• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Taken mine out with me for the past 3 days and still haven't managed to StreetPass with anybody. Damn people where I live are lame :(
I was holding off on the Plaza RPG cause I thought it would be cooler to play through with 'actual' people, but now I'm tempted to pump all my coins into it and grab a gang of cats.
Is it any worse/less fun doing it this way?

dock

I like that meeting people several times makes them a higher level character in the RPG. My housemate has a 3DS also, so we're both up to level 4 today.

Went into town today, mostly wanting to pick up Street Pass data! I was able to pick up three people, which was neat, but I want more!

Cats are cool too, of course.

Jubbly

Got my system, very impressive bit of kit. However, U.S. gets OK Go in 3D and we get some salmon-eating bears and fireworks? WTF NOE, good job at rectifying past disparity there!

Jubbly said:
Got my system, very impressive bit of kit. However, U.S. gets OK Go in 3D and we get some salmon-eating bears and fireworks? WTF NOE, good job at rectifying past disparity there!

The OK Go video is shit.

You get fucking bears!

panda21

what bears?

thinking about getting a case but most of them i've seen look lame. just want something small and cool looking.

also can't decide whether to get nintencats+dogs or just get some DS RPGs i never played yet like dragon quest

It's strange but it took me a while to get used to 3d. On friday I couldn't play anything with the slider set to max and was a little underwhelmed. At first I think I was trying too hard to see the effect and constantly second guessing whether I had the slider right and was in the proper sweet spot. Now I just relax, put the slider to max and it just works. The 3d is now starting to really impress me. Still tires the eyes a bit after a while but nowhere near as much as it did at first.

Cwarrior

YEAY my 3ds come in this morning from amazon, sadly my copy of SSF4 not here yet.

Can't find any of my ds games only one I can find is mario64ds(which i hate)

test it out on people round the house turns out half can't see 3d.

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's strange but it took me a while to get used to 3d. On friday I couldn't play anything with the slider set to max and was a little underwhelmed. At first I think I was trying too hard to see the effect and constantly second guessing whether I had the slider right and was in the proper sweet spot. Now I just relax, put the slider to max and it just works. The 3d is now starting to really impress me. Still tires the eyes a bit after a while but nowhere near as much as it did at first.

Same here. Pilotwings was all over the shop for me when set to max., so I put it half wayish. Now I can just ramp it up fully and its amazing :)

Has anyone here bought the system but can't see the 3D because of eyesight issues? I am tempted to buy one, but obviously feel I'll be missing out on a huge part of the appeal not being able to see the 3D :(

Jubbly

Holy bears, Face Raiders and the AR cards are really impressive. AR tutorial created a hole in my desk that I had to peer into! Can't wait to see this stuff used in 'proper' games.

Oh, and we need a Face Raiders thread for good stock faces, preferably game related.

dc89

state_vector_collapse said:
Has anyone here bought the system but can't see the 3D because of eyesight issues? I am tempted to buy one, but obviously feel I'll be missing out on a huge part of the appeal not being able to see the 3D :(

When we got them in at work we opened one for display purposes. One colleague who has funny vision in his left eye couldn't see the 3D.

Zomba13

Jubbly said:
Holy bears, Face Raiders and the AR cards are really impressive. AR tutorial created a hole in my desk that I had to peer into! Can't wait to see this stuff used in 'proper' games.

Oh, and we need a Face Raiders thread for good stock faces, preferably game related.
Heavy's avatar (The TF2 Heavy all ':eek:') works really well. Game recognises it as a baby boy XD.

I have barely used the 3D because I prefer longer battery time over the 3D effect. I just want a more powerful DS with great games. Out of all the new features they've put into the 3DS, I'd put the 3D at the bottom.

Xater

Just go to the cinema and watch a 3D film. If you can see it there you can see it on the 3DS.

mclem

Zomba13 said:
Heavy's avatar (The TF2 Heavy all ':eek:') works really well. Game recognises it as a baby boy XD.

Apparently I'm a 'boy', too. At 31, I should be flattered. I'm not quite sure how many kids have beards, though.

I tried playing Face Raiders in bed. My housemate gave me a really weird look when I went downstairs that morning.

Andrefpvs

FINALLY was able to see the 3D effect. Very impressive, lots of depth. I'm also glad that I can see it perfectly with no headaches (didn't use the console for that long though).

Very unimpressed with the games so far though. I think I'm gonna stick with my initial decision of waiting for a hardware revision.

I was worried about not being able to see it as I have astigmatism (around -3.75 in both eyes) but I'm okay with it. I have noticed I have to use the 3D slider at about 25% in the different games. Anymore and it separates into double vision. Pilotwings seems to use extreme levels of stereo separation so I have it down to a slight bump above 2D.

syoaran

I presume you mean you physically can't see out of two eyes. I would not worry right now, the current software looks great without the effect. watch out for titles that function on the effect n the future

McNum

I can't see the 3D, but I bought one anyway. My eyes are slightly misaligned and I'm heavily nearsighted on one eye, but not the other. Having each eye see something different in the "same" space, but not have it shift with movement can make me dizzy. I think I see a little of it in Pilotwings, though, but the main menu is just flat to me.

Of course, I was about to buy a replacement for my old DS as the top screen was beginning to get backlighting issues, so I got a 3DS instead of a DSi. It made more sense to me to do that, even if I can't see 3D.

syoaran said:
I presume you mean you physically can't see out of two eyes. I would not worry right now, the current software looks great without the effect. watch out for titles that function on the effect n the future
You don't have to be blind on one eye to not be able to see 3D.

Shiloa

Anyone else really disappointed? I feel it's a very poor step up from the DS for the £200+ price tag. The 3D just doesn't work for me, it grates after several minutes use and I have to switch to 2D, the extras are boring (the 3D camera is so bad for one) and the games are boring too.

Anyone know how to send stuff back to Amazon? Are they ok with the console being opened?

farnham

Banned
okay i was not convinced with the 3d effect but then i watched the 3d video that nintendo put online with the system update and it blew my mind. its actually the first time i was impressed with a 3d effect (avatar did not do it for me at all). i can see myself watching some 3d movies on 3ds

farnham

Banned

syoaran

AndyMoogle said:
You don't have to be blind on one eye to not be able to see 3D.
Really? If I close one eye the effect is gone.....

Street pass is quite strange at the moment.

Spent 10mins in the middle of no-where waiting for a train - green light.
Spent 8hrs walking in central London, only now got spot passed, and that was from an old guy from Japan haha

Shiloa

syoaran said:
Read it again.

He means that someone the 3D not working isn't limited to having only one functioning eye. More general vision problems could be the cause.

The 3D is also hard to see if you're crosseyed or walleyed.

I was born with a squint, and although having had surgery my depth perception has always been pretty bad.

I actually feel the 3DS is my first taste of seeing *anything* in 3D. It's taken a few hours to get there, but it's like it's training my eyes to do something they never knew they could do.

I'd recommend the 3DS to anyone who was in a similar boat. There is vision therapy for people who've had eye problems to train them to see 3D after straightening, but I wonder how different it actually is to just playing a 3DS.

In 10-15 hours play I find it looks deeper every time I play.

Don't believe the doctors that say "your 3D vision develops at a young age and if you don't get it then, you never will", that's just down to it being a relatively new discovery. Read the book Fixing My Gaze by Susan Barry and realise that yes, you *can* learn to see 3D if you've had your eyes straightened (mine aren't 100% straight now, and one goes right in when I'm tired, but I can still do 3D a bit with the 3DS).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So i just got home with my Aqua Blue 3DS + Pilotwings, though i can get Ridge Racer for £18 if i go back tomorrow so i may just have to do that.

Fuck me this thing is incredible. AR Games blew me away, that was an unexpected treat. The camera, while poor quality, is real cool for 3D photos.

Just yes, yes all over, so happy to have a functional DS system again.

EDIT: Also my left eye is worse than my right, like considerably. But even without my glasses the 3D is right there.

syoaran

Shiloa said:
Read it again.

He means that someone the 3D not working isn't limited to having only one functioning eye. More general vision problems could be the cause.

Thanks for clearing that up ~

My original advice still stands, the machine will have some great titles that don't depend on the 3d slider being on for the game to be good. I'd argue that none of the software currently really requires the screen to be in 3d mode to function correctly.

The Streetpass app is pretty cool.

Went out at lunch with my 3DS and didnt think I would get any new Mii members in my plaza. Checked an hour ago and 4 new people!

Great idea Ninty!! :)

McNum

Android18a said:
The 3D is also hard to see if you're crosseyed or walleyed.

I was born with a squint, and although having had surgery my depth perception has always been pretty bad.

I actually feel the 3DS is my first taste of seeing *anything* in 3D. It's taken a few hours to get there, but it's like it's training my eyes to do something they never knew they could do.

I'd recommend the 3DS to anyone who was in a similar boat. There is vision therapy for people who've had eye problems to train them to see 3D after straightening, but I wonder how different it actually is to just playing a 3DS.

In 10-15 hours play I find it looks deeper every time I play.

Don't believe the doctors that say "your 3D vision develops at a young age and if you don't get it then, you never will", that's just down to it being a relatively new discovery. Read the book Fixing My Gaze by Susan Barry and realise that yes, you *can* learn to see 3D if you've had your eyes straightened (mine aren't 100% straight now, and one goes right in when I'm tired, but I can still do 3D a bit with the 3DS).
I've actually noticed something similar over the last year or so. My eyes some times sync up, but my brain can't figure out what to do with that so I just see double. I'm kind of hoping I can train my brain to do this with the 3DS, but it's not going to be easy. However, I'm seeing something at the very lowest setting for 3D in Pilotwings. It still looks flat, but I have an uncanny accuracy with the landings in that game. Also on the 3D calibration in the system software, I think I saw the Nintendo logo float out of the screen once or twice.

I have, however, seen 3D that worked perfectly for me once, but I'm never getting one of those for my own. I've been in a CAVE. Everything else just seems underwhelming after trying that. That's the only time I've ever reached out for a 3D image that I knew wasn't real, but I still had to check.

Still, gotta give the 3DS credit, it can work, but it's giving me the expected 3D headache. I'm just dumb enough to keep at it in hope of fixing my depth perception. I'm kind of hoping for Star Fox to help here. If te remake is the same 45-50 minutes long as the N64 original, it might be perfect for this. However, if someone makes a 3D Vision Training game like the Brain Training games, I might buy one to try it out.

syoaran said:

Street pass is quite strange at the moment.

Spent 10mins in the middle of no-where waiting for a train - green light.
Spent 8hrs walking in central London, only now got spot passed, and that was from an old guy from Japan haha

I got an old guy from Japan also and I was in central london. Must be same guy lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Disguises said:
Erm...play it while it's charging?

I'm a wee bit paranoid that could fudge up the battery. I do as I'm told, and it tells me to charge it fully before using for the first time.

So... I sort of understand why StreetPass doesn't work when you have a DS game in sleep mode, as annoying as that is (it would conflict with the handful of DS games that have similar features built-in), but why is it that you can't list a DS game as your favorite on your Friend Card? Activity Log still tracks DS software individually, after all.

Also, are the speakers really weak, or is my 3DS defective? My DS Phat is significantly louder on max volume.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Gonna leave streetpass on in my bag tomorrow at Uni, see what i get wandering the city centre.

Also have we got a thread or good source for 3D pictures? I definitely need to check some out.

qwerty2k

speakers are indeed pretty quiet. Think im going to have to rely on taking the 3ds to work to clockup coins via the pedometer as im pretty sure the chance of me bumping into anyone with a 3ds via streetpass is zero.

Bliddo

syoaran said:
I can see perfectly from both my eyes, but my brain doesn't merge the two images it receives from them like most people do. Result: my depth perception is fine (mostly due to 'practice') but there's no way in hell that I can see the 3d effect.

and I just ordered a 3ds, because I'm an idiot.

Air Zombie Meat said:

My experience has been similar to yours. Haven't played too much, my longest session was ridge racer for about an hour and a half on Friday, and I was really struggling with the 3d. On slow moving stuff I'm fine, but when the speed ramps up, I was still getting the 3d, but a slight ghost image on the left hand side of everything.

Today, playing pilotwings, I seem to be getting more used to it, I think It'll just take time. I need glasses, but I've been real lazy about wearing them for the last six months, really only wearing them for driving. Actually wearing my goddamn glasses seems to help as well :)

Merovin

qwerty2k said:
speakers are indeed pretty quiet. Think im going to have to rely on taking the 3ds to work to clockup coins via the pedometer as im pretty sure the chance of me bumping into anyone with a 3ds via streetpass is zero.

Been out all day today, got my 10 coins, went round various shopping centres/places where you'd expect people to be carrying a hand-held console, nothing on Streetpass. Ah well, it was a nice idea Nintendo..

Merovin said:
Been out all day today, got my 10 coins, went round various shopping centres/places where you'd expect people to be carrying a hand-held console, nothing on Streetpass. Ah well, it was a nice idea Nintendo..

Is 10 the max you can get in a day?

Marbles

Merovin said:

Same here, 6000 steps in the last two days and nothing. I tried walking through the local shopping centre and had a jaunt in the city centre. Zip, zilch, nada!!

I don't carry a bag and just keep the 3DS in my jeans. I wonder if that would have an affect on it picking up a tag? But then again, if your getting a hit while it's in a bag then surely a trouser pocket would be just as good.

Top Bottom