• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i wouldn't mind my friends saying a offensive word if they just quoting a song. but then i am extremely white and privileged what do i know, i will respect it.

You realize this sounds like "My right to correctly sing the lyrics to a song out loud supercede your right not to have friends use racial slurs around you," right?

I don't know if you actually mean that - but that's what it reads like.

I wrote an essay about this once a few years ago:

"A White Person's Guide to the Proper Usage of Their Brand New Ghetto Pass."

It's a weird, awkward subject to be sure, with no real set answer. The shit is situational, really, and depends on your level of friendship and trust. Especially considering the stakes (can I sing this out loud in front of people) are relatively low.

No I'm not saying its OK if your friend is offended and asked you not to say it in front of them(as someone stated before in a cool headed manner) but threatening a friend with physical violence for saying it during a song in karaoke is ridiculous. Can it be avoided sure and maybe it should be but it should never promote a violent reaction given the context.

Dereck

uDtTb.jpg
Rap legend

You know what you can and can't say.

People like to split atoms to parse the why's and why nots for things like this...and many of the people who do this - in my experience anyway - are the kind of people who would say these words anyway.

Anyway, live and let live.

Gattsu25

Banned
If the reciting is in a white person's samey-sounding acoustic rendition of the song, which accounts for half of the hip hop songs posted on GAF, it sometimes seems, then that is A-Okay

No I'm not saying its OK if your friend is offended and asked you not to say it in front of them(as someone stated before in a cool headed manner) but threatening a friend with physical violence for saying it during a song in karaoke is ridiculous. Can it be avoided sure and maybe it should be but it should never promote a violent reaction given the context.

I get you, and as CornBurrito pointed out, the opposite of my take would be "People with a certain skin color should not be allowed to recite song lyrics because I cannot determine the difference between reciting song lyrics and actual racism."

I guess it's just - it's such a low-stakes victory to claim, (I get to sing a song out loud in front of you that says words I otherwise would never say) that the potential problems it could raise seems to be way more trouble than its worth.

Sure, should the word be defanged/depowered? Of course. Will it be? probably not in our lifetimes. So again, it comes down to courtesy/balance/trust in whatever your friendship is. It's situational.

I get you, and as CornBurrito pointed out, the opposite of my take would be "People with a certain skin color should not be allowed to recite song lyrics because I cannot determine the difference between reciting song lyrics and actual racism."

I guess it's just - it's such a low-stakes victory to claim, (I get to sing a song out loud in front of you that says words I otherwise would never say) that the potential problems it could raise seems to be way more trouble than its worth.

Sure, should the word be defanged/depowered? Of course. Will it be? probably not in our lifetimes. So again, it comes down to courtesy/balance/trust in whatever your friendship is. It's situational.
Very. I don't say it but I also don't think every time its said it should start a fight.

Whatever.

Anyone is free to quote anyone.

Anyone is free to sing anyone's song.

If you don't like hearing someone sing a song then you need to put some blame on the writer of the song.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I generally don't care.

Be careful who you do it around though. Seriously.
You know what you can and can't say.

People like to split atoms to parse the why's and why nots for things like this...and many of the people who do this - in my experience anyway - are the kind of people who would say these words anyway.

Anyway, live and let live.

Of course. And its always funny how some people look for any reason they can to say nigga.

ooooh living life on the edge etc

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
All about context. If I know what you mean it still comes off the same. Hold your tongue or not, your meaning follows the presentation.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I just tell my friends not to say the N word around me if it's present in the song. They can rap all the want, but you better censor it unless you want to deal with the checking that will sure as hell follow.

You're honest about it at least.

I've got "better" about people just going wild in the car on some song but every once in a while I end up staring someone down over it.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I feel like anyone that cares about this and makes a big deal out of it when they hear it is a bigger part of the problem than they would like to believe.

I feel like anyone that cares about this and makes a big deal out of it when they hear it is a bigger part of the problem than they would like to believe.

Please explain what "the problem" is, and how exactly it is that people who care about this contribute more to "the problem" than the Miley Cyrus's of the world?

not black, but the word is annoying to hear no matter who uses it.

i work/go to school in nyc, so i hear it from everywhere. it's just annoying to listen to, especially at work.

My "black friends" don't have a problem other people using it, but it irks that they let it go like it's nothing.

not black, but the word is annoying to hear no matter who uses it.

i work/go to school in nyc, so i hear it from everywhere. it's just annoying to listen to, especially at work.

My "black friends" don't have a problem other people using it, but it irks that they let it go like it's nothing.

I wish I had black friends, too.

Let me ammend what I said I used to say it but after hearing it used so much at work/school the word just annoys me now.

I use "boss" or "hoss" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom