• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

cereal_killerxx

I was planning on waiting a while before getting a Switch... after those tidbits I don't know if I can! The new footage looks fantastic! I need to host a bake sale or something. Gotta come up with the monies for the bundle.

3D world's environments were several orders of magnitude smaller, and the camera only let you see a fraction of it, not to mention the very simplistic (yet effective) texture work. By comparison, odyssey is much bigger and detailed, though I don't like the lower framerate.
What's the framerate?

Yonafunu

3D world's environments were several orders of magnitude smaller, and the camera only let you see a fraction of it, not to mention the very simplistic (yet effective) texture work. By comparison, odyssey is much bigger and detailed, though I don't like the lower framerate.

huh?

they're both 60 fps tho

I actually think the footage from the Direct (and this recent footage) makes the visuals look far, far better than they were previously. The varied environments prevent them from sticking with a single art theme, but everything from the textures, models and lighting looks far and away better than 3D World, and definitely a step up from what we first saw in January and even E3.

I wish I had the willpower for a media blackout.

This looks like Galaxy 2 except shot up with drugs
Gonna be awesome
giphy.gif

Roo

Something with the colors just look a bit off. They don't pop to me.
That's because the game takes a more "realistic" approach compared to 3D World, a game with a beautiful cartoony style.

Lighting, textures, shaders everything is way more detailed.

The hit in graphics is noticeable compared to 3D World. It might be on par with Galaxy aside from it being a higher resolution. The gameplay looks fun though.

PSA: The subset of people who think Nintendo's games look like crap are coming out of the woodwork again. Ignore them. They don't know what they're talking about.

Someone already has the game? Anyway, Bonneton's look and theme really reminds me of Halloween Town in kingdom hearts. I like it.

i dont think they are his videos based on looking at his channel he reuploads videos rather than puts out his own content

PSA: The subset of people who think Nintendo's games look like crap are coming out of the woodwork again. Ignore them. They don't know what they're talking about.

Yet I praised a Nintendo game, 3D World, in the same sentence for looking better to my own eyes. The game is very smooth in terms of animation and the gameplay looks fun, but the levels just aren't doing it for me from what I've seen so far. People who can't accept a differing opinion on something as subjective as graphics should be ignored.

Everything about the game has been incredible, especially the music.

Also it looks better and more fun than 3D World, which I was pretty "whatever" on. Creativity goes a long way.

Neiteio

I like this game's effort to canonize every obscure outfit Mario's ever worn, from Mario Picross and Game & Watch Gallery 2, to the N64DD Mario Artist and a jpop ad campaign for the N3DS. And of course bringing back Pauline with the legitimacy of a 3D Mario title is just the greatest thing ever. (Mario vs. DK is whatever)

I like this game's effort to canonize every obscure outfit Mario's ever worn, from Mario Picross and Game & Watch Gallery 2, to the N64DD Mario Artist and a jpop ad campaign for the N3DS. And of course bringing back Pauline with the legitimacy of a 3D Mario title is just the greatest thing ever. (Mario vs. DK is whatever)
Every game is better with tons of costumes.

Neiteio

Nice to see it resurface - hopefully the rest of the costumes for that ad will make it into actual games at some point as well, though given Odyssey's comprehensiveness is kind of an outlier, I'm not expecting it.
I could see Isabelle getting her dress from those ads in a future Animal Crossing

Yet I praised a Nintendo game, 3D World, in the same sentence for looking better to my own eyes. The game is very smooth in terms of animation and the gameplay looks fun, but the levels just aren't doing it for me from what I've seen so far. People who can't accept a differing opinion on something as subjective as graphics should be ignored.

It's ironic that you have no idea what you're talking about but are talking down to others who do.

sleepnaught

I'm very disappointed by the level design. I was worried already back when they told us it was outside of the mushroom kingdom, but I kept an open mind. The cap kingdom in particular just looks uninspired, like a bad Yooka Laylee level. The seaside level also looks boring, nothing looks exciting making me want to explore. It's the same for the rest of the kingdoms they showed off. They just look wide open and empty. I hope there's plenty more of these kingdoms we're not seeing because I want to love this game so much.

cordy

Banned
I'm very disappointed by the level design. I was worried already back when they told us it was outside of the mushroom kingdom, but I kept an open mind. The cap kingdom in particular just looks uninspired, like a bad Yooka Laylee level. The seaside level also looks boring, nothing looks exciting making me want to explore. It's the same for the rest of the kingdoms they showed off. They just look wide open and empty. I hope there's plenty more of these kingdoms we're not seeing because I want to love this game so much.

YCeDNhP.gif

I think the cap kingdom will be really limited as the tutorial level

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm with you

You're the one who claimed it looks like an HD Wii game . That's not really a subjective statement.

I can say Uncharted 4 looks like a PS3 game and claim it's my opinion, but that doesn't mean it's valid.

It's (formerly) EAD Tokyo.
Don't ever compare a game produced by Koizumi to fucking Yooka Laylee of all games.
tenor.gif

Top Bottom