• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

h3ro

these are the blades i have accumulated after about a year of DE shaving. if anyone wants a 'review' or something, let me know.

gybWj.jpg

Yes, please! Did you start with a sampler pack?

Jake.

na, the first blades i ever used were dorco 300's because they came with my first DE razor (a weishi). then after that i just bought random ones i had read about from my barber and/or west coast shaving.

i generally find that if there is an option between platinium or stainless steel, that the stainless steel version shaves better for me.

in preference from best to worst (as with everything in shaving, 'ymmv'):

derby.
personna reds
gillette sharp edge.
feather.
gillette super platinum.
dorco.
astra stainless.
shark.
crystal.
merkur (not pictured).
wilkinson sword (not pictured).
astra platinum (these have given the worst shave/razorburn i have ever had. they are quite popular though, so you might find them okay).

i currently use a edwin jagger DE86 and generally switch between derby's and personna reds.

i have really dry, sensitive skin and a very thick, coarse beard (which grows in multiple directions on my neck) for reference.

if you want more details about a particular blade, just google the blade. the problem with reviews is though that everyone's skin and hair is completely different - one person might love a feather for example, and another hates it. that's why 'your mileage may vary' is used all the time - you only need to spend two seconds on a shaving forum to see that almost everyone has different preferences due to what they find works best. saying all that, i still (and will probably always) recommend dorco 300's for total beginners.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Buying expensive shaving equipment is the epitome of just making a simple thing complicated in order to obtain illusory cool points (i.e. "hipster cred").

Sorry. :(

Pretty much any razor you can buy anywhere can give you a fully acceptable shave.

Czar Vodka gets you drunk, yet some people drink single malt whisky.

Tess3ract

Banned
I keep wanting to pull the trigger, but I dunno.

I have literally perfect skin. I can count on one hand the number of zits I have gotten on my face through my life and Im 35 now. My job doesnt require I shave so I do it every Sunday and I just splash water on a disposable to just shape up my facial hair during the week.

Not sure this would be worth it to me. Looks fun, though.
Some basic reasons:

1. highish upfront cost, low low overall cost. You spend more at first but blades last for fucking ever and are cheaper over time than disposables.
2. ingrown hairs generally does not happen with 1 blade, compared to the multiblade ones
3. because the blades are essentially surgical steel, you always get a better cut than a disposable
4. most men find shaving this way turns a chore into something fun. You no longer go "ugh lets get this over with" like you do with disposables. It takes longer, or can if you're a newbie, but it's extremely rewarding.

Kreed

Yes, I'm sure this is all a scheme to save money, as opposed to finding something to be snobby about that the rest of the internet hasn't found yet.

If you'd read the entire thread, you'd know that many of us have issues with traditional razors because of our hair type/skin and being more prone to getting razor bumps, razor burn and/or ingrown hairs from multi-bladed cartridge razors you typically find in the store. And for those of us that have to use alternatives to avoid these issues (electric razors, hair removal creams/powders, barber shops, etc...), wet shaving is WAY less expensive than that and a lot less time consuming.

Giard

Does anyone here use a DE89 with Feather blades? Are you getting any nicks or cuts? I'm starting to think that my Merkur 38C might be too aggressive for my face when using sharp blades.

TCRS

Banned
Just reading this thread has transformed my daily dull shaving routine to something I actually enjoy. I still use a Gillette Mach 3 with Gillette shaving gel, but following a proper method feels so much better than just randomly shaving and not giving a fuck about how to apply shaving gel, in which direction to shave etc.

It has also reduced the razor bumps. For some reason I always shaved before taking a shower, used to stretch my skin to get rid of stubble and applied too much pressure. That's what caused those razor bumps me thinks. So yeah, thanks for the yt links.

I'll definitively look into safety razors and proper shaving lather and other products. I have already switched from alcohol based aftershave to aftershave balm. Feels so much better.

Kosmo

Banned
na, the first blades i ever used were dorco 300's because they came with my first DE razor (a weishi). then after that i just bought random ones i had read about from my barber and/or west coast shaving.

i generally find that if there is an option between platinium or stainless steel, that the stainless steel version shaves better for me.

in preference from best to worst (as with everything in shaving, 'ymmv'):

derby.
personna reds
gillette sharp edge.
feather.
gillette super platinum.
dorco.
astra stainless.
shark.
crystal.
merkur (not pictured).
wilkinson sword (not pictured).
astra platinum (these have given the worst shave/razorburn i have ever had. they are quite popular though, so you might find them okay).

i currently use a edwin jagger DE86 and generally switch between derby's and personna reds.

i have really dry, sensitive skin and a very thick, coarse beard (which grows in multiple directions on my neck) for reference.

if you want more details about a particular blade, just google the blade. the problem with reviews is though that everyone's skin and hair is completely different - one person might love a feather for example, and another hates it. that's why 'your mileage may vary' is used all the time - you only need to spend two seconds on a shaving forum to see that almost everyone has different preferences due to what they find works best. saying all that, i still (and will probably always) recommend dorco 300's for total beginners.

Derby's are that good? You can get a 100 pack for $9.99 off Amazon.

Giard

IIRC, they had a great reputation before, but they changed the manufacturing process and are now considered as being a pretty dull blade (the writing is vertical on the new packages, before it was horizontal).

Of course, it could still do a great job depending on your type of skin and beard.

Tess3ract

Banned
don't buy 100 of any blade before trying them out, that's just dumb.
Especially since even 50 blades can potentially last you like 2 years depending on how dull you're willing to let the blade go and how often you shave.

Just reading this thread has transformed my daily dull shaving routine to something I actually enjoy. I still use a Gillette Mach 3 with Gillette shaving gel, but following a proper method feels so much better than just randomly shaving and not giving a fuck about how to apply shaving gel, in which direction to shave etc.

It has also reduced the razor bumps. For some reason I always shaved before taking a shower, used to stretch my skin to get rid of stubble and applied too much pressure. That's what caused those razor bumps me thinks. So yeah, thanks for the yt links.

I'll definitively look into safety razors and proper shaving lather and other products. I have already switched from alcohol based aftershave to aftershave balm. Feels so much better.

You're getting ingrown hairs because the blades pull the skin up and cut the hairs below the actual surface of the skin. Less pressure works a little but it doesn't change the design faults of the razor.

Esch

Banned
Buying expensive shaving equipment is the epitome of just making a simple thing complicated in order to obtain illusory cool points (i.e. "hipster cred").

Sorry. :(

Pretty much any razor you can buy anywhere can give you a fully acceptable shave.

Funny thing about this is that my granddad told me about it before the internet ever did. lol.

pax217

I keep wanting to pull the trigger, but I dunno.

I have literally perfect skin. I can count on one hand the number of zits I have gotten on my face through my life and Im 35 now. My job doesnt require I shave so I do it every Sunday and I just splash water on a disposable to just shape up my facial hair during the week.

Not sure this would be worth it to me. Looks fun, though.

It's necessary that I shave daily, and I follow a lot of the techniques and use a lot of the equipment mentioned in this forum-- but only because shaving is a good 15-25% of my morning routine... I would still be using the Mach3 if I didn't have to.

That said, I do enjoy the shave I get, and when I take-it-easy on Sat/Sun mornings I do actually enjoy my shave; even if it is a bit more technical than it could/used to be.

IIRC, they had a great reputation before, but they changed the manufacturing process and are now considered as being a pretty dull blade (the writing is vertical on the new packages, before it was horizontal).

Of course, it could still do a great job depending on your type of skin and beard.
Yeah, I remember reading about it and that cutting into wine cork helps...*googles*
CrOoh.jpg

http://www.shavingzone.com/2010/03/corking-a-razor-blades/

I’m a big fan of Derby blades. They’re a great value and in my review, I gave them 4.5 out of 5 stars. But recently, a lot of people have started to complain that the quality of Derby blades has gone down hill. KWyKJJ, that poor soul, bought 500 of ‘em before finding out they aren’t as good as they used to be! Speculation has it that Derby changed something in their manufacturing process that caused more burrs along the edge of the blade. It seems to have affected only the blades with a vertical lettering on the packaging (see the screenshot below). The packages with horizontal lettering are still good to go right out of the box.

But not everyone hates the new vertical Derby blades. Some people still get a good shave out of them. If you’re not satisfied with your vertical Derby, however, there’s something you can do — cork them! Just run the edge of the blade across the cork from a wine bottle. You can also run it across styrofoam, polystyrene, packing peanuts, or anything else of a similar texture. Hold the blade between your index finger and thumb and cut the cork by pulling the blade towards you. You should put minimal pressure on the blade so that only the edge goes into the cork. You’ll need to run the blade through the cork 1 to 5 times on each side (depending on your own personal preference).
Corking can work on other blades too. For some people, the legendary Feathers are a little too sharp on their first shave, but are excellent on the second, third, etc. shaves. Cork a Feather and it can give you an exceptionally smooth shave the first time around.

Personally, I'm totally into the red Personnas. However I never reuse blades so they might not be as durable as others.
Overall I think the the quality of a shave depends more on the pre-shave skin treatment & lather quality more than the sharpness of the blades.
D72Q3.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I said fuck it and went off to buy a Merkur Futur at a store nearby (it looks so nice and feels like its made to last) and ordered everything else from Amazon. If I dont report back in 48h I have successfully cut my throat.

The reason for me to pull the trigger is that I hate, I HATE, dull blades. I just felt like being fucked in the arse for paying 17&#8364; for 4 blades all the time. And I already really enjoy shaving, so I hope its going to be even more fun now.

I need your help shaving GAF, every time I shave with an upwards motion, to completely remove the stubble, I have a bad skin reaction, any help would be appreciated

I need your help shaving GAF, every time I shave with an upwards motion, to completely remove the stubble, I have a bad skin reaction, any help would be appreciated

Unless you have pretty good skin, you should never shave against the grain of the beard. Stick to shaving downwards, with a second pass going across the hair. Stop shaving upwards.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pulled the trigger to join the experience. Ordered a chrome Mercur Futur along with a stand and a badger brush of the same make, a bowl and some Feather blades.

Also stopped by Truefitt and Hill in Green Park and picked up their sample bags for 7 different shaving creams, aftershaves and colognes.

Should be fun this weekend.

Sye d'Burns

It is possible that when you're going against the grain, your angle might not be staying consistent causing the razor to scrape your skin instead of shaving. It's worth mentioning at least.

Discounting that possibility, I agree with Salvor. If your skin just can't take against the grain, go cross-grain for 1, maybe 2, passes instead.

Good luck, Chittagong. Enjoy your new gear.

Right now I feel this way about this thread, "Blah, blah, blah, and what are black guys supposed to do?"

Is this just as effective for extra curly hair? I fear permanent bumps,so I put off shaving way too much.

Sye d'Burns

What should I use to remove soap scum (soap residue?) from my safety razor? It could use a good cleaning.

I've always used scrubbing bubbles (without BLEACH) followed by a barbicide bath for my cleanings.

I don't think they still make scrubbing bubbles with bleach but I do not know what is in your cabinet.

Giard

Right now I feel this way about this thread, "Blah, blah, blah, and what are black guys supposed to do?"

Is this just as effective for extra curly hair? I fear permanent bumps,so I put off shaving way too much.
It should help you, I believe some black guys have already posted here confirming that. If you don't want to make the leap just yet, maybe you could try an aftershave product like TendSkin that helps reduce razor bumps.

Esch

Banned

One of my black buddies who switched said lathering and brush really helped him up with bumps, but I guess it all depends. I have tough, sharp facial hair(indian) and it does wonders for me.

Wet shaving definitely makes a huge difference (for me, anyways), but you'll probably need TendSkin. The only problem is that TendSkin may dry your skin. Think someone posted what to use if it does in the Black Culture thread awhile back.

Also, don't buy TendSkin. It's been reported to be severely diluted now. Look in the old shaving thread (link in op) for a custom recipe John posted. It's just alcohol, aspirins, and witch hazel, so it's dirt cheap to make.

Giard

Wet shaving definitely makes a huge difference (for me, anyways), but you'll probably need TendSkin. The only problem is that TendSkin may dry your skin. Think someone posted what to use if it does in the Black Culture thread awhile back.

Also, don't buy TendSkin. It's been reported to be severely diluted now. Look in the old shaving thread (link in op) for a custom recipe John posted. It's just alcohol, aspirins, and witch hazel, so it's dirt cheap to make.
I think I'll add a link in the OP for the custom recipe...

Wow, thanks for the insight! Barbers have always told me to just use an electric razor, but regular shaving has always gotten me the least irritated (cursed with super coarse and thick facial hair, plus super sensitive skin!). Who is John though?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So I just had my first safety razors shave. Everything went better then expected.
What I did, and would recommend any newcomers (like myself), is to "dry"-shave for a couple of minutes with no blade, just to get the hang of it and keep an eye on the right angle of the razor etc. It is a different handling because the razor (Merkur Futur) weights a lot more then the usual cartridge-razor.

The first two passes went super great, and really, after the first pass, it feels not to different then usual shaving. What was difficult for me (and resulted in some bleeding) was going against the grain under the nose (upper lip area). But that is a spot I actually never shaved against the grain to begin with, so my hand movement was all clumsy.

I wont lie, it was a good shave, but i can already feel that there is much room for improvement. I cant wait for my hair to grow back :D

Next thing to do is to get the brush not smell that harsh, or is that going away all by itself?

Tess3ract

Banned

It is very effective on curly hairs, but, get a sampler pack first and try a few different blades, because each blade style is different.
Is it safe to shave my balls with one of these?
You'd be safer waxing them.

I dont put very sharp metal objects anywhere near my junk.

Giard

Next thing to do is to get the brush not smell that harsh, or is that going away all by itself?
The more you use it, the less it will smell. However, there's a way to make the smell go away faster. Check out this post from ambrose on Badger & Blade.

Basically...

ambrose said:
1. Wash it with dawn soap
2. Soak it in dawn soapy water for a few hrs
3. Build a lather and leave it to sit and dry over night - this is were most of the magic happens

Giard

Why didn't you people tell me that most of the links in the OP were broken? :p
Somehow I used the wrong type of quotation marks in the links. They should work correctly now.

Sye d'Burns

Why didn't you people tell me that most of the links in the OP were broken? :p
Somehow I used the wrong type of quotation marks in the links. They should work correctly now.

I hadn't actually clicked them.

I wouldn't have said a word and instead I would have just quietly made the changes.

:lol

kaskade

Wet shaved twice now. MAN, have I been missing out. It's like a ritual, almost relaxing. I haven't cut myself yet which I'm pretty proud of. Also the shave itself is so much better. I feel like cartridge razors never get as close.

bob page

Derby's irritated the shit out of my skin and made it red for several hours, even post aftershave & moisturizer.

Also, the reason TendSkin worked was because of the aspirin. Aspirin contains salycic acid, which is found in many skin care products (or can even make an aspirin mask with). Try adding aspirin to any basic aftershave. For me, I found that adding niacinamide into my witch hazel formula works better.

Giard

Wet shaved twice now. MAN, have I been missing out. It's like a ritual, almost relaxing. I haven't cut myself yet which I'm pretty proud of. Also the shave itself is so much better. I feel like cartridge razors never get as close.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Derby's irritated the shit out of my skin and made it red for several hours, even post aftershave & moisturizer.

Also, the reason TendSkin worked was because of the aspirin. Aspirin contains salycic acid, which is found in many skin care products (or can even make an aspirin mask with). Try adding aspirin to any basic aftershave. For me, I found that adding niacinamide into my witch hazel formula works better.
I can't find any witch hazel where I live...I wanted to order Ogallala aftershaves because the ingredients seemed way more natural than most aftershaves. The Sage & Cedar one for example:

Ingredients: Witch Hazel, Purified Water, Alcohol, Oils of Bay, Sage and Cedar

So would adding aspirin make it even more soothing?

Unrelated question: What does bay rum smell like? There's no store where I live that sells aftershaves other than Aqua Velva, Brut and Old Spice, so I can't smell any of them.

ShaneB

I feel this way too, it's why I sometimes prefer shaving at night before bed (also im lazy and not really a morning person, so getting up and shaving at 6:45am isn't that fun). It is just as you said, it's almost a way of relaxing.

That being said however, think I need to move away from Feather blades, shaving everyday with them is tearing up my face, so I need something a little less aggressive, so I'll be getting a sampler pack soon.

Detox

Interesting point I've been getting minor cuts with feathers but I put it down to inexperience. What would be the next blade down from feathers?

ShaneB

Interesting point I've been getting minor cuts with feathers but I put it down to inexperience. What would be the next blade down from feathers?

I think the general answer is just to get a sampler pack and try out for yourself. In my thread I made, and now this thread, it seems like everyone's preference is different, it's why getting a sampler pack seems like the most logical step.

Top Bottom