easy and enjoyable to read.

Ugh returned the Cosby book to the library. Unfortunately it wasn't really grabbing me like Juan Williams Enough. I also didn't like the constant interruption of the literary shout outs in the middle of thoughts, etc.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
9780749951450.jpg

Finished this, pretty good, get a bit self serving towards the end, the stories from the Mercs are wicked cool though.

200px-Robin_Hobb_-_Assassin's_Apprentice_Cover.jpg

And have decided to re-read all the Farseer Trilogy Books.

I started and read this today. It's more in the vein of Yiddish Policeman's Union than the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay so if you enjoyed the former, pick it up.

51koJqkIVzL._SS500_.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Falch said:
200px-A-Scanner-Darkly-711427.png

I'm really liking it. Loved the movie, too.

I really enjoyed this book. As my first exposure to Philip K. Dick, it definitely has me interested in reading more of his work. Very engaging and tragic.

Alucard said:
I really enjoyed this book. As my first exposure to Philip K. Dick, it definitely has me interested in reading more of his work. Very engaging and tragic.
Four_novels_of_the_sixties_library_of_america-may_2007.jpg

BUY IT

(I've only read the first two thus far, but they are both freaking great.)

Top Bottom