• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doesn't Sony Already Have Gakai To Combat XBone Cloud?

Dunk#7

Let's toss another topic on the pile. I, for one, am excited for any and all new technology that is released. I am glad to see all of the topics related to new hardware recently as this is one of the most exciting times on a site like NeoGAF. It only happens every 5-10 years.

Anyway on to my question...

Sony already has plans to utilize Gakai for remote computations that stream back to the local console. I know the implementations are different, but couldn't Sony easily leverage the Gakai technology to combat the cloud that Microsoft is promoting? Instead of performing calculations for past games or demos they should be able to move to expanding the computational aspects of the local console for current games.

I am not saying it would be a smart idea, but the potential is there correct?

*The reason I don't think this concept is a good thing is that you cannot guarantee a flat line user experience with cloud computing. There are too many variables involved. Do people with slower internet connections get a lesser quality product or does it not allow them to play? What happens when the connection slows down temporarily?

I don't buy that whole ''cloud making yo games look better'' thing, but if MS can do it why can't Gaikai which can do much more like streaming a whole game.

kitch9

Banned
People will post saying only Microsoft servers have cloud powers as they are made of special sauce.

At the end of the day expect at best a few gimmicks with forced gameplay scenarios to take advantage of them.

What reason do we have to believe that Microsoft's cloud talk isn't all smoke and mirrors? I doubt Sony is too worried about competing against vapor ware.

macewank

Let's toss another topic on the pile. I, for one, am excited for any and all new technology that is released. I am glad to see all of the topics related to new hardware recently as this is one of the most exciting times on a site like NeoGAF. It only happens every 5-10 years.

Anyway on to my question...

Sony already has plans to utilize Gakai for remote computations that stream back to the local console. I know the implementations are different, but couldn't Sony easily leverage the Gakai technology to combat the cloud that Microsoft is promoting? Instead of performing calculations for past games or demos they should be able to move to expanding the computational aspects of the local console for current games.

I am not saying it would be a smart idea, but the potential is there correct?

*The reason I don't think this concept is a good thing is that you cannot guarantee a flat line user experience with cloud computing. There are too many variables involved. Do people with slower internet connections get a lesser quality product or does it not allow them to play? What happens when the connection slows down temporarily?

the potential is .... sort of there.

i think it's important to note that if computing/gaming/whatever was anywhere near ready for what Microsoft is calling "the infinite power of the cloud" we'd already be doing it on our PC's.. we aren't. that says a lot.

if your bandwidth is low and the experience is based on the power you "get" from the cloud, that would make me feel like a second class citizen.

Either way, it's just another buzz word: "BLAST PROCESSING!"

Relativ9

Yup, there's no reason they couldn't...in fact their servers would have to be vastly superior just to stream a demo. A demo has all the elements of the full games engine, just not all the assets. Doing the calculations for an entire game engine is a lot more taxing than doing just the physics or AI, as MS has talked about.

These two things aren't really related at all. Streaming video is different to remote calculations. But if they have a server farm there's nothing stopping them doing a similar thing.

BadWolf

Sony's Gakai plans lean more towards the realistic side whereas MS's cloud power thing sounds like complete PR bullshit.

Dunk#7

These two things aren't really related at all. Streaming video is different to remote calculations. But if they have a server farm there's nothing stopping them doing a similar thing.

What? Gakai does ALL the remote calculations for a game, and then streams the video back. Gakai is not NetFlix: Let's Play...

They need to show a game or at least a real-time tech demo at E3 that is only possible due to the cloud, otherwise it's total BS.

brigadeer

I'm thinking Microsoft is significantly over-estimating what their "cloud" will be able to do, at least at first. I'm guessing it would take a good couple of years for developers to really utilize that MS has to offer here, which again, I think will be over-estimated as it pertains to being a "game changer", pardon the pun.

The thing is, Xbox One has to be connected to the Internet while the PS4 doesn't have to be.

To make this cloud thing a norm, I think Sony will have to change their policies which is not recommended for few regions and is also considered anti-consumer.

But does Gaikai have 300,000 servers?

I certainly hope so if they are doing streaming to millions and millions of ps4s.

They are talking about different tech but the basic notion, if this isn't bullshit this gen (which is a HUGE if) what makes it exclusive to MS? Nothing. It will be done on everything, including your phone.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm thinking Microsoft is significantly over-estimating what their "cloud" will be able to do,

I don't think Microsoft have over-estimated what their own technology can do at all. They've almost certainly oversold aspects of it. It will never be used for graphics tasks, for instance.

Of course they do. Its just Microsoft is voicing it more, trying to use it as PR spin since the info is out that xbone is weaker than ps4. Gakai will be able to do whatever cloud on xbone can do and its already proven. Months ago Sony talked about reinforcing their infrastructure for cloud gaming and now micro comes along with the server talk.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Do people honestly think that Kinect is the only camera that can do what we've seen, or offer similar TV features? Why only compare the negative sides of X1? I think it's telling.

The strength of Gaikai/OnLive is being able to quickly compress the video feed and stream it over the net. It's kind of a different beast from raw computing power like Microsoft is hyping, though there may be some overlap.

sajj316

In order for cloud computing to work, Xbox servers must be able to run the games engine on the server side. Client has to send a request to compute, server crunches numbers, sends back to client to render/display/feedback.

What ever happened to onlive? It seems like they announce almost the exact same things cloud wise save for sony on the downloads and demo's. And MS with the cloud graphics. In a round about way I feel like they are the same goals though. Using remote computers to improve someones experience. PS3 on handhelds etc...

so microsofts billion dollar business is just smoke and mirrors ?
come the fuck on people ...

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-azure-joins-microsofts-billion-dollar-business-club-7000014669/

Yeah, what makes you think otherwise. History isn't on Microsoft's side with all the lies and bs they talked about in the past. Starting with lying about the rrod fiasco until litigation forced Their hand and then onto all the kinect fake videos and saying how awesome kinect and its games are. Yeah micro. Is great with smoke and mirrors.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sim City has proven that the cloud isn't useful for extra power.

A game that was never built to take advantage of the cloud proves that the cloud isn't useful.

Don't tell me you actually believed EA when they said that SimCity was always online because it's offloading compute tasks.

Dunk#7

The strength of Gaikai/OnLive is being able to quickly compress the video feed and stream it over the net. It's kind of a different beast from raw computing power like Microsoft is hyping, though there may be some overlap.

But Gakai is also performing all the computations from the game. Why do people keep acting like they are just streaming video like Netflix?

This cloud bullshit is just a way for Microsoft to deflect attention away from their underpowered machine. It's working too. It's science fiction nonsense that will never come into fruition.

is this argument gonna come down to:

person 1: show me a game that has used cloud effectively for extra power. prove it works.

person 2: no game has been made to take advantage of cloud yet. you can't prove it doesn't work.

???

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is this argument gonna come down to:

person 1: show me a game that has used cloud effectively for extra power. prove it works.

person 2: no game has been made to take advantage of cloud yet. you can't prove it doesn't work.

???

Sim City was hacked to include offline mode. It categorically did not use 'the cloud' to offload compute tasks.

Spartaner

Banned
Yeah, what makes you think otherwise. History isn't on Microsoft's side with all the lies and bs they talked about in the past. Starting with lying about the rrod fiasco until litigation forced Their hand and then onto all the kinect fake videos and saying how awesome kinect and its games are. Yeah micro. Is great with smoke and mirrors.

yeah thanks for the trip down memory lane.

azure got introduced in 2008 is working ever since without any significant problems.

Top Bottom