• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft mismanagement ofthird party partnerships leaving developers in a bad state?

Crayon

RDR 2 with the best visuals will sell Scorpio. Picture the sun setting in HDR and a nice folk song playing....

SOLD.

The graphics are likely going to be almost indistinguishable from the pro version. Think about it. I don't know if I will be able to pick them out without being side by side and I have really good eyes.

prwxv3

Doubt there will be parity. Not like it matters much.

People are pinning way to many hopes on Scropio sales. Thing's like the Pro but viable in less markets.

i thin i people are pinning way to many hopes on what its actual going to provide as a console.

DNAbro

Doubt there will be parity. Not like it matters much.

People are pinning way to many hopes on Scropio sales. Thing's like the Pro but viable in less markets.

Do we even know how the market has reacted to the Pro? It seems to be nothing of note.

I'm still not convinced people want iterative consoles cause I sure as hell don't.

Instro

Unless I'm mistaken one tweet in particular mentioned that payments stopped a year ago, which is particularly gross.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Microsoft coming directly for Obsidian and Platinum feels like a personal attack on NeoGAF

No, your posts in the past half hour seem more like you have some sort of vendetta against microsoft. Hell, you linked this thread before it even had a single response.

So the running list includes (but not limited to):

Kameo
Conker
Perfect Dark
Crimson Skies
Brute Force (lol)
Fable
Phantom Dust
Scalebound

Never mind all the IPs that simply sit inactive. Recore and Sunset Overdrive both bombed I assume, so I'd expect no followup for those. We can only hope Forza, Gears and Halo stay mostly on track and that Sea of Thieves and Crackdown deliver. Anything else of note?

Not been a good decade at all for first party games and exclusives from MS IMO.

Net

That Phantom Dust article is damning.

Wouldn't doubt that the same thing was done to Kamiya and his team.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
We don't know the story yet.

It is way too easy to slate MS.

Perhaps Platinum could not get the job done? Who knows? Who is talking?

We're talking about a development team which took a concept Kojima could not utilize properly for gameplay purposes (cutting mechanic in Metal Gear Rising), flipped the game out of development hell, and made an extremely fun game out of it within a relatively small development time.

This is not the FFVersus13/FFXV team we are talking about here and I will really need to 'see_the_receipts.gif' if someone actually thinks Platinum is at fault here. Right now MS has way more evidence against them based on prior cancellations than the other way around.

Boke1879

Do we even know how the market has reacted to the Pro? It seems to be nothing of note.

I'm still not convinced people want iterative consoles cause I sure as hell don't.

Pro won't sell in a huge way until it can be had for $300. People need to realize these consoles at this stage are being targeted to the hardcore. People who don't mind upgrading. At some point the base PS4 and Xbox will be phased out and the only boxes on shelves will be the Pro and Scorpio if all this works out.

Seems to be selling to about Sonys expectations. Which is to say, not much of note.

Outrun

We're talking about a development team which took a concept Kojima could not utilize properly for gameplay purposes (cutting mechanic in Metal Gear Rising), flipped the game out of development hell, and made an extremely fun game out of it within a relatively small development time.

This is not the FFVersus13/FFXV team we are talking about here and I will really need to 'see_the_receipts.gif' if someone actually thinks Platinum is at fault here. Right now MS has way more evidence against them than the other way around.

Until we have the facts, I would not absolve or condemn any party here.

AniHawk

i think this extends to rare, and actually it's weird that the studio wasn't closed years ago based on the stories of half-finished projects and microsoft not knowing what to do with the studio. they seem like a really shitty partner who doesn't really get that sometimes big changes can't be made within budgets and time frames.

Boke1879

Well like I said in the other thread. I wouldn't be shocked if sometime soon we got some articles telling us exactly what happened. I'm sure they are trying to talk to different sources and even people in a position to know to get facts.

robotrock

Banned
No, your posts in the past half hour seem more like you have some sort of vendetta against microsoft. Hell, you linked this thread before it even had a single response.

I might now! If they truly mismanage projects like the excerpts in the OP suggest, and hurt developers in the long run.

KodaRuss

It is really damn sad what has happened in these situations. MS is the new EA? Probably not but its starting to feel like it.

I'm sure there are 2 sides to this but from where I'm sitting it looks bad on Microsoft. Hopefully Platinum can get enough work from Sony and Nintendo.

Diagol

Some more stuff about Microsoft's management can also be found in Polygon's Final Fantasy 7 article which came out today (seen here.) Just go to section 3 titled the Aftermath, then go to the subject: Square staff reunites at Microsoft. It talks about the difficulties Mistwalker/FeelPlus had with Microsoft during the development of Lost Odyssey too. The whole article is a fascinating read.

I think Japanese developers would do well to partner with sony. They're throwing some weight behind Kojima and that should be an interesting game. It's also probably a better fit as Sony this gen has demonstrated an eagerness to push games.

D3VI0US

Shaky track record means 2 rushed Activision licensed games now? Out of how many great games??

I dunno, how many? Do you count stuff like Okami? Is Wonderful 101 a great game? Even Bayonetta is an evolution of DMC to me with more tits and ass. It didn't blow my mind, it was just better than similar games from the previous gen. Lets not kid ourselves, Platinum games is not a hit factory and even if MS had kept funding and released the game there's no way to know it would have been good, MS obviously didn't think it was.

RDR 2 with the best visuals will sell Scorpio. Picture the sun setting in HDR and a nice folk song playing....

SOLD.

You do realize that Sony has the marketing rights and extra/exclusive content for this game right? Also it's entirely possible 3rd party devs don't put the effort into maximizing the power of Scorpio. I mean you have to support XB1, PS4, PS4 Pro, and Scorpio. It's not a given the the Scorpio version will look or run better then the PS4 Pro version. We don't even know what the lead platform for RDR 2 is but that will be telling.

Nairume

Banned
i think this extends to rare, and actually it's weird that the studio wasn't closed years ago based on the stories of half-finished projects and microsoft not knowing what to do with the studio. they seem like a really shitty partner who doesn't really get that sometimes big changes can't be made within budgets and time frames.
Rare might be the, uh, rare studio that has enough cultural penetration to where MS would probably never fully go through with shuttering them.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Until we have the facts, I would not absolve or condemn any party here.

I understand where you're coming from but after being burned from the new Fable and Phantom Dust Remake cancellations and hearing their dev stories about MS's rocky relationships, my mind is saying 'fool me once, fool me twice, etc'. I fear for the future of Crackdown 3. If, unsurprisingly, news comes out that there was yet another issue with MS publishing and the dev, I don't think we should treat MS like the ex-girlfriend/boyfriend who you're cool with giving more chances and letting him/her come back into your life. The only Franchises I see that are set in stone are Gears and Halo.

I'm still not sure how they can get Megaman Creator and Metroid Prime developers and give them a small budget after announcing their game with a fancy CG trailer

AniHawk

Rare might be the, uh, rare studio that has enough cultural penetration to where MS would probably never fully go through with shuttering them.

probably. they sure have gone a while without using any of the ips they acquired with them (actually - i forgot about their rare replay thing), and i have a feeling the talent that joined from the nintendo days is mostly long-gone at this point. it might be that after sea of thieves they might consider closing the studio.

FinKL

Disheartening to read that Phantom Dust piece... Wonder if MS super low balled Killer Instinct too from Double Helix. I thought it was weird they would step away from a project midway through a season.

Microsoft, you got to do better, these devs are people too!

Glix

Whomever helped draft the contract on Darkside's side was absolutely terrible at scope creep. So much so that I'm seriously wondering if the devs knew exactly what was agreed upon. This sort of thing doesn't happen unless you're completely incompetent at writing and accepting contracts.

I don't deny it happened mind you. And if it happened, MS are assholes. But christ at that type of scope creep being able to be added into the dev cycle without some massive push back or lawsuits.

When a company like darkside negotiates with a company like ms its on microsofts paper and microsofts terms. No way darkside has lawyers that can keep up

Nairume

Banned
Disheartening to read that Phantom Dust piece... Wonder if MS super low balled Killer Instinct too from Double Helix. I thought it was weird they would step away from a project midway through a season.

Microsoft, you got to do better, these devs are people too!
Double Helix got bought out.

SkyOdin

Especially considering not only how many projects Platinum takes on but they also have a very shaky track record when it comes to quality software. For every Bayonetta and Vanquish there is a Korra or TMNT. Maybe they had good reason to put it down, frankly it didn't look like anything special to me, but I'm jaded and could say that about most 1st party games from all the major platforms.

I'm skeptical but I'm not saying MS is doing a great job either. I mean even their indie relationships have been mismanaged. Last gen we get great games like Castle Crashers, Bastion, etc. and promotions like Summer of Arcade, now we get trash like Lococycle. The Ori's and Cupheads are few and far between.

It's not good enough MS, step you game up and compete cause Scorpio won't sell itself.
The quality of Platinum's output is a complete red herring.

What is in question here is whether or not Platinum would miss major milestones during game development. And by all accounts, they have a stellar track-record for making games on time and within budget.

Outrun

You do realize that Sony has the marketing rights and extra/exclusive content for this game right? Also it's entirely possible 3rd party devs don't put the effort into maximizing the power of Scorpio. I mean you have to support XB1, PS4, PS4 Pro, and Scorpio. It's not a given the the Scorpio version will look or run better then the PS4 Pro version. We don't even know what the lead platform for RDR 2 is but that will be telling.

OK, so you are adopting the doomsday scenario for Scorpio then?

It is confusing. Sometimes it is exclusives that sell consoles. Other times, it is superior multiplatform titles...

I guess dispite the supposed hardware superiority, no multiplatform titles will look superior.

And on top of that MS has no fresh exclusives...

They are fucked and should pack it in.

Meffer

This is not the FFVersus13/FFXV team we are talking about here and I will really need to 'see_the_receipts.gif' if someone actually thinks Platinum is at fault here. Right now MS has way more evidence against them based on prior cancellations than the other way around.

I was just thinking that. Platinum are fantastic devs and are are well known in meeting their deadlines. I think MS was doing that some shady shit.

nynt9

What is in question here is whether or not Platinum would miss major milestones during game development. And by all accounts, they have a stellar track-record for making games on time and within budget.

Yeah, this is what gets me. Platinum's record with Activision shows that they will get a game out in time within a budget no matter what. It seems odd that what struck them out could be an inability to work within time and budget constraints. By the rumors, overworking to meet deadlines was what put Kamiya and his team out of commission. I don't think putting all the blame on Platinum here is realistic given their track record, especially compared to the picture Darkside paint of MS.

When there's smoke from one source, maybe it's just smoke and mirrors. But when there's smoking coming from multiple directions, it starts to look like a fire.

Shin-Ra

I would imagine smaller indie devs to still do business with ms without today's debacle having much of an impact. But bigger third party devs that have much more on the line,people wise, will likely think twice about doing business with MS exclusively.
if i had to guess, sounds like general incompetence on MS' part rather than maliciously trying to upend contracts.
Incompetence was the time they failed to pay their XBLIG partners.

D3VI0US

Ok lets take quality out of the equation, game looks like it won't recoup it's investment, spend more money and hope for the best or cancel it? Isn't that really what happened here? Isn't that what happened with Phantom Dust? Fable Legends? Granted I'm not saying MS did or did not do Platinum dirty, I have no idea, but I do think I understand why they canceled it.

Meffer

Ok lets take quality out of the equation, game looks like it won't recoup it's investment, spend more money and hope for the best or cancel it? Isn't that really what happened here? Isn't that what happened with Phantom Dust? Fable Legends? Granted I'm not saying MS did or did not do Platinum dirty, I have no idea, but I do think I understand why they canceled it.

The point here is it was MS who did the mishandling.

Spidy

Neo Member
I'm a fan of Xbox, but news like this makes me sour towards them. Don't know what happened, and am still looking forward to Crackdown, but this sucks. There is very little reliability that any game from a 3rd party that they announce will get made, which is why Sony's library of first party developers is much more preferable.

Guess we'll see how this affects them in the long run. They need to gain more momentum, things like this and the aftermath of Quantum Break shrink my faith in them.

KingV

This whole situation is crazy to me. It really makes me think that MS is positioning themselves right out of the console space, whether they think they are or not.

Xbox with no exclusive games has no real reason to exist. And this focus on games as a service is crazy too. It sounds like they don't want to put any money behind anything thats not going to be a mega multibillion $ franchise like Minecraft that lives on in perpetuity.

How many of those games can the market truly support and it's not exactly easy to predict what game will become the next cultural phenomenon.

It just seems like a recipe for failure. I feel like Nintendo is about to be fully 100% saved and Sony is licking their lips.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
When a company like darkside negotiates with a company like ms its on microsofts paper and microsofts terms. No way darkside has lawyers that can keep up

Their lawyers couldn't recognize that there was a massive hole for scope creep? They hired lawyers that specialize in contract software development correct? I mean contractual scope creep isn't anything new. I mean scope creep isn't a new term.

I have a hard time believing that MS could all of a sudden demand that a single player campaign be included into the existing contract unless the contract was absolutely terribly written and subsequently agreed upon. MS are complete assholes for taking advantage of said contract if that's indeed how it played out, but damn...

wapplew

Didn't Gaffer from Moon studio talk about how easy to work with MS as a publisher?
I don't think this is a widespread issue for MS publishing. Maybe those projects listed in the op just unfortunate casualty of 2013 PR disaster.
Maybe MS was in panic mode during that period, head of Xbox stepping down, everything go against them and they need games, games games to turn around bad image.
So they green light projects in quick succession without taking time to evaluate the projects.
On any given time, those projects might not get approve or dead before announcement, like usual game business.

Top Bottom