• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Healthcare bill will be revised to gain GOP support for Thursday vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Able bodied medicaid recipients?

Pardon my ignorant Canadian ways but isn't medicaid for vets and old people?

Medicaid expansion states when Obamacare went into effect changed that. If your household income is below 133% of the federal poverty level, you qualify.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, so we're going even deeper, then?

Basically "you will crank out children and work until you literally die on the job?"

OK perfect.

I'm pretty sure that's the letterhead on all official republican stationary.

Ac30

Medicaid expansion states when Obamacare went into effect changed that. If your household income is below 133% of the federal poverty level, you qualify.

Huh, Medicaid for all sorta has become a thing then

If your state allowed it, lol

zethren

Banned
I spoke briefly with someone who supports Trump's healthcare plan because "he didn't call it 'Trumpcare' the way Obama vainly labeled his 'Obamacare'."

I stared in the eyes of stupid.

RDreamer

I spoke briefly with someone who supports Trump's healthcare plan because "he didn't call it 'Trumpcare' the way Obama vainly labeled his 'Obamacare'."

I stared in the eyes of stupid.

blank-stare-mike-woodson.gif

What does "block grant Medicaid" mean?

The way it works currently, everyone who qualifies is guaranteed coverage and states and the federal government combine funds to cover the costs. When they turn it into a block grant, they basically say "Ok we're giving you X amount per capita to spend as you wish." The increase of the block grant each year is also tied to something with slower growth than costs will actually be. Since it's not open ended anymore, states wouldn't necessarily get more money to compensate if, say, more people qualified for Medicaid because of an economic downturn. Also, if an expensive new drug entered the market, or a costly new disease emerged, the Medicaid budgets still wouldn't change to reflect that.

Good.

If Trump keeps distance from this it won't hurt him. Let him endorse it 100%. Then any shitty tiny piece of it, has been fully endorsed by Donald Trump and it can be hung around his neck forever should it pass.

Or, if it falls on its face (which still strikes me as the most probable outcome) then he absolutely has that loss further stinking up his reputation, and he spends political capital doing so.

Unless he openly comes out against the bill, it's his.

Maxim726X

So, it's gonna be even worse? Neat!

So, even if he did actually convince members of the House to support it... That would mean he probably made it more extreme (i.e. cut off Medicaid by next year). Moderates won't be too happy about that

He's kinda fucked, because if he did make any changes like that the Senate Republicans will just shoot it down as it screws over their constituency.

Armaros

So, even if he did actually convince members of the House to support it... That would mean he probably made it more extreme (i.e. cut off Medicaid by next year). Moderates won't be too happy about that

He's kinda fucked, because if he did make any changes like that the Senate Republicans will just shoot it down as it screws over their constituency.

And remember a huge chunk of the people losing coverage happens in one year. Right in th Middle of midterm elections. The growing number of people getting kicked off health insurance would be a live tally right as everyone is campaigning.

AndyD

aka andydumi
blank-stare-mike-woodson.gif

The way it works currently, everyone who qualifies is guaranteed coverage and states and the federal government combine funds to cover the costs. When they turn it into a block grant, they basically say "Ok we're giving you X amount per capita to spend as you wish." The increase of the block grant each year is also tied to something with slower growth than costs will actually be. Since it's not open ended anymore, states wouldn’t necessarily get more money to compensate if, say, more people qualified for Medicaid because of an economic downturn. Also, if an expensive new drug entered the market, or a costly new disease emerged, the Medicaid budgets still wouldn’t change to reflect that.

To correct this, there are two approaches.
- A true block grant - you spent 1 billion total on Medicaid in 2016, from now on you get 1 billion forever (plus inflation or soemthing along those lines).
- A capitated grant - you spent 1000 per member in 2016, from now on you get 1000 per member plus inflation.

So either way you create a baseline and set it in stone. Of note, the first true block gives you a hard money cap. The second gives you a cap per person, so in some variations, if you sign up healthy people you can increase your overall grant and then use some of it to help sick people.

Maxim726X

And remember a huge chunk of the people losing coverage happens in one year. Right in th Middle of midterm elections. The growing number of people getting kicked off health insurance would be a live tally right as everyone is campaigning.

Right, so in reality they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I don't want to Trump administration to score a victory here... To have this defeated in the House would make him look nothing short of completely incompetent.

But, if this bill does somehow pass- there are going to be a lot of angry, newly uninsured Americans, who may finally be motivated to get off their ass and vote.

Able bodied medicaid recipients?

Pardon my ignorant Canadian ways but isn't medicaid for vets and old people?
It's Medicare that you're thinking of, btw, which is on the list of what's often called "entitlement programs" along with Social Security. Note that Americans pay into the system continuously their whole lives (it's automatically deducted from our paychecks) so it's not like we're getting a free ride. God I hate it when people forget that part. You can call it a future investment into your own health care for after you retire, if you'd like. Don't feel bad when I'm sure most Americans wouldn't know how to explain the difference. It's almost as though just offering health care to everyone would be simpler or something. Go figure.

Gallbaro

Banned
It's Medicare that you're thinking of, btw, which is on the list of what's often called "entitlement programs" along with Social Security. Note that Americans pay into the system continuously their whole lives (it's automatically deducted from our paychecks) so it's not like we're getting a free ride. God I hate it when people forget that part. You can call it a future investment into your own health care for after you retire, if you'd like. Don't feel bad when I'm sure most Americans wouldn't know how to explain the difference. It's almost as though just offering health care to everyone would be simpler or something. Go figure.

It's not really an investment scheme, it's purely a redistribution scheme at this point. Granted you expect to be redistributed to when you are that age.

Joe Manchin is not going to vote for a health care bill that negatively affects his constituents. This bill kills the Black Lung benefits. So he is not basically a republican and you should take a good look as to why he's a benefit.

How could I not be benefited by someone voting a Klansman into the AG spot?

Given how conservative West Virginia is, and thus how conservative a generic WV senator should be, Manchin is literally the most valuable Senate vote Democrats have.

"Black people ain't shit".

Xe4

Banned
Given how conservative West Virginia is, and thus how conservative a generic WV senator should be, Manchin is literally the most valuable Senate vote Democrats have.
Yup, people seem to want a 50 state strategy, yet don't understand what a 50 state strategy entails (hint: in red states you run people to win, meaning they're going to be more conservative)
How could I not be benefited by someone voting a Klansman into the AG spot?

Do you live in West Virginia?

pigeon

Banned
Would you rather have a republican senator? Because I can guarantee he could fuck you over way harder than Manchin did.

Yeah, a Republican might go so far as to vote for a white supremacist to lead the Justice Department. Could you imagine?

Yup, people seem to want a 50 state strategy, yet don't understand what a 50 state strategy entails (hint: in red states you run people to win, meaning they're going to be more conservative)

Screw that, these moderates and red state Democrats need to bow before the overwhelming progressive majority (that didn't turn any of these states blue last November). But still!

While Bernie's message does have wide support among a lot of people, I think that people wrongly assume that there's enough support for a full on progressive 50 state strategy. What they think is a 50 state strategy is probably a 20 state strategy.

Yeah, a Republican might go so far as to vote for a white supremacist to lead the Justice Department. Could you imagine?
Pretty much. The only way white supremacy is going to go anywhere is if we actively fight against it wherever and whenever it pops up. If we accept it as a given that it will always be a choice between one white supremacist and another in certain states, then it's no surprise that such points of view will go nowhere and stay in fashion since Boone's even trying to challenge them! That's a pretty good reason for someone to in fact step up to the plate and do something about that!

Of course, victory may be unlikely but it's impossible if people choose to do nothing and accept it as a given fact that it's impossible. Another very good reason to actively fight it, in order to actually start sowing seeds for the future at the very, very least and sticking up for principles like white supremacy being a no good, very bad, terrible thing.

shem935

Banned
Sorry/not sorry but at some point a line needs to be drawn. Racism is that line. Manchin deserves his ass canned for voting for a klansman. For decades older generations of minorities have been giving democrats a pass because of laws they passed decades ago. Younger generations aren't. We are undermining our base if we show that we won't stand firm in support of them.

Xe4

Banned

I can imagine a republican from WV going a lot farther than Manchin in a ton of respects, from race relations, to education, and more. I'd rather have a red democrat than an very red republican any day of the week. Luckily I don't live in WV so I don't have to make that choice. If I did though, there would be no question.

It's unbelievable how many tax breaks the upper class is already getting that the GOP feel the need to give them a very minor health care tax break on top of everything else. Something that poor people NEED. This is terrorism for poor people.

Bishman

Frank Thorp
@frankthorp

Rep Collins (R-NY) says Trump told House GOP that if they pass AHCA they gain 10 senate seats, & if they don't they lost their majorities

John Bresnahan‏
@BresPolitico

Trump to House Rs on AHCA vote: "I honestly think many of you will lose your seats in 2018 if you don't get this done."

Manu Raju‏
@mkraju

TRUMP warns House GOP of "political problems" if health care fails. "No details" on policy, laments Rep. Walter Jones, who is still a 'no'

Trump is going to throw the Paul Ryan and the House GOP under the bus when this bill fails Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom