• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

ffvorax

So there are some discounts on VR games right now...

Surgeon Simulator

Thumper

REZ

Time Machine VR

HeadMaster

Job Simulator

What should I get?

REZ I know it's a nice game but I already played it in the past, so I would like to wait for a major price drop.

Surgeon I played on PC but I'm thinking if it can make a difference to play it in VR. Worth it?

Job simulator appear to be a fun time wasting.

Headmaster, everyone talk good about it.

Thumper, well the demo was wow.

Time Machine VR -> wow effect to see marine monsters? I don't know if it's terrible or good enough.

What if I can choose 1 or 2? What do you suggest?

*Splinter

Surgeon Simulator

Thumper

REZ

Time Machine VR

HeadMaster

Job Simulator

What should I get?

REZ I know it's a nice game but I already played it in the past, so I would like to wait for a major price drop.

Surgeon I played on PC but I'm thinking if it can make a difference to play it in VR. Worth it?

Time Machine VR -> wow effect to see marine monsters? I don't know if it's terrible or good enough.

Thumper

And Thumper

Kyolux

Surgeon Simulator

Thumper

REZ

Time Machine VR

HeadMaster

Job Simulator

What should I get?

Job simulator, rez (which I still need to get) or thumper (that demo was solid, have to buy too someday)

MattAces

Surgeon Simulator

Thumper

REZ

Time Machine VR

HeadMaster

Job Simulator

What should I get?

Surgeon is an alright port, I think it's a different game with the Vive?
Thumper is really good if you enjoy rhythm games.
HeadMaster is pretty good but too challenging and can be frustrating sometimes.
Job Simulator is one of the best Move game, but don't expect any challenges because it's a straight up hand holding for the entire game, still fun.

Here's a direct quote from the developer if it helps. I'm still skeptical though, I have $50 loaded in my PSN waiting for more impression.
"Starblood has single player content but not a "Campaign". Single player consist of Skirmishes (private matches vs. AI bots), Invaders (horde mode. Can also be played co-op with up to 4 players) and Burn Circuit - a Tournament where players play matches vs. AI bots and must finish 1st to advance. Matches get progressively more difficult and if you manage to win the whole tournament, you get cool stuff and unlock Ultimate Burn Circuit. Ultimate Burn Circuit is ridiculously tough, but winning that tournament unlocks even cooler stuff. Hope this helps :)"
OK thanks this is more promising.

Kalentan

Mortal Blitz needs the new content soon and such. Cause despite it's length it's easily one of the best shooters on PSVR right now. Yeah, you can sit and play but the thrill of actually crouching to dodge feels amazing. Being also able to lift objects and use them as shields is also an amazing feature.

samred

Starblood Arena is super awesome as a multiplayer shooter...... but in my hour of attempting to find an opponent, nobody came up. Lobbies are split into the game's four modes, so the already-tiny playerbase is splintered a further four ways with no sense of how many people are waiting in each lobby before clicking through. Seems like 1-2 "get me into a match quickly" lobbies that cycle through certain modes would be way more effective in the short term.

But hot damn, did they nail 360-degree combat with head-tracked steering/aiming. I'd love to have real opponents to play against, is all. I am absolutely interested in scheduling a session over the next two days, if anybody is interested. I could do anytime before 6pm PT on Weds Apr 12 or after 9pm PT, same night.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://uploadvr.com/project-cars-2-dev-hard-work-psvr-support/

Looks like they are having issue making Project Cars 2 to be compatible for PSVR, due to PS4 being too weak

Tudor stated that the team is ”hard at work" on console VR support, but couldn't confirm it would definitely be included. He reasoned that the studio needed to find a balance where the sacrifices made in performance and visuals to support PSVR weren't affecting the gameplay at all.

”So therefore there's a fine balance between what is visually acceptable and what is actually detrimental to gameplay, so we need to investigate it a little more, to make sure there's no compromise on either end – either in visuals or gameplay," Tudor said. ”I'm sure there will have to be some sort of compromise, but the team are investigating where that line is drawn in the sand; where that balance is, and that'll give a determination of where we proceed with PSVR, basically."

Also Symphony of the Machine got delayed
https://twitter.com/stirfirestudios

greekappi

Ok so after seeing this thread I decided I should get back into the PSVR. I bought it kind of on a whim and just really wanted something new and cool. I played it for a bit but never thought of it more than a novelty.

I have the demos and Driveclub VR and also Eagle Flight but nothing ever quite took hold. What games do I need to really let me know this thing is for real? I have Robinson coming in on GameFly soon and I hear that's great. I want something more than just a "hey come check out this VR thing I have" and actually a game I want to play.

And no I won't do RE:7 because it's fucking terrifying. I beat it without VR and that was scary enough. I tired a little with VR and I had a fucking panic attack.

bumpkin

Ok so after seeing this thread I decided I should get back into the PSVR. I bought it kind of on a whim and just really wanted something new and cool. I played it for a bit but never thought of it more than a novelty.

I have the demos and Driveclub VR and also Eagle Flight but nothing ever quite took hold. What games do I need to really let me know this thing is for real? I have Robinson coming in on GameFly soon and I hear that's great. I want something more than just a "hey come check out this VR thing I have" and actually a game I want to play.

And no I won't do RE:7 because it's fucking terrifying. I beat it without VR and that was scary enough. I tired a little with VR and I had a fucking panic attack.
Have you bought/downloaded any games for it yet? That might make it easier for people to put out recommendations.

Some of my favorite PSVR experiences/games in no particular order have been RE7, Batman: Arkham VR, Wayward Sky, PSVR Worlds (The London Heist and Scavenger's Odyssey), Eagle Flight, Dirt Rally, Robinson: The Journey, and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

Any Starblood impressions? o_o

I played for an hour and a half last night. It looks and feels really good, however the arenas are a little smaller and more cramped then I would like them to be. I only played SP. In addition to the 'career' (which is really just a series of pre-made bot matches that get increasingly tougher) there is an exhibition mode where you can choose what map and what mode you want as well as some other options. I wish Rigs had had that.

One annoying thing is you use your winnings to buy blind packs of cosmetic items, but when they unlock they don't tell you what the heck they are or even what character or ship they're for.

Protip: under audio you can replace the rock music that plays during matches with more appropriate instrumental music

https://uploadvr.com/project-cars-2-dev-hard-work-psvr-support/

Looks like they are having issue making Project Cars 2 to be compatible for PSVR, due to PS4 being too weak

If they get PC2 to work on PSVR I will be surprised. Performance of PC is rough on the PS4 and one of the few games I have stopped playing due to it. PC2 looks to be much improved visually and going from the press improved in mechanics as well. Though If they do get VR working on PS4 I will buy it day one.

Adree

If Robinson doesn't immediately hit you with a nigh overwhelming feeling of being in a different place VR might not be for you. That's probably the most intense non-horror experience you can have.

valeu

I just wanted to pause Starblood Arena and give some quick impressions. After RE7, Starblood Arena is my new favorite PSVR game. Looks really nice (I can imagine much better on Pro). Game and characters have a ton of "Overwatch-type" charm. And then the gameplay is sublime....you have an insane amount of control over your movement: strafe in 4 directions (left, right, front, back), up, down, pivot up and down, and roll....and at the same time you have 5 weapons. Two primary, a heavy, missiles, and mines. With loot, mods, customization. I'm just playing single player to get good and it's excellent. Ok, back to the game...

EDIT: I came back to say that I didn't like the Eve:Valkyrie or the RIGS demos, but this is super clicking for me. It's hyper-frenetic but at the same time there is skill to learn
EDIT 2: I tried joining a multiplayer match....and couldn't join / find one. If anyone has started GAF private matches please pm me and we can add on psn

Planet

Sony really should have redefined their Plus strategy and make Starblood Arena its first official PSVR instant game collection game. Imagine this launching with that kind of audience!

How many headset owners have Plus? Half of them is probably a safe bet, that makes it roughly 500.000 people. If even 10% of these would be interested, you'd have a rather healthy player base for a start.

It would have been good for PSVR, good for Plus and I can't see the developers being happy with the current results either.

The Battlefront 2 leak reminded me that I had recorded the X-Wing VR mission from the previous title.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DxGNjbFXvU

Really hoping for way more VR missions / implementation in the new game.

I was afraid that this would happen
Pretty weak excuse considering all the other titles that are able to do so while looking pretty good. I think they just need to level up their development capabilities. We've already seen how mixed the performance of just the original PCars is/was even on high end PCs due to their engine having a lot of strange issues.

Ah well, guess I'll stick to GT Sport for VR simulation.

ArtHands

The Battlefront 2 leak reminded me that I had recorded the X-Wing VR mission from the previous title.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DxGNjbFXvU

Really hoping for way more VR missions / implementation in the new game.

Pretty weak excuse considering all the other titles that are able to do so while looking pretty good. I think they just need to level up their development capabilities. We've already seen how mixed the performance of just the original PCars is/was even on high end PCs due to their engine having a lot of strange issues.

Ah well, guess I'll stick to GT Sport for VR simulation.

visual isn't the only thing that can affect the performance

ArtHands

I got the greenlight to announce here that a new game is coming to Playstation VR platform.

The title is "Virtually Impossible", a casual party indie title that feature multiplayer challenges. on the HTC Vive (releasing today there), it will have local multiplayer feature of up to 4 players (hot seat) and online for up to 4 headsets, so I believe this will be the case for the PSVR version too. No date for the PSVR version yet

Here's a trailer and Steam page (it doesn't say PSVR on the trailer but I am told of this via email)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5E03BnSwU
http://store.steampowered.com/app/621780/

Adree

New app on the japanese PSN store: 360Channel. Lots of japanese 360 videos including some wrestling ones from Zero1.

Adree

I got the greenlight to announce here that a new game is coming to Playstation VR platform.

The title is "Virtually Impossible", a casual party indie title that feature multiplayer challenges. on the HTC Vive (releasing today there), it will have local multiplayer feature of up to 4 players (hot seat) and online for up to 4 headsets, so I believe this will be the case for the PSVR version too. No date for the PSVR version yet

Here's a trailer and Steam page (it doesn't say PSVR on the trailer but I am told of this via email)

The sneaking answers from a test minigame looks hilarious.

This looks fucking awesome

MattAces

Since you are either the developer or very close to the developer, one simple question to sell your game : Is it move compatible or will it be a DS4 rip off situation

ffvorax

This looks so fun! :O
It remember me Wario Ware and Frobisher's Says... and I loved that games!

I would instabuy it if it comes out for PSVR, really, not saying just as sometimes happen... I loved these kind of games... :O

Hope they will really release it in the future for PSVR!

Would pay 29€ at max though.

ArtHands

Since you are either the developer or very close to the developer, one simple question to sell your game : Is it move compatible or will it be a DS4 rip off situation

I am not the developer

from what I tried, the challenges in this game are entirely motion-based. Unless they changed the challenges for the PSVR version (which I doubt as it will take too much work), based on what I tried I think its safe to assume this game is PS move only, no DS4

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Starblood was shit. Matchmaking isn't working so you're lumped with the barebones single player league crap. The humor is fucking shit too, gameplay isn't anywhere near as good as something like RIGS.

Whole thing feels like shovelware promoted to AA just to support VR. VR needs a lot less of that and the community needs to stop shilling for stuff just because it's plugging a drought. I see people trying to promote that Mervils platformer game for instance and it looks like a High School student project.

Sony better have a pretty elaborate set of stuff far better than Starblood to unveil at E3 because this is really not cutting it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Starblood was shit. Matchmaking isn't working so you're lumped with the barebones single player league crap. The humor is fucking shit too, gameplay isn't anywhere near as good as something like RIGS.

Whole thing feels like shovelware promoted to AA just to support VR. VR needs a lot less of that and the community needs to stop shilling for stuff just because it's plugging a drought. I see people trying to promote that Mervils platformer game for instance and it looks like a High School student project.

Sony better have a pretty elaborate set of stuff far better than Starblood to unveil at E3 because this is really not cutting it.

LOL!!! Wow man you went in! I too think it looks like high school project. Which is fine to me, but I need Sony to make a full game of their platformer that they put out.

Eve Valkyrie (grabbed it from the sale) is fucking amazing.

Steep learning curve but man what a polished and stunning looking title.

No idea it had online co-op against bots.

Lots of updates made this pretty juicy.

<3

I will wait until E3 to see if more proper VR games are announced. Otherwise I am trading in my psvr. I am getting concerned about the lack of real games in the horizon.

iratA

I agree, Sony needs to put at least ONE of their First Party Studios on to a big VR project. RIGS is a great start but not nearly enough to show the full potential of VR.

Its an amazing but expensive piece of kit, but no-one will buy PSVR2 or whatever their next iteration is called if Sony themselves aren't prepared to throw some serious weight behind it. At this point I'd even take an older Sony title, like an earlier Killzone, Motorstorm etc and have it ported and tooled up properly for VR. Support the goddamn device Sony PLEASE!

Loved R.E.7 in VR and this is coming from someone who dislikes horror games and movies. Its just that much of a transportive experience, you can't help but be utterly impressed. As someone who buys any and all Sony First Party products I get excited at the prospect of a big VR game from them. Why not have one of their existing projects have a VR version in the pipeline concurrently, similar to R.E.7?

This E3 Sony. DO IT.

*Splinter

I'm not going to dismiss indies and bang on about """real games""" but I have to admit I'm disappointed in the amount of support Sony seems to be giving PSVR since launch. Scaling back the VR compatibility of games like Ace Combat and Gran Turismo, as well as skipping Wipeout entirely, makes me question their commitment to this device.

I don't regret my purchase, Rigs and RE7 alone were probably worth it, but I'll be much more wary about investing in future peripherals (Aim controller) or iterations (PSVR2).

I sometimes wonder, wouldn't it be sort of relatively easy for Devs to institute SBS modes in their games?

Some graphical sacrifices, maybe, but not requiring fundamentally different design pathways.

It would be a huge win as far as I'm concerned, even though it wouldn't represent 'true' leverage of the device's capabilities. Better than fuck all, certainly.

I'm not going to dismiss indies and bang on about """real games""" but I have to admit I'm disappointed in the amount of support Sony seems to be giving PSVR since launch. Scaling back the VR compatibility of games like Ace Combat and Gran Turismo, as well as skipping Wipeout entirely, makes me question their commitment to this device.

I don't regret my purchase, Rigs and RE7 alone were probably worth it, but I'll be much more wary about investing in future peripherals (Aim controller) or iterations (PSVR2).

Well we don't actually know what Sony has planned anything else is just guess work. Like always they are notoriously bad at communicating with their consumer what is in the pipeline it could be good like the PS4 or not so good like the Vita. Outside of the big conferences Sony doesn't announce anything and non of those have taken place yet. But they need to show something soon. I just really want to know what the From Software game is.

As a fan of single player in racing games the VR addition looks to be the only place you are going to get that in GT Sport outside of arcade mode so might be a blessing in disguise, though we don't actually know what the VR tour consists of however I would prefer the entire game playable like Dirt Rally. The excuse people cant play games for long in the headset is bull shit and getting on my tits, I accidentally played an entire elite rally championship in Dirt Rally VR in one sitting and the only discomfort I got was really needing a piss when I finished. I don't think Ace Combat was scaled back though as it sounds to be the same game but without the OTT cutscenes and was never announced as a standalone VR title which it would need to be to incorporate those kind of cutscenes found in the series.

Kyolux

Don't think e3 will be it for vr games announcements. Maybe a quick mention, but they're hesitant to show vr games on stage since it didn't go well in the past.

Also, they're probably waiting on the stock situation to fix itself before going bigger on announcement.

I want bigger games too. And we may very well be left to dry. But it's a bit early to cry foul when there's still a few big vr games coming from Sony in the future. I don't think we'll see a lot of RE7 level of support though. Too small of a market sadly.

Planet

Back again at "PSVR is dead already"? *yawn*

E3 is a good place to announce games. Maybe wait until it happened?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Back again at "PSVR is dead already"? *yawn*

E3 is a good place to announce games. Maybe wait until it happened?

I don't think PSVR is dead already, I think its a fantastic bit of kit. The problem is beyond Farpoint's release, I have no idea what roadmap exists for PSVR. Ace Combat and GT have "modes", but full games is what people that bought this thing want. Trying to pretend crap like Starblood Arena is a tentpole release is alarming. It speaks to me they don't have much to promote for a fair while and are having to big up trash instead.

Closing down Sony Cambridge (Guerilla Cambridge) remains this exceptionally confusing decision. You have a technically exceptional team that nailed their first VR game and before the install base could even climb to anything, you send em packing. It's that line where Shu is beginning to forget what First Party has to do to maintain their various hardware branches as viable from the start.

Vita dropped off a cliff in terms of Sony support past a certain point, but damn if it didn't get a ton of great content up to then. An Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Freedom Wars, Unit 13, Escape Plan etc. PSVR isn't going to even get near that level of support so it gets even more headscratchy when you're not even sure who is left that would be making such first/second party stuff. Indeed internally you've made sure any studio that is dumb enough to make a PSVR only game may well be signing its own death warrant.

As I said, I hope Sony are bringing some big PSVR guns to E3 to fill out why this thing should be owned, but the issue is I'm not sure who they have who could be making stuff due to the studio culling over the years.

Top Bottom