• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN leaks Overwatch releasing May 24th, pre-order for open beta early access

DJIzana

Overwatch looks amazing. It sucks I haven't received a beta invite yet but if there's one game that'll bring me back to the universes Blizzard creates, this will be the one (unless they ever make a WoW 2 / Warcraft 4 or another new IP).

Also, I don't play many shooter games. UT has been stuck in beta for god knows how long and just... yeah. The aesthetics and uniqueness of Overwatch is totally for me.

Forkball

Have any long time beta players noticed major changes? I got into the beta for a weekend during... November I think? I really enjoyed the game, but so many maps were poorly designed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How is this game on consoles? I am few hundred hours into Halo 5 and love the competitive aspect. Will this game have the depth, balance and competitiveness to have legs?

Cutwolf

Have any long time beta players noticed major changes? I got into the beta for a weekend during... November I think? I really enjoyed the game, but so many maps were poorly designed.

What do you mean "major changes"? There are 2 new maps, a new game mode, tons of balance adjustments. The maps are mostly the same. The pre-game interface has changed. There's also now a solid progression system.

I disagree that most maps are poorly designed, but I do agree they could be altered a bit. So many have hallways or paths that seem like they're leading you to a flank point, only to run into a wall that could/should easily be punched out.

YES FUCKING YES I need more to play with/against. Recognizing names in the beta is no fun when the matches are so lopsided.

_Legacy_

From those who have played, what's the verdict on Overwatch? I'm really interested and the hype/fanfare for Battleborn hasn't been as good from what I've seen.

Have they put out recommended PC specs for this? I want to know if my laptop can handle this.

Sucks to be Gearbox though. It's gonna be sad when more people are playing the Open Beta for this than the full release of Battleborn.

My office rig which is a i5 4590, 8GB RAM and GTX960 runs it at max settings getting 1080p locked 60fps.

Anyone else think the release date is a bit too early?

The game at its right out of gate beta stage was already pretty bug-free (big ones anyway) and well optimized. The current beta is pretty much feature complete with even better optimization sans some UI and balance tuning, and of course more content in maps and modes.

Zyae

From those who have played, what's the verdict on Overwatch? I'm really interested and the hype/fanfare for Battleborn hasn't been as good from what I've seen.

I was only able to play it for one weekend but it was fantastic. Better than I expected. Really hyped for it

Well, I'm enjoying the closed beta, but it needs more game modes between now and release.

I agree with this. If you play it for 20 minutes, you've experienced most of the gameplay.

I'm sure release and post-launch support will be a more fleshed-out experience.

It's polished as hell, and super simple. It's a great fast-paced arcade-style team shooter. The weapons are all totally unique and the character design is excellent.

I agree with this. If you play it for 20 minutes, you've experienced most of the gameplay.

Not even getting a hang of ONE hero is now considered "experienced most of the gameplay"? Yes it is super easy to get hands on but there are over a dozen heroes, with tons of synergy and counter-play, the latter especially important because you can change heroes with every spawn.

Luq

They already revealed new char for Heroes of the Storm exclusivly on IGN... So i wouldn't be surprised if that's their way to spread the info here.

_Legacy_

It's polished as hell, and super simple. It's a great fast-paced arcade-style team shooter. The weapons are all totally unique and the character design is excellent.

Sounds good.

I was only able to play it for one weekend but it was fantastic. Better than I expected. Really hyped for it

Really looking forward to this game, hope it pans out well. I got super bored with Gigantic, there just wasn't enough meat and bones there and the interface wasn't great.

noomi

This is good, very good.

Curious on when early access beta will take place though.

*edit*

May 3rd, I need to learn to read better.

Think I might wait a bit to buy, since I wanted t try at least a few days of beta before I commit. Blizzard, be smart and give early beta to people who own most of your games on bnet.

Not even getting a hang of ONE hero is now considered "experienced most of the gameplay"? Yes it is super easy to get hands on but there are over a dozen heroes, with tons of synergy and counter-play, the latter especially important because you can change heroes with every spawn.
No, I agree with you on the heroes. I was specifically talking about the modes and maps, which aren't very diverse. It's clear the focus is on the heroes.

Can we just rename Betas "Marketing Demos"? Because that is essentially what they are. You have to buy in to the product before you can even try it, even when it is perfectly possible for developers to put a portion of their game out there without any loss.

Why can't it just be the smart way to test the servers before going live?

Luigi87

Really happy it's before June.
... Except the weekend after release I'll be away at a convention so I won't be able to play it, lol
Well I guess weekdays...

Overwatch is extremely polished and plays wonderfully even now. Have played around 400+ games so far. Battleborn is seriously going to be DOA.

Fularu

Banned
Considering Legion is STILL in alpha and betas typically last at least 6 months when it comes to expansions, I'd have figured this was a known thing sadly. :(
WoW betas have lasted about 4 months on average

Also I don't think Legion Will have a long beta cycle, raid testing has started which usually happened during the last two months of beta previously

Someone's getting fired.

ZjLFhbO.gif

I cannot stop laughing. My colleagues prolly think I'm crazy.

Kosma

Banned
What do you mean "major changes"? There are 2 new maps, a new game mode, tons of balance adjustments. The maps are mostly the same. The pre-game interface has changed. There's also now a solid progression system.

I disagree that most maps are poorly designed, but I do agree they could be altered a bit. So many have hallways or paths that seem like they're leading you to a flank point, only to run into a wall that could/should easily be punched out.

Whats the progression sysyem like?

Whats the progression sysyem like?

A level up system where every level up gives you crates with goodies in them such as skins, voice lines, credits and such. The amount it takes raises each level until like 20 or something and you infinitely level up. If you get duplicates of an item, you get credits that can go towards buying something that you want in specific.

Kosma

Banned
A level up system where every level up gives you crates with goodies in them such as skins, voice lines, credits and such. The amount it takes raises each level until like 20 or something and you infinitely level up. If you get duplicates of an item, you get credits that can go towards buying something that you want in specific.

Thats per character? Sounds cool.

Is there any story stuff?

Is this game expected to be populated on consoles? I am hoping to pick this up on PS4 as a chilld game but I know PC is where most of Blizzard's fans are at.

Top Bottom