• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo now co-owns the Fatal Frame IP alongside with Tecmo Koei

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Saw this in the other thread and though it was interesting:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/21/report-nintendo-has-co-ownership-in-fatal-frame-ip/

Rely on Horror reports Nintendo now has full ownership of spin-off Spirit Camera as well as co-ownership of Fatal Frame alongside Tecmo Koei.

The platform holder now has the publishing rights to any game in the franchise, which makes it unlikely we’ll see a new Fatal Frame game outside of Nintendo consoles – or that we’ll see independent effort to bring across the patchily localised series.

Takao

Banned
The fact that Nintendo published Spirit Camera, Fatal Frame IV, and the remake of 2 made it seem pretty clear that it was Nintendo's now.

Eusis

Well, guess if FF2 Wii doesn't come here I'll finally (try to) hunt down the PS2 games. Or at least one of them, I'm a massive wimp about horror.

the chris

Well there goes any chance of an HD Collection being released for the PS3 and 360, and probably only small chances of new games being localized.

Eusis

Now that I think about it, the timing is kind of interesting given the fact they're rumored to have canned Eternal Darkness 2, and Silicon Knights is as good as dead now.

Not that I imagine that means anything in North America.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Now that I think about it, the timing is kind of interesting given the fact they're rumored to have canned Eternal Darkness 2, and Silicon Knights is as good as dead now.

Not that I imagine that means anything in North America.

They'll have TK make ED2, and then refuse to release it in the US.

Truth101

Banned
Well there goes any chance of an HD Collection being released for the PS3 and 360, and probably only small chances of new games being localized.
Spirit Camera was localized and NoE is localizing FF2 Remake. FF4 was passed on because of game breaking bugs supposedly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Kinda sad that Fatal Frame is currently the only JP survival horror series that's still going on. Silent Hill went down after 3 (and it hasn't been Japanese-oriented after 4), Resident Evil is more of an action game now (Revelations is still scary though, and probably RE6's Leon Story), Clock Tower is dead, and we haven't heard from Siren for quite some time now.

thuway

Hopefully Nintendo actually does something with the franchise, but it seems like a lackluster investment. Nintendo could just start their own IP instead.

Eusis

They'll have TK make ED2, and then refuse to release it in the US.
To be more serious, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised that, if they cared to resurrect ED2, they'd either get Retro to do it or start a new studio from ex-Silicon Knights staff. More likely it'd just remain a dead IP along with the likes of Startropics.

RagnarokX

Well, the GamePad as a camera is a perfect idea. One of the scariest moments in the ZombiU E3 demo involved using it as a camera.

Scoops

Banned
How long until Nintendo co-owns Tecmo Koei in general?

This. Between Samurai Warriors 3 being published by Nintendo in North America, Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU, working with Team Ninja and now this it seems like Nintendo is working towards a takeover of Tecmo Koei.

Instro

Ah so this is finally confirmed huh. Its a good IP to add to their stable of games, since Nintendo lacked a horror franchise. They really need to get one of the Wii games over here, certainly FF2 remake at least. HD WiiU collection would be ace, and the Gamepad is totally built for a new installment.

RagnarokX

Ah so this is finally confirmed huh. Its a good IP to add to their stable of games, since Nintendo lacked a horror franchise. They really need to get one of the Wii games over here, certainly FF2 remake at least. HD WiiU collection would be ace, and the Gamepad is totally built for a new installment.

They had Eternal Darkness. Silicon Knights just decided to go make bad games for other consoles instead. Maybe Nintendo could give the IP to someone else since SK decided to piss their money away.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Though to be honest I had my suspicions for a while. Fatal Frame IV I thought was a one time thing as well, but then we got the Fatal Frame 2 remake being Wii exclusive, and Spirit Photo on the 3DS. And then the Fatal Frame games were on Iwata asks, where they revealed Nintendo was helping work on the title conceptually and in development on the Fatal Frame 2 remake. And then on the Project Zero 2: Wii Edition box, there is no Tecmo logo, only a Nintendo logo.

project-zero-2-wii-edition-box-art.jpg
1337807833_jp.jpg

Well it is a good IP to have under their belt in terms of horror, but a bit unexpected, yet extremely expected at the same time. Nintendo seems to have a strange close relationship with Tecmo lately. At least this ownership doesn't seem to be dumbing down the franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHnVCegIp8

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This. Between Samurai Warriors 3 being published by Nintendo in North America, Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU, working with Team Ninja and now this it seems like Nintendo is working towards a takeover of Tecmo Koei.

But why them of all things?

Although I asked the same thing when they bought Monolith Soft heh. Is Nintendo just going to keep scooping up small to mid size Japanese devs as the Japanese industry continues to depress?

RagnarokX

Though to be honest I had my suspicions for a while. Fatal Frame IV I thought was a one time thing as well, but then we got the Fatal Frame 2 remake being Wii exclusive, and Spirit Photo on the 3DS. And then the Fatal Frame games were on Iwata asks, where they revealed Nintendo was helping work on the title conceptually and in development on the Fatal Frame 2 remake. And then on the Project Zero 2: Wii Edition box, there is no Tecmo logo, only a Nintendo logo.

Well it is a good IP to have under their belt in terms of horror, but a bit unexpected, yet extremely expected at the same time. Nintendo seems to have a strange close relationship with Tecmo lately. At least this ownership doesn't seem to be dumbing down the franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHnVCegIp8

Heh, well Monolithsoft was a weird acquisition too and look what that produced :D

But why them of all things?

Although I asked the same thing when they bought Monolith Soft heh. Is Nintendo just going to keep scooping up small to mid size Japanese devs as the Japanese industry continues to depress?
Why not? It's not like Sony or Microsoft are at all interested in Japanese development. And the industry is looking healthier in Japan than North America or Europe recently.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Like I said in some other thread, The Wii U controller is absolutely perfect for these games. Camera interface on the bottom screen, lift the controller up to sight and then shoot.

KevinCow

Banned
Nintendo invests in the weirdest things.

Fatal Frame isn't bad or anything, but it's never been a particularly popular series, and its most popular games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms. Plus the Nintendo published games haven't even gotten released outside of Japan. How much do they expect to make with this investment?

This is every bit as, "Wait, what?" as when they bought Monolith.

Going by their mid-00s Namco deals, it'll just end with Nintendo buying one of Tecmo Koei's teams and then both companies going their separate ways.

Takao

Banned
It did seem like Level-5 would be the next candidate, especially because of Layton.

Level-5 was a company that was directly started by Sony, so Nintendo owning them would be interesting... Level-5's too big for that to happen now, and Hino seems to enjoy being free to do whatever the heck he wants.

Level-5 is privately owned.

I meant Nintendo shareholders.

"YOU BOUGHT AN IP THAT'S ON IPHONE WHY NOT RELEASE ALL YOUR IPS ON IPHONE?"

ivysaur12

Banned
Nintendo invests in the weirdest things.

Fatal Frame isn't bad or anything, but it's never been a particularly popular series, and its most popular games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms. Plus the Nintendo published games haven't even gotten released outside of Japan. How much do they expect to make with this investment?

This is every bit as, "Wait, what?" as when they bought Monolith.

Going by their mid-00s Namco deals, it'll just end with Nintendo buying one of Tecmo Koei's teams and then both companies going their separate ways.

MonolithSoft made more sense than this, to be honest. They wanted a more "core" team like Retro.

Foffy

Banned
I'd be happy if I knew we'd be getting the games in North America, but they'd have to go through NoA...which is the worst possible situation for a series like this.

If Nintendo bought Platinum games, threw a couple B-tier franchises their way and let them develop new IP as well, I would forgive all the transgressions at E3.

Top Bottom