• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

MrNelson

Banned
Thanks for this. I'll go ahead and stick it in the OP
assuming anyone new to the thread looks at the OP anymore.
914dlcillumtw.png
Spotlight pass keeps on delivering. I'm glad to see that A7X is still willing to put tracks in the game.

So, against my better judgement I bought this week's A7X song because it looks like a lot of our crew isn't this week so I'm gonna set scores. So here's this weeks DLC impressions, stem confirmations and first playthrough scores.

"God Damn" - Avenged Sevenfold - [Guitar: Devil Tier | Drums: Devil Tier | Vocals: Tier 4 | Bass: Devil Tier]
Expert Guitar: 173,124 | 99% Notes Hit (1195/1214) | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 173,614 | 100% Notes Hit (810/810) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: God daaaaamn the fucking stems in this song are wretched. Easily the worst DIY job I've heard since Megadeth's "Trust". It's so fucking obvious when missing notes that every other track takes a massive dip in quality, muffling like crazy, they really shat the bed with this one and it's a shame that it's the first stemless A7X song in the game after well over a dozen tracks. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is a safe bet though as it's an RB1 setlist song, so purchase away.

DLC Impressions: God Damn is actually really fun on both guitar and bass this week. The main riff on both guitar and bass consists of really rapid alt-strumming before moving right on to zig-zag hammer-ons between green and red frets. The guitar though has rapid alt-strummed triplets that go back and forth at a crazy pace which I could never hit consistently, it's my kryptonite! There's a fairly laid back solo with some quick hammer-on snaking towards the end and this rad ass acoustic alt-strumming riff that changes it's pattern constantly. And the bass is constantly changing it's pace and rhythm throughout as well. So yeah, both guitar and bass are fun as fuck. Just a shame about the abhorrent DIY stem job.

Stemless? Really? Didn't The Stage have stems, and this is from the same album.

Suddenly that season pass to sell DIY stems theory is starting to sound less like bullshit.

vg260

Stem Confirmations: God daaaaamn the fucking stems in this song are wretched. Easily the worst DIY job I've heard since Megadeth's "Trust". It's so fucking obvious when missing notes that every other track takes a massive dip in quality, muffling like crazy, they really shat the bed with this one and it's a shame that it's the first stemless A7X song in the game after well over a dozen tracks. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is a safe bet though as it's an RB1 setlist song, so purchase away.

Ugh. Thanks for the warning. That sucks.

Stemless? Really? Didn't The Stage have stems, and this is from the same album.

Suddenly that season pass to sell DIY stems theory is starting to sound less like bullshit.

I don't want this to be true, but yeah.

FyreWulff

Upon further investigation, it appears God Damn is possibly a hybrid (like I Can See For Miles)

Vocals can be turned off completely - this means vocals are separated.

Same with Guitar. Guitar leaves completely, and does not do anything to the other instruments.

However, if you miss on bass, the entire bass frequency drops out of the song, affecting vocals and drums. The kicks sound like practice drum kickpads.

So this either means bass was DIY (for some reason?) and therefore holds all the bass frequences in it's DIY stem, or Drums and Bass are on the same stem. I don't have drums so I can't test what happens to the song when they stop playing.

Juke is our best strings player and a bassist so coming in on bass first would definitely immediately feel like the song is 100% stemless.

Also, the song is poorly mastered in the first place. It's brickwalled like a motherfucker.

MrNelson

Banned
Just checked for myself, and drum track is also properly separated, so I guess God Damn is 3/4 with stems and the bass is tied in to something else.

Just checked for myself, and drum track is also properly separated, so I guess God Damn is 3/4 with stems and the bass is tied in to something else.

Oh, well that's weird. So basically Harmonix got screwy masters? Or it's a fault with the game, like the volume issues we've had with other songs. Either way, it's basically as split as it could be, I guess. So we're back on that bullshit theory being bullshit. Got it.

I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion tommorow's DLC is going to be RB:VR tracks. "Birds" by Coldplay and "Casual Party" by Band of Horses are my guesses!

Note: Amazon did have the Legacy Adapter up for $15 so I grabbed one.

Hopefully RBRivals digital will go one sale sometime ever so I don't have to switch discs.

FyreWulff

GAF B Sides promotes to Diamond the first time around this season on the back of Juke Joint Jezebel's 223 song plays for 86,000+xp and the majority of the spotlight scores, with X Ray Monster and Pr0hibited also with significant plays that I can't pull up anymore because Harmonix doesn't let you view the crew screen after a challenge ends anymore.

Juke: 86,153 xp / 714,536 spotlight
X Ray: 27,722 xp
Pro: 21,640 xp / 548,555 spotlight
Fyre: 8,473 xp
Furizzly: 6,883 xp
Nubaron: 3,714 xp
JWitjeS: 2,932 xp
Komakaze: 1,526 xp
FallOut: 290 xp

Definitely awesome work by Juke with all the plays. Thanks for carrying us this week! We are all going to have to play that much this week if we hope to hit Bloodstone aren't we?

FyreWulff

Definitely awesome work by Juke with all the plays. Thanks for carrying us this week! We are all going to have to play that much this week if we hope to hit Bloodstone aren't we?

It's technically a vacation week as the first bloodstone week is usually pretty lulz to try and promote in. At this stage we need a 95+ spotlight percentile to even have a chance to promote with tons of XP

It looks like it'll be the bass week though so i'll be playing a lot for that sweet bonus xp for my favorite instrument
I originally assumed we'd pass on this week, and then we spotlighted outta nowhere..

It's technically a vacation week as the first bloodstone week is usually pretty lulz to try and promote in. At this stage we need a 95+ spotlight percentile to even have a chance to promote with tons of XP

It looks like it'll be the bass week though so i'll be playing a lot for that sweet bonus xp for my favorite instrument
I originally assumed we'd pass on this week, and then we spotlighted outta nowhere..

Speaking of Spotlight scores. I've been meaning to ask about that popup I get when I start a Spotlight song on Pro Drums. Am I screwing myself out of better scores by not playing regular drums on those songs? Not sure how the conversions from Pro Drums to Drums score works.

Speaking of Spotlight scores. I've been meaning to ask about that popup I get when I start a Spotlight song on Pro Drums. Am I screwing myself out of better scores by not playing regular drums on those songs? Not sure how the conversions from Pro Drums to Drums score works.

Game optimally recognizes regular expert drums scores for spotlight scores I think.

Patch is out today to fix the checking setlist bug, and a few other fixes.

Also they posted a picture on their social feeds teasing a future song, and Storm360 predicted Burnin For You. And I think he’s right.

HMX seemed quite upset at the dude who leaked it so it most likely is! Question is: Which version is it going to be?

The 1981 Original from "Fire of Unknown Origin"?

Or...

The 1993 Re-Record off of "Cult Classics"

I'm happy with either to be honest as the re-record is pretty fucking good as well. And might be more likely to have stems than the 80's original.

Please be the original. Only way to roll.

And this reminds me I want Burn by Deep Purple in this game.

FyreWulff

Yeah in this "no masters are possible to release as songs" era there's no reason to go with the re-record unless it's pretty much the same thing.

tbh now I wish they'd just put out the original Dream On

FyreWulff

Yes please.

We still got songs they can use to put in a pack, too

Last Child
Dream On
Mama Kin
Walk This Way (Run DMC Version)
Kings and Queens
Draw The Line
Same Old Song and Dance

edit: also, Rock Band 4 updated today. It's supposed to fix a couple of issues, and the Checking Setlist bug. 7.8GB

Well, the DLC just came out so here's my first playthrough scores, impressions and stem confirmations for this week's tracks!

”Super Freak" - Rick James - [Guitar: Tier 1 | Bass: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 1 | Vocals: Tier 5]
Expert Guitar: 61,286 | 100% Notes Hit (433/433) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 98,121 | 100% Notes Hit (485/485) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”Float" - Switchfoot - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 208,590 | 100% Notes Hit (657/657) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 124,671 | 100% Notes Hit (622/622) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: ”Float" is 100% legit. With it being an RB:VR setlist song there's absolutely no muffling of other tracks or overall track degradation when missing notes on your own instrument. ”Super Freak" makes it a double whammy this week, which leaves a good first impression for all future Dropmix tracks that may come RB4's way as well. So yeah, stem enthusiasts can go right ahead and purchase both tracks this week!

DLC Impressions: ”Float" has a pretty nifty guitar riff. Which mainly consists or short bursts of double strummed chords early on and then an off-beat alt-strumming section having you switch between 3 note chords and single nots up and down the fretboard. So yeah, not too shabby for a tier 2 chart. Bass is fantastic, a really fun bouncy little bass riff with tons of little hammer-on flourishes rising up and down the guitar neck, switches up a few times between choruses and verses. One of the best bass charts we've had in RB4 so far in my opinion. ”Super Freak" is pretty minimal on both guitar (Well, charted to the oberheim) and bass, with a steady spaced up climb up and down the fretboard over and over. The main difference in both charts is when the ”She's Alright!" part hits, the guitar has this groovy as fuck set of gallops ending in a 2 note chord each time, and the bass zig zags steadily back and forth until ending higher up on the fretboard. So yeah, not going to impress anyone but hey, it's Rick James....bitch! Totally worth grabbing for parties and for such an iconic song.

FyreWulff

Current outlay for the spotlight pass/pack:

Stupid Girl - Garbage
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
God Damn - Avenged Sevenfold
Super Freak - Rick James
Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult
???
???

Now to wait for the preview trailer to see if it's the 93 version or the 81 version. Either way, it's a winner!

Owl confirmed it's not the 90s re-record.

edit: preview video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRL8tQsLeQ&feature=youtu.be

Top Bottom