• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 got me thinking. What other games are set in modern-day Middle America?

J-Tier

Lol at all the games taking place on the west coast being named. How are CA/OR/WA middle America?
Or Montana at that, since that's still the West. I assume middle America is anything that's not directly on the coast or in the South according to the context of the OP, but what normally comes to mind for me when I think of "Middle America" are the Midwestern states.

I do want more games in this type of setting though. Toss in a few fantasy elements and it cou l d be a really cool game.

Humdinger

Fwiw:

"Middle America is a colloquial term for the United States heartland, especially the culturally rural and suburban areas of the United States.

"Middle America is generally used as both a geographic and cultural label, suggesting a Central United States small town or suburb where most people are middle class; Evangelical Christian, Mainline Protestant or Catholic; and white."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_America_(United_States)

A lot of the examples given in the thread are of places in the pacific northwest (including Far Cry 5) and don't fit the "middle America" label.

In-game? The small town at the top of the map is NorCal and where Trevor lives is meant to be Salton Sea (also California).

Or do you mean North Yankton?

I'm pretty sure North Yankton is supposed to be analogous to the NY/NJ area (aka Liberty City in-universe).

On topic, it's kinda sad how many people here don't really understand what/where middle America is. Not everything rural is located in middle America. Pacific Northwest isn't. Anything south of Tenessee and east of Texas isn't (that's the South). Geographically speaking, the boundaries are Ohio to the East, North/South Dakota/Kansas to the West (though I'd hear arguments for going as far as Colorado), the Canadian border to the north, and Oklahoma to the south (though you have to carve out a section in that corner for the South that includes Arkansas and a few other states).

coughlanio

Fwiw:

"Middle America is a colloquial term for the United States heartland, especially the culturally rural and suburban areas of the United States.

"Middle America is generally used as both a geographic and cultural label, suggesting a Central United States small town or suburb where most people are middle class; Evangelical Christian, Mainline Protestant or Catholic; and white."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_America_(United_States)

A lot of the examples given in the thread are of places in the pacific northwest (including Far Cry 5) and don't fit the "middle America" label.

Your post also says it can be a cultural label.

RedSwirl

It's a problem that not enough games, and maybe not enough media, is about non-urban American. Much of what is set there is written based on a fear of "crazy backwoods people."

It's a problem that not enough games, and maybe not enough media, is about non-urban American. Much of what is set there is written based on a fear of "crazy backwoods people."

Geographically, you can have a game be urban and set in "middle America" if you're talking about the central US. The third largest city in the country is smack in the middle of the Midwest.

JB2448

I think Earthbound, and Mother 3 take place in similar settings but I'm not too sure.
Funnily enough, though those two have settings inspired by rural America, only EarthBound Beginnings on the Famicom explicitly takes place in rural America (as stated in the intro) The last two games in the trilogy are fantasy settings (Eagleland and Nowhere Islands).

HeatBoost

Seeing some of the responses in this thread I think the title maybe should be changed "What games are set in rural/suburban America?"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
-A few fighting games (Street Fighter 1 most famously) use Mt Rushmore as a background
-Dead Rising is set in a mall in Colorado
-A large portion of Tengai Makyou IV takes place in middle America

Top Bottom