• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

I finished Batwoman: Elegy. Pretty good shit. So
Alice in truth was her twin sister? Is she really dead. The ending just left me feeling there is more. Also pretty fucked up how she was kicked out of the Marines. Do they really have an anti-gay policy? It wouldn't surprise me, but still.
The structure of some of the panels was confusing to me and I didn't care for the were-people, but other than that it was great.

It's been repealed, but the policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," was basically "as long as you say that it's not so, then it isn't so." It was also present throughout the entire U.S. military. Ridiculous to think how long it took to get repealed. I'm not sure if anything has been done with Alice since. I've been making my way through New 52 Batwoman. Two trades in and so far, nada.
That is fucked up.
But Deadpool so it's funny.
Nightwing New World Order: Considering what is happening with Batwoman, how fucked up Jason is, Damian's assholery in Injustice, and now Dick in this, I think we can say that Batman really fucks up his wards. I think that Batman exists right on the edge of insanity and watching him not tumble is what makes him a compelling character. By extension, making his sidekicks fall is a deeper personal cut, as we want eternally those who follow to be better than ourselves.
That's an immensely upsetting notion. Dick is the one that rose above it, and Tim was never really in it to begin with. Jason and Damien were fucked from day one.
Secret Empire remains a slog. It honestly feels like it should've been just between the Captain America books, but the conceit of requiring Hydra Cap to take over the US meant it needed to be bigger. Boring, pretty pictures with no impact.
I bet I could fix 90% of the story issues with Secret Empire: Make it so Cap was tricked and he isn't the leader of Hydra. He gets tricked and booted, but is still Hydra-fied. In order to beat Hydra and fix the damage done, Cap has to reverse it all which results in him getting Old Man Roger'd.

Pacing be damned.

DC All Access on the new 'Tec arc.

This Hans cover...
bombshells-united-2-sewq0z.jpg

Edit: The Drowned:

Malyse

I think it's the opposite, Bunn is making everyone job to Wade, even Gwenpool acts off but then again, I doubt Bunn knew about her plans. It just feels like X dies by X due to Deadpool but with no gravitas. At least the first one held something of note.

"But Eddie, why read the book if you are gonna hate it anyways?"
Because I wanted to know why this series needed ANOTHER sequel.

Ant-Man gets burned via magnifying glass. LOL GET IT BECAUSE HE SMALL
The crew who got set up to go after Deadpool all die anyway. LOL GET IT BECAUSE IT WAS FOR NOTHING
Punisher gets zapped by space gun. LOL GET IT BECAUSE POPULARITY.
The random ass Old Man Logan tie in. I don't get why this?

All of that holds no weight sans the recent page that spoiled eariler and even then, it comes off halfassed like how Wade mentioned the Pack in the first one.

I'm shocked he's treated as one and yet, what run did he do that was like "I love the Bunn run of X" Moon Knight?
Holy shit, your name is Mr Eddie, not mur-ready.

It's been repealed, but the policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," was basically "as long as you say that it's not so, then it isn't so." It was also present throughout the entire U.S. military. Ridiculous to think how long it took to get repealed. I'm not sure if anything has been done with Alice since. I've been making my way through New 52 Batwoman. Two trades in and so far, nada.

But Deadpool so it's funny.
How? There is nothing funny about this.

ElNarez

Banned
How? There is nothing funny about this.

Supposedly the joke is that the sequence riffs on the old Star Comics line, but this being Bunn, it's immediately downplayed by the realization
Deadpool killed a bunch of kids and doesn't even understand how because of said playing off as a joke.
It's the same "oh isn't it fucked up to want to read a book where a character murders everything you like" commentary he did IN EVERY OTHER VOLUME OF THE DEADPOOL KILLS TETRALOGY.

Supposedly the joke is that the sequence riffs on the old Star Comics line, but this being Bunn, it's immediately downplayed by the realization
Deadpool killed a bunch of kids and doesn't even understand how because of said playing off as a joke.
It's the same "oh isn't it fucked up to want to read a book where a character murders everything you like" commentary he did IN EVERY OTHER VOLUME OF THE DEADPOOL KILLS TETRALOGY.
I really hope this is the last one.

Malyse

Doctor Aphra Annual: the thing I like most about Star Sars is Doctor Aphra of course. The thing I like second most about Star Wars is how every character has a story. For example, big black murder Wookiee? He's the Star Wars version of Wolverine. I really hope one of these Star Wars Story films casts Chelli. She is fantastic.

Suicide Squad: I wonder if Nightwing in NWO had any help from Amanda Waller, cause what he did would absolutely be relevant to her interests. This issue had some wonky ass art. Like, some of it is so bad.

Teen Titans: I could read an endless amount of Raven threatening Damian's life. Also, lmao Damian "I don't speak Disney" Wayne quoted fucking Dumbo in the climax? I get why they advertise things, but
announcing the return of Kid Flash in #13 undercuts the story in Deathstroke with Defiance.
Unless it's a head fake, in which case I rescind my criticism.

On an unrelated note, "Who is Wonder Woman's brother" is such a terrible take for a new creative team, particularly when the author has had some questionable storylines before. Might end up dropping a favorite book for a while.

I also read I am Groot (good), Weapon X (okay), and X-Men Gold (Stockholm syndrome).

Aizo

Banned
I just watched Return of the Joker for the first time. I forgot how depressing the world of Beyond is. Bruce's life is fucking sad.

Are any of the Beyond comics good?
Does Messi have any art of Nana Harley?

I need your favorite Kirby designs/pages/panels. Working on a thread to celebrate his 100th anniversary to be posted this Sunday.
Not at a computer so no pics on hand. But my favorite designs are Big Barda and Orion. Barda especially is just, like, pure Kirby. You look at her and can immediately figure out who designed her. It's pretty impressive. Both of them have pretty timeless designs.
Holy shit, your name is Mr Eddie, not mur-ready.
Lol I thought the same thing for the longest time

Dark Horse need to learn how to pace out their HC releases (like FB). So many months of nothing and then 2 Hell on Earth and 2 Abe Sapien HCs within 6 months?

Dark Horse need to learn how to pace out their HC releases (like FB). So many months of nothing and then 2 Hell on Earth and 2 Abe Sapien HCs within 6 months?

Lol yeaaa it's rough. Plus I imagine everyone will grab for them this time after the HCs went out of print for the PoF omnibus so it's going to be rough doing them all so close.

tim1138

I need your favorite Kirby designs/pages/panels. Working on a thread to celebrate his 100th anniversary to be posted this Sunday.

On mobile so no images but these are my favorite designs:

Marvel: Galactus, Silver Surfer, Celestials, Devil Dinosaur, Black Panther

DC: Etrigan, Klarion, Big Barda, OMAC, Darkseid, Granny Goodness, Kamandi

caliph95

How's other x books caught up with Astonishing, Blue, Ice, Jean Grey and about to eventually catch up with Wolverine and liked them
all so far

I'm wondering how the rest of the line is?

from New Gods #6

and OMAC #2

in my mind Kirby's always in 4/6 panel grids or splash pages and these are some of my favourite splash pages in his 70s DC work
I was going to say the same page for New Gods. That along with the splash page just before it were so good.

DC Comics Art Academy Featuring Nicola Scott

Welcome to the DC Comics Art Academy, a series of art tutorials recorded at Comic-Cons featuring many of the gifted and unique artists working for DC today. In today's installment, Wonder Woman artist Nicola Scott returns to the Academy, discussing her inspirations, her life as a comic book artist and how it felt seeing a character she loves and has worked on brought to life in this summer's film.

Enjoyed Generations Thor this week. I feel like we don't see heroes fighting other rogues galleries enough, Thor against Apocalypse was a lot of fun.

Weren't we supposed to have been told what the Vanishing Point is by now?

Top Bottom