• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis Restaurant Owner gives details on incident with police during protests

McBryBry

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foo...olice-union-puts-him-and-pi-pizzeria-on-blast

On Friday, Pi Pizzeria was gassed by St. Louis police officers who were marching through the neighborhood after protests took an ugly turn a bit further west. Owner Chris Sommers was there.

Yesterday, the pro-police group Blue Lives Matters put Sommers on blast for his response — and the union representing St. Louis County police officers shared the link and echoed the call on its Facebook page. "There are reports of people calling the restaurants tying up their phone lines expressing their feelings about the owners anti-police comments. We have been busy protecting everyone's free speech during the demonstrations. Here are the numbers if you feel like your freedom of speech needs a little exercise," the police union posted, sharing numbers for Pi locations.

As I drove past Euclid on my way home, I looked south and saw a wall of militarized police marching in line to our corner. It was immediately alarming because they were not pushing any protestors or clearing anyone from the street. They were approaching an empty block, marching by themselves with gas masks, guns and shields. I immediately stopped my car and ran back to my restaurant, still baffled why they were coming our way. When they reached the corner, at least one of them began shooting indiscriminately, at absolutely no one. Some of the shots (pepper pellets, I later learned) were directed towards the air, so it appears they were just trying to intimidate. But whom? The only people around were guests and neighbors and a few people with cameras. I had previously pulled out my phone and got all of this on tape.

After they threw a tear gas canister at me (again, on video), a guy next to me picked it up and threw it back at them, either to get it away from him and others at Pi, or because he felt violated and wanted to return the poison. They certainly didn't like that, and finally crossed the street, rushing at me as I ran into my restaurant and barely got the door closed before they could break in. Yes, I had to lock down my restaurant for the first time from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. I then had to close the restaurant, buy dinner for remaining guests and ensure that my team, who were now all terrified from the gas and rush by the police, had a safe ride home. I repeat, we only closed our restaurant this weekend out of fear of police, not protestors or the shitheads vandalizing.

The Blue Lives Matter (Only) people who are threatening me and my business use phrases like "Black Lives Don't Matter" in their messages. They all have Trump and "Make America Great Again" tags in their profiles. Oh, and they generally seem to love Jesus. It just doesn't compute. But then again, it all makes sense for these authoritarian types. Despite the SLMPD catching none of the criminals who have assaulted and robbed me, my businesses and employees, or home, I have continued to support them. They have NOT protected me and often never showed up when I've called them, but I've continue to serve them, with free meals and cash. No longer. And I'll lose less money on every meal I don't give away to them.

The systematic racism and corruption in our SLMPD and beyond is well-known and documented. (What I've experienced the past few days, however, is trivial when compared to what African Americans do on a daily basis. I don't at all mean to create a false equivalency with this. I know the gun they used on me could have been different if I were black.) I've had many cops and relatives of cops and former cops approach me since this incident to tell me of their own experiences with it, and why they had to leave the force because they could not ethically continue. A co-worker of mine was dining in St. Louis on Friday, when six cops came in bragging about killing Smith, saying "so what, we killed him, St. Louis needs to move on." No one at that table questioned that officer.

A lot more in the article. I've been to this restaurant plenty of times, Chris and the staff are great people. It really sucks that this kind of shit has to happen to them.

norm9

I find it very easy to believe that cops who chant Our Streets! would indiscriminately shoot tear gas and terrorize people just becasue they can.

Good on him for writing that. It's difficult, but more people need the courage to speak up against the police. Being silent gives them more power without consequence.

I tried to give him a positive review but YELP has already wiped his page clean and has notified anybody visiting his page is being monitored for both positive and negative politically charged comments.

If you live in the area and post for political reasons. Make sure it doesn't look that way.

He's at 4 stars currently

The police inviting internet mobs to harass their constituents is a new twist on this horror show. SLPD is absurdly corrupt, and the DOJ won't do anything (despite the mountain of evidence they collected) with Sessions at the helm.

cyress8

Banned
They have NOT protected me and often never showed up when I've called them, but I've continue to serve them, with free meals and cash

I'm really hoping he meant taxes. He should not be giving them cash at all.

I feel like the white supremacist invasion of the police would be best fought by an infiltration of our own. I don't know any liberals who want to be cops though.

geestack

this is just straight up fascism, the police are encouraging people to wreck his business because they don't like him

Dyle

Pretty insane that the police union published he and his employee's personal information on their facebook page. Ridiculous the lengths they'll go to attack anyone they disagree with

The police inviting internet mobs to harass their constituents is a new twist on this horror show. SLPD is absurdly corrupt, and the DOJ won't do anything (despite the mountain of evidence they collected) with Sessions at the helm.

And people will continue to stupidly wonder why minorities in these communities and beyond don’t trust law enforcement, the legal system, or the government in general to advocate for them. They'll continue to ask where the frustration and anger come from despite blatant examples like this of public servants and their loyal dogs using power and fear to oppress.

Saganator

Unbeli.... yeah actually totally believable, I wish this was unbelieveable. I'm scared things are going to get worse before they get better. Not just in STL, but in every major city.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That's terrorism.

They're directing their legion of chuckle fucks at people who dare talk about how they behave.

Fucking disgusting.

AJLma

Good ol' bribe money. Throw down some cash for that extra level of protection. Might take em' five minutes less to get there if you call.

/s

Own a successful restaurant in a medium/large town? It's in your best interest. A shame but true.

EDIT: No, it shouldn't be a shame to want to support your local police, but when it turns out like this in the end...

Pi's Facebook presence - both for St Louis and DC - is gone. I guess people were bombing both of them and it was easier to shut it all down than deal with it.

The hell.

televator

The blue gang gotta show the have nots who owns the streets. To serve fear and intimidate. That was the goal. Police really do need to be added to the official lists of street gangs.

TyrantII

Law and Order shall be maintained as a few billionaires dismantle what's left of the middle class, while demonizing poor people.

Comply. Or else.

kmfdmpig

From "protect and serve" to "our streets", asshole cops with "you're fucked" engraved on their guns, and Punisher logos on their cars.

And some of them are too stupid to understand why people might be afraid of them and resent them.

Some are like cartoon villains who wonder why people don't like them. They remind me of Trump in that regard.

Zolo

I feel like the white supremacist invasion of the police would be best fought by an infiltration of our own. I don't know any liberals who want to be cops though.

I mean....the OP even has:

I've had many cops and relatives of cops and former cops approach me since this incident to tell me of their own experiences with it, and why they had to leave the force because they could not ethically continue.

GeoMantle

Neo Member
Was at a protest outside of the Justice Center on Monday night and he was out giving out slices of pizza to protestors. It's important to note that it was raining and even thunderstorming most of the night.

Before this weekend I had never been to a protest. I went friday night, saw the officers' conduct and violence with my own eyes and have been to 5 actions since. It might be hard to believe for some, but the violence has almost always been against protestors, not by them.

Was at a protest outside of the Justice Center on Monday night and he was out giving out slices of pizza to protestors. It's important to note that it was raining and even thunderstorming most of the night.

Before this weekend I had never been to a protest. I went friday night, saw the officers' conduct and violence with my own eyes and have been to 5 actions since. It might be hard to believe for some, but the violence has almost always been against protestors, not by them.

Not hard to believe for some people and sadly it's not new at all but an old and useful tactic for painting protests by minorities as villainous:

Martin Luther King Jr.'s Trumpet of Conscience said:
“Violent they certainly were. But the violence, to a startling degree, was focused against property rather than against people. There were very few cases of injury to persons, and the vast majority of the rioters were not involved at all in attacking people. The much-publicized “death toll” that marked the riots, and the many injuries, were overwhelmingly inflicted on the rioters by the military. It is clear that the riots were exacerbated by police action that was designed to injure or even to kill people. As for the snipers, no account of the riots claims that more than one or two dozen people were involved in sniping. From the facts, an unmistakable pattern emerges: a handful of Negroes used gunfire substantially to intimidate, not to kill; and all of the other participants had a different target – property.

I am aware that there are many who wince at a distinction between property and persons – who hold both sacrosanct. My views are not so rigid. A life is sacred. Property is intended to serve life, and no matter how much we surround it with rights and respect, it has no personal being. It is part of the earth man walks on; it is not man.

The focus on property in the 1967 riots is not accidental. It has a message; it is saying something.

If hostility to whites were ever going to dominate a Negroe’s attitude and reach murderous proportions, surely it would be during a riot. But this rare opportunity for bloodletting was sublimated into arson, or turned into a kind of stormy carnival of free-merchandise distribution. Why did the rioters avoid personal attacks? The explanation cannot be fear of retribution, because the physical risks were no less than for personal assaults. The military forces were treating acts of petty larceny as equal to murder. Far more rioters took chances with their own lives, in their attacks on property, than threatened the life of anyone else. Why were they so violent with property then? Because property represents the white power structure, which they were attacking and trying to destroy. A curious proof of the symbolic aspect of the looting for some who took part in it is the fact that, after the riots, police received hundreds of calls from Negroes trying to return merchandise they had taken. Those people wanted the experience of taking, of redressing the power imbalance that property represents. Possession, afterward, was secondary.

A deeper level of hostility came out in arson, which was far more dangerous than the looting. But it, too, was a demonstration and a warning. It was directed against symbols of exploitation, and it was designed to express the depth of anger in the community."

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I mean....the OP even has:

I've had many cops and relatives of cops and former cops approach me since this incident to tell me of their own experiences with it, and why they had to leave the force because they could not ethically continue.

I know of a friend I went to high school with who left the Houston PD for the same reason. He couldn't sit by and be "one of the good ones" while so many on the force were terrible and got promoted for it,

Zolo

I know first hand of a friend I went to high school with who left the Houston PD for the same reason. He couldn't sit by and be "one of the good ones" while so many on the force were terrible and got promoted for it,

Yeah. It's an institutional problem. No idea how to solve it though hopefully a Democratic Presidency DoJ could crack down on it.

Top Bottom