• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually hope for small expansions for MHW. They release a new area and then a couple new monsters to go with it and the associated new weapons, armors and so on. One big expansion would also work for me but as long as they aren't drip feeding monsters to us one at a time I think I'm good. Not a fan of how that strategy turned out in SFV.

BlizzKrut

Banned
A small correction on my part, when I said closer to Tri numbers, I didn't mean around the same number, it's more than Tri, but as I said, less than 4U, so don't expect huge numbers, but something in the middle. The point about returning monsters still remains though. I will also retain from talking further about these things as I might get info wrong (more than 1 source), and as I said, it's nothing really new, again, sorry for having to clarify, I wasn't clear enough earlier.

Anyways, what was your favorite new monster of the trailer? Why?

The snake monster looked awesome animation-wise (and design).

FrigidInbornAmericanredsquirrel.gif

Runner67

I meant World would be getting it in the form of an expansion, and, you know, the part where you don't have to buy a new console for it! If Tri got updated with more monsters people wouldn't be remembering it as the content draught MH game it was.

Ahh! Yeah that definitely should be the route they take from now on.

Loving the aesthetic of this area, easily a new favorite.

The floating jellyfish make me extremely hopeful for some large sea monsters that have evolved to swim through the air. It makes me think about monsters based on things like deep sea squids or pelican eels, without the need for poor underwater combat.

hqdefault.jpg

gulper.png

Doombear

The floating jellyfish make me extremely hopeful for some large sea monsters that have evolved to swim through the air. It makes me think about monsters based on things like deep sea squids or pelican eels, without the need for poor underwater combat.]

Hehe, your first image reminds me of Shen Gaoren... which is not good for my mental state. Also remembering that awful bloated starfish, Yama Tsukami!

KahooTs

Story bad. Big baddy bad, don't like those kind of scripted event fights that one looks certain to be. The rest of the monster hunting and monsters look good, which is the main thing.

Raide

Meeeeeee too. Though I know what like 90% of my reasons are.

Excited about graphics, but disappointment on the game itself.

Any particular reason why? It looks to be one of the best MH games in ages and a true turning point for the series overall.

Doombear

Has any game in the franchise not had a 'big scripted' baddie fight? Trying to think of one that hasn't.

Lao. Shen Gaoren. Dalamadur. Nakarkos. Gogmazios. Yama. Ceadeus. They are kind of a staple no? Even Atoraru Ka could be lumped in. Sure some are much more of a by the numbers affair, but they are always there to some extent right?

BigEmil

Meeeeeee too. Though I know what like 90% of my reasons are.

Excited about graphics, but disappointment on the game itself.
But the gameplay itself in World is the best been yet in the series, I can see newcomers still not sure about it though until they play it and give it a good try

Kinsei

Banned
Has any game in the franchise not had a 'big scripted' baddie fight? Trying to think of one that hasn't.

Lao. Shen Gaoren. Dalamadur. Nakarkos. Gogmazios. Yama. Ceadeus. They are kind of a staple no? Even Atoraru Ka could be lumped in. Sure some are much more of a by the numbers affair, but they are always there to some extent right?

I think by scripted they meant the rusted Kushala in 4U that you fought alongside the ace hunters. Not the giant monster fights.

Nephtes

Let's assume I've never played a Monster Hunter game (because I haven't)...
Assuming I like the slow paced combat of Dark Souls and I can just barely handle Destiny's end game grind, and I refuse to make potions in the Witcher III:

Will I like this game?

Any particular reason why? It looks to be one of the best MH games in ages and a true turning point for the series overall.

Their friends are split across different consoles and PC, so they won't be able to do local multiplayer like on the 3DS together this time.

Assuming I like the slow paced combat of Dark Souls and I can just barely handle Destiny's end game grind, and I refuse to make potions in the Witcher III:

Will I like this game?

Maybe.
There should be a demo before the game releases.

Doombear

I think by scripted they meant the rusted Kushala in 4U that you fought alongside the ace hunters. Not the giant monster fights.

Ah, perhaps so and I can see that being a sticky point with some. I have never minded them outside of one time. That being the Jhen Mohran fight in 3 that gated you out of advancement until you beat it. I was a solo player, and found that gate to be extremely gross. Tried a few times online, but had horrible help. The rest have always been less of an issue. I do get it though.

KahooTs

If they were talking about my post then no the ones I mean are the Ceadeus/Jhen type fights. Hate them, do not want, and it deflates my anticipation given its the monster they're hyping in the trailer.

Juraash

Their friends are split across different consoles and PC, so they won't be able to do local multiplayer like on the 3DS together this time.

Maybe.
There should be a demo before the game releases.

The loss of local co-op is the biggest negative for me for sure. Almost to the point where I'm unsure if improved gameplay, quality of life stuff or graphics can make up for it.

Will I like this game?

Depends. There should be a ton of content if it's anything like previous MH games. Tons of armor and weapons to craft, almost all with unique looks and stats. However, if you don't like to grind, you might not have fun with the <1% drop rate on some of the rarer materials required for high end gear.

The core gameplay is so goddamn fun (and challenging), you might not mind fighting the same monster a hundred times to get what you want.

Sayad

But the gameplay itself in World is the best been yet in the series, I can see newcomers still not sure about it though until they play it and give it a good try
It's less so about gameplay and more the about the platform the game is on for some.

The loss of local co-op is the biggest negative for me for sure. Almost to the point where I'm unsure if improved gameplay, quality of life stuff or graphics can make up for it.

As someone who doesn't do local co-op, worldwide servers only sweetens the deal for me on top of all the improvements.

Juraash

As someone who doesn't do local co-op, worldwide servers only sweetens the deal for me on top of all the improvements.

And that's definitely nice. Don't get me wrong, I've played a lot of online with randoms and with GAF and I enjoy it immensely. But I also got my fiance of all people on board when 4U hit. It's disappointing to have us both hyped for the game and not have the option to play locally. We both play games but it's usually stuff like Pokemon that we just play at the same time. MH was one of the few games we actually played together and that's essentially gone for us with World.

And I have almost always enjoyed the portable versions better. I loved taking my PSP with me and getting hunts in between classes or w/e. Played hundreds of hours of Freedom Unite and even got it on Vita. Same is true of the 3DS games and even XX now. So not being able to get my fix at lunch after the game launches is going to be a bummer.

Not saying I won't cave and buy it, or that it should have been on the Switch or anything else. Just that World very much clashes with how I've come to enjoy MH.

Sayad

Will I like this game?
Dark Souls might be the closest example but still, MH combat isn't exactly Souls combat.

MH grind is smoother than Destiny's, not even comparable actually, and you're never left clueless as to what's the next step to progress or having to wait for weekly events reset.

From the previous games, you never have to craft anything through the main story, crafting can make things easier but you're given enough items for each mission(+ what you can buy) to get you all the way through the main contents of the game. Crafting isn't a game changer until later high-rank and G-rank(which won't be in MHW anytime soon).

Will I like this game?

It's really impossible to know if you'll like MH until you play it, and even then it can be murky. Hell, I've fully completed 3 games in the series (MHFU, MH:p3rd and MH:3U) and I still can't tell if I actually like it, or if it's just good at keeping me hostage.

If you have a PC, I'd recommend emulating Portable 3rd (which is a fairly easy process) to see if you like the general structure. If you end up totally repulsed, World probably won't have enough core changes to convert you.

Raimond

All the die-hards complaining that it's too mainstream, well you know what... That's what saved resident evil with RE4!

Dr Thor

Neo Member
And that's definitely nice. Don't get me wrong, I've played a lot of online with randoms and with GAF and I enjoy it immensely. But I also got my fiance of all people on board when 4U hit. It's disappointing to have us both hyped for the game and not have the option to play locally. We both play games but it's usually stuff like Pokemon that we just play at the same time. MH was one of the few games we actually played together and that's essentially gone for us with World.

And I have almost always enjoyed the portable versions better. I loved taking my PSP with me and getting hunts in between classes or w/e. Played hundreds of hours of Freedom Unite and even got it on Vita. Same is true of the 3DS games and even XX now. So not being able to get my fix at lunch after the game launches is going to be a bummer.

Not saying I won't cave and buy it, or that it should have been on the Switch or anything else. Just that World very much clashes with how I've come to enjoy MH.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I can appreciate the beauty of this game, and how wonderful this is for the people who constantly begged for a console MH for years since 3U.

But I'm in a full-time job that generally goes way beyond 40 hours/week, my wife uses the TV a ton and loves to watch TV with me, so part of the reason I've loved MH so much is that I can squeeze portable hunts into my spare time -- while commuting or on the couch while my wife indulges in shows I don't need to pay much attention to.

There's no way in hell I'll get anywhere near as much time with MHW, and I've already got a PS4 backlog because of these issues anyway, so as much as I want a new MH I'll probably take a pass and import MHXX for Switch instead. I've got a 400 hour savegame from my JP 3DS I can import and there's still plenty of grinding left to do, so at least that's something.

Juraash

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I can appreciate the beauty of this game, and how wonderful this is for the people who constantly begged for a console MH for years since 3U.

But I'm in a full-time job that generally goes way beyond 40 hours/week, my wife uses the TV a ton and loves to watch TV with me, so part of the reason I've loved MH so much is that I can squeeze portable hunts into my spare time -- while commuting or on the couch while my wife indulges in shows I don't need to pay much attention to.

There's no way in hell I'll get anywhere near as much time with MHW, and I've already got a PS4 backlog because of these issues anyway, so as much as I want a new MH I'll probably take a pass and import MHXX for Switch instead. I've got a 400 hour savegame from my JP 3DS I can import and there's still plenty of grinding left to do, so at least that's something.

We are definitely of similar situations. MHXX is fun (I like it better than Gen/X for what it's worth) and there is a small, but active group of us playing. Having a save you can import will let you jump right in and not have to so much catching up.

Xane

You have to live with the consequence of gaming on an open plataform and this is an issue that can potentially plague any PC game.

Do you know what's the best feature of Monster Hunter World on PS4 for me? Not having to deal with all of those hackers that ran around on the PSP and 3DS games. No longer will I have stop and question a player's gear because it was extremely infuriating having to open up Athena's A.S.S to check if a player's gear set was legit every time I ran into a player that seemed to good on the set of skills he had.

Now I can simply Hunt without worry because hacking on PS4 isn't possible at the moment.

I couldn't agree more. Hence why I'm considering playing on both PS4 and PC. Latter only because I have some friends who do not own a PS4.

Hybris

Let's maybe hold off on declaring the gameplay the best in the series until after we have played it.

Ridley327

Are they letting the public try out Nergigante, or is that strictly Capcom showing it off for themselves? It'd be kinda crazy to let people have a crack at an elder dragon, especially when they're so frequently end-game content.

raven777

Are they letting the public try out Nergigante, or is that strictly Capcom showing it off for themselves? It'd be kinda crazy to let people have a crack at an elder dragon, especially when they're so frequently end-game content.

This particular one seems like from the stage event where developer is playing it..

From Gaijin Hunter:

"Nergigante regens skin as it attacks and is attacked. This generates white spikes. If you don’t break them they harden and boost its atk"

Top Bottom