• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That "Archie Got Hot" t-shirt reminds me of Matt Murdock's infamous

tumblr_myeb6mSLZi1qbhnrvo1_500.png

Pachimari

I just finished Episode 6 as I am catching up, and wow at Veronica Lodge as a Pussycat. She's always slaying it. And damn do Betty's parents rub me the wrong way. Polly too actually. Oh yeah, and wow, I didn't see Betty and Jughead become a thing, neither did I see Archie and Valerie kiss.

Anyway, two things I didn't understand. Why did Josie cry at the end of their performance? And why did Hermione Lodge want to approve the contract to Andrews? Is it so she can keep the money her imprisoned husband sent her?

Anyway, two things I didn't understand. Why did Josie cry at the end of their performance? And why did Hermione Lodge want to approve the contract to Andrews? Is it so she can keep the money her imprisoned husband sent her?

Josie's dad literally walked out halfway through the performance. Hermione wants the D.

Joni

Hermione still cares about her town and the people in it. She saw her old boyfriend fighting for his company and she is probably comparing that to her fraudulent husband.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My wife and I are catching up on this show and holy hell is it refreshing how honest about feelings these characters are with each other, unlike almost every other CW show in existence.

Redhood

I really didn't understand why Veronica was announcing to the world how her mom forged her signature and got Andrew Construction the contract. I thought nobody knew the Lodge's were involved in the purchase of drive in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I really didn't understand why Veronica was announcing to the world how her mom forged her signature and got Andrew Construction the contract. I thought nobody knew the Lodge's were involved in the purchase of drive in.
She only told Kevin iirc. When they were in the club she was super vague about it, going on about how she was frustrated with her mom and how she told her no one could "take her name" without telling them what she meant by that.

Fancolors

Does anyone have some sort of Riverdale related content to recommend? The wait is killing me.

Right now I'm reading Waid's comics and listening to a recap podcast called Sex Archie by Ironicus and his wife. Both a pretty good so far.

Pluto

Didn't realize how well spoken he is..that was a good interview
I think he sounds fake, he has this "I went to college and learned words" thing going on where it always feels like he still wants to talk like before but forces himself to sound educated, many people in their early 20s do that and it's annoying because it doesn't feel natural.

It's like the sitcom plot where a character gets a word of the day calendar and suddenly starts throwing in the words they learned at every opportunity.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of annoyed with the treatment of some characters. Kevin (and Moose for that matter) played a large part in the premiere. Now he kissed that Serpent guy like 3 or 4 episodes ago... I thought that was going to be an ongoing thing? Or thought there would be some more Moose stuff? Poor Kevin's been completely left out of most of the plots. Josie has gotten some attention lately which is nice but it's the inconsistency that is annoying. And the choice to leave Archie almost entirely out of the investigation plot is kind of baffling. Honestly, who cares about his music career?

I expect we'll get one more episode with Serpent boy at some point. If they ever need a way of getting more info on the Serpents (say...
their involvement in the car burning and maybe the murder
), Kevin's beau could be the way to do it. (Either that or snooping on Jughead's dad, which is probably the more likely approach.) If Kevin were a main character, I'd guess that Serpent boy would leave the Serpents, tell the gang some juicy info, and join Riverdale High for Season 2 (assuming he's not older than high school ag). However, since the early promise of Kevin's story involvement has almost entirely faded, I'm guessing Kevin will break up with him (either off-camera or on) and that'll be that.

I really wish the show was incorporating Kevin more. He's one of my favorite characters and consistently has some pretty great comedic lines. When he's involved, it's my sense that the scenes tend to be lighter, more grounded, and less wrapped up in the drama, which are all positives for me. However, I'm not surprised that ABJV are getting the majority of the screentime.

I'm glad that Josie is becoming a bigger presence, but I'm also surprised by it. If I had to choose between more Josie or more Kevin, I'd give it to Kevin.

Pluto

I'm glad that Josie is becoming a bigger presence, but I'm also surprised by it. If I had to choose between more Josie or more Kevin, I'd give it to Kevin.
I think the reason for that is because Josie's a main character and Kevin is not. For season 2 I think they'll try to sign up Casey Cott as a regular, he's too good to risk losing him to another project. Moose, Reggie etc. aren't that important, if they stick around that's fine but should the show lose them it's not like their roles couldn't be filled by other characters. Reggie is just the douche jock and Moose might as well not exist after the pilot. I would like them to have bigger parts but so far ... meh.

If it wasn't for some much needed diversity I think the Pussycats should be dropped from the show, so far they haven't added much and how many opportunities will they find for them to perform in that dinky little town?

Fuu

I expect we'll get one more episode with Serpent boy at some point. If they ever need a way of getting more info on the Serpents (say...
their involvement in the car burning and maybe the murder
), Kevin's beau could be the way to do it. (Either that or snooping on Jughead's dad, which is probably the more likely approach.) If Kevin were a main character, I'd guess that Serpent boy would leave the Serpents, tell the gang some juicy info, and join Riverdale High for Season 2 (assuming he's not older than high school ag). However, since the early promise of Kevin's story involvement has almost entirely faded, I'm guessing Kevin will break up with him (either off-camera or on) and that'll be that.

I really wish the show was incorporating Kevin more. He's one of my favorite characters and consistently has some pretty great comedic lines. When he's involved, it's my sense that the scenes tend to be lighter, more grounded, and less wrapped up in the drama, which are all positives for me. However, I'm not surprised that ABJV are getting the majority of the screentime.

Narratively Kevin's treatment as a character is a lock for him to end up having been involved in the murder somehow. A character that's always there with the main ones, who gets just the right amount of screentime to work as a shocking reveal. I personally hope that's not the case and it's just a product of them having to juggle with so many characters. It is disappointing that the stuff with Moose and Joaquin led nowhere.

Regarding the Pussycats I feel like they're in a similar position to Archie right now: too many of their scenes are about their musical aspirations. The musical aspects of the show are here to stay and, even though they're not bad, they're always the weakest part of each episode because everyone else is doing more interesting things.

At this point I wouldn't mind if Archie, Josie and Val's music stopped being on the forefront and it was treated like Betty and Jug's newspaper, Reggie's football, Hermione's jobs, Fred's company, Cheryl's cheerleading, etc - just background busywork that helps move their development and the story forward instead of being the focus of their dialogue and activities.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think the reason for that is because Josie's a main character and Kevin is not. For season 2 I think they'll try to sign up Casey Cott as a regular, he's too good to risk losing him to another project. Moose, Reggie etc. aren't that important, if they stick around that's fine but should the show lose them it's not like their roles couldn't be filled by other characters. Reggie is just the douche jock and Moose might as well not exist after the pilot. I would like them to have bigger parts but so far ... meh.

If it wasn't for some much needed diversity I think the Pussycats should be dropped from the show, so far they haven't added much and how many opportunities will they find for them to perform in that dinky little town?

I just did some reading on Wikipedia, and I hadn't realized Casey Cott was only a recurring actor and not a regular, like you pointed out. Looking at who the other recurring actors are, I think I place more value on his presence than I do most of the other characters on that list combined. I didn't realize Josie was part of the regular cast, which I agree makes her recent story developments (and the fact that she's cementing herself more and more in the main group) make a lot more sense. I would not have guessed she was a regular and Kevin was not based on the opening few episodes of the show. I really hope Casey becomes a regular with Season 2.

I agree that the Pussycats are mostly boring. Despite her bigger presence, Valerie does not feel like her own person; her scenes are always dependent on Archie or Josie. I enjoyed learning about Josie's family, though. Her fighting for her father's approval was the first time I cared about her character beyond being a cool addition to the show's soundtrack. If we get more of that vulnerable and driven character stuck between two parents and if she can believably be linked to the social group via Veronica and Archie, I wouldn't mind her continuing to get the spotlight.

Narratively Kevin's treatment as a character is a lock for him to end up having been involved in the murder somehow. A character that's always there with the main ones, who gets just the right amount of screentime to work as a shocking reveal. I personally hope that's not the case and it's just a product of them having to juggle with so many characters. It is disappointing that the stuff with Moose and Joaquin led nowhere.

Regarding the Pussycats I feel like they're in a similar position to Archie right now: too many of their scenes are about their musical aspirations. The musical aspects of the show are here to stay and, even though they're not bad, they're always the weakest part of each episode because everyone else is doing more interesting things.

At this point I wouldn't mind if Archie, Josie and Val's music stopped being on the forefront and it was treated like Betty and Jug's newspaper, Reggie's football, Hermione's jobs, Fred's company, Cheryl's cheerleading, etc - just background busywork that helps move their development and the story forward instead of being the focus of their dialogue and activities.

Noooooo, I certainly hope that's not the case! I can't even imagine that being true, given that he's mostly a comedic figure for the scenes and a consistently affable presence for the main cast. Unlike most of the cast, the morality of his character isn't nuanced (the worst I can recall he's been is judgmental in a preppy manner, which got turned around quickly with Joaquin), so it'd be a big surprise to me if he suddenly turned out to be involved in a murder. I really hope your expectation is wrong!

I can agree with your suggestion for the music storyline. It being the background to other stories sounds good to me. Honestly, I found Josie's one episode exploring how her family views and treats her music aspirations more interesting than all of Archie's "How do I balance football and music? Does my dad support me?" dilemmas.

ZeroX03

Banned
What are they doing with this? That is a bad decision.

To be fair, it probably would've gone on a break earlier if it was any other show. I think they're trying to limit the on/off with this to a big chunk, they're trying to build an audience and have obligations to Netflix.

Does CW usually do this with their shows mid season? I wonder if March Madness has anything to do with the break. Games were on last Thursday and this Thursday, and I wonder if they just didn't want the audience to take a hit. Just a thought.

Next week we're back though!

Also, the comics are teasing killing off an important character at the end of their Over the Edge event. Exciting times.

Joni

Does CW usually do this with their shows mid season? I wonder if March Madness has anything to do with the break. Games were on last Thursday and this Thursday, and I wonder if they just didn't want the audience to take a hit. Just a thought.

Yes and Yes. It doesn't make it sting any less.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorry if this is old, but what are the chances of the scooby gang really showing up in this in like season 2? :D

Like the literal Scooby Gang from Scooby-Doo? I'd say pretty low. It's not impossible though. DC Comics does publish the Scooby comics. And there has been a very recent push of modernizing all the popular Hanna-Barbera series. Scooby, Wacky Raceland, The Flintstones, and Future Quest are all back with slightly darker tones. So plopping the Scooby Gang in Riverdale wouldn't even be off brand at this point. It's just hard for me to imagine them going for it.

It would definitely get a lot of headlines. I would love it.

Grizzlyjin

Show is back this thursday.

Finally! Anybody else notice how much this show has blown up on social media, especially Instagram and Tumblr? They thirsty for it.

Fuu

Finally! Anybody else notice how much this show has blown up on social media, especially Instagram and Tumblr? They thirsty for it.
I'm glad it's seeing that kind of growth. It's the kind of show that encourages people to get invested in the characters, and it helps that the cast is in on it by joking around, tweeting gifs and whatnot (and being attractive as fuck, lol). It probably won't translate to live numbers, but VOD might see a spike.

ZeroX03

Banned
Back tomorrow! You guys are going to be absolutely blown away by the final six eps!!

Don't tell me how to feel.

#1.08 "Chapter Eight: The Outsiders"
Episode Promo
THE BEST LAID PLANS - As Fred (Luke Perry) and his crew are about to start construction he loses his crew, which could put his livelihood in jeopardy. Wanting to help his dad, Archie (KJ Apa) and his friends pitch in to help but after one of them is attacked, the gang comes up with a plan that lands them in Southside Serpent territory. With Jughead's (Cole Sprouse) secret revealed, he is worried about how his friends will react. Meanwhile, Veronica (Camila Mendes) and Betty (Lili Reinhart) suggest throwing Polly (guest star Tiera Skovbye) a baby shower to make her feel better, but Polly is hesitant knowing how everyone feels. Marisol Nichols, Madchen Amick, Madelaine Petsch and Ashleigh Murray also star. David Katzenberg directed the episode written by Julia Cohen (#108).
rvd108b-0453b-238472.jpg

Top Bottom