• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online Now Available on Steam

Played it for 4 hours last night. By play I meant 3 hours on the character creator and thinking of a name, and 1 hour killing imps. I still feel I rushed the CC lol.

Gin-Shiio

I would play this more except I have no body to play it with

NeoGAF's US guild welcomes everyone. If you just want some people to talk to and do things with, feel free to join our ranks. Just whisper me in the game (family name: Biestmann), and I'll throw an invite your way. That goes for everyone in this thread!

Gin-Shiio

Kuno it is then.

giphy.gif

Mithos

NeoGAF's guild welcomes everyone. If you just want some people to talk to and do things with, feel free to join our ranks. Just whisper me in the game (family name: Biestmann), and I'll throw an invite your way. That goes for everyone in this thread!

I assume this guild is on the US side of the servers (just so people knows)?

Ventara

So I've decided to pick up the game, but how bad is the PvP in the game? Like, I plan to play solo, and I don't want someone to approach me Zodiac killer-style while I'm picking mushrooms and kill me and my horse.

Radio

So I've decided to pick up the game, but how bad is the PvP in the game? Like, I plan to play solo, and I don't want someone to approach me Zodiac killer-style while I'm picking mushrooms and kill me and my horse.

It's unlikely to happen unless you're in a popular farming spot, and even then, people will usually warn you first if you're encroaching on their area.

There's no incentive to PvP outside of guild stuff, and the combat is so gear/level dependent that few people feel the need to kill random players to stretch their egos. I was PKed maybe 5 times in my several thousand hours in-game and every time it was while I was AFK. It's not like ArcheAge or other MMOs where there are different factions and you can steal tradepacks and then have a funny trial and escape from jail. In Black Desert, you just get negative karma and then everyone kills you.

anothertech

Quoting anothertech's excellent write-up in my LTTP thread:
Haha thx for the hit up. Hope it helped someone.

Spent 5 hours on my Striker so far. Really enjoying the class. The hand to hand animations are soooo smooth. Helps he can tank like a Warrior. Awakening can't some soon enough lol.

Just so everyone knows, there is an ungodly amount of quests in this game. I once tried to do all the quests in every area with a character, after a month I gave up because I was still in the first city.

For everyone asking if the 30E version is worth it, I would say get the 5E version and spend the extra 25E on anything you might find you want in game. Theres a 20% coupon they are giving to everyone right now so you can get alot with that extra 25.

Edit: also re: PVP - there is none until you hit level 50. And even then, if a higher level comes to gank you, they get negative karma that is a pain in the @ss to get rid of. So ganking doesn't happen alot until you get to higher levels, around 56 or so. And most of the time the other players will invite you to duel instead so they don't get the negative karma. But the game warns you, if you don't want to PvP, you just stay at 50 and keep playing that way. You have to actually complete a specific quest to get to 50 and unlock PvP mode.

Ventara

It's unlikely to happen unless you're in a popular farming spot, and even then, people will usually warn you first if you're encroaching on their area.

There's no incentive to PvP outside of guild stuff, and the combat is so gear/level dependent that few people feel the need to kill random players to stretch their egos. I was PKed maybe 5 times in my several thousand hours in-game and every time it was while I was AFK. It's not like ArcheAge or other MMOs where there are different factions and you can steal tradepacks and then have a funny trial and escape from jail. In Black Desert, you just get negative karma and then everyone kills you.

Hmm, alright. I guess that's not that bad. I just don't want to lose anything important because some other player decided to go on a killing spree. That kind of thing can make me take a break from an MMO that I would otherwise enjoy.

Edit: also re: PVP - there is none until you hit level 50. And even then, if a higher level comes to gank you, they get negative karma that is a pain in the @ss to get rid of. So ganking doesn't happen alot until you get to higher levels, around 56 or so. And most of the time the other players will invite you to duel instead so they don't get the negative karma. But the game warns you, if you don't want to PvP, you just stay at 50 and keep playing that way. You have to actually complete a specific quest to get to 50 and unlock PvP mode.

This sounds EXCELLENT. Just staying below 50 and not having to worry about PvP is very reassuring. Well, not sure how viable it is to stay under 50 since I haven't played the game, but it's nice it's there for beginners like me even if I decide to cross the threshold later on. PKs getting hard to remove negative karma is a bonus, too.

Radio

Hmm, alright. I guess that's not that bad. I just don't want to lose anything important because some other player decided to go on a killing spree. That kind of thing can make me take a break from an MMO that I would otherwise enjoy.

You don't lose anything if killed by another player. Your gems have a small chance of breaking, but most of those are cheap so replacing them isn't a problem.

Landford

Banned
Really interested in playing this, but the ip block is a bummer. Went to buy the game and was greeted by a error page :/

Mephala

This sounds EXCELLENT. Just staying below 50 and not having to worry about PvP is very reassuring. Well, not sure how viable it is to stay under 50 since I haven't played the game, but it's nice it's there for beginners like me even if I decide to cross the threshold later on. PKs getting hard to remove negative karma is a bonus, too.

Staying under 50 is fine for a long while but as you head into Media you will probably want to get higher as the difficulty spiked a bit and even more so in Valencia. Haven't been across the sea but I guess the same for that.

On death, you lose some Xp and you may lose some equipment gems or trade items but these arent too bad. Xp can be prevented with elions tears.

I personally found Pk to be rare outside of hotly contested grind spots. It was a little more common on olvia server a few months ago when I started. probably returning players swinging their ego around bullying newbies. :/

FissFiss

Neo Member
Can't decide if I want to play this......

Just recently resubbed to FFXIV (never got past 38 but the jump potions are coming out so I'll wait for that).

Just also bought Morrowind for ESO but havent played much lol

cyress8

Banned
Holy fuck, I'm still pissed auto loot is locked behind pets. However, the striker class is pretty damn good. Love classes with some speed. Run through mobs faster than if I was on a horse.

I'm happy I got my 100 bucks back at launch and bought it for 5. I'll stick around and just grind out a few things.

Amneisac

Can't decide if I want to play this......

Just recently resubbed to FFXIV (never got past 38 but the jump potions are coming out so I'll wait for that).

Just also bought Morrowind for ESO but havent played much lol

Sounds like you've got your hands full. I'd just play what you're paying a sub for and get to this later.

Freeman76

Damn this game is good :)

Kind of wish I bought the explorers back now but hey ho.

I was waiting for the Ps4 version but thays probably 10 years away lol

mstevens

I've tried about 60 family names and they're all taken. One of the downsides of dropping in a game late. Hate unique names.

qcf x2

Love the game, but had to quit because the UI was tiny and unreadable

For those asking about the UI, you can adjust the size and placement in the menus...

For those asking about controller support, it's built in. It's the way I play(ed) and it's mostly fine, but tbh there are so many unique attacks that I run out of button + directional combinations to execute them in battle.

BDO was a steal at $30 or $20 or whatever it was. At $6 it's just that much more of a no-brainer if you're at all intrigued. The sheer amount of content currently in game is enough to provide several months worth of enjoyment, and they're always adding more for free.

I have an i5 3.3ghz / 1070 / 8gb RAM (lol) and I play it at 4k with almost all settings maxed. Framerate is usually decent unless in a crowded area, and the tradeoff is worth it for me. This game has a tendency to offer jaw dropping visuals, and supposedly they're going to entirely revamp the graphics engine to make it even better.

The only cons I have are 1) The story component sucks & 2) It's a huge time sink, as are all MMO's I suppose. I can plan to hop in for 15 minutes and then next thing I know it's 4 hrs later.

Mephala

What server is the Gaf guild on?

We're in US region but we don't need to be in the same server unless we're doing something together. Recruitment, contract renewal, party, guild quests etc. We are usually split across multiple servers until one of these things start to happen.

I am playing on a 1080 6600k at 3440x1440 and am getting around 50-55 fps with all settings high, motion blur and depth of field disabled. Wondering if this is normal. If I disable high end mode I get a steady 60. But it looks so nice...

Oh, and how do I find my screenshots?

Poop UI and poop quest system but cool combat
Yeah, that was my takeaway from playing it for about a week.

This is true. But you can organize/turn of anything in the UI you don't like.

I have almost nothing on my UI except minimap and health bar.

The problem for me is I don't know what's important and what's not. Also nodes. The general UI, poorly conveyed information and lack of any apparent cohesive structure makes it feel like everything is kinda being held together by wire. I get it's supposed to just toss you in the deep end and immediately let you do anything you want, but it's not user friendly in the slightest. And from what I understand there's no real dungeoning or raiding? Combat is very good in that in controls super well, looks flashy, and you feel good killing things. But PvE content and purpose is a little lacking. It seems like people who are really into BDO are into the economy and establishing trade routes, something I'm not particularly drawn by, especially since it doesn't do a great job of explaining all it's various currencies, energies, meters and systems.

Mephala

Yeah, that was my takeaway from playing it for about a week.

The problem for me is I don't know what's important and what's not. Also nodes. The general UI, poorly conveyed information and lack of any apparent cohesive structure makes it feel like everything is kinda being held together by wire. I get it's supposed to just toss you in the deep end and immediately let you do anything you want, but it's not user friendly in the slightest. And from what I understand there's no real dungeoning or raiding? Combat is very good in that in controls super well, looks flashy, and you feel good killing things. But PvE content and purpose is a little lacking. It seems like people who are really into BDO are into the economy and establishing trade routes, something I'm not particularly drawn by, especially since it doesn't do a great job of explaining all it's various currencies, energies, meters and systems.

The first thing I did when I started months ago was turn off everything I could find until I could actually focus on what I was doing. To say the UI is decent would be pretty generous.

You are definitely right on the PvE side of things being a bit lacking. The lack of raids and dungeons hurt a bit and leave the world bosses an over populated laggy mess. There is also little benefit of doing world bosses as a collective group vs a horde with randoms. Essentially, more people doing damage = faster boss death which means maybe you can run to another server for another boss kill/drop chance.
There are some boss scrolls and guild quests but those are pretty limited.

The best part of PvE for me is the exploration and perhaps setting up nodes or just expanding your knowledge base. Last night Wyndvale wanted to go to Magoria (across the ocean) but he didn't have a boat. As an officer I was able to take the Guild's ship out of the wharf for him to use. I jumped on for a ride since I was bored. It was the first time I went out in the ocean and I haven't explored Magoria before any way. We found a little island, explored, gathered some goodies, found some wreckage and looted that. Evaded some sharks and other baddies. It was an excellent adventure.
We eventually got caught in a storm, boarded by undead pirates and then the shark caught up with us at the same time. We lost the ship and respawned back in town. XD

cripterion

Really wanted to like this but it's just so uninteresting. Was bored to tears during the the beginning, black smoke thing mechanic felt ridiculous. Don't know how to describe it but it just feels messy. Character creator is really nice though, a shame all the cool costumes are locked behind real money.

All in all, It's insane that after so many years passed, none of the current mmo's manage to capture the feeling of DaoC, EQ 2, Asheron's Call 2 and early WoW, had so much fun back then. Even Guild Wars was nice but nothing after that came to touching those experiences for me.

Lowmelody

I just jumped into this game completely blind and holy fuck at the amount of stuff to learn. Seems pretty badass so far, I'm getting into it.

Freeman76

Really wanted to like this but it's just so uninteresting. Was bored to tears during the the beginning, black smoke thing mechanic felt ridiculous. Don't know how to describe it but it just feels messy. Character creator is really nice though, a shame all the cool costumes are locked behind real money.

All in all, It's insane that after so many years passed, none of the current mmo's manage to capture the feeling of DaoC, EQ 2, Asheron's Call 2 and early WoW, had so much fun back then. Even Guild Wars was nice but nothing after that came to touching those experiences for me.

You need to realise you are burned out on this type of game. Nothing is likely to change so maybe stop trying to get into them wishing they would recreate that feeling you used to get.

Top Bottom