• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount and Blade: Warband |OT|

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
warband.jpg

Mount and Blade: Warband is a standalone followup to the EviLorely acclaimed indie open-world action strategy RPG Mount and Blade, offering 64-player multiplayer battles, an expanded single player campaign, and improved graphics and animations.

When: Now available, $30

Where:

-Steam
-Gamersgate
-Direct2Drive
-Impulse

Features:

Steam said:
-Graphical overhaul: Support added for HDR, FSAA, depth of field, soft particles, tone mapping, and many other effects

-New models with greater detail and high-quality textures

-Multiplayer battles with up to 64 players. Multiplayer modes include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Conquest, Battle, and Siege

-A campaign allowing you to become the ruler of a faction and convince lords to become your vassals

-The ability to upgrade your companions to vassals by granting them lands

-The ability to marry a lady of the realm for romance or cold political gain. Try to win a lady’s heart through poetry or bravery

-Improved mechanics for soldier morale: Soldiers will break and run away if their morale gets too low

-Pick any projectile off the battlefield for use as additional munitions

-New motion-captured combat animations

-Numerous improvements to the combat system: Your shield will still stop arrows even if you are not actively defending

-The ability to play multiplayer matches on random maps as well as hand-designed ones

-Multiplayer equipment system: Earn money by fighting opponents or accomplishing goals
The ability to use most throwing weapons in close combat: Switch to using a javelin as a short spear when the enemy gets close

-Spend gold on more powerful equipment, using a carefully balanced system that will make combat more exciting without giving too much of an advantage to the leading team

System Requirements:

Processor: 2.1 GHz or higher
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 900 MB of free space
Graphics: Graphics card (128 MB+)
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX 9c

Screens (resized from 1080p):

warbandot01.jpg

warbandot02.jpg

warbandot03.jpg

Dreavus

New features sound great.

I dumped around 20 hours into the first game even before I put on any mods on, but stopped playing after I reformatted. Multiplayer sounds completely awesome, though.

For the multiplayer equipment system... how is that going to work exactly? Do you earn gold as a team over multiple matches, or do you earn gold to buy stuff midgame (by running back to your "pack")?

vocab

Impressions on the single player? If it's got a full out campaign that's worth a damn, I might pick it up down the line.

Llyranor

Really liked the combat (esp. mounted) in the vanilla demo, but never got around to getting the game. Will pick this up down the line for the multiplayer.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ceebs said:
I know it's standalone, but is there anything you miss by not having the original installed?

Warband's a full game, just not different enough that they're comfortable calling it a sequel. So no, having the original installed would just be for using mods that aren't compatible with Warband yet etc., no benefits for Warband itself.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I heard there were cool landscape mods for this. Could somebody share the links?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Did the first couple missions, and took a few screens (added to OP). It seems they've actually put some effort into the single player quests this time around, so people starting things up won't be at a loss as to what to do.

I heard there were cool landscape mods for this. Could somebody share the links?

I have a thread about the gorgeous Polished Landscapes mod (which is supposed to be compatible with Warband, iirc? haven't checked personally yet) here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378518

But of course feel free to discuss it here in the Warband thread rather than bumping that one.

Mkliner

Your horse has a health bar now? Awesome! I always hated gambling with my horses life. And the sp changes sound basically like multiple kickass mods combined.

EviLore said:
Did the first couple missions, and took a few screens (added to OP). It seems they've actually put some effort into the single player quests this time around, so people starting things up won't be at a loss as to what to do.

Are there still cattle quests?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mkliner said:
Your horse has a health bar now? Awesome! I always hated gambling with my horses life. And the sp changes sound basically like multiple kickass mods combined.

Yep, they've also tuned the command system so that you don't have to memorize all the keys to issues orders effectively. Press F1 once to bring up the options, then the F-options pop up on the left and you select what you want. I'm sure many more folks will actually use the command options now.

zaxor0

I have put countless hours into the first one. I have to get this soon, I've been waiting since the annoucement!!!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
EviLore said:
Yep, they've also tuned the command system so that you don't have to memorize all the keys to issues orders effectively. Press F1 once to bring up the options, then the F-options pop up on the left and you select what you want. I'm sure many more folks will actually use the command options now.
Noticed that in the beta. It's a great improvement over the old system, looking forward to finally trying it out in the SP game.

Ashitaka

I am terrible at the multiplayer in this game, just awful. It's still really cool watching groups start to work together during matches though. I'm definitely going to stick with it though as it seems like the kind of thing that rewards skill and patience.

I played a bit of the single player beta last weekend and it seems like they've done a better job of having a variety of quests and leading new players by the hand a bit more (though the first merchant quest I got ended up bugged out and caused everyone in the game to say the same thing to me). Looking forward to putting more hours in and can't wait to see what some modders are able to do.

I did see cattle quests in my brief time with the beta, but I didn't take them, so I'm not sure if they've tuned that terrible fucking system or not.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Huh, okay, Steam just updated the game from version 0.8XX to 1.1XX. Was noticing some bugs in my first session, so that's probably why.

No cattle missions that I can see. All the nearby villages asked me to help them with bandits.

depths20XX

Thought the first game was great but got pretty dull after while. This one looks like it has some great improvements. Will definetly be getting it. Multiplayer seems like it would be awesome but I'm curious on how well it plays out.

IMACOMPUTA

I have a question regarding multiplayer;

Do you actually take your single player character online and use the equipment you have collected throughout your sp campaign?
So single player is like grinding and then you go online and show off your bad-ass character? If this is the case, i'm fucking sold on warband.
Is it like arena style matches where you get joined with random people? Does anything online affect your offline campaign?

Thanks!

Ashitaka

depths20XX said:
Thought the first game was great but got pretty dull after while. This one looks like it has some great improvements. Will definetly be getting it. Multiplayer seems like it would be awesome but I'm curious on how well it plays out.

The first one really suffered from lack of content, there were only a handful of quests, and becoming a vassal to a lord or helping one of the rebel claimants only went so far. That's why mods were so important, you could become king and make your companions lords, as well as new quests and tuned mechanics.

The original reminded me of Pirates!, and the new one seems to take that even further, really looking forward to digging in to it this weekend.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So no one picked it up, huh. Ah well, I'll provide more impressions tomorrow.

Smash88

Banned
EviLore said:

I enjoyed the beta of Mount & Blade, I still can't see the justification in $30 for either game. Either $10 or $15 would seem more enticing for me to purchase this, and I'm sure for many other people. I'm hoping for a steam sale for either games, before I hop onboard.

But hearing impressions would be nice, since I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
goddammit, was hoping to have all my shit sorted by the time this came out.

back to slammit pinball i guess.

if you have a roof and haven't considered this game, you're something of an ingrate.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EviLore said:

I have a thread about the gorgeous Polished Landscapes mod (which is supposed to be compatible with Warband, iirc? haven't checked personally yet) here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378518

But of course feel free to discuss it here in the Warband thread rather than bumping that one.
oh, thanks. I'll test it on the trial version.

Volodja

I'll buy this game as soon as I have money.
To be honest I expected the multiplayer to be far worse than what I experienced in the 2 games I've played in the open beta.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
There have been issues with Steam being slow with the patches, unsure if it's fixed now. I used a workaround to move my game off Steam (Steam CD-Keys can be used to activate the game at Taleworlds's site)

They may be fixed now.

THis is a pretty good game. Not a fan of the multiplayer yet though, it's difficult and kinda limited at the moment.

No, SP and MP entirely seperate.

SP is worth it though.

koji

Picking it up one of these days, still have a huge pile of backlog to finish up but one more addition to the list won't kill me.

Soule

Hahaha yessss love me some Mount and Blade! My brother somehow got me hooked on the original, dunno how I usually hate his taste in games and totally different to what he usually goes for but I bit and loved it. As soon as I saw the notice on steam I was texting him and a few mates telling them to go get it, so keen to check this out, bought it this morning just got back from work and ready and rearing to start dominating some bitches!

Ashitaka

I got a chance to play a bit this morning before work. I can verify that the merchant cattle quest is in, but I didn't do it so I'm still not sure how it'll work. I did pick up the opening quest (help a merchant free his brother from bandits), but haven't had a chance to continue that quest chain yet. It's worth mentioning that it is a quest chain though which is new to these games and really makes doing them more interesting.

I also did the "rescue the kidnapped girl" and "deliver a letter", got smoked by some bandits, and accidentally discovered a bandit hideout. The animations are definitely different, but I can't say better or worse yet. Right now I dislike them simply because they are throwing me off so I'm missing strikes that would normally connect, but it took me quite a while to get a feel for the old game and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

No multiplayer yet as I didn't want to just get my ass kicked over and over before the sun was up.

Rahk

I played the shit out of the original, but I can't afford to get this until next week. :(

GOTY contender for sure!

shuri

Banned
I remember buying this for 5$ years ago, back then it was a just a guy doing all the coding and his wife doing the textures and modeling. The castle you started with was just a giant room with infinity skies and 3 unanimated guys waiting for you to talk to them.

it's awesome to see what it became.

Acosta

I'm going to wait a little for actual lack of money, I still have the original and I have not played as much as I wanted, but loved the concept. I'm really interested in a more polished version of that.

Soule

So I've sunk a few hours in and won a tournament and such so I feel like I'm getting somewhere... But I really feel like horseback combat isn't as responsive, i remember just racing by in the original game and hacking someone down as I strode along, now I don't think I'm getting the same speed bonuses and it feels like the reach has been nerfed :( Not very satisfying, glad to see them fleshing out the game a bit though, enjoying the new options.

Yes, purchased it:D

I've heard that the Horse having a health bar is a new thing? Maybe it's to balance multiplayer out, so people on horses are not overpowered?

I didn't like the way the Single Player was set up in the original, how does this one differ from the first ones structure?

sohois

Just so everyone knows, you can download the full version of Warband from the Taleworlds website and play it the game until your character reaches level 7, just as they did with the first game. If you decide to buy the game then you can buy a serial from their website and wont have to download or install the game again.

Edit: Link to the download page: http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx?dir=download.aspx

Also, the taleworlds website is slightly cheaper - like £1 than the steam store just so you know. not sure about other regions.

EviLore said:

I have the original and participated in the beta. Is there any sort of reduced-cost version for OG players?

(not that $30 is a lot, I'm just curious though)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Vigilant Walrus said:
Yes, purchased it:D

I've heard that the Horse having a health bar is a new thing? Maybe it's to balance multiplayer out, so people on horses are not overpowered?

The bar is new. Horses could be killed before.

Horses seem to die very easily in MP though.

JayDubya

Banned
I was an early adopter of the first game, but I won't be buying this one until I have a computer that can handle the huge battles.

Soule

Ughhhhh why did I pick realistic saving, I hate losing battles and not having my trusty sergeants by my side and having to search fucking half the map to find them :mad:

MvmntInGrn said:
I didn't like the way the Single Player was set up in the original, how does this one differ from the first ones structure?

So far i've seen slightly more variety in quests. You can also attend feasts and marry a Lady assuming you get enough renown. I think you might be able to become King in this one, too, but that seems a long way off.

I played for a few hours last night and my guy is still hunting bandits and looters. There's more people to talk to, and more options to talk about, like common peasants have a lot more information for you even, mostly about how their village is doing and such.

Aside from just more content the basic layout is pretty much the same though.

edit: oh and you can play a female character in this one, too.

Is there enough new about the game to justify buying it if you already own the first?

Some impressions about the multiplayer would also be nice.

I played the first one a lot, but this doesn't look too different.

Steeven

Wickerbasket said:
Is there enough new about the game to justify buying it if you already own the first?

Some impressions about the multiplayer would also be nice.

I played the first one a lot, but this doesn't look too different.

It's not that different. The quests are better and more interesting and the combat is more flexible.

I played a couple of MP matches last night and it sure is awesome to kill another human foe instead of the stupid AI. It's quite hilarious actually, when you're in this fight and suddenly you get stabbed in the back; you need to look everywhere. But it was hard for me to see the differences between teams in team deathmatch. Call me stupid but because everyone is engaged in epc fighting you don't alyways know who's who. Other people don't either because lots of times the enemy would just walk past me etc.

Wow, the multiplayer is awesome. Exactly what I wanted for it. Assuming you have a good connection, it is a joy to play.

In one scenario I was with an all infantry army (Rhodoks I think) vs the Khergit (basically Mongols with all calvary). Trying to fight in the open resulted in us being encircled and destroyed by their horse archers, but we eventually started hiding in a barn, with our heavy infantry holding the door with shield and spears, while our crossbowmen fired out over their heads, and it worked! Incredible.

So much potential here for excellence, especially since this game is pretty easy to mod.

One thing to note, the server browser was listing the best game for me as 240 ping, but once in game my ping was listed as 60-70ish.

Top Bottom