• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Watchmen’ HBO Adaptation From Damon Lindelof Officially A Go With Pilot

I feel sorry for the people that haven't seen The Leftovers.

This is pretty much at the top of my most anticipated shows now, its going to blow minds :)

DeathyBoy

Banned
he's saying that Prometheus was Scott's fault, not Lindelof's. i think

Alien Covenant was absolutely atrocious in every conceivable regard. Say what you will about Prometheus, but it tried. It failed, but it tried.

I'd be happy if every trace of AC was thrown into space.

Actually makes me angry. Hideous film.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's cuz they're mostly bad. lol

Really bad.

Maybe The Authority by Ellis but there isn't much. And Morrison does Morrison.

I love Ellis and I know it's similar in terms of being about power, but I don't recall The Authority playing with formal structure like Watchmen.

Morrison indeed does Morrison, but he almost out Moored Moore with Pax. The three timelines in one double spread was pretty spectacular.

Was this resolved yet? As in why are Watchmen characters appearing in the main DC timeline and such?

If you were to believe Moore he'd say it was because DC had been strip mining him for ideas for decades because they had none of their own. This would be just before he turns around to write another League of Extraordinary Gentlemen spin-off.

kingslunk

Like clockwork. So many posts from you repeating "Lindelof sucks", zero argument to back that shit up. You might be the laziest poster on GAF.

I think his work speaks for himself.
Prometheus:
He had people visiting an alien planet take their helmets off without any consideration of diseases or parasites.

Star Trek Into Darkness: He literally took an already written story and just modified it to be the opposite. No thanks. Let's continue to remove all "science" from Star Trek.

Lost:
How are we going to end the show? Purgatory. Let's use that to basically overshadow the fact that they had no real good answer to anything they were trying to do with the show. Let's rush it to the end and just throw out a few sentences why everything ended up the way they did.

Almost everything that's original from him makes some biblical/religious analogy. It's tiring and quite unoriginal at this point. Do you want me to keep going? It's just half assed recycled bullshit from him.

His writing is the complete opposite of Alan Moore's. Why you think he would fit well for a Watchmen adaptation is beyond me.

Mully

Humm, sounds like I will watch leftovers next. I have skipped it so far since it sounded kinda rapture-like in the description. That cage movie soured me on those plot lines. :

On topic, I wouldn't say no to more watchmen.

The Leftovers is a really fantastic allegory about how society has reacted to 9/11. Lindelof did a wonderful job of mixing religion and relationships on both a micro and macro level throughout the entire show.

Watch it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
What's Aaron Eckhart doing these days? Get him beefed up and tell him to lay it on thick acting wise and I think he'd be a good fit.

tumblr_m11cbqoqbX1r37xnm.gif

That's a bloody great casting.

Nameless

Ehh, sorta disappointing. Didn't enjoy the comic or the movie. I find this to be a boring world filled with incredibly boring characters outside of Dr. Manhattan. I'd prefer to see Lindelof's talents put to better use. Oh well.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ehh, sorta disappointing. Didn't enjoy the comic or the movie. I find this to be a boring world filled with incredibly boring characters outside of Dr. Manhattan. I'd prefer to see Lindelof's talents put to better use. Oh well.

Come up with some suggestions then!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lost:
How are we going to end the show? Purgatory. Let's use that to basically overshadow the fact that they had no real good answer to anything they were trying to do with the show. Let's rush it to the end and just throw out a few sentences why everything ended up the way they did.

What a strange misunderstanding of Lost's ending. I mean, don't get me wrong, the final season of Lost had tons of issues but what you just said simply isn't true.
Purgatory
was not an answer to what they were doing with the show. That's completely separate from the main mysteries of the series.

But yes, it wasn't a great final season. Does that somehow many the long list of great episodes he wrote in the five seasons that came before not exist?

And you list all this stuff you don't like by him but don't even mention the most recent thing he's done, which was critically acclaimed.

He's had some big misses, mainly in the cinema, but he has a long list of great work in television. Your hate for him is a bit much.

Alright Lindy, stick to the book as much as humanly possible and you might just pull it off. Well, that's also depending on the execution. Let's worry less about characters looking badass in show motion and instead focus on what makes them work in the novel. I also want to see that gritty stylized feel of the comic replicated on screen. 70's/80's New York is the way to go and has an incredible atmosphere.

This could be fucking amazing if they nail it.

HotHamBoy

Awful writer. Awful idea.

I didn't like Lost but The Leftovers is one of my favorite shows of all time.

At any rate, I think he has a better chance at a good adaptation than Snyder.

I consider Lindelof to be a straight up terrorist.

The man has stolen countless hours from geeks, with waste of times like Lost and the even more preposterous The Leftovers. Ruining movies like Prometheus doesn't help either.

And now he's just going to retread this tired old ground? The man's a psychopath. Maniacally obsessed with mediocrity and making people waste countless number of hours of their lives.

tumblr_mbmmjcuZwj1qiplke.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
It was always crying out for a longer form adaption than a movie, but it's a product of it's time and kind of antiquated now.

Unless it's set in the 90s and retains something of the original ending I don't think it's going to be all that effective. Making the Comedian an Iraq War vet instead isn't going to have the same impact as Vietnam.

After The Incredibles did the retired heroes thing almost perfectly, I feel Watchmen became unnecessary.

Ross61

I consider Lindelof to be a straight up terrorist.

The man has stolen countless hours from geeks, with waste of times like Lost and the even more preposterous The Leftovers. Ruining movies like Prometheus doesn't help either.

And now he's just going to retread this tired old ground? The man's a psychopath. Maniacally obsessed with mediocrity and making people waste countless number of hours of their lives.

You need help.

Top Bottom