• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

Theecliff

Banned
right, to expand on my impressions:

taron egerton is even better in the role this time round. he gives a great performance with some surprisingly subtle moments here and there.

whilst it is true that there isn't an equivalent to the church scene here, i would say as a whole the action is stronger. if people are concerned about the way in which the action is shot based on the first film it's worth noting that despite sharing a similar style, the golden circle seems a lot more polished up and readable - much smoother camera movements and seemingly cutting less. the opening action sequence in particular is great, and features one of the coolest car chase shots this year outside of baby driver (even though it seemed completely cgi).

add to that the film definitely looks a lot nicer in general than it's predecessor. whilst the first film didn't have an enormous budget it could look quite 'cheap' at times, something that became quite noticeable seeing it on the big screen again and especially back to back with it's sequel. there's way less horrible green screen and compositing effects here and whilst the cgi definitely has over the top qualities it can look quite good. the cinematography seems more polished up and nicer in general too.

i liked how there was quite a bit more 'spying' in here over its predecessor. the film is full of gleefully goofy gadgets that the character's get to use as well. really does feel like a classic bond film on drugs at times.

turning the
failed recruit charlie from the first film into a henchman
was pretty fun and led to an amusing and believable rivalry between him and eggsy. his eventual
comeuppance
was pretty satisfying.

the trump lampooning was pretty spot on.

the humour as a whole hits more than it misses. there's some really funny moments and lines in here. but sadly the
elton john
cameo overstays its welcome enormously. whilst there are some pretty good jokes surrounding them here and there
elton
is an absolutely terrible actor, and that aforementioned moment where the film crosses the 'absurdity' line with their character feels like it came out of a completely different, lesser comedy.

the
glastonbury scene
rubbed me the wrong way and i definitely think it's gonna be a sore talking point when more people start seeing this. the first kingsman didn't shy away from using sex as a gag (which i still think people missed that it was supposed to be a parody of the way older bond films ended) but the implications of this scene in golden circle feel really uncomfortable. maybe they just wanted one-up themselves? not sure what they were thinking here :/

julianne moore's poppy is introduced quite interestingly and she seems to really be enjoying the role but the film never really does much with her beyond her introduction, making her come off as a bit of a damp villain. people like to mock samuel l. jackson's valentine for the lisp thing but he was a compelling villain that secret service used well throughout the film, leading to a satisfying pay off. there's never really the same thing in the golden circle. i kind of wish they had explored the implications of her obsession with americana aesthetics in particular, could have made for an interesting discussion on the damaging aspects of nostalgia for that period.

the statesmen are a bit of a disappointment in the end. whilst i can appreciate that they didn't want to take away too much of a limelight from the main characters, their presence is slightly lacking throughout the film, most notably in regards to
channing tatum's tequila who literally spends the majority of his time in this film incapacitated. this also makes the ending's set up where tatum seems to be a part of kingsman (?) seem a little hollow considering he hasn't really had much to do with anything.

pedro pascal's agent whiskey has some great moments but they completely fumble his 'turn' to being the final villain. once again it feels like the film is missing a set up to make the pay off work, as something that is important to his character's motivations is barely touched on outside of a brief moment where drugs aren't even mentioned. if the film had integrated his backstory into the plot a bit more or given any indication that he despises drugs it would have given him a clearer arc and made his turn seem less awkward.

this, combined with my issues about poppy genuinely makes it feel like there's a chunk of this film that's been cut out, perhaps because it was already too long anyway. there's definitely a moment or two from the trailers that didn't make it in.

so as a whole i'd say the film starts off really strong as it's setting everything up but never quite comes together, leading to pay offs not really hitting with the impact that they should and the film feeling messy as a result. it's not a bad film but definitely a disappointment.

Fury451

Banned
How big is Harry's role? I enjoyed Taron in the first one but Firth was the real star to me. Anything cool happen with him?

shaneo632

How big is Harry's role? I enjoyed Taron in the first one but Firth was the real star to me. Anything cool happen with him?

Much more of a supporting player this time, he gets involved more later on but it's not a huge part. And no, nothing cool really.

yodandy

Saw it last night. I had a blast as expected but it's not as good as the first. Lots of moments that were a bit 'too much'. Namely:
Them having to insert a tracker into a woman's vagina. The overuse of the Elton John cameo. Julianne Moore's tone was all over the place. NEXT ONE IS A BIG SPOILER: The fact that the minesweeper was a baseball bat for no reason, and that it didn't even fucking work leading to the death of a major character.

The best example of how the film advances in tone and stakes is the jump from Kick-Ass to Kick-Ass 2. Everything gets a bit meaner, a bit more ridiculous and some of the plot developments will inevitably sit the wrong way with people in comparison to the lighter tone of the first.

That said, this is far better than KA2 obviously. This isn’t a comparison of the quality decline, not at all, just of the difference in tone.

Lothars

I'll never understand how people can love Kingsman so much. Matthew Vaughn has made some really entertaining films but Kingsman is, sigh, just not that. It's a movie made by an ad agency to be cool. It's so self-aware but lacks the soul of Hot Fuzz or Scott Pilgrim. There isn't a single likeable character in the entire film. Even the best scene in Kingsman the feels like was directed by a hungover Edgar Wright.
I don't agree, Kingsman is as good as Hot Fuzz or Scott Pilgrim. It was just a fun movie that I really enjoy and can go back to.

Theecliff

Banned
Any scenes like the final one in the first movie?
you mean the
anal sex
scene? there's a reference to it in dialogue as well as an equivalent scene but the circumstances that surround it are a bit... iffy. it felt super sleazy in comparison as it didn't come across as a clear reference with a punchline that was supposed to parody bond like the original's did.

Fury451

Banned
Much more of a supporting player this time, he gets involved more later on but it's not a huge part. And no, nothing cool really.

Thanks.

that really sucks. He and Eggsy had great chemistry, not exploiting that for some really cool action or something seems like a waste

My thoughts (spoilers from here)

- It's ok, not great. Worse than the first, its quite similar to Kick-ass 2 in that regard.
- The 'sex joke' is gross, borderline rape joke, and its worse than the first one.
- There's no equivalent to the church scene or exploding heads scene. That doesn't mean the action scenes are bad, they're just not as great as the first.
- Female characters are flimsy and poorly characterised.
- Chaning Tatum feels like he's being set up for cool action stuff, then he disappears for the majority of the film.
- Whiskey's twist is both really obvious but also gets virtually no set up at all.
Statesman's magic 'save from a headshot' device is bollocks.
- Needed more Firth and Bridges too, like way more.
- Elton John cameo is kinda funny, but becomes too much really quickly.
- Taron Egerton remains winning.
- Potshots at the trump administration were funny.
-
Merlin's death wouldn't have worked if Strong wasn't such a great actor.

Overall, its a 6 at best.

g11

Damn, that's quite a gulf between the Metacritic and the RT, and I usually find RT scores to be bizarrely inflated (most of the time). Guess I'll wait for Blu-ray/Netflix.

Timu

Damn, that's quite a gulf between the Metacritic and the RT, and I usually find RT scores to be bizarrely inflated (most of the time). Guess I'll wait for Blu-ray/Netflix.
That's because it hasn't been updated yet. On metacritic it's at 48 and rotten tomatoes went down to 55% now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
no idea why this movie is reviewing poorly

it was FUCKING CRAZY

pacing was excellent, just enough comedic & emotional moments to keep the cast likeable and heaping servings of AAA 10/10 action.

run don't walk to see this god damned movie!!!

🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧

i think they will bring back a character next movie, just give me some bullshit reason to
get roxy back

I enjoyed it a lot. A fun romp.

Felt like
Firth was super phoning it in though. At first I thought it was part of the character having amnesia, but nope, he just didn't seem to be putting 100% in.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't see the issue with the sex scene in this one. But then again, I thought the one in the first movie was totally fine too.

Ugh, hearing
Roxy
bites it is a huge downer. I was hoping she would have a larger part in the sequel.

No significant trailer appearances should've made it painfully obvious.
THR review even spoils it.

Mr. Sam

God, I thought that movie was awful. Like, almost unbearable. And its treatment of women was somehow even worse than the first.

Still, I couldn't believe when Channing Tatum did
fucking nothing

- Potshots at the trump administration were funny.

I'd assumed the script was finished well before Trump took office because the president barely resembles him at all. Weirdly, he seems much more of a Dubya caricature.

Calabi

I thought it was ok. Not quite as good as the first but not terrible. It was funny in places had good character moments wasnt just rushing to get to the next scene like most action scenes these days.

Some of the action scenes were a bit disorienting and I dont know if its something wrong with the movie or the cinema I was in but there was bad mixing of the audio. But overall I thought it was a good fun action film.

Qvoth

Just finished, yeah definitely weaker than the 1st movie

I see some comparison to kick ass movies, this is DEFINITELY NOT as bad as kick ass 2, I'm saying this as a decent fan of the comics

Movie definitely needs to be cut at least half an hour shorter or something, I dunno the run time but feels draggy

Spoilers
If Harry survives a goddamn gunshot to the head, Roxy definitely survives, we saw her trying to jump away from the missile so they could just pull some bullshit later on

Surprised to see Channing in London, so Eggsy retires is what I'm guessing? I mean he's married to a royalty now, so he broke Kingsman rules, I think lore wise it makes decent sense

Just back from this and loved it. Most fun I've had at the cinema all year. Had a grin on my face from start to finish and the whole room erupted into laughter many times due to it either being funny or ridiculously OTT at points. Easily on par with the first in my opinion.

Pedro Pascal stole the show. His fights scenes were by far the highlights.

These negative views in here are mind boggling.

fhqwhgads

Just watched the moviebob review, sums up my thoughts pretty well, though
I didn't really care about everything with the president, didn't care for his secretary and thought the Elton John stuff was actually funny all the way through, though it's true they probably relied too much on his starpower for some scenes.

Handling of the characters is without a doubt the dumbest part of the film. Spoiling Harry's return, killing off Roxy and Merlin, not doing enough with Poppy, Whisky's whole deal, ect ect. It's still an okay film, but everything feels very jumbled.

SilentRob

Alright, this has nothing to do with anything, but:

If you decide to start your video with an elaborate, fast, witty monologue focused on presenting it as quickly as possible for comedic purposes...don't use jumpcuts. It untermines the whole thing. Also, don't show the MiB poster when alluring to MiB when you already directly reference MiB with the prop at the end or you're gonna spoil your own joke.

ALSO...there is no fucking way this isn't just Somecallmejohnny in disguise, right?

Carnby

Wow. They buried this movie.

"How does Julianne Moore who lives in a temple in a jungle have drones placed all over the world?"

"hey.!..don't ask questions. ...It's a cartoon." LMAO

And comparing the cast to basically being G.I. Joe characters sealed the deal for me. I'll be skipping this one.

mackattk

Just watched it. It was good, not great. Didn't think the
Elton John bits were good at all... Especially when he started beating up the henchman...really?

Liked the first one much better

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So there's not a single black person among the US' version fo the Kingsmen uh?

Exis

I enjoyed it, I liked the
Drug legalization
story and was pissed with them them
killing Merlin
but otherwise liked it.

I don't really see it as 'full Millar'

Top Bottom