• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Black/Latina Women and Girls are Going Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
So I noticed over my Spring Break, that a lot of black women and girls were going missing. Saw it on Twitter and thought, huh that's weird. But it's still happening. Hundres of black women and girls have gone missing over the past few weeks yet there has been little to no coverage about this on most news outlets. A couple of articles have been written, but this is terrifying.

The stories of young black girls and women who are missing don't get the Elizabeth Smart or Natalee Holloway treatment. We don't see primetime television specials on them. Their images don't become permanent fixtures on Twitter. Their names don't get hashtags or trending topics. Nationwide manhunts or search parties don't ensue. Crying black parents, pleading for their children to be found, don't interrupt our sitcoms as breaking news.

Washington, D.C., appears to have a particular problem. Two young black girls, Shaniah Boyd and Chareah Payne, have gone missing just this past week and many other open cases remain open from 2017 alone.

Officials in D.C. are quick to say that 95% of the cases of disappearing girls and women have been resolved, but the fact remains that of the 5% that haven't, all 37 of the girls and women are black and Latina. This trend is not unique to D.C. Black girls and women represent an outrageously disproportionate percentage of the number of people missing in this country.
Several media outlets, including Essence and TeenVogue, began to write about the topic, discovering that in January, there were as many as 15 open cases of missing black and latinx girls in DC, getting little more than local media coverage and some tweets from the police department. Although this number is alarming, it speaks to a much larger issue going on in our country that is failing to make top stories on evening news programs.

Black women and girls are missing, and no one is doing anything about it.

Social workers in Relisha’s case excused her over 30 days of absences by a “Dr. Tatum” without ever following up on if he was an actual doctor. Dr. Tatum was really a man named Kahlil Tatum who police determined was actually her captor. The lack of follow up and follow through on those whose jobs it is to protect and serve the minority often let us slip through the cracks, labeling black children as “runaways” or “truants” instead of “captives.”

THE ARTICLES:
http://thegrio.com/2017/03/21/black-women-and-girls-are-missing-and-no-one-seems-to-care/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-no-accident-hear-missing-black-girls-article-1.3005609

I remember hearing about it but It was nowhere near this bad when I heard about it. Good on you Lion for raising awareness and actually trying to do something. Super fucked up that it's being swept under the rug, but not surprising for obvious reasons. Anyway, good OP and hopefully some Gaffers are able to make a difference.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sorry OP, April the Giraffe is Pregnant and already 1 month late
News media is on baby giraffe watch!

Missing people get found eventually /s, right now it's miracle time!

LionPride

Banned
Sorry OP, April the Giraffe is Pregnant and already 1 month late
News media is on baby giraffe watch!

Missing people get found eventually /s, right now it's miracle time!
This has been an issue for years, but your right. These fluff pieces matter more than the lives of black woman and girls and Latina women and girls

akira28

They're being sold into sex trafficking. It's fucking horrific and the cops don't give a fuck.

That's one supposition, but if that were the case, they should not disappear off of the face of the earth. I think that's just a useful excuse, because then they can just claim the women and girls are just gone, out of their jurisdiction, and they don't have to look for them.

sex trafficked women engage a lot of people. if they were out of the country in a place where no one spoke their language, that's one thing. Hundreds of women disappearing when all it takes is one woman to say "help, i've been kidnapped" to bring down the massive sex slavery machine, it doesn't add up.

people find domestically sex trafficked women all the time, and its usually across multi-state lines and due to coercion that turned into a captive situation. It is extremely rare that women are just snatched off of the street and put into that life.

jackal27

Banned
I'm a sex educator in Missouri and we do almost an entire day on sex trafficking because of how common it is now. 6 cases that I know of in our small area just last year. All 6 of them were black/Hispanic.

They are targeted for all the reasons listed above. Disgusting and horrific. It's much worse in larger cities.

Don't forget that many of these girls and women are groomed and coaxed into it with debts, gifts, drugs, etc. Many of them are targeted specifically to cut them off from healthy peer and adult relationships. More isolated teenage girls in particular are much more likely to be targeted.

Would absolutely make sense if it's spiking over spring break. Women/girls traveling away from home to places they're not familiar with, possibly even to meet up someone they've never even met in real life.

I live in Trinidad (island with a population of 1.3 million) and every week at least 3 women go missing
It's been happening a lot lately. This one happened 2 days ago (see below)

A 36-YEAR-OLD Malabar woman who was abducted on Sunday by a man and woman was found in a dazed state wandering along the beach near the Manzanilla Beach Resort yesterday............

sometime on Tuesday night she was taken to the Manzanilla beach by her abductors who attempted to put her in a boat which contained men speaking Spanish.
http://newsday.co.tt/news/0,241384.html

Brakke

Banned
Sort of disingenuous to cite Elizabeth Smart and Natalee Holloway, each having disappeared more then ten years ago. Hell, both cases predate Twitter; national news landscape is totally different today.

These sources are pretty thin: "How often do you see an Amber Alert when the child is black or brown versus when the child is white?" is the sort of question I expect a reporter to answer for me, not just toss out there. Are national media coverage or Amber Alerts even effective? How effective?

Ignorance showing but how come so little get done about human trafficking? Isn't that just slavery?

Is it the case that "so little" is being done? The only number there says 95% of disappearing girls / women show back up (in D.C.). Not all of those are trafficking cases of course. But are we doing worse than we should expect? I dunno, some problems are intractable whatever resources you devote to them.

I dunno I feel like I don't understand the situation here any better than I did twenty minutes ago.

daffy

Banned
Tina Fey — 'Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don't just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles.'

Thanks for posting this OP, I didn't know it was getting even worse.

Looking at the pictures of those missing girls... it's frustrating.

Lubricus

A couple of stories from this month. Examples of a major problem.

Like most American teens, Chicago-area twin brothers Tyrelle and Myrelle Lockett hung out a lot at the mall.

But they weren't there to gossip with friends or have a soft pretzel and a smoothie. Federal prosecutors say the Lockett brothers were sent to shopping centers by their father, Nathan Nicholson, to lure vulnerable young girls into the family's lucrative sex trafficking business.

Once they took the bait, the underage victims were brought to an abandoned house in the south suburbs for a photo shoot in swimsuits and slinky dresses and coerced into having their "skills tested" by having sex with the twins, according to court records.

Before they knew it, the girls were being pimped in online sites, meeting clients for sex in hotel rooms and private homes at rates of $100 or more an hour. They gave almost all of the money they earned to the Lockett brothers and their dad, and were slapped, choked and even threatened with death if they tried to escape, according to federal prosecutors.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-father-sons-sex-trafficking-met-20170323-story.html

The study also cited research findings from 2007 that Atlanta's illegal sex industry generates around $290 million a year.
"It's a big city. There's a lot to do in Atlanta. A lot of conventions, a lot of hotels, a lot of parties going on, a lot of events," said Sgt. Torrey Kennedy with the DeKalb County Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Unit. "So just like any businessmen, these traffickers know that."
A big part of Atlanta's draw is the airport, which is the busiest in the world.

"(A) man could get on that computer, anonymously, say, 'I'm coming in to go have sex with this child.' He'll fly in on a 3:00 flight, meet the child at 6:00, and be gone on the 8:00," said Dalia Racine, assistant district attorney for DeKalb County, which includes part of Atlanta. "How are we to ever find them? How are we to ever know who they are?"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/us/sex-trafficking/

Talk to your younger siblings about this, let them know the danger is out there.

Unfortunately I can't say that I am too surprised. Black and Latino women are much easier to abduct due to the lack of priority they are in the eyes of the system.

This was one of the many issues Get Out highlighted perfectly.

Ogodei

That's one supposition, but if that were the case, they should not disappear off of the face of the earth. I think that's just a useful excuse, because then they can just claim the women and girls are just gone, out of their jurisdiction, and they don't have to look for them.

sex trafficked women engage a lot of people. if they were out of the country in a place where no one spoke their language, that's one thing. Hundreds of women disappearing when all it takes is one woman to say "help, i've been kidnapped" to bring down the massive sex slavery machine, it doesn't add up.

people find domestically sex trafficked women all the time, and its usually across multi-state lines and due to coercion that turned into a captive situation. It is extremely rare that women are just snatched off of the street and put into that life.

Part of it is that domestically trafficked women are still treated as (voluntary) prostitutes as far as the law goes. You're actually better off being a captured woman from Romania or Sri Lanka, because you get treated as a victim if you manage to out yourself. Domestic trafficking victims (if used for the sex trade) just go to jail because there's no legal category for that.

I didn't realize that black/latina women were specifically going missing at this rate.

The topic reminded me of a story from last week involving two young sisters going missing overnight in the Atlanta metro area. I just checked to see what happened, and fortunately the girls were found safe after a 12 hour search. They spent the night sleeping in a dog house not far from home.

drspeedy

This is the scariest thing I've read in... Maybe ever. People are awful.

This is downright disgusting. Please talk to your young daughters, they may be embarrassed or ashamed, but better aware than abducted. Damn.

Malyse

Yeah, we've been talking about this on tumblr for a few weeks now. Shit's concerning.

There was a case with an austistic girl who snapchatted this:

tumblr_omnxwlcRrA1vgxzt5o1_540.png

She's been found, but the suspicion is this is some type of child sex slavery ring.

Malyse

Are Washington girls really going missing?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39384008

hmm
Did you even read that article or just link the first thing you found that might refute the topic? Jesus Christ.
Yep. A lot of these articles lack any context to actually inform. Because selling an abduction epidemic is more newsworthy than the fact that this always happens.
Hell the alt-right are using this for political points because of alleged child trafficking tied with the Clintons.
Did you read it either? No one is disputing that the girls are missing. Literally that's not the question. Even if there isn't an epidemic, there's still way too fucking many and should be adresssed. And colored girls going missing doesn't get play like the cases mentioned in the OP. I swear sometimes people.

Fuchsdh

Did you even read that article or just link the first thing you found that might refute the topic? Jesus Christ.
Did you?

Did you read it either? No one is disputing that the girls are missing. Literally that's not the question.
No, it is. Because the title of the OP is "hundreds of girls going missing" like it's some mystery and a recent phenomen that started this spring. It's not talking about this as a sustained problem that at least in D.C.'s case is actually improving. (It in fact singles out D.C. With no evidence its policing is worse or that their trafficking problem is worse.) its shit journalism that isn't actually illuminating the problem.

Violet_0

Banned
ignoring for a moment that there's a deeper social problem here, the thread title kind of contradicts the numbers given by the police department
to be honest, I'm not even sure if the OP read the article snippets they provided because some of them mention that fact

LionPride

Banned
ignoring for a moment that there's a deeper social problem here, the thread title kind of contradicts the numbers given by the police department
to be honest, I'm not even sure if the OP read the article snippets they provided because some of them mention that fact
No I've read, it's just that it appears to be a major issue right now and it seems to be hundreds across the country with a shit ton in DC

Violet_0

Banned
No I've read, it's just that it appears to be a major issue right now and it seems to be hundreds across the country with a shit ton in DC

but it appears that, in Washington, the number is slightly lower than in previous years. What are the statistics for the rest of the country?

Sunster

Ignorance showing but how come so little get done about human trafficking? Isn't that just slavery?

Yes it is. This is what modern slavery is, women and girls around the world being taken and sold into forced prostitution. There are more slaves right now than at any point in human history. Posters above are right, surely all these girls are not being sex trafficked right now. But without a doubt many of them are, this is a HUGE issue, it's a tragedy that's taking place every hour of the day worldwide and should be in the news each and every day in all countries. Especially SE Asian countries.

But I don't mean to detract from the specific situation in this thread about American girls.

Brakke

Banned
Buzzfeed put in some work on this: https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/heres-whats-going-on-with-the-missing-black-teens-in-dc

The growing chorus calling for action comes after DC police began a new practice of publicizing missing person fliers on Twitter in hopes they could be located faster.

Police have tweeted 20 missing person fliers since March 19 (10 of which are for minors), which have led many to believe the number of missing persons has dramatically increased — however, DC police told NBC Washington this is not true.

"We've just been posting them on social media more often," Rachel Reid, a spokesperson for the DC Metro Police Department, said.

The number of missing person reports in DC has actually decreased in 2017 compared to recent years.​

Also, in a weird twist, this "story" is catching some traction on The_Donald subreddit. Reading their threads, I suppose they're tryna 1) slag on MSM "incompetency", 2) pretend to care about black people, and 3) maintain the crazy narrative of pedophilia lurking in the background of government.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BBC: Are Washington girls really going missing?

Metro Police Department (MPD) has always shared some missing persons on social media, but early this year the new police commander decided to use Twitter for every critical case.

"If more people in the public are aware, then that's more eyes on the road for us," said Alaina Gertz, a spokesperson for the department.

Since then, the faces behind the nearly 200 people - many of them children, many of them female - who go missing each month have loomed large on social media.

Many see the missing person tweets but often miss the follow-up tweets once someone has been found, says Gertz.

The result is a sense that girls in DC are going missing at an alarming rate - and that no one is paying attention.

[...]

But the MPD says there is no uptick in missing girls - and most of those who have gone missing in 2017 have been found quickly.

[...]

In fact, the numbers have gone down slightly, from an average of 200 missing cases each month in 2016 to 190 in 2017.

Most of the cases have been closed within 24 to 48 hours. The vast majority of the 501 cases involving missing children opened this year have already been closed, and many of the missing children were attempted runaways.

Twenty-two people under 21 are currently missing in DC. That count routinely changes as police find missing children and as new cases are filed.

"We have no indication to believe young girls in the District are being preyed upon by human traffickers in large numbers," Commander Chanel Dickerson said at a news conference on 16 March.

Also, in a weird twist, this "story" is catching some traction on The_Donald subreddit. Reading their threads, I suppose they're tryna 1) slag on MSM "incompetency", 2) pretend to care about black people, and 3) maintain the crazy narrative of pedophilia lurking in the background of government.

The missing black/latina girls have been all over my twitter feed for a while even though I'm on the opposite side of the US. Pizzagate rally is in my feed today and I was wondering if the crazies would put both together. I don't think it will catch on though, cuz I doubt the overlap between pizzagaters and people who care about black people is very big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom