• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X Features Impressive Leap over PS4Pro

solis74

It's true, X version contains 2.25x the pixels I believe.

It's pretty much how I expect it's going to be for Sony marketed 3rd party games for the rest of the generation. I'm particularly looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2.

will be interesting for sure

Fbh

I mean... Yeah, it came out over a year later for a higher price with more powerful hardware.
Are we also going to make threads everytime a game runs better on a Gtx1080ti than on a 1070?

News would be if it wasn't getting the better version

Is this true? Even though Sony PlayStation has paid marketing rights for Star Wars Battlefront 2 , Xbox One X gets the better version?

That's not how marketing deals work.
Devs arent going to intentionally hold back or downgrade a version of a game running on better hardware just because of some marketing deal.

That only happens in paranoid console warrior fantasies

MilkyJoe

Then X owners will feel cheated. Premium console that is as expensive as the next version only good for two years? Unless Sony waits so MS can’t get the upper hand again.

Ha ha 2 years.

And only good for? Does it blow up, like a delayed mission impossible cassette?

Feel cheated?

So much in one post

If you're buying consoles for power you're doing it wrong. It's about true exclusives and X1 still has none.

If you can only enjoy a game if someone else can't play it, then your brain function is wrong.

PS the true exclusives have to be compelling enough to Trump power.

Pps nah actually Controller always comes first

imperium

Wonder how cheated pro users feel? They barely got a year being most powerful before X1X stomped all over it.

Good grief. I own a pro & X1X and I don’t feel the least bit cheated. The pro offers a nice bump in IQ and really opened my eyes to the benefits of higher resolutions. I’ve compared numerous games on both systems and yes the X1X is superior in every instance but the difference isn’t so great IMO to warrant the stupid fanboyism that accompanies every comparison thread. Both consoles have their pros and cons. Neither invalidates the other.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
Then X owners will feel cheated. Premium console that is as expensive as the next version only good for two years? Unless Sony waits so MS can’t get the upper hand again.

Do iPhone 7 purchasers feel cheated that an iPhone 8 and iPhone X launched this year that are both faster with better battery life?

Nope.

Then why would console owners? Yes, historically, consoles have only released every 6 to 8 years, but that doesn't mean that they can't release faster if you have rock solid back compat and provide other enhancements to older games on top of that.

Do iPhone 7 purchasers feel cheated that an iPhone 8 and iPhone X launched this year that are both faster with better battery life?

Nope.

Then why would console owners? Yes, historically, consoles have only released every 6 to 8 years, but that doesn't mean that they can't release faster if you have rock solid back compat and provide other enhancements to older games on top of that.

Realize who you are quoting lol

munroe

This feels like a complete copy paste of the blocked Battlefront 2 Digital Foundry thread. Is this basically what Gaf has been reduced to?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh, that still wouldn't get me to buy Battlefront 2 or Xbox one X. Once Xbox starts getting game like Ni no Kuni 2 or SMT then I will start give a shit.

Shh don't ruin it for them.

Not a single goddamn fk is given anything PC.the bumness will NEVER change, it only got worse..for the millionth time why would you bring PC (feel left out and not important? ) to a console forum where console gamers would not go anywhere near PC.. eww.. Should be stickied and locked first page on the forum.

Senua

Not a single goddamn fk is given anything PC.the bumness will NEVER change, it only got worse..for the millionth time why would you bring PC (feel left out and not important? ) to a console forum where console gamers would not go anywhere near PC.. eww.. Should be stickied and locked first page on the forum.

LOL

WaterAstro

So XboneX has more impressive loot boxes lol

Anyway, any technical game will look better on a machine that came out 1 year later at a hundred dollar extra cost. We're just going to keep seeing these threads.

I see the console warriors that need to validate their purchase have arrived in this thread too. This thread will get locked like the last one. GAF has really gone down the toilet.

Nothing remarkable about a newer more expensive console looking better than an older one. Just the same way there’s nothing remarkable about my more expensive and powerful PC destroying both of the console’s with its graphics.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Nope.

They should as they are essentially mainly helping Apple to keep their insane profit margins up, avoid spending money lowering production costs to be able to turn a profit while lowering costs, and buy into the hype and excitement of the NEW stuff (see iPhone X skyrocketing to $1,000 and still selling every unit they can make). In the world of apps not made by Apple, you will see not see a lot of developers having the time or resources or willingness to optimise for the new hotness until the userbase grows very strong and you will try to do it in your ever growing codebase in a way that does not hurt other device classes or make your code an unmaintainable mess of very fast spaghetti code.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of 5-7 years console generations (even less so now that we have the possibility of mid generation Pro/X refreshes to smooth out the edges) that are BC with previous consoles software. It is good to allow games to have an incentive to focus on new HW and for some rules to be reset.
Of course, if you want to think purely from a console HW profit margins point of view (and want to risk the "just copy Apple, of course it will be successful for you too" card) and you see nothing wrong with AAA publishers becoming bigger and bigger and merging/consolidating into mega AAAA ones then sure, who are console generations helping...

Until we have a Quantum Computing for the masses breakthrough, advancements in computing are slowing down (it takes longer and loger to double performance to put it simply) and costing more and more to achieve (see the transition from 90nm to 45nm and now from 16nm to 7nm and further... look at the already high cost of migrating to 300mm wafers and now to even bigger ones).

Technology tells you clearly "releasing new HW more and more frequently does not make practical sense for a performance point of view" and yet some customers angrily yell for manufacturers to make new HW and then they buy it... but again, just because Apple does it, it does not mean that it works for everyone else... A lot of companies have the "if it works for Apple it must work for us too..." mentality and it is dangerous.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
They should as they are essentially mainly helping Apple to keep their insane profit margins up, avoid spending money lowering production costs to be able to turn a profit while lowering costs, and buy into the hype and excitement of the NEW stuff (see iPhone X skyrocketing to $1,000 and still selling every unit they can make). In the world of apps not made by Apple, you will see not see a lot of developers having the time or resources or willingness to optimise for the new hotness until the userbase grows very strong and you will try to do it in your ever growing codebase in a way that does not hurt other device classes or make your code an unmaintainable mess of very fast spaghetti code.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of 5-7 years console generations (even less so now that we have the possibility of mid generation Pro/X refreshes to smooth out the edges) that are BC with previous consoles software. It is good to allow games to have an incentive to focus on new HW and for some rules to be reset.
Of course, if you want to think purely from a console HW profit margins point of view (and want to risk the "just copy Apple, of course it will be successful for you too" card) and you see nothing wrong with AAA publishers becoming bigger and bigger and merging/consolidating into mega AAAA ones then sure, who are console generations helping...

Until we have a Quantum Computing for the masses breakthrough, advancements in computing are slowing down (it takes longer and loger to double performance to put it simply) and costing more and more to achieve (see the transition from 90nm to 45nm and now from 16nm to 7nm and further... look at the already high cost of migrating to 300mm wafers and now to even bigger ones).

Technology tells you clearly "releasing new HW more and more frequently does not make practical sense for a performance point of view" and yet some customers angrily yell for manufacturers to make new HW and then they buy it... but again, just because Apple does it, it does not mean that it works for everyone else... A lot of companies have the "if it works for Apple it must work for us too..." mentality and it is dangerous.

You have one major point backwards. You argument that releasing new consoles that completely break compat with last generation helps the mega corps.

This is just factually wrong. The generation break was one of the hardest things for Indies. Big companies could just hire up and throw more people at the problem of developing for the new generation and easily take advantage of any of the new hardware, special characteristics, etc...

Indies cannot. Even worse, many Indies get burned because their title got delayed and now releases after the new generation started and to port it to the new generation would require them buying new dev kits, more tweaking for the new HW architecture, etc...

Now, just like on PC, Indies can build up and just release when ready. If new HW comes out, they can recompile for the new HW and at a minimum get the extra perf improvements, IQ improvements like AF 16x, and resolution buff. All of this for maybe a day or two worth of work as opposed to months with a console generation switch.

Beyond that, while you may not think that people should be buying the smaller improvements with iPhones and such year after year, the fact is that they do and are happy with the improvements. The same will very likely hold true for consoles if handled well by the designers and manufacturers.

I know as a consumer, I look forward to a more steady stream of improvements every 2 to 4 years as opposed to having to wait 6 to 8 to get anything new.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
You can taste the massive salt, it's incredible.

We go entire gens where games sometimes don't even run a stable 30fps and more often then not never hit 60fps; where the most graphically intensive games drop frames and every DF video shows this (I'm speaking about consoles obviously); where even all those big name Sony exclusives drop frames and its rare to see a stable fps unless locked at 30 and not too amszing graphically (Destiny), but having 2.5times the graphical prowess/pixel count than PS4Pro is "not so impressive" because sometimes the frame rate drops 1FPS from 60>59?

Gonna be a long, hard 3 years for certain people, that's for sure.
It's been a looong hard 4yrs for certain people too 😉

Mr Moose

I have to say, it looked like ass on my Pro in the beta, looked less than 1080p (though I was wrong, same with I thought the Batman game was 900p, that looked blurry/soft too). Can you turn off the shitty effects like CA and stuff?

Though with this type of game the massive pixel difference between 1440p and 4k doesn't make that much of a difference because there's not a lot of jaggies, same with CoD WWII (though obviously the pixel count difference is huge). The extra effects and stuff are very welcome.

Do we even have mods anymore?

I don't believe so, no.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
This is not the first time you made this comment. You hurting now bro?
True ive made the comment a few times 😊 i just find the ignorance for the last 4yrs pretty funny when people who said theres no difference between xboxone & PS4 for 4yrs are now "even" saying how bad xboxone looks NOW but nah not hurting i got me pro don't play alotta games & only have 1080p TV also not big on multiplats (really regret buying D2) havent bought a cod since start of gen (except remastered cod4) plus i do have a powefull pc if i ever want to play a racing game

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I have to say, it looked like ass on my Pro in the beta, looked less than 1080p (though I was wrong, same with I thought the Batman game was 900p, that looked blurry/soft too). Can you turn off the shitty effects like CA and stuff?

Though with this type of game the massive pixel difference between 1440p and 4k doesn't make that much of a difference because there's not a lot of jaggies, same with CoD WWII (though obviously the pixel count difference is huge). The extra effects and stuff are very welcome.

I don't believe so, no.
Thankfully you can.

I also had the same issue with the beta on my PS4 Pro, but I've seen the final game and it's much improved.

Mr Moose

Thankfully you can.

I also had the same issue with the beta on my PS4 Pro, but I've seen the final game and it's much improved.

Ooh nice, it's like BF1? You can finally turn that shit off on that, thank God, looks so much better without it. No idea why they would add that crap.
Though to be honest with EAs recent stuff, I think I can wait until this game drops a lot in price before picking it up if at all.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ooh nice, it's like BF1? You can finally turn that shit off on that, thank God, looks so much better without it. No idea why they would add that crap.
Though to be honest with EAs recent stuff, I think I can wait until this game drops a lot in price before picking it up if at all.
I'd say that's a smart idea. I'm personally really enjoying the game, but because of the grind I can't recommend someone picking it up right away unless they're a huge Star Wars fan, especially since they've already said it's going to be discounted during the weekend The Last Jedi is out.

Mr Moose

I'd say that's a smart idea. I'm personally really enjoying the game, but because of the grind I can't recommend someone picking it up right away unless they're a huge Star Wars fan, especially since they've already said it's going to be discounted during the weekend The Last Jedi is out.

I noticed The Evil Within 2 was only £25 on PSN already but if I got it I'd preferably get the disc version (I got Dishonored 2 for £18 at launch).
Might only take a few weeks for it to drop to a good price. Even then though, with their talk of adding back their shit... I might not get it at all. (CoD WWII, despite its buggy crap, is pretty good).

Journey

Banned

Did PS3 owners feel cheated when PS4 launched? Unless PS5 launches in 2019, no one should have an issue, except for maybe pro owners who might feel cheated for buying the Pro and PS5 launching shortly after lol, it's a double edge sword.

Malcolm9

Did PS3 owners feel cheated when PS4 launched? Unless PS5 launches in 2019, no one should have an issue, except for maybe pro owners who might feel cheated for buying the Pro and PS5 launching shortly after lol, it's a double edge sword.

Oh, what's the release date for the PS5, do tell! :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to picking this up when it's on a decent sale. I had a go on when I was at a mates house and it looks fantastic (PS4 Pro).

MaulerX

then a lot of people got bamboozled into buying 4 MS consoles in a 5 year span

Would you care to elaborate? Because if you're thinking what I think you're thinking then your logic is pretty flawed considering it could technically be applied to Sony and PC as well.

sneas78

Banned
Uhhh so what/where is this Exponential Leap? ... What im sure about is .. it better have a leap over ps4pro with $6TF and.00 sense.

solis74

yeah i'm waiting for a price drop, been playing with EA Access and it looks amazing!

Bramble

Fuck this shit. It looks awesome on both consoles. This magnifying bullshit needs to stop.

Some extra pixels does not make a game an "impressive leap". If X would have double the framerate and al kind of extra effects en lighting, that would be an "impressive leap".

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck this shit. It looks awesome on both consoles. This magnifying bullshit needs to stop.

Some extra pixels does not make a game an "impressive leap". If X would have double the framerate and al kind of extra effects en lighting, that would be an "impressive leap".
Dude BEAST gfx look at it.
It's just better

MilkyJoe

Still dynamic. We have to stay accurate here. Also you have to be specific at what settings the 1X is playing it at compared to the PC you want him to theoretically build. These things matter when you’re talking about cost and build of a PC.

PC doesn't do dynamic, so you'll have to get a spec that can do a minimum of 4K 60

MaulerX

So now we're wishing for DF to stop doing their comparison videos? Because all of a sudden you think they're "bullshit"? And now we're equating double the pixels as "some extra pixels"?

Top Bottom